shape
carat
color
clarity

My conversation with Mark Morrell

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

maiyavel

Shiny_Rock
Hey all!
I just wanted to post about my recent conversation/quick meeting with Mark Morrell…

I needed to have my setting repaired by Mark, here is my setting: https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/my-gog-2-34fvs1-in-mark-morrell-trellis.91119/ (specifically to have my stone re-set back into my setting) and was able to get an appointment to drop it off (I’m in the area) a week and a half ago… Mark is not set up for visitors as he is literally in a very small basement with no actual counter space that is not occupied by tools and other work equipment. Me being the jewelry/diamond obsessed dork that I am, felt pretty excited to be I his presence if only for a little bit – just to be able to pick his brain a bit and watch him work… I did see a few of the other settings – more on that later…

Well I can tell you that bringing back my ring and his work of art to him to be repaired did not produce the best feeling in either of us. He was incredibly patient and as always kind, but was rightly so frustrated. And I was incredibly embarrassed and felt so bad that I might have offended him (although he never expressed that he was offended) because I have always felt very privileged to have a setting created by him. Anyway, he was absolutely and wholeheartedly wonderful and explained what needed to be done to reset my stone. What was very nice was that he definitely perceived my feelings and reassured me that the setting was going to be ok!

On that note… as everyone who is familiar with his work knows he is an absolute perfectionist. He puts every possible effort into producing a flawless piece that is perfectly symmetrical and precise, and polished to that beautiful liquid like finish. He knows that he is valued among other things for his attention to small details and the finish to his rings. His settings are definitely for the “I will never change or upgrade this ring/diamond” (unless of course you can afford several of his settings
2.gif
). I just can’t say enough about his work and more so how nice and down to earth he is.

About the other settings… I was able to see /hold a torchiere setting that he was getting ready to polish for a customer. It was absolutely exquisite and completely fell in love with it. My setting is much more ‘sturdy’ and not as delicate as his 6 prong settings. I can tell you that the webpage adds much more than 10lbs to those settings – the prongs especially! When I commented on how tiny and delicate the prongs are he said that this mostly frustrates him because he is questioned about this most often. While he doesn’t visit pricescope at all (and was very surprised to know he’s a bit of a celeb on here), I let him know that I do and would post about this. They are perfect and just so delicate. I was also able to see the wax for the “fancy” flame or torchiere, with the small diamonds down the side, which was also just gorgeous. I immediately wanted one of course, and he did say that he has had quite a few orders for that setting some in as well… I told him he should add a testimonials page to his site…

So I guess I just wanted to share this conversation/experience because I thought others might want to know more…

tlh

Ideal_Rock
Thank you, and your ring is gorgeous!
35.gif

CrookedRock

Brilliant_Rock
That''s wonderful that you got to meet him in person! I have spoken to him on the phone and he was a joy to talk to! (Unlike some others I know...
20.gif
)

I can''t wait to get him rolling on Fi''s ring, and hopefully I''ll get around to that this month!
Thanks so much for sharing your experience! And the info about how delicate his settings are... I was wondering that myself.

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
maiyavel - thanks for posting about your experience, and how wonderful that you had the opportunity to meet him in person. I just checked out your other thread, and wow, what a beautiful ring! Have you added a pic to the arrows thread? If not, you definitely should - you''ve got some fantastic pics! I think I''m a little behind on your story, though. What happened to your setting, that it needs to be repaired?

maiyavel

Shiny_Rock
ugh... bad story... I had been hearing/reading about six prong settings and how they protect better/ show off the diamond better, etc. etc., after many discussions I decided on changing the setting into a 6prong... Pretty much as soon as I did that my husband was laid off and the promise of 6 months severance disappeared. I felt really guilty about spending the money on the setting, which was well made, and part of me also missed my stone in Mark's setting... so I returned the setting and had to have Mark reset my diamond back into 'our' setting. The trouble is, with so much bending back and forth, although done very carefully (I had a CZ set into Mark's setting so that I could wear both)the prongs needed some extra work... all my own fault and very expensive lesson learned... SO bad I know...
7.gif

I should not have messed with perfection...

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 2:49:18 PM
Author: maiyavel
ugh... bad story... I had been hearing/reading about six prong settings and how they protect better/ show off the diamond better, etc. etc., after many discussions I decided on changing the setting into a 6prong... Pretty much as soon as I did that my husband was laid off and the promise of 6 months severance disappeared. I felt really guilty about spending the money on the setting, which was well made, and part of me also missed my stone in Mark''s setting... so I returned the setting and had to have Mark reset my diamond back into ''our'' setting. The trouble is, with so much bending back and forth, although done very carefully (I had a CZ set into Mark''s setting so that I could wear both)the prongs needed some extra work... all my own fault and very expensive lesson learned... SO bad I know...
7.gif

Oh no! Sounds like a case of bad timing - I''m sorry to hear about all that!
7.gif

On the other hand, it sounds like Mark was very gracious, and I''m jealous you had the chance to meet him and pick his brain! His settings make me drool every time I see them here on PS
30.gif
I''m actually really glad there''s quite a bit of time yet before engagement for me because I''m pretty sure I''ll be torn between the Torchiere and a Leon for all of that time - can I have two rings??
27.gif

maiyavel

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 3:37:59 PM
Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

ugh... bad story... I had been hearing/reading about six prong settings and how they protect better/ show off the diamond better, etc. etc., after many discussions I decided on changing the setting into a 6prong... Pretty much as soon as I did that my husband was laid off and the promise of 6 months severance disappeared. I felt really guilty about spending the money on the setting, which was well made, and part of me also missed my stone in Mark''s setting... so I returned the setting and had to have Mark reset my diamond back into ''our'' setting. The trouble is, with so much bending back and forth, although done very carefully (I had a CZ set into Mark''s setting so that I could wear both)the prongs needed some extra work... all my own fault and very expensive lesson learned... SO bad I know...
7.gif

Oh no! Sounds like a case of bad timing - I''m sorry to hear about all that!
7.gif

On the other hand, it sounds like Mark was very gracious, and I''m jealous you had the chance to meet him and pick his brain! His settings make me drool every time I see them here on PS
30.gif
I''m actually really glad there''s quite a bit of time yet before engagement for me because I''m pretty sure I''ll be torn between the Torchiere and a Leon for all of that time - can I have two rings??
27.gif

Well see that''s part of what I was thinking too... something more delicate than what I had that would ''showcase'' the diamond better... but in the end the shininess of the platinum makes the diamond that much brighter... GO FOR MARK!!!! He does delicate so beautifully... I even asked him if there was enough metal in my setting to be remelted in the Torchiere -- to which he agreed that there was, but then we looked at each other and laughed the ''here she goes again'' type of laugh... not that I could afford the remake anyway... the finish on his platinum lasts for so long too... I wore mine everyday for a year and other than the bottom dulling a little, the rest of it was still so new looking...

cellentani

Ideal_Rock
Oh maiyavel, I completely understand about changing your mind about settings! I swear my local jeweler just grits his teeth every time he sees me walk into his store. Sorry to hear about your husband''s job - hope he finds something really soon. Sounds like Mark is wonderful, and it''s great he''s willing to repair his beautiful setting. I think you''ll heave a sigh of relief when it''s all done.

maiyavel

Shiny_Rock
Thanks! I know I can''t wait to pick it up! hopefully this week...

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 3:57:43 PM
Author: cellentani
Oh maiyavel, I completely understand about changing your mind about settings! I swear my local jeweler just grits his teeth every time he sees me walk into his store. Sorry to hear about your husband''s job - hope he finds something really soon. Sounds like Mark is wonderful, and it''s great he''s willing to repair his beautiful setting. I think you''ll heave a sigh of relief when it''s all done.

Hahaha too funny, Cellentani!

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 3:44:30 PM
Date: 2/2/2009 3:37:59 PM

Author: Brown.Eyed.Girl

ugh... bad story... I had been hearing/reading about six prong settings and how they protect better/ show off the diamond better, etc. etc., after many discussions I decided on changing the setting into a 6prong... Pretty much as soon as I did that my husband was laid off and the promise of 6 months severance disappeared. I felt really guilty about spending the money on the setting, which was well made, and part of me also missed my stone in Mark's setting... so I returned the setting and had to have Mark reset my diamond back into 'our' setting. The trouble is, with so much bending back and forth, although done very carefully (I had a CZ set into Mark's setting so that I could wear both)the prongs needed some extra work... all my own fault and very expensive lesson learned... SO bad I know...
7.gif

Oh no! Sounds like a case of bad timing - I'm sorry to hear about all that!
7.gif

On the other hand, it sounds like Mark was very gracious, and I'm jealous you had the chance to meet him and pick his brain! His settings make me drool every time I see them here on PS
30.gif
I'm actually really glad there's quite a bit of time yet before engagement for me because I'm pretty sure I'll be torn between the Torchiere and a Leon for all of that time - can I have two rings??
27.gif

Well see that's part of what I was thinking too... something more delicate than what I had that would 'showcase' the diamond better... but in the end the shininess of the platinum makes the diamond that much brighter... GO FOR MARK!!!! He does delicate so beautifully... I even asked him if there was enough metal in my setting to be remelted in the Torchiere -- to which he agreed that there was, but then we looked at each other and laughed the 'here she goes again' type of laugh... not that I could afford the remake anyway... the finish on his platinum lasts for so long too... I wore mine everyday for a year and other than the bottom dulling a little, the rest of it was still so new looking...

I'm so glad you posted your review. I haven't heard of anyone who's been unhappy with their MWM settings, but it's nice to hear a specific review too - and of course I've heard so much about how great his finish is! Hmm...time to go redo my diamond checklist...
2.gif

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks so much for posting about your visit with Mark Morrell. What a kick that he doesn''t know what an icon he is around here! He must be buried in his work in the basement all the time!

I am so envious that you got to hold that torchiere. I''ve only seen it on the website and I do have a question, if you don''t mind. Does the shank taper in toward the center near the prongs? The photos look like the answer is "yes" but I would love to get a first hand review. Also, I am interested to hear that the settings are so delicate. The pics make them look a tad contemporary but I am wondering if that is the case in person?

I"m leaning heavily toward an antique, chunky style cushion, about 2 carats and am wondering if you have an opinion of how it would look in a MVM? I''m going for a very classic solitaire look. Any thoughts?

maiyavel

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/2/2009 11:04:31 PM
Author: Gayletmom
Thanks so much for posting about your visit with Mark Morrell. What a kick that he doesn''t know what an icon he is around here! He must be buried in his work in the basement all the time!

I am so envious that you got to hold that torchiere. I''ve only seen it on the website and I do have a question, if you don''t mind. Does the shank taper in toward the center near the prongs? The photos look like the answer is ''yes'' but I would love to get a first hand review. Also, I am interested to hear that the settings are so delicate. The pics make them look a tad contemporary but I am wondering if that is the case in person?

I''m leaning heavily toward an antique, chunky style cushion, about 2 carats and am wondering if you have an opinion of how it would look in a MVM? I''m going for a very classic solitaire look. Any thoughts?

I know -- he has no idea about his fame... ha! He said that hears every once in a while that he can''t produce fast enough or something along those lines, and he is not affected by it at all... I would guess that he knows that he is valued for his work and those who don''t have the patience may not be the best clients...

As for the torchiere... it was incredibly delicate... I almost could not believe it. The basket was made for a 2ct RB and just was so beautiful. The shank I believe does taper just a bit and honestly I thought that that would bother me, but it actually is more of a slight knife edge... I think Wishful here on PS has a beautiful profile shot... I drool over it constantly. The flame I believe has the same head/basket, but the shank/band does not appear to taper. I can talk about this forever. I absolutely love my setting, but if I could do it over again I would choose this in a heart beat. The website photos just cannot convey how delicate and petite they really are -- very feminine. Maybe others can chime in??

As for your cushion, I think Mark would create something stunning for you. He is all about fluidity, grace and nothing is better than the finish on the platinum. He has a few pages on his site, and I know he keeps photos of all of the clients'' settings, so maybe he might have something saved... just be patient, he REALLY is a one man show.

softly softly

Brilliant_Rock
I have a similar trellis setting with an antique cushion made by Mark and I love how fluid and elegant the lines are. Mark really is a master craftsman, and he is also very pleasant to deal with - absolutely no artistic temperament. But maiyavel is right, you do need patience as he does all the work himself. Having said that the man is absolutely dedicated to his craft and seems to work very long hours.

Maiyavel I''m glad you decided to return to your original setting as in my (slightly biased) opinion it is absolutely stunning.

mrtall.JPG

Imdanny

Ideal_Rock
Well, I think it's really wonderful to hear about interviews with such type of people and thank you very much. It's interesting that he doesn't visit pricescope. You get to "know" a person here and MM has an excellent reputation. I'm left with no doubt that he deserves it after reading your post.

lburn

Rough_Rock
Thank you so much for your post!

I am in the process of having Mark do a torchiere for me, but I am unsure about doing the petite version or the regular. Can you tell me which one you saw? Was it the petite or the regular? I don''t think that I''ve seen a regular version in a hand shot here, I think that wishful has the petite, which is stunning.

maiyavel

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 9:52:24 AM
Author: lburn
Thank you so much for your post!

I am in the process of having Mark do a torchiere for me, but I am unsure about doing the petite version or the regular. Can you tell me which one you saw? Was it the petite or the regular? I don''t think that I''ve seen a regular version in a hand shot here, I think that wishful has the petite, which is stunning.
It will be gorgeous!! I actually saw the petite, but the regular is not much different. I think that the basket/head stays the same but the shank/ring (you''d think I''d know the terms by now) is a bit thinner. Wishful''s is the petite I think. You are going to LOVE it. I seriously had to put it down so that I could listen to what he was telling me about repairing my setting. Poor man had to shut me up a few times too so he could work in peace... Are you getting the little diamonds?? If not you definitely should! Ugh -- I''m obsessed.

Gayletmom

Brilliant_Rock
Maiyavel, thanks for the info. I really appreciate the info and your opinion. You are making me consider a trip to see MVM at some point!

Softly, love your ring! Thanks for posting the pic, it''s just stunning. I am thinking along the same lines-trust Mark and let him do his magic. And I do plan on alot of patience, I''m good at delayed gratification!

maiyavel

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 12:00:39 PM
Author: Gayletmom
Maiyavel, thanks for the info. I really appreciate the info and your opinion. You are making me consider a trip to see MVM at some point!

Softly, love your ring! Thanks for posting the pic, it''s just stunning. I am thinking along the same lines-trust Mark and let him do his magic. And I do plan on alot of patience, I''m good at delayed gratification!

I''m telling you - you won''t be sorry! Keep in mind that he''s not really set up for visitors in his little basement, he definitely needs to expand! But I''m sure you''ll work that out! Can''t wait to hear/see what you go with!

lburn

Rough_Rock
Maiyavel,

I am planning on getting the head with the small diamonds, they are so pretty. I would also like to get the matching band. I know he says on his website a diamond band is in the works for the torchiere but I think the plain one is nice too. Did you see any bands?

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 1:36:27 PM
Maiyavel,

I am planning on getting the head with the small diamonds, they are so pretty. I would also like to get the matching band. I know he says on his website a diamond band is in the works for the torchiere but I think the plain one is nice too. Did you see any bands?

Lburn I hope you post TONS of pics when you get it! The Torchiere is such a gorgeous setting - so did you decide on the regular or petite?

lburn

Rough_Rock
I am leaning toward the petite version. I''m so excited, but I know it takes a while about 6 weeks. I''ll definately post the pictures.

maiyavel

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/3/2009 1:36:27 PM
Maiyavel,

I actually did not see bands but I saw a few waxes... I''m sure he''s got one in the works... If you weren''t looking for something totally flush he has a beautiful bead set eternity band about 2mm... it''s on his site... I''m horrible at posting pics but check through his sites pages down on the bottom... I believe he would make a CAD design first to make sure it''s what you like etc... please keep us updated with your order!! Can''t wait to see pics!! Babe is crying gotta go!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results