shape
carat
color
clarity

My Costco purchase…

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Yodaman1

Rough_Rock

Hello everyone, I just found this site and it looks as though a wealth of knowledge is here. I would like the forums opinion of a purchase I made yesterday. I was at Costco and purchased an engagement ring my girlfriend (now fiancée) absolutely adored. I was not crazy about the color (I) but it is a beautiful piece none the less. The stats are as follows:

One Platinum mounting Duel Shank, weighing in total approx. 5.9 DWT with 109 natural diamonds
One modified brilliant cut, measuring 5.52 X 5.41 X 4.14 MM, Weight 1.04 Carat, Dept 76.5 %, Table: 74%, Girdle: Thin to medium, Color I, Clarity VVS (2), polish/symmetry: Very Good/ Very Good (B) 108 round brilliant cut, estimated total weight 1.08, Color (H-I) clarity: VS (1) VS (2) IGI certification

We had the choice of another ring very similar style, with a color of F, but a tier lower than the above ring on the other 2 important categories (Cut/polish, clarity). It was a single shank though, but same style. I purchased the ring for 6K and after price scoping the stone I’m not all that impressed. The ring looks great but I’d rather have a better color for the 6K price tag. I’ve seen better color (F-G) at Costco for less money. I guess what I’m asking is how did I fare on this transaction? I know they have a great return policy so I feel my options are open. The only problem is getting it off my GF’s finger. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'll get back to this... any pics to share?

Yodaman1

Rough_Rock
Good question...on the cert that number is after the setting description. Does it have to do with the weight of the setting?

Yodaman1

Rough_Rock
My pictures are to large and will not shrink to point where I can get them posted here. I am trying everything to get them up. 100 is really small for pics...

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dwt is pennyweight. random...

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
We don't have enough info on the cut, which is the most important of the 4 Cs (such as crown and pavillion info).

I take everything that IGI claims with a grain of salt, and would honestly not purchase a diamond with a cert. from them.

VVS2 is overkill big time when on a budget, though some people do like it. You are paying for something you can't see however, and seeing as it is an IGI, the diamond is likely to be a VS in clarity.

No matter what we say, I can't see how you can return it now. She has it and you say she loves it. You can't go taking it away from here now.

Yodaman1

Rough_Rock
You are right. I can’t take it back but I could upgrade because I only want a better stone on her finger. She was a big part of the process of picking it out. I think she would understand if I wanted change stones so she has a nicer one. Not that she cares, but for some reason I do. This is a pic of the ring:

Ring_1..jpg

blingless

Rough_Rock
Hmmm, well I think you may be right at least with regard to the stone. Its a tough call, the ring itself could run anywhere from $150 to $850 depending upon material and design. The clarity is good and the H-I color is in the near colorless range but the cut looks a little deep and in combination with a big table it could significantly take away from the performance of the stone. See if you can find the reference in the knowledge section to fisheye and see if you get any of that effect when you look at your ring. Whether you could get a better ring at the same or better price is somewhat subjective but I think you probably could. For instance the 1ct designation is the weight of the stone. When a stone is cut deeper than necessary it ends up being more narrow. Your stone is approximately 1mm narrower than I would expect for a stone cut to better proportions. Your GF would have the appearance of a larger stone. Also stones cut to proportions closer to 60% depth and 57% table may appear larger just because they reflect light more efficiently. A $6K purchase deserves to considered carefully and you should be sure you''re really happy with it. Do a search on PS and use the ring building functions on one of the vendor sites to see if you can build a ring with a better stone for a better price. I think you''ll answer your own question. As a side note, AGS, GIA, are the most consistent grading reports. Others may not be as predictable in their grading reports in my opinion so I''d look for one of those. EGL certs are widely used too but their grading on color can be a bit easier that AGS and GIA. Good luck

jaz464

Ideal_Rock
Yes, your diamond looks smaller than it is, because it is too deep. Personally, I would keep looking if your GF will allow it. Does Costco carry GIA or AGS diamonds? Otherwise, with that company, you should be able to return and look elsewhere.

It seems your GF loves the ring because of what it symbolizes, and not because of its superb quality. Sometimes, some consumers do not care about getting an excellent or ideal cut diamond. If you don't care so much about the numbers and just want what what will make your GF happy, there is nothing wrong with that either. However, the people here on PS, overwhelmingly do want the best cut quality that they can get. A better cut diamond will look bigger than yours because the dimensions will be better. Also diamonds with a great cut, sparkle more than diamonds with a good or average cut. That fire, scintillation, and sparkle also make the diamond look bigger. So most here will say you can do a lot better.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2007 7:34:50 AM
Author: Yodaman1
You are right. I can’t take it back but I could upgrade because I only want a better stone on her finger. She was a big part of the process of picking it out. I think she would understand if I wanted change stones so she has a nicer one. Not that she cares, but for some reason I do. This is a pic of the ring:
costco has one of the best return policies... why couldn''t you take it back?

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
This stone is a modified brilliant, meaning it's a princess cut, right?

The depth and table would be in line with a princess. I think part of the price is the labor for all the other diamonds on it - that's alot of stones and a lot of work.

Check the paperwork closely. Sometimes those IGI certs are just short certs drawn from an existing GIA report. In that case the GIA cert number will be referenced on the IGI paperwork. I have seen a lot of costco stones that have this.

blingless

Rough_Rock
Beacon, a learning opportunity for me. I''m not familiar with the modified round brilliant and would never have guessed that a princess would be classified as such. I found this on a site with a cut guide for modified round brilliants:

"This is the most populous category of fancy cut, because the standard round brilliant can be effectively modified into a wide range of shapes. Because their facet counts and facet arrangements are the same, modified brilliants also look (in terms of brilliance and fire interplay) the most like round brilliants and are therefore (in general and at present) the most saleable. Certain modified round brilliants also exhibit better Diamond Light Performance"

I assume from this that the basic proportions would remain essentially the same for table and depth. It was probably a mistake to make that assumption. Could you elaborate.

Beacon

Ideal_Rock
I'm just guessing - I don't know if it's a princess or not. The posted description is just "modified brillaint". Princess is often called modified square brilliant. From the measurements he gave I figured it was princess, but maybe it's not. I think we need a photo
9.gif

the other Jake

Shiny_Rock
I really don't like the IGI cert. An IGI "I" color is probably more like a GIA/AGS "J" or "K" color. The IGI clarity is probably in the GIA/AGS VS range. If you can get it off her finger I recommend you reconsider your purchase.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2007 12:39:53 PM
Author: Beacon
This stone is a modified brilliant, meaning it''s a princess cut, right?

The depth and table would be in line with a princess. I think part of the price is the labor for all the other diamonds on it - that''s alot of stones and a lot of work.

Check the paperwork closely. Sometimes those IGI certs are just short certs drawn from an existing GIA report. In that case the GIA cert number will be referenced on the IGI paperwork. I have seen a lot of costco stones that have this.
or a cushion - modified brilliant is a cushion term frequently... for the new style cushions. if it is a cushion I''d pass on the 70+/70+ depth and table.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''d love to see some pics!

Yodaman1

Rough_Rock

Hello everyone,

Thanks for the feedback. It is a princess cut with a platinum setting (a lot of platinum). How would I be able to tell if the certification is originally from a GIA cert? I went to upscale jewelry store today, looked at a G color, similar stone to hers in good light and could see no discernable difference. Ring really does look stunning in all light!

If anyone is good at shrinking pictures I’m more than willing to send them in an e-mail so they can be posted. I do not have the software to get them under the 100 limit.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You can email them to the PS administrators.

Unearthed

Shiny_Rock
I hear and understand what everyone is saying but I don''t think a return is needed if they love it.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
You love the ring? Keep the ring.

Just make sure to POST PICTURES of the beauty. Hand shots too.

9.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
If you love it, and it makes her heart sing, then that''s that!!! Can''t wait to see pics. And congrats on your engagement!!!
36.gif

Yodaman1

Rough_Rock
This is the only picture I could get to fit. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. I also e-mailed the admins. to see if they would post the pictures.

Thanks,

Jon

Ring1.crop.jpg

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
VERY pretty!!

orbaya

Brilliant_Rock
Look at that sparkle! I love the design of it.
30.gif

I''m curious as to why you purchased this ring since you seem to feel very strongly that this stone isn''t good enough for her. You said that she helped pick it out, so that must mean she loves it...that''s what matters. Personally, if I was given a ring and a few days later my fiance told me he wanted to get me a better one, I''d be sad because he wasn''t happy with the ring. If she loves it...which it sounds like she does, I''d just leave the subject alone and enjoy your engagement.

Yodaman1

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone,

I agree with all of you. If she loves it(which she does), I am going to be happy with the purchase. Just the next time around when I am looking for a big purchase, I will know to come here first. Again, for those who have posted thanks for you input and opionion. This is a great forum of people!

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/24/2007 1:59:10 PM
Author: the other Jake
I really don''t like the IGI cert. An IGI ''I'' color is probably more like a GIA/AGS ''J'' or ''K'' color. The IGI clarity is probably in the GIA/AGS VS range. If you can get it off her finger I recommend you reconsider your purchase.
I want to confirm what Beacon has said. Many Costco rings will have an IGI cert for the piece and the IGI cert refers to another cert for the center stone, usually GIA for diamonds, AGTA for large gemstones.

No offense, but, based on personal experience, I do not totally agree with your assessment of IGI''s reliability. I agree that GIA or AGS is preferable. However, I had two stones that were appraised by a reputable GIA Graduate Gemologist as F VS2. I sent the stones to IGI because the wait time was less than GIA and I wanted certs. The stones came back - G VS2 and F SI-1. That sounds pretty accurate, if not a little more conservative.

I agree with you that I''d rather have a GIA cert if I''m spending a ton of money on a large center stone. Like you, I was definitely skeptical about the IGI certs, but I was surprised that the results were so close to a GIA GG''s assessment.

Yodaman, I don''t think you should worry that your girlfriend has a J/K VS stone. Check the small print on the IGI cert and see if there is a reference to another cert. Costco, unlike some of the other warehouses, actually carries really nice stuff. It''s their fundamental business model to carry higher-end merchandise at affordable prices. The ring looks gorgeous in the picture - I don''t think you need to worry.

I hope your GF loves it and wears it in good health!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
It''s really pretty. Hopefully we can see more pics!!!

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks like a beautiful ring! The stats might not be ideal but it is pretty and if you''ve already given it to her and she loves it, it''s kind of late to question it now. Costco does have a great return policy and I''m sure you''d have no problem getting your money back, but if she loves it, why? The time for questioning was before you gave it to her! If you think she might want something different, you can bring it up to her, but recognize that questioning the ring may just put doubt in her mind about it where there was none before. If you want to give her the option of getting something else though, now is the time.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
simple advice: she loves the ring so don't ask her to upgrade now. suggest it for an anniversary.....or celebrate an anniversary with a surprise ring. however, she may always love this ring for sentimental reasons and not want an upgrade: be prepared for her to wear such a ring on her right hand.

movie zombie

ps i hate to say it but its sort of your problem to deal with....if she's happy and satisfied, you should be too. i know hindsight is wonderful but as someone above said the time to get educated was before the purchase. i applaud your doing that now but that knowledge might be better used on a next purchase.

eta: i just told my hubby about this post. his reaction: don't f*g change it then, she's the boss! he doesn't understand its the sentiment not the value.

geez, i married a wonderful man!

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
Just wanted to say that it is a beautiful ring. I''ve never bought jewelry at Costco, but in my experience shopping around, while you might not get the ABSOLUTE BEST deal there or the ABSOLUTE HIGHEST quality, you will get a fair price on a very good quality piece. So I don''t think you have to worry, you probably did way better than at many stores!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results