shape
carat
color
clarity

My crimson red spinel- Please help!...any gem experts out there?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

allanc

Rough_Rock
Date: 10/14/2007 11:40:44 PM
Author: LembeckGems
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that Ruby is of no interest to me except as a paper weight if it cannot be re-cut. do I have to repeat myself a third time??

you can dissagree with me all you like. makes the world go round. no DEALER that I know will buy such a stone. who's he going top sell it to? you I guess. But I wouldn't sell it to you. I would be too emabarrassed to handle such a stone and get yelled at by my customer for trying to sell them crap.

If the stone can't be re-cut, it's worthless to me. I couldn't sell it. If I can't sell it it has no value. If I paid $1 then it was expensive.

and MY adivce to anyone that wan'ts to listen which in the retail arena is very few is do not buy stones withe brekas to the surface. if you have your heart set on such a stone pay PENNIES for it.

Steve let's try and be civil here. Richard was making a very good point, that there is a market for these gems. While you may deal in a high end market and are used to dealing with more picky clientele, gems are for everyone and when you can get a a superb color at a fraction of the price, you must weigh all the variables and be objective. Look at rubies, many of them with open fractures are healed during heating, but that requires treatment, and you don't think any less of these stones now do you. Same with emeralds which are regularly oiled. The resulting treatments will leave no open fractures. These treated stones have a market. Would the same stone be less valuable before treatment?

You stated that durability was not the issue here. Then what is it? Appearance? If you can only see the open fractures with a 10X loupe, then what's your beef?
38.gif

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Is durability really not an issue? It sounds like a very large feather, plus I can see the line going almost all the way through. I personally would not buy such a stone. I''d be too worried about it falling apart with the slightest knock, even if the colour is terribly tempting. I understand that there might be a market for the stone, but it would be extremely difficult to resell, and its price will not increase much.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results