shape
carat
color
clarity

My CvB Spring Gulch indulgence - a hairpin for spring

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i missed the detail that you got the ring separately and added the finish....sweet!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
So luxurious. So decadent. It's perfect.

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is the most extra thing I've seen in a while... and, of course it's @yssie's!! ;-) Freakin' gorgeous!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's one of the coolest things I've seen on here in a long time!!! :clap::clap::clap::clap:

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
WOW. That’s stunning!! And an INGENIOUS use of a ring- I’m admiring your thought process in the design as much as the finished piece. Also loving that you gave the ring texture by scrubbing it with a Brillo pad. The DIY enthusiast in me is APPLAUDING and excited.

I’ve always been worried about clips falling out, on the rare occasion that I have seen diamond barrettes/clips come up. This seems like the most secure option I’ve seen and it’s brilliant!

It also looks amazing on you :)

You’re going to end up starting a trend. Soon we’re going to be able to identify PS’ers on the street with diamond hair pins. Because who else would be marvellous enough, or generally diamond enthusiast enough to want to wear diamonds in their hair?! *raises hand* I want to join this club please!

Last edited:

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
WOW. That’s stunning!! And an INGENIOUS use of a ring- I’m admiring your thought process in the design as much as the finished piece. Also loving that you gave the ring texture by scrubbing it with a Brillo pad. The DIY enthusiast in me is APPLAUDING and excited.

I’ve always been worried about clips falling out, on the rare occasion that I have seen diamond barrettes/clips come up. This seems like the most secure option I’ve seen and it’s brilliant!

It also looks amazing on you :)

You’re going to end up starting a trend. Soon we’re going to be able to identify PS’ers on the street with diamond hair pins. Because who else would be marvellous enough, or generally diamond enthusiast enough to want to wear diamonds in their hair?! *raises hand* I want to join this club please!

lol i'm way too chicken. they have to be around my neck or on my fingers where i can notice right away if something goes wrong. i am looking forward to more fabulous PS hair bling though so i can live vicariously through you all :lol-2::mrgreen2:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
wow yssie well done
you have such vision
so beautiful
im so impressed
i wear the odd sparkly hair pin/clip as i have fine flyaway hair
ive often looked at brooches and woundered .....?
...but a ring is pure genius
top marks for repurposing
the best ive seen

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Another WOW from me!!! That is beautiful, @yssie ! :love::love::love: Fabulous idea, looks gorgeous in your hair! Caysie did a beautiful job, as usual!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Y'all sayin' I got superfluous taste or something? :lol-2:

I saw a few posts asking how well it stayed in, and that was actually Caysie's first question too! Some thoughts on this. I wouldn't work out with it, but it stayed tight (without bobbypin buddies!!) for a full ten hours of wandering NYC - sprinting across crosswalks, removing and replacing my sweater a couple dozen times, falling asleep in the car on the way home... :mrgreen2:

Figuring out how to secure it took some trial and error. My hair has no natural wave, and my conditioner makes it slippery, and I'm usually a pony with a no-snag hairtye kind of person - can't say I know much of anything about dealing with hair! Some things that worked well, some things I've learnt:

1. The tines are crimped and bowed upward slightly (this pic probably shows it best), and the circle clip bends quite steeply on either side of the pin, forcing hair into a pretty sharp gaussian shape -

AA_EXTRA_1.png

2. The pin is small! It's only ~2.5" long, so the weight of hair that it's responsible for keeping in place is minimal. I don't see this working nearly as well with a big clip holding lots of hair like mine - might be just fine for the curly-haired amongst us. Yet another reason to envy those glorious, voluminous manes of curls... :x2:mrgreen2:

3. The comb and circle clip are textured. The circle clip was originally high-polish, and I saw a dramatic improvement in "grippiness" after its date with Brillo.

4. Braiding hair or twisting it toward the comb works much, much better than twisting away from the comb - I was surprised by how much direction matters!

5. A spritz of water once it's in is extra reassurance - it won't budge once dry ::)

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@PintoBean I’ll take baller :mrgreen2:

@yennyfire Thank you!! I’ll take amazeballs too :lol-2: I originally asked about sourcing a larger rose cut, but I’m glad I went with the OMC I already had - she’s a little sparkler and she turned out to be more than big enough :cool2:

@Lvoeshinythings Thank you love :kiss2: She’ll be a special occasion piece - I haven’t the confidence to rock her at the grocer, I don’t think :mrgreen2:

My grandmother has incredible hair. It’s thick, lush, and wavy, and as a child I loved combing it after she oiled it. My knot removal methodologies all converged on “tug harder” :geek2: so she didn’t let me do it terribly often, but when she did she let me have my way - I’d clip it in all sorts of ways with multicoloured pins, I’d plat ribbons into it... She laments how little I care to do anything with my own hair as an adult. She was the first person I texted these pics to - augmented with some choice commentary about slippery soapboxes :mrgreen2::twisted2:

@LLJsmom Thank you!! Baller, amazeballs, and da bomb - the cincher :cool2::mrgreen2: (Sorry. Bad pun Thursday). Right now I’ve got a diamond in my hair and ACAs around my ankle and I am revelling in the extravagance :twisted2:

Thank you @windblownhair!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@KristyDarling Thank you!!

My hair is a bit of an odd colour. When I was young it was inky bluish black - by the end of high school it had lightened to a dark reddish brown, and these days it sports an ever-increasing number of random streaks of yellow and orange. I chose YG solely because the OMC is lower-colored, but the metal winds up working really really well with my hair - unexpected benefits!! :cool2::geek2:

Thank you @Magpie4426, @LinSF, @SandyinAnaheim, @Weeivy73 :kiss2: I’ve fallen in love with this little darling all over again =)2

@Alex T A curly girl!! :cool2: Clips like this were made for hair like yours!! :mrgreen2: I’d love to see some hair ornament extravagances from other PSers - and I promise to keep any hair envy firmly in hand :mrgreen2:

@Dandi Thank you!! It does feel that way - a darling little luxury :kiss2:

@TheGarnetGirl :kiss2: Thank you :cool2: I don’t think I can claim to have been particularly creative - I’d been looking at circle clips on Etsy for months and months prior! But I’ll happily add the accolade to my bucket anyway :lol-2:

I don’t wear necklaces, and I’m not much of a ring person… My wrists are sufficiently decorated… I need several more pairs of ears to make use of the earrings I’ve already got… My anklet is another indulgence… And the other half has voiced firm opinions on acquiring new piercings so hair and clothing is about all that’s left to garnish! And garnish I must... Garnish we all must... :geek2::kiss2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:mrgreen2: @Sparkles88 Thank you!! But y'know, if you wanna be hot and hip like me - you're going to also need a plethora of half-eaten hairtyes rescued from a collection of cats who are unyieldingly and untiringly dedicated to ridding the world of them one by one… :roll2::mrgreen2:

Thank you @Matthews1127!! :cool2:

@lissyflo Thank you!! I’m thoroughly chuffed by the idea that my jewellery box is something others want to play in - its contents seem largely ordinary to me! :eek2:

A few weeks ago I was (re)angsting over choosing between two pieces, and a dear PS friend made a simultaneously brilliant and transparent observation - “J, you like custom”. She’s right, I really do! And fortunately over my years here on PS I’ve gotten much better about acquiescing to reason when it’s just better to go off-the-shelf! :kiss2:

This was meant to be a fun little project - it was my first time working with Caysie, and I wanted to see how we’d fit as vendor and client. I have to say that I had a really excellent experience and I’ve gone a bit hog wild since then :mrgreen2:

@MissGotRocks, @elizat, Thank you so much :mrgreen2:

@Lykame Thank you!! And thank you for asking how it works! Hopefully my last post explains a bit more. I wasn’t sure what to expect - I’d hoped it would work as-is, but I wouldn’t have been surprised to find I’d always need bobby pins as well, so this is really the best possible outcome and I couldn’t be happier with it :kiss2:

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you so much @luv2sparkle, @Gussie, @cokitty, @tkyasx78, @DorotheaBrooke :kiss2:

@mrs-b Thank you love :kiss2: You know that means a lot coming from you! ::)

@carbonfan Thank you!! This piece was the most “fun” project I’ve done in a long time - I really enjoyed it and I couldn’t be happier with the outcome, especially now that I’ve gotten the hang of getting it to stay put!! :cool2:

Thank you @bludiva!

E-weddingbands was super easy to work with as always! They were able to custom order for the precise width and height that I wanted, and they didn’t charge me to bend it - the rep said he didn’t have the heart to charge me for something they occasionally do accidentally :lol-2:

I had the same thought re. not noticing immediately if something goes wrong! It's one of the reasons I've been so hesitant to wear it. I'm so glad I've finally figured out how to put it in tightly enough that I do trust it not to walk out on me!!!

@dreamer_dachsie darling Thank you!! “Decadent” is the perfect description of how I feel wearing it :kiss2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@msop04 LOL, I got a rep to uphold :mrgreen2: Thank you!! :kiss2::cool2:

Thank you @arkieb1! :kiss2:

@Crystal_Dreams Thank you love :kiss2:

When I first saw Caysie’s Spring Gulch style here on PS I knew I had to have one!! I don’t wear rings, though, and I didn’t want a bracelet or yet more earrings. I’d been looking at hair ornaments like this for a while… And the two “wants” coalesced perfectly whilst I was doing the dishes :mrgreen2:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/463925012/minimalist-gold-hair-accessories-brass?ref=related-1&frs=1
il_794xN.1860637685_m6pc.jpg

Never thought of myself as a #Trendsetter... Really though, what are we PSers supposed to do when we’ve run out of conventional limbs to adorn? :whistle::mrgreen2:

In other news... Pearl Paradise is having a sale. Doesn’t a Blair Waldorf headband sound fabulous? Someone save me from myself :sick:

upload_2019-5-9_22-50-51.png

Thank you @Daisys and Diamonds!! :mrgreen2: I really love this piece :kiss2: it’s profligate and I feel wickedly lavish wearing it :twisted2::cool2:

The only downside to brooches is the weight :(2 we straight-haired women don’t have the volume to hold anything heavy in place!!

@diamondseeker2006 Thank you!!

Caysie did a marvellous job envisioning and executing this :geek2: she decided on pin attachment style, comb width, tine convexity and separation and metal flexibility, and finish texture, and there’s literally nothing that could have been better designed or implemented. I admire her attention to detail! :kiss2:

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’ve always loved Blair’s style. Your post reminds me of a pretty little faux pearl headband I bought years ago in Japan. It has a metal bow on it as well though, and the placement of the bow (slightly too far towards the middle) always irked me. I love the look of the pearl headband though. You’re giving me ideas...

I own plenty of pearls, and never seem to wear them. I do have a pretty white round metallic strand I got from PP years ago which is languishing away in its box...

After seeing your beautiful hair accessory, I will admit I went and took stock of my bling, wondering what I could convert lol! Too bad I have nothing suitable right now. There have certainly been occasions though, where I have thought ‘I just don’t have enough fingers/necks/ears to wear all my bling’. Thanks to your gorgeous pin, a whole new world of ideas has just opened up for me

Having always been ‘hair challenged’ (burnt myself or my hair every time I tried to do anything with it), I never did anything with my hair till recently, when the Dyson airwrap came into my life! It’s expensive, but so worth it for me. My hair is straight too. But it has been pretending to be wavy and curly since the Dyson made its debut, and I love it! I’m now constantly getting compliments and questions on my hair because it’s bouncy and curly. Curls + increased security of wearing diamonds in my hair seem like a pretty attractive combo... I really may need to look into this idea...

Lvoeshinythings

Shiny_Rock
@PintoBean I’ll take baller :mrgreen2:

@yennyfire Thank you!! I’ll take amazeballs too :lol-2: I originally asked about sourcing a larger rose cut, but I’m glad I went with the OMC I already had - she’s a little sparkler and she turned out to be more than big enough :cool2:

@Lvoeshinythings Thank you love :kiss2: She’ll be a special occasion piece - I haven’t the confidence to rock her at the grocer, I don’t think :mrgreen2:

My grandmother has incredible hair. It’s thick, lush, and wavy, and as a child I loved combing it after she oiled it. My knot removal methodologies all converged on “tug harder” :geek2: so she didn’t let me do it terribly often, but when she did she let me have my way - I’d clip it in all sorts of ways with multicoloured pins, I’d plat ribbons into it... She laments how little I care to do anything with my own hair as an adult. She was the first person I texted these pics to - augmented with some choice commentary about slippery soapboxes :mrgreen2::twisted2:

@LLJsmom Thank you!! Baller, amazeballs, and da bomb - the cincher :cool2::mrgreen2: (Sorry. Bad pun Thursday). Right now I’ve got a diamond in my hair and ACAs around my ankle and I am revelling in the extravagance :twisted2:

Thank you @windblownhair!!

Awww I love the story of your grandma and brushing her hair. How very sweet. I’m sure she was happy to hear of how she helped inspire this creation.

One day, I’m gonna be baller enough to rock a rock in my locks. :P2:kiss2::kiss2:

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Today at work I decided to try something different and tried to attach a ruby and diamond flower clip earring into my hair (the ear-clips are huge 1950's style!). It was too heavy!! I was so disappointed, not that I can afford these ear-clips anyway but oh well.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love this @yssie and it's glorious in your hair. :kiss2:

itsdreamygif.gif

Tonks

Brilliant_Rock
This is making me seriously reconsider the haircut I have scheduled today!

@yssie it is gorgeous! I’ve had similar hair accessories over the years (um, without the diamonds :lol:) and have loved them. My hair is inching towards my jawline, though, so I don’t wear them much anymore. The thing that I found helped make them most secure was to kind of weave the pin back and forth in the hair as I was going through it before coming back up under the final clasp (in this case, the final side of the ring). I don’t know if you have enough room to work with to do that, but try wiggling it back and forth a bit as you pick up hair. Though it sounds like you’ve got it pretty secure!

Congrats on a great piece.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, such innovation & creativity issue, well done! :appl:
It really turned out beautiful!:love:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Lvoeshinythings She was! And she noted I’d done very well showing her first, because who could possibly turn Judgy McJudgeroo over something the family matriarch approves of? :devil:

Lady, you as I don’t and rock those locks rocks :mrgreen2:

@Weeivy73 I had a brooch that I tried to use in my hair a few times - I could never get it to work either! But somehow Pinterest is plastered with people doing exactly that! :confused2:

It sounds like you work with jewellery daily! :mrgreen2: So you get the best of the “Try before you buy” and “Yeah, I know I’ll never take this home but hey I get half-time out of it here” worlds :geek2::P2:cool2:

Thank you @missy, @Catmom :kiss2:

@Tonks Thank you!! :mrgreen2:

So today I’ve learnt to wiggle your mascara wand and your hair clip (and somehow that doesn't sound right...) :P2

The circle clip that I’ve got right now is too small to pull hair back through, but I think I’d have to double up in exactly the way you describe if I want to use a bigger clip that hold more hair mass! Especially if it's used at the nape of the neck rather than on top or off to one side.

I plan to add some larger clips soon - we’ll see what happens!! I kinda figure… at the end of the day there’s not much that enough hairspray can’t fix right? :mrgreen2:

@sarahb Thank you!! I’m really really happy with how it turned out and so glad I’ve finally learnt how to use it as it deserves to be used :kiss2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Crystal_Dreams I was so sad when Gossip Girl ended!! I had my weekly ritual - I’d get myself a nice full glass of wine, and two helpings of cake with ice cream, and ban the other half from the room for the hour... :mrgreen2:

I have the same problem with jewellery. I’ve got so many beautiful pieces that I just never wear. I like them - I love them, even… When I look at them I smile and think “how pretty!”, or “how sweet!”… And then I reach for something else. I’ve been trying to ‘shop my closet’ this year and I will say that I've definitely found some unexpected uses for things, and I’ve also discovered that my priorities vary hugely per piece! I love the look of pearl strands wrapped around the wrists, for example - I never did it with mine because I was worried about damaging them, but lately I feel I'd really rather damage them slightly by enjoying them than never wear them to keep them pristine! My Cartier bangles, on the other hand - I'd rather not wear them regularly so they look brand new for special occasions.

I saw your thread on the Dyson a few months ago!! I use a T3 right now. It works… y’know? Well, that’s not entirely fair - it works better than any of the other half-dozen wands I’ve tried: Big-barrel curls don’t last all day but I’ve got a nice wave even after several hours, the lowest temperature still feels too hot to be fully safe but liberal heat protectant takes the edge off the guilt. I’d have bought a Dyson in a heartbeat if it weren’t soooo dear :cry2: I’m seriously contemplating it!!

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
@Lvoeshinythings She was! And she noted I’d done very well showing her first, because who could possibly turn Judgy McJudgeroo over something the family matriarch approves of? :devil:

Lady, you as I don’t and rock those locks rocks :mrgreen2:

@Weeivy73 I had a brooch that I tried to use in my hair a few times - I could never get it to work either! But somehow Pinterest is plastered with people doing exactly that! :confused2:

It sounds like you work with jewellery daily! :mrgreen2: So you get the best of the “Try before you buy” and “Yeah, I know I’ll never take this home but hey I get half-time out of it here” worlds :geek2::P2:cool2:

You are right yssie I work in an estate jewellery store. Of course I had to try the most extravagant earrings in the shop! But my hair is fine, I've just had it cut into a long bob and that beautiful ear-clip just slid right down immediately :cry2:

Thank you @missy, @Catmom :kiss2:

@Tonks Thank you!! :mrgreen2:

So today I’ve learnt to wiggle your mascara wand and your hair clip (and somehow that doesn't sound right...) :P2

The circle clip that I’ve got right now is too small to pull hair back through, but I think I’d have to double up in exactly the way you describe if I want to use a bigger clip that hold more hair mass! Especially if it's used at the nape of the neck rather than on top or off to one side.

I plan to add some larger clips soon - we’ll see what happens!! I kinda figure… at the end of the day there’s not much that enough hairspray can’t fix right? :mrgreen2:

@sarahb Thank you!! I’m really really happy with how it turned out and so glad I’ve finally learnt how to use it as it deserves to be used :kiss2:

Crystal_Dreams

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If your T3 works well for you, you may as well stick with it and save the funds as bling money :mrgreen2: maybe consider the Dyson if (when!!) they end up doing a promo because they always do, sooner or later.

I would love to see how you style your gorgeous Madama pearls!! I have Hanadamas but I’ve always had a VERY soft spot for the natural blues... the colours they show are just spectacular. If you decide to wear THOSE in your hair, you’re going to need to start a whole new thread on how to style hair for PS’ers :lol:

sarahb

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, such innovation & creativity issue, well done! :appl:
It really turned out beautiful!:love:

I just can't ignore my post (above)---it looks like auto spell combined with my lack of proofing did a double whammy on the spelling of your screen name @yssie, am so sorry!!:wall::oops:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@TweetyBird23 :mrgreen2::kiss2:

@sarahb :lol-2: I honestly didn’t even notice!! I’m so used to mentally autocorrecting my own typos - my phone doesn’t “yssie” either! :mrgreen2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You are right yssie I work in an estate jewellery store. Of course I had to try the most extravagant earrings in the shop! But my hair is fine, I've just had it cut into a long bob and that beautiful ear-clip just slid right down immediately :cry2:

I was in San Francisco a couple of weeks ago. We were walking to Chinatown to get some baked goods (SF has the best Chinatown!) and literally stumbled past Lang. I had to go inside, of course, and it was a bit surreal. Deco chunkaliciousness here, Victorian artwork over there, Georgian delights down that wall, giant vintage stones scattered everywhere like sprinkles!

I wondered if you ever really get used to having a gallery of rings and bracelets and earrings and brooches and pendants at your fingertips every day... If it’s ever “just another day at work”... :cool2: Or maybe you mostly do, and every now and then it (re)surprises you and (re)awes you, like jogging past Niagara Falls every morning... :kiss2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If your T3 works well for you, you may as well stick with it and save the funds as bling money :mrgreen2: maybe consider the Dyson if (when!!) they end up doing a promo because they always do, sooner or later.

I would love to see how you style your gorgeous Madama pearls!! I have Hanadamas but I’ve always had a VERY soft spot for the natural blues... the colours they show are just spectacular. If you decide to wear THOSE in your hair, you’re going to need to start a whole new thread on how to style hair for PS’ers :lol:

Y’know, that’s good to know re. Dyson promos! I always search for coupon codes but rarely see them for Dyson. We’ll need a new (cat hair :mrgreen2:) vacuum soon and I’ve already informed the other half we’re just getting a bigger Dyson so... :geek2:

My Madamas. Yet another thing I love and don’t reach for :oops2: I pulled them out this morning just because you asked what I do with them and now I’m remembering how much I like them!! :kiss2: It’s a WIP! :mrgreen2:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results