shape
carat
color
clarity

My daughter is switching political party after she ..

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
telephone89|1456350274|3995105 said:
Thanks for the clarification JoCoJenn.

I guess my point is that, I don't see this as abuse. She's still buying food. She isn't buying a boat load of abalone, like she could say, Corn pops. She is buying a small, but still expensive amount. I look at it like: You can buy a 12oz striploin or you can buy a 6oz filet. Still food, costs the same, but one is smaller. Do you fault people (even on food stamps) for buying a smaller portion of something they deem better quality? (I will take the 12oz all day!)
And I truly believe that if someone wants to have 1 great meal, and spend the other 29 days eating rice/corn pops/water, then they can. Even if the govt paid for that 1 meal.

I would be upset if she were peddling the $ for booze or drugs. That is abuse of the system IMO. Or even if she bought lettuce and then tried to sell it on the street for $ - abuse. But buying a small bit of something expensive doesn't make it abuse in and of itself to me.

Honestly, in this scenario DF shared, there is really no telling what ALL the facts are about the person buying the tuna. It could have been her mother's 'dying wish' meal; could be she wanted to have (as you said) one fab meal for the month; or she could have had someone offer her $80 in cash for the two cans of tuna, and she in turn used the cash to get drugs. And, it also could be that DF's daughter was mistaken in what she saw, and that the shopper ... really didn't use food stamps to buy the tuna, and we've all just debated a non-issue for three pages. :lol:

I look at it (as I do most things) from a common sense perspective - the intent is to provide a family (who otherwise would be starving to death, by reading some of these posts) with nutritional assistance for a set duration (e.g., X amount for the month); the intent is not to allow recipients to go all hog wild on one meal per month while their family eats ketchup sandwiches the other 29 days. IF that were the case, then all of those posting "we gotta take care of the children/starving/hungry" should be furious! :lol:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
I have to admit that I really love threads like these - they are so good at revealing a person's general character.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1456352002|3995126 said:
I have to admit that I really love threads like these - they are so good at revealing a person's general character.

Probably a good topic for a different thread, but I personally choose not to judge someone's "general character" based on a couple of their opinions posted on a forum; that to me would be like judging a diamond as a 'good buy' sight unseen and based solely on it having a GIA report. You don't really know how brilliant it is or how big a dud it is ... until you really get to know it.

There are a LOT of people on here and in my personal circle whose opinions (be them political, social, religious, whatever) I disagree with, but I certainly wouldn't and don't pass character judgment on them for it. And I don't like them any less because we differ. Some of them are very admirable in their passion for things.

I think I'll go start that thread now. :wavey:

katharath

Ideal_Rock
JoCoJenn|1456352904|3995136 said:

Probably a good topic for a different thread, but I personally choose not to judge someone's "general character" based on a couple of their opinions posted on a forum; that to me would be like judging a diamond as a 'good buy' sight unseen and based solely on it having a GIA report. You don't really know how brilliant it is or how big a dud it is ... until you really get to know it.

There are a LOT of people on here and in my personal circle whose opinions (be them political, social, religious, whatever) I disagree with, but I certainly wouldn't and don't pass character judgment on them for it. And I don't like them any less because we differ. Some of them are very admirable in their passion for things.

I don't believe I said anything about passing judgement, but it could be interpreted as being rather revealing that you think I did. :)

telephone89

Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1456351523|3995123 said:
Honestly, in this scenario DF shared, there is really no telling what ALL the facts are about the person buying the tuna. It could have been her mother's 'dying wish' meal; could be she wanted to have (as you said) one fab meal for the month; or she could have had someone offer her $80 in cash for the two cans of tuna, and she in turn used the cash to get drugs. And, it also could be that DF's daughter was mistaken in what she saw, and that the shopper ... really didn't use food stamps to buy the tuna, and we've all just debated a non-issue for three pages. :lol:

I look at it (as I do most things) from a common sense perspective - the intent is to provide a family (who otherwise would be starving to death, by reading some of these posts) with nutritional assistance for a set duration (e.g., X amount for the month); the intent is not to allow recipients to go all hog wild on one meal per month while their family eats ketchup sandwiches the other 29 days. IF that were the case, then all of those posting "we gotta take care of the children/starving/hungry" should be furious! :lol:
Fair enough, and I don't disagree with that at all! We don't know the situation, so judgement (either direction) is futile. And I 100% agree that people SHOULDN'T go 'hog wild' as you say ( :lol: ) but to get so flustered about it (ie switching parties) seems a bit..drastic?

Good discussion/idea for a post though!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1456342083|3995001 said:
We have the absolute right (and duty) to question how our government spends our tax dollars on things like roads, military, the latest GAO boondoggle, and a bunch of other things. And people here are even questioning how corporations spend THEIR money. Why would we NOT have the right to also question the legitimacy, purpose and use (or abuse) of a public assistance program paid for with those same tax dollars? What, so someone's feelings aren't hurt? Newsflash - if you didn't want side eye for how you spend your food stamps, don't buy shit that EARNS you some side eye. NO ONE needs a $75 can of tuna! And the only person who has a RIGHT to it is someone who doesn't rely on others or public assistance to buy it. Sorry, not sorry!

It matters not to me if it's a government employee staying at a $300/nt hotel when there is a perfectly good $100/nt hotel in town, or someone who is abusing welfare benefits to buy $75 cans of tuna (instead of buying multiple heads of lettuce, packages of meat, bags of fozen vegetables, bulk eggs, etc.) Abuse is abuse - PERIOD. And I'm not going to be made to feel bad with "oh, her mother might have been dying and it's her last meal" hypothetical nonsense, and I really refuse to feel bad because I own a nice home that I worked darn hard for ... as a single mother ... without money from anyone to do it! And I'm not anyone special ... I just used my brain.

And before someone comes at me with some "well not everyone was born with a Tiffany silver spoon in their mouth" nonsense, just know that I wasn't either! My mother relied on food stamps when I was young, and she ONLY stayed on it until she got a job (not a high paying job with big benefits either; just slightly above minimum wage). And even then, we still ate a lot of the same spaghetti, PB&J sandwiches, canned veggies, eggs, and God-awful liver as when we were on assistance. Ya know what we didn't eat? $75 cans of freakin' tuna! Ya know what else - I learned from that experience ... that if I didn't want to be in that same boat, I needed to make better choices in my life - as a teen and as an adult, so I did, and I feel ZERO guilt for it!

And don't even get me started with this 'wealth redistribution' nonsense. How do you go from being all "don't judge the poor" to saying "those rich people don't need all that money" in the same breath? It's pretty darn judgy & hypocritical! You have no better idea what that rich person did to EARN their money any better than you do if the tuna can girl's mother was on her deathbed. :roll: To tell someone (who used their savings, double mortgaged their home if they had one, spent countless hours away from their family, taking ALL the risk to create something that gives others jobs) that they needed to give me their money ... just because they have "too much" by my standards and I don't like flipping burgers or whatevs ... really? I would hope that person would knock my block off and hopefully bring me back to my senses.

EVERYONE has & makes choices in life, and with those choices come good & bad consequences. You have the right to life, liberty and the PURSUIT of happiness (meaning go find/make your OWN happiness); not for that 'happiness' to be served up to you at others' expense. The only caveat there IMO being IF someone is truly incapable of caring/providing for themselves (children, handicapped/disabled, etc.).

How dare you judge!

Just kidding. BRAVO to this entire post!! Finally some common sense. :appl: :appl:

The reality is that people DO abuse the system all the time. It's time to stop being PC and stop saying it doesn't matter. It does matter because it's wrong.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
katharath|1456353477|3995144 said:
I don't believe I said anything about passing judgement, but it could be interpreted as being rather revealing that you think I did. :)

I'm not saying your initial comment was directed at me, but I have thick skin and confidence in my moral compass, so for the sake of argument (and sparing someone else's feelings), let's assume you mean me. :D

To say one is "revealing their general character" with what they post insinuates that the viewer/s of that 'reveal' may make an assumption or judgment about the person.

I'm not really sure how else that would be interpreted, or what someone could otherwise mean with that statement. Perhaps you can clarify what you meant, if that was not the case.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
JoCoJenn|1456352904|3995136 said:

I agree. And isn't it being "judgmental" to judge someone's character based on their posts :confused: :lol: ;-)

hay joe

Shiny_Rock
AGBF|1456286792|3994767 said:
hay joe|1456281785|3994726 said:
It's just proof that if you take money from responsible people and give it to the irresponsible it will be wasted. Obviously that person has no respect for the people the money was taken from. There are people who are truly in need and there are people who will work a system that feeds fraud.

Who said the poor are irresponsible?

You have professed to being a Catholic. Tune in and listen to the Pope. He has been travelling the globe in support of the poor. Or listen to The Bible. God gave food to the poor many times in stories in the Bible, both in the Old and New Testaments.

"After this Jesus went away to the other side of the Sea of Galilee, which is the Sea of Tiberias. And a large crowd was following him, because they saw the signs that he was doing on the sick. Jesus went up on the mountain, and there he sat down with his disciples. Now the Passover, the feast of the Jews, was at hand. Lifting up his eyes, then, and seeing that a large crowd was coming toward him, Jesus said to Philip, “Where are we to buy bread, so that these people may eat?” ..."

John 6:1-71 ESV

I am a Catholic.
You are putting your own twist on what I wrote. I meant what I wrote, nothing more. The bait won't be taken.
I am a Catholic

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Maybe instead of some people buying these other people bread so that they may eat, we should teach them to fish so they can feed themselves.

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am atheist.
I am atheist.

Like, Whoop De Doo! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Nobody gives a shit what dressing you put on your salad.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kenny|1456356794|3995180 said:
I am atheist.
I am atheist.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

They care if it's super expensive salad dressing!

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
monarch64|1456357082|3995182 said:

Touché

hay joe

Shiny_Rock
Here fishy fishy

OreoRosies86

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't care if that salad dressing makes you feel human for 10 minutes out of your day, put it back urchin! Back to the potatoes!

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
monarch64|1456357082|3995182 said:
kenny|1456356794|3995180 said:
I am atheist.
I am atheist.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Only if you're paying w/welfare.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are things we're never going to get to discuss

;)) ;)) ;)) ;))

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Elliot86|1456357402|3995189 said:
I don't care if that salad dressing makes you feel human for 10 minutes out of your day, put it back urchin! Back to the potatoes!

I mean, I don't know about blowing your whole month's food budget on two cans of pricey abalone that is considered a delicacy--that does seem a bit ridiculous. But yeah, when people get all "omg they were buying Kool-Aid and cookies and a sheet cake with my hard-earned tax dollars!" I do get a very classist vibe. It blows my mind that one human being thinks another doesn't deserve any sort of pleasure in life because tax dollars. (Not saying anyone here has said that AT ALL, just an example!)

Packrat, I agree about teaching people to fish. SNAP benefits include seeds and plants to grow your own food. Here in our town we have community gardens and orchards. Anyone can come volunteer and then harvest whatever they want. I feel like that is a start to helping people get off public assistance. I would love to see the program end one day but not because I'm a big old conservative meanie.

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I make my own dressing ... a kickass lemon-garlic vinaigrette. I could drink that stuff! :lickout:

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
packrat|1456357502|3995193 said:

;)) ;)) ;)) ;))

But But But ...
I'm under orders to rub this in every chance I get.
It strengthens every argument I make ... and it spreads the good news.

I'm an atheist.
I'm an atheist.

screen_shot_2016-02-24_at_4.png

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
VRBeauty|1456338808|3994979 said:
part gypsy|1456332226|3994933 said:
I thought this run a bell, you posted another food stamp scam earlier, with lobsters

Dancing Fire|1396463434|3645973 said:
I posted this story on PS a few years ago...

I was in line at an Asian market waiting to pay for my stuff. This guy walks up to the cashier and asked "do you take food stamp for live lobsters .. :o " LOBSTERS??? Wednesday, Thurs, Friday... you are on food stamps and having lobsters for dinner on taxpayer's money?... :angryfire: This kind of BS happens all the time at Asian grocery stores. I saw this lady buy (5) $100 can of abalone like it was Campbell soup.. :angryfire: I even heard her saying ...I will receive more food stamps in the mail tomorrow.

Well DF must've dreamed that one, because "food stamps" haven't been sent in the mail in years. The credit is deposited to an account electronically.

Is the type of dreams you dream heredetary...? :think:
I know that it had been change to plastic now, but it is still under the same program. Ok, I'll call it plastic food stamp card... :tongue:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Okay, this is really funny because - crazy face aside - that is almost exactly how I pictured you might look. :lol:

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1456360436|3995234 said:
VRBeauty|1456338808|3994979 said:
part gypsy|1456332226|3994933 said:
I thought this run a bell, you posted another food stamp scam earlier, with lobsters

Dancing Fire|1396463434|3645973 said:
I posted this story on PS a few years ago...

I was in line at an Asian market waiting to pay for my stuff. This guy walks up to the cashier and asked "do you take food stamp for live lobsters .. :o " LOBSTERS??? Wednesday, Thurs, Friday... you are on food stamps and having lobsters for dinner on taxpayer's money?... :angryfire: This kind of BS happens all the time at Asian grocery stores. I saw this lady buy (5) $100 can of abalone like it was Campbell soup.. :angryfire: I even heard her saying ...I will receive more food stamps in the mail tomorrow.

Well DF must've dreamed that one, because "food stamps" haven't been sent in the mail in years. The credit is deposited to an account electronically.

Is the type of dreams you dream heredetary...? :think:
I know that it had been change to plastic now, but it is still under the same program. Ok, I'll call it plastic food stamp card... :tongue:

DF, you can call it whatever you want, but in 2008 it was renamed so "stamp" isn't even part of the program anymore. You can call it "food card." :D

"The 2008 farm bill renamed the Food Stamp Program as the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (beginning October 2008) and replaced all references to "stamp" or "coupon" in federal law to "card" or "EBT."[13][14]"--Wikipedia

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
House Cat|1456332842|3994935 said:
DF,

If you believe all public assistance should end, how will the children of these people without jobs be fed? How will they be clothed? Where will they live?
I'd believe in temporary public assistance, b/c some people do go through tough times in lives, but don't make it a career living off of public assistance...go find a job and support the family.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bonfire|1456343050|3995018 said:
Right on JoCoJenn!!! :clap: :clap:
Yup, JoCo for President in 2016!... :appl: :appl:

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
JoCoJenn|1456343797|3995025 said:
@Monarch - I am not trying to be nosy or obtrusive. But when the wait is excessive because someone is divying up their payment 5 ways, yeah ... I look to see what the hold up is ... just like when I pass an accident that had me sitting in traffic for 20 minutes. I certainly don't make faces at the person or grab the mic from the cashier and announce that the person in front of me is "on the dole". :lol:
When my daughter was maybe like 5 yrs old a guy in front of us was paying for his groceries with food stamps, and she asked me out loud...daddy,daddy why is he using "play money"?...I was... :oops:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Dancing Fire|1456362884|3995252 said:
When my daughter was maybe like 5 yrs old a guy in front of us was paying for his groceries with food stamps, and she asked me out loud...daddy,daddy why is he using "play money"?...I was... :oops:

OMG! :-o

My daughter did something similar in terms of embarrassing me at a checkout once; she was about the same age and waving a tampon she'd found in my purse around like a light saber while I was busy swiping my debit card. :oops:

hay joe

Shiny_Rock

"they are so good at revealing a person's general character" they sure are.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bonfire|1456342700|3995010 said:
This is certainly a very thought provoking and passionate topic. Poverty has always been around and always will be, that's a very sad fact. Until there is a complete overhaul to our tax code, nothing will change. Equal education opportunities for all children. Job creation (and who creates those jobs?). But As a middle class tax payer, we are getting TAXED TO DEATH. Everyone needs to pay their fair share. Not just squeezing the middle class. Welfare was not created as a long term solution.
The rich!.. :silenced:
Please tell that to Prez Obama... ;))

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
hay joe|1456356044|3995168 said:
You are putting your own twist on what I wrote. I meant what I wrote, nothing more. The bait won't be taken.

Joe-

I am not going to try to discuss religion with you anymore. I do want to discuss conversation, however. In my opinion, if I respond to something you wrote, I am not "putting my own twist on it". I am giving you my thoughts on it. That is what happens on a forum. It is called discussion. If it is done with civility, there is nothing wrong with it. And it isn't really offering bait because I am not trying to land a fish; I am trying to express my views and, possibly, get you to explain something you said that did not make sense to me. Discussion.

And, as has been said by others here before, participation in these discussion threads is optional.

AGBF

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results