shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW My Custom Engagement Ring -In Depth Breakdown and Bling!

sweetb

Rough_Rock
First, gratuitous ring pics!

IMG_20210625_193754__01.jpg IMG_20210625_193803__01.jpg IMG_20210625_193805__01.jpg IMG_20210625_192945.jpg IMG_20210625_192943.jpg IMG_20210625_184825__01.jpg IMG_20210625_185937.jpg IMG_20210625_185935.jpg

The Process
I began looking for my center diamond and setting around the same time, early 2021. I knew early on that I would likely source the stone separately and if i found a setting I liked enough, great! If not, I knew I could always go custom. Although my diamond and setting selection process are described separately, they did occur simultaneously.

The Diamond Process
I agonized over the RBC center stone size, even going to so far as to purchase a 0.6 ct equivalent CZ so i could have more time to sit with it. I tentatively decided on a 0.50-0.70 ct range. I had tried larger stones (0.90ct and over a carat) and decided i wanted something more proprtional to my finger (4.5 finger size). As an aside, I developed something called the one-third rule. I'm not sure if this is a thing already, but to my eye, on my finger, the carat size that looked best took up approximately one third of my finger width. It's what I found most aesthetically pleasing and ultimately how I decided on my desired carat range.

Now that I had figured out carats, the next was clarity. I am not including cut as I already knew I wanted an "excellent" cut, but at this point did not know how much variation there was with regards to fire and brilliance even amongst excellent cuts. I also knew I wanted colourless and the lowest I wanted to go was an F colour. Looking back, I probably could have gone with a G that was well cut, but I'm happiest with my F. I admit, I was 6 months younger and naive and had it in my mind that I needed a VVS1 diamond. Initially, inclusions of any type beyond a single pinpoint were very bothersome to me. It was with this mindset that I bought an IF, 0.70 ct, GIA excellent, F colour from blue nile. I figured that at this price point, I coukd have it all; cut, clarity, colour, carats.

I recieved the diamond and was underwhelmed. The diamond looked flat and didn't sparkle. I even brought it to a store so I could compare to similiar carat and colour stones, and man did it look horrible in comparison. After some thought I returned this diamond and kept searching. I looked at pavillion angles etc and at the end of the day, realized that I wasn't skilled enough to estimate light performance based on crappy video and dimensions alone. I did work with a gemologist locally who found some good stones for me, but the markup was too high for me to justify going through them. It was at this point that I decided to bite the bullet and start seriously considering Whiteflash's ACA. I ended up finding a 0.742 ct, VS2, F diamond that was actually priced well and I knew I would likely be happy with. I got comfortable with the inclusions, because hey, unless the inclusions were severe enough to affect performance, did it really matter? My underwhelming experience with BN and the IF diamond I previously purchased helped convince me that I should definitely compromise on clarity in favour of cut. I also needed to be okay with a lower clarity anyways due to Whiteflash's higher prices. As predicted, I was very happy with my choice from whiteflash :)

The Setting
I knew I wanted a vintage/romantic style, and initially gravitated towards milgrain and filligree, as I have a custom tanzanite pendant that incorporates those aspects.

IMG_20210625_195455.jpg

A lot of the vintage styles that incorporated what I wanted looked either too heavy or too thick on my finger.

Screenshot_20210129-163743__01.jpg

I got a little closer with another ring, although it was set with a cushion cut. At this point I had not found my diamond yet, so I did consider this, but the diamond colour was far below what I was comfortable with and I was still paying a premium. I didn't like the setting enough to use it as my inspiration and go custom, mainly because I had seen this style shank many times before online, and it just wasn't unique enough for me.

IMG_20210204_131126__02.jpg

I finally found a style I fell in love with, but it was made in such a way that the center diamond was pushed high up away from the shank. I work with my hands and wear gloves, so this was a no-no for me. I did contact the manufacturer and, as you'd expect, they were not able to alter that for me. Custom, it was. I reached out to a few different stores for quotes, and got a huge range. As low as $1900 CAD to as high as $3600 CAD for the setting alone. I do strongly suggest getting multiple quotes as I found once they discerned that it was an engagement ring, the price shot up. Even the individual that made my custom pendant for me at a reasonable price came out on the higher end. Luckily for me, the $1900 quote was from the same jeweler who designed and fabricated my brother's wedding ring so I knew he would do a good job.

In terms of the custom process,. I initially compiled a google drive folder with a number of photos and video of my inspiration ring. I also included a brief overview of what I liked and did not like. My jeweler had a lot of concerns about the longevity of the ring if it was to be fabricated the same as the inspiration ring. In short, the center stone setting was poorly supported and there wasn't enough material around the shank cutouts to make it durable. He worked with me to ensure he was staying true to the elements I loved, but also integrated a number of changes to help with the longevity of the ring. We went through a few iterations of the CAD, and two wax moulds. Frankly I would have been happy with the first wax mould but he is a perfectionist and wanted to tweak some things.

IMG_20210625_194556_02.jpg

Overall, I could not be happier with the workmanship and the finished product. I don't think I'll ever look down at my ring and not smile.

Dandi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gosh this is beyond stunning, and I really enjoyed reading the story behind your beautiful ring. It looks perfect on your lovely hand. Congratulations!

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful ring and story. Congratulations.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is very beautiful! You did your homework and found a gorgeous diamond! Your ring has that one of a kind feel and it is stunning on your hand. Congrats on the ring and your engagement.
What are you thinking about in terms of a wedding band?

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Well done! Bra-vo! :appl:
I'm impressed with the measured approach and sensible decision making producing a beautiful, quality, ring. And you paid the ring pic tax right off the top. In one go!
Enjoy it, it's really beautiful.

foxinsox

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! It’s a well considered, unique and lovely ring. Will you wear a band with it? I can see a plain gold band sitting beautifully with it.

ksluice

Brilliant_Rock
It‘s just beautiful!! It’s unique and yet somehow in a classic way. I hope you wear it in great joy and health!

higanbanya

Shiny_Rock
Wow this is a joy to read and the ring looks beautiful! Love the detailed thought process behind it, as well as the final result! Looks perfect on your hand!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Fabulous! Great story & absolutely stunning ring!

caolsen

Brilliant_Rock
Stunning work. You’ll love having a ring that is all your own and stands out from the crowd.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful! Lovely ACA stone! Are you going to wear a wedding band with it or is it standalone? Any pictures of the wedding band?
I'm curious how the set looks!

sweetb

Rough_Rock
Gosh this is beyond stunning, and I really enjoyed reading the story behind your beautiful ring. It looks perfect on your lovely hand. Congratulations!

Thank you!

sweetb

Rough_Rock
Your ring is very beautiful! You did your homework and found a gorgeous diamond! Your ring has that one of a kind feel and it is stunning on your hand. Congrats on the ring and your engagement.
What are you thinking about in terms of a wedding band?

Thank you. I just got my wedding band this week. I have two for now; one from a jewelry store that I am debating whether or not to keep, and a custom ring. The custom band was made by the same jeweler who made my engagement ring. I'll post pics of it in a separate message.

sweetb

Rough_Rock
Well done! Bra-vo! :appl:
I'm impressed with the measured approach and sensible decision making producing a beautiful, quality, ring. And you paid the ring pic tax right off the top. In one go!
Enjoy it, it's really beautiful.

Thank you very much. Yes, ring tax is best paid up front haha :)

sweetb

Rough_Rock
Congratulations! It’s a well considered, unique and lovely ring. Will you wear a band with it? I can see a plain gold band sitting beautifully with it.

Thank you :) I will wear a band with it. Similar to my engagement ring process, the band was equally difficult if not more! I tried on plain bands and they didn't look great, because the curvature is hard to match. I ended up going two ways for my wedding band. One is from a jewelry store. I am debating whether or not to keep it. The other is custom from the same person who made my engagement ring, and turned out just as unique! I'll post pictures of both shortly in this thread.

sweetb

Rough_Rock
It‘s just beautiful!! It’s unique and yet somehow in a classic way. I hope you wear it in great joy and health!

Thank you, cheers to that!

sweetb

Rough_Rock
Wow this is a joy to read and the ring looks beautiful! Love the detailed thought process behind it, as well as the final result! Looks perfect on your hand!

Thank you!

sweetb

Rough_Rock
Stunning work. You’ll love having a ring that is all your own and stands out from the crowd.

The crafter definitely did a good job, thank you!

sweetb

Rough_Rock
Beautiful! Lovely ACA stone! Are you going to wear a wedding band with it or is it standalone? Any pictures of the wedding band?
I'm curious how the set looks!

Yup, there's a reason why Whiteflash ACA is so popular, for sure! I did debate slightly wearing a wedding ring, but I didn't want people to continuously ask when I was getting married.

Funnily enough I just got my wedding bands yesterday. Yes, wedding bands lol. One was custom and the other was store bought. I guess I really don't need two but, we'll see. I will post pics of the bridal set in this thread probably later today.

sweetb

Rough_Rock
As requested, here are my wedding bands. Yes, plural. I am debating whether or not to keep the non-custom option, because, does one really need two wedding bands? I just received both, and need to test whether or not the non-custom band spins relative to the engagement ring.

The Custom Wedding Band
Again the jeweler was awesome. I put a lot of trust in him for this one and he matched my engagement ring perfectly. The transition between engagement ring and wedding band is near-seamless; enough that they look to be a set but not enough that they look like just an engagement ring. I will admit, because I just got this, I'm still getting used to the overall look.

IMG_20210626_083914.jpg IMG_20210626_083910.jpg IMG_20210626_083903.jpg IMG_20210626_082757.jpg IMG_20210626_082802.jpg IMG_20210626_082744.jpg

The Store-Bought Option
This ring features a slight curve that is meant to go directly around a center diamond to make it stackable. I, however, twist it slightly to the side so it fits into one of my divots. I have yet to see if the rings twist relative to each other or not. I am not interested in soldering as an option.

IMG_20210626_083611.jpg IMG_20210626_083618.jpg IMG_20210626_083540.jpg IMG_20210626_083456.jpg IMG_20210626_083341.jpg

I would love to hear your thoughts on both!

Last edited:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow - you have two great options! The band made by your jeweler is fabulous - he is really an artisan. The ready made one is pretty too and looks more like a wedding band than the jeweler one that looks like an integral part of the engagement ring. I don’t know how hard it would be to keep it lined up just the way you want it so that is a consideration too. Hard choice - I don’t think you can go wrong!
The other thing I would say about a wedding band is this: Neither of them will work as a stand alone band. If you think you will want one somewhere down the line - vacations, working around the house, whatever - choose two bands and have them be part of the ceremony or blessed on your wedding day if that is important to you. One can be plain or thin diamond band or whatever you think you might want to wear on its own for certain times.
I am super impressed with your legwork on all of this and your design is scrumptious! Great job all the way around.

sweetb

Rough_Rock
Wow - you have two great options! The band made by your jeweler is fabulous - he is really an artisan. The ready made one is pretty too and looks more like a wedding band than the jeweler one that looks like an integral part of the engagement ring. I don’t know how hard it would be to keep it lined up just the way you want it so that is a consideration too. Hard choice - I don’t think you can go wrong!
The other thing I would say about a wedding band is this: Neither of them will work as a stand alone band. If you think you will want one somewhere down the line - vacations, working around the house, whatever - choose two bands and have them be part of the ceremony or blessed on your wedding day if that is important to you. One can be plain or thin diamond band or whatever you think you might want to wear on its own for certain times.
I am super impressed with your legwork on all of this and your design is scrumptious! Great job all the way around.

Thanks for the opinion! I really like the way the store bought looks as well; you can tell it's a wedding band and you can still see the engagement ring's design. I think spinning will be the determining factor.

Re: wearing alone, both have very simple undersides so I thought I could just turn them around! That being said, I don't think I'll ever wear them alone anyways. For travel, I'll probably leave everything at home and wear a silicone band.

Thank you again :)

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your ring is spectacular and unique. I love both bands. Could you wear one on the bottom and one on the top?

valenledge

Shiny_Rock
This is a standout and a conversation starter! Wow, what an eye-catching and unique design!

Thank you for the detailed behind-the-scenes story and photos. I loved reading along this journey with you. Hope you enjoy and wear in good health and happiness!

sweetb

Rough_Rock
Your ring is spectacular and unique. I love both bands. Could you wear one on the bottom and one on the top?

Thank you :) No can do, not enough real estate on my finger before my knuckle to accomodate all three rings. Guess no anniversary band for me lol

sweetb

Rough_Rock
This is a standout and a conversation starter! Wow, what an eye-catching and unique design!

Thank you for the detailed behind-the-scenes story and photos. I loved reading along this journey with you. Hope you enjoy and wear in good health and happiness!

Thank you and absolutely. I have lurked here since beginning my journey and it has been immensely helpful. I thought the least I could do was do a good write up :)

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations! The ring truly is beautiful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results