shape
carat
color
clarity

My conversations with Mark Morrel

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock

Having talked to you all..I decided that before I conclude that MWM is completely outside of possibility I should contact him....

First I sent him an email detailing exactly what I want, with pictures, on Friday. Then waited for his response, which arrived today. He was very enthusiastic about the project, so I followed up with a phone call.

WOW. He really got me! As some of your know, I''ve talked to quite a few people regarding custom work... and haven''t felt comfortable enough with the process to commit, and have been looking for a stock setting instead. I''ve talked to ''ring makers'' and ''Designer Extraordinares'' and now... a true craftsman. And I have to say, I want that man to make my ring.

I would be a true collaborative effort with him... my parameters (2mm shank, certain type of bead set halo, sitting fairly low... and so forth) and his creative vision filling in the gaps (how the wires are interwoven, how the whole ring flows together)... and I am POSITIVE it would be perfect... another fear of mine with custom work. He really does amazing work and takes pride in it. And it would be a VERY unique piece.

Only problem is that its going to cost... around 1K more than budgeted. Which right now is a LOT for us....

So... it''s attainable. In time. And I think it''s definitely going to be worth the wait.

angeline

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy,

I agree totally. I just got my ring from him ( I know I haven''t posted pics yet but dh is away and he''s got the camera!) and apart from the sheer perfection of his work and the insanely comfortable feel of the ring on my finger I have to say that he is really intuitive about what people are trying to describe.

He really listened to me and was able to put what I wanted into words perfectly when I was struggling to string two words together. And the finished product is EXACTLY what I wanted. After all I read on PS about him I wasn''t worried, but I was amazed at how exactly like I pictured it it turned out.

So I say if you can, go for it! If you feel a connection then that is great. Yay!

a

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
You can't go wrong with a MWM ring...the 1k more is definitely worth waiting for...I'm glad to hear you had a repoire with him. Trusting the person for a custom job is so important...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I have no doubt it will be worth the wait. MWM is such a master, your ring will be fabulous. I keep thinking about that fabulous eternity set he made for Jade and your will be equally as stunning..YAY!!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm so glad you contacted him!!! I know he would do a magnificent job for you. Hopefully you'll have the money saved up soon and he can start on your ring!!! I for one, can't wait to see it. I love his work!!!

lisaC

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 4:45:59 PM
Author: FireGoddess
You can''t go wrong with a MWM ring...the 1k more is definitely worth waiting for...I''m glad to hear you had a repoire with him. Trusting the person for a custom job is so important...
I think you meant rapport- I don''t think repoire is a word...
2.gif

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 5:19:25 PM
Author: lisaC

Date: 2/5/2007 4:45:59 PM
Author: FireGoddess
You can''t go wrong with a MWM ring...the 1k more is definitely worth waiting for...I''m glad to hear you had a repoire with him. Trusting the person for a custom job is so important...
I think you meant rapport- I don''t think repoire is a word...
2.gif
DER!
10.gif
LOL. Can''t win ''em all.

widget

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Gypsy....this is so exciting!!!!!

Now, you start saving girl! It won''t take too long....your family won''t mind eating beans for a while, will they?
2.gif

If I catch you lusting after some other little bauble, I''m going to jump in and slap you down! Having a masterwork by MM will be SO special....and so worth the wait.

widget

PS: How''s Winky doing? If you don''t post more pictures soon, she''ll be all grown up!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
He was actually more reasonable than I feared... but out of my current budget nontheless.

angeline, I'm going to have to look around for pics of your setting!

It was just a solid click... he was really pleased by how I was able to express what I wanted, and where I couldn't exactly describe what I wanted in words, how I had pictures to fall back on. In about 30 minutes we could both visualize what the setting should look like when we finished.

I made it pretty clear that I wanted something delicate and fluid, while still being solid and structurally sound. There was some give and take there... and with regard to flush fitting wedding bands (probably not going to happen). But I felt we were really collaborating and sounding off each other. And he told me flat out that he really appreciated the amount of detail and specificity I had for him... which still being flexible and realizing that he doesn't do 'build to print.'

I am excited... and a little impatient. But most of all I feel RELIEVED. REALLY RELIEVED. The quest is over. I have found what I am looking for... now I just have to save up for it... and it will be mine.

ETA: Hi Widget-- I'm still lusting after a bellerina pendant. SMACK ME. But... I've got my eye on the prize now. I'm not going to get distracted. I promise! I LOVE WINKY... and as much as I'd love it if she were mine... I'm pretty sure Wallermama might have a thing to say about that...

widget

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 6:27:32 PM
Author: Gypsy

ETA: Hi Widget-- I''m still lusting after a bellerina pendant. SMACK ME. But... I''ve got my eye on the prize now. I''m not going to get distracted. I promise! I LOVE WINKY... and as much as I''d love it if she were mine... I''m pretty sure Wallermama might have a thing to say about that...
23.gif
OMG....was that a senior moment or what????? Wallermama....FORGIVE ME!!!!!!! (I''m so embarrassed......
20.gif
)

widget

isaku5

Ideal_Rock
I''m so happy for you, Gypsy!!
36.gif
36.gif

I''m sure everything will work out well; after all, how can you go wrong with MWM???

Be sure to keep us posted on the progress toward perfection at last!!!!!
35.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh Widget...that''s not a senior moment... its just natural on a site like this... I sometimes (because their AV''s are a bit similar at times) have to pay special attention to not confuse Dejay and MsSalvo.

Waller and I both have asschers and animals. And we both live here in NCal. And we were both there at the GTG last time.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
finding the right person to work with can be like finding a needle in a haystack.....but you''ve done it! it will be worth the wait!

movie zombie

widget

Ideal_Rock
Waller and I both have asschers and animals. And we both live here in NCal. And we were both there at the GTG last time.
.....and you''re both among my favorite Bay Area people!!!

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Gypsy, I am so happy for you. I love MM''s work and I think you will have a truly one of a kind piece when you get it. I think it''s worth waiting for, too. Do you have any drawings to post? I''m intrigued with the custom process.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Hi Gypsy

Since you have an interest in a ballerina style pendant, I thought I''d mention this.

I don''t know if you are aware of it, but you can get ballerina pendants that are made so that they can also be worn as rings.

It just requres a hinged bale for the pendant that can be "tucked" in underneath and a snap on clip for a ring shank.

That way you can get one piece made that can serve as two.

Rockdoc

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI Gypsy:

How wonderful! I recently read his website from "cover to cover" and drooled endlessly at marvellous, thoughtful, work. I think I "know" where you are coming from!

cheers--Sharon

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, I''m really happy for you. I know how long this has had you searching. I can''t wait til you can make it happen!!

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
Sounds exciting Gypsy! From what I''ve seen here on pricescope Mark Morrell does beautiful work.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 7:12:05 PM
Author: widget

.....and you''re both among my favorite Bay Area people!!!
*blushes* ...that''s very kind of you to say Widget. You are definitely one of my favorites as well.

Hi Lumpkin... so drawings to post... just a powerpoint presentation. But if you like I can post the text and pics from the presenation I made up. (I made it up after our converstaion today to make sure I captured everything I wanted and everything we talked about).

Thank you everyone for the
36.gif
and the encouragement. For the first time I''m feeling like this is really going to happen, and happen right. I''ve been like goldilocks... Quest and WF were too build to print... Leon was too much of an atriste... and everyone else just wasn''t the right combination of ... its hard to put into words... he CARES that the design not only meets his artistic vision, but mine too. So he has the vision of an artist without the ''my vision to the exclusion of all else" temperment. It''s great.

Roc Doc... I had no idea they could do that with the Bellerina. Hmm... I MUST NOT GET DISTRACTED. But I am fantasizing.

A Bellerina covertable. A MWM setting... and since I''m fantasizing... a heart MWM prong eternity with firey AGS0 .3 carat diamonds. ....
30.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI, Gypsy! Did you know I also called Mark Morrell late last week? I also really, really liked him! I was just calling to ask some questions, but by the time we were done, he told me he'd have some computer sketches for me early this week, and I got them today! I feel like a ring by him is a forever ring, and a work of art...perfect enough to take those highly magnified pictures! I think he is a perfectionist enough for me...plus he uses the kind of platinum that is a bit harder and more durable. I just have to be 100% sure what I want, because I can't change settings again.

sna77

Brilliant_Rock
Is this the Mark Morrell everyone is refferring too? If so, Concord, is the next town over from me...

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/

bargaincrazy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 12:10:39 AM
Author: sna77
Is this the Mark Morrell everyone is refferring too? If so, Concord, is the next town over from me...

http://www.mwmjewelry.com/

Yes, that is THE Mark Morrell.

I am so darn jealous of you Gypsy and diamondseeker2006!! I agree MM''s pieces are complete masterpieces. I wish I''d made direct contact with him. I may have called and gotten a machine or sent a vague email to him, but I never got to talk to him...couldn''t make it happen from my end. I love my ring, but I am so jealous of anyone with a Mark Morrell. In my next life...or if we strike it rich someday
1.gif

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
MM is definitely worth the extra 1k. Save up for a few months and then come back with lots of pictures!!! How wonderful you got such great vibes talking with him, that''s really a great sign. He is an excellent craftsman, I can''t wait to see him do a halo. It''s going to be amazing!

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/5/2007 8:48:50 PM

Roc Doc... I had no idea they could do that with the Bellerina. Hmm... I MUST NOT GET DISTRACTED. But I am fantasizing.

A Bellerina covertable. A MWM setting... and since I'm fantasizing... a heart MWM prong eternity with firey AGS0 .3 carat diamonds. ....
30.gif
rockdoc is thinking of a different style of pendant gypsy.
8.gif
what he is talking about may be possible, but .... i don't think so! not very easily anyway.
i can't wait to see what happens with you and mm!
36.gif

Officers girl

Shiny_Rock
Thats awesome!! It is worth the wait he does amazing work. Im glad you found someone you are comfortable with doing custom is hard enough over the internet it is so much more relaxing to have someone you trust completely!!

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 9:18:40 AM
Author: belle

A Bellerina covertable. A MWM setting... and since I''m fantasizing... a heart MWM prong eternity with firey AGS0 .3 carat diamonds. ....
30.gif
8.gif
what he is talking about may be possible, but .... i don''t think so! not very easily anyway.
i can''t wait to see what happens with you and mm!
36.gif
Oh.... Belle is correct..... Bellerina is one of the WF styles......

I was referring to the Ballerina style items...

It might be possible to create that ...but ultra custom job.

Rockdoc

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/6/2007 10:20:14 AM
Author: RockDoc

Date: 2/6/2007 9:18:40 AM
Author: belle

30.gif
8.gif
what he is talking about may be possible, but .... i don''t think so! not very easily anyway.
i can''t wait to see what happens with you and mm!
36.gif
Oh.... Belle is correct..... Bellerina is one of the WF styles......

I was referring to the Ballerina style items...

It might be possible to create that ...but ultra custom job.

Rockdoc
i think it is their best style!
16.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results