shape
carat
color
clarity

MY CAD - OPINIONS PLEASE

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
So here is my CAD from ERD. Center diamond is 1.521 carats. Because I am pretty clueless, I'm just looking at what's aesthetically pleasing. It looks pretty good to me, with the exception of the pave diamonds on the shank. I think that they go down to far on the band (I think I initially told them to end the diamonds at about the 5 and 7 O'clock positions, but maybe I should suggest 4 and 8 instead?)

cb7.jpg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Top view

cb4.jpg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Another side view

cb2.jpg

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
And a final image

_4316.jpg

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
Looks lovely.
What is the width of the band?

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks beautiful to me!

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Harpertoo|1362703083|3399501 said:
Looks lovely.
What is the width of the band?

I'm embarrassed to say that I don't even know that yet. The CAD came in late today, so I'm guessing that the details will follow.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
I have a concern that not enough light will get to the bottom of the diamond, but maybe that's typical for halos? The cut of my diamond is AGS Ideal 0, clarity is AGS 4 (VS2), 1.521 carats, and color AGS 2.4 (I). Based on those specs, is my concern about light a legitimate concern or am I just stressing out over the major design change (going from a solitaire setting where my diamond is completely exposed except for the 4 prongs, to a halo setting where it's a little more enclosed)?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
momhappy|1362705196|3399543 said:
I have a concern that not enough light will get to the bottom of the diamond, but maybe that's typical for halos? The cut of my diamond is AGS Ideal 0, clarity is AGS 4 (VS2), 1.521 carats, and color AGS 2.4 (I). Based on those specs, is my concern about light a legitimate concern or am I just stressing out over the major design change (going from a solitaire setting where my diamond is completely exposed except for the 4 prongs, to a halo setting where it's a little more enclosed)?

I wouldn't worry about the light return- I agree your stressing out over the design elements of the halo. It will be gorgeous!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
dont be concerned, its just like any other halo. most of the light and light performance is determined by incoming light from the top, so you'll be just fine

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
^^Thanks:) I'm sure it's pretty clear that I don't know much about this stuff. Now that the design is here, I'm getting pretty anxious about the whole process. The ring in the CAD is gorgeous though and just how I imagined it:)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
they do this ring pretty often, im sure the cad was just a formality, dont you worry itll be gorgeous!

TracyBear

Shiny_Rock
I would be more careful going with this round halo from ERD because your prongs might be off. If you're ok with that, go right ahead. Speaking from my own personal experience. My stone is 1.60ct, finger size 3.25, and I ordered practically the same ring as you did. Want to see what it'll turn out like? ;(

12098098.jpg

Here's a close up of the prongs. Needless to say, the ring failed to live up to my expectation. :angryfire:
wrong_prongs.jpg

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-erd-ring-reveal-but-are-the-prongs-off-pls-help.183122/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-erd-ring-reveal-but-are-the-prongs-off-pls-help.183122/[/URL]

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That's true that did happen for your one ring, OP I would just voice your concern and say you don't want that. That's not the standard way he does it I think it was an issue he has sense resolved in his designs

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
TracyBear|1362717372|3399725 said:
I would be more careful going with this round halo from ERD because your prongs might be off. If you're ok with that, go right ahead. Speaking from my own personal experience. My stone is 1.60ct, finger size 3.25, and I ordered practically the same ring as you did. Want to see what it'll turn out like? ;(

12098098.jpg

Here's a close up of the prongs. Needless to say, the ring failed to live up to my expectation. :angryfire:
wrong_prongs.jpg

[URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-erd-ring-reveal-but-are-the-prongs-off-pls-help.183122/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/finally-erd-ring-reveal-but-are-the-prongs-off-pls-help.183122/[/URL]

As I mentioned before, I know very little about this process (and diamonds in general). Obviously, I want a ring that is aesthetically- pleasing and one that is durable/practical. I found an image of a ring on this forum (from a woman who utilized ERD) and told Chris to match the style of her ring as closely as possible (our center diamonds were almost exactly the same). I did not see an issue with her prongs and I don't see an issue with my prongs - on the CAD at least, which I suppose could be misleading. How should I address this with Chris - in other words, what wording should I use to convey that I would like to achieve more desirable prongs?
I certainly appreciate your input,TracyBear and clearly, I want to make educated decisions about my ring. I did tons of research and I'm comfortable with ERD. To be honest, I've seen lots of images of ERD round halos and I have not seen any with prongs that look like yours. How long ago was your ring created? Is it possible that it was a design issue that has since been addressed (as Nielseel mentioned)?

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Momhappy-

I think this issue with TB is she has yet to contact Mark about this- this is an easy correction and easily fixable. I would not let it worry you about your ring. I would contact Mark and say you expect the prongs to be the same as they are in your CAD and for him to personally check on it. Just let him know you saw TB's issue on PS and you want him to personally make sure this doesn't happy to yours. Honestly Mark has made this ring probably thousands of times. I"m assuming he probably has a new guy on the bench who misunderstood the direction and adjusted the prongs to ensure there wasn't an airline. Once again a misunderstanding and easily fixable.

TB- I commented in the other thread but I will repeat. I would contact Mark about this- not email but actually call. I understand you are upset but I wouldn't get worked up so much especially when you haven't even contacted the vendor yet. You will find that ERD has some of the best customer service out there and goes beyond to help. If you gave him an opportunity I'm sure he will fix the issue you see and make sure you are 100% happy.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Thanks sarahbear:)
Although I truly do appreciate tracybear's input (and I will discuss her info with Chris at ERD), I agree that a first course of action should be a phone call in an effort to rectify her situation.

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Update: I spoke with Chris about the prongs. He assured me that while each setter has their own, unique style, the safety/security of the diamond (and the integrity of the setting) is their main concern. With that said, he would print out images of the prongs that I desire (like those on a VC halo for example) and the setter would make them as delicate as possible. I will be speaking with him to finalize the CAD and move on to the next step.

TracyBear

Shiny_Rock
Momhappy, I posted this for you not to say that you went wrong in choosing ERD. They're a great company and reasonably priced, hence I too chose them to make both my Ering and wedding band. The intention was to bring awareness to a problem that many of us who ordered the round halo from ERD have faced and spent time correcting. While you're still in the process of creating your dream ring, be aware that these things do happen and take actions to avoid the pitfall. The CAD images are beautiful, but they won't reflect the prong placement when it comes to some round halos. It's all in the hands of the bench man. If Mark makes a mistake, he'll fix it. The revision process though set my engagement back by 3 months and it costs Mark extra time and money as well. No one benefits from it. It's better to address issues like this BEFORE they happen so your ring is done right the first time.

Mark and I talked about pricing on Feb 6th then we entered the contract on Feb 7th, the ring was to be completed on Feb 28th. There were numerous sizings issue due to my arthritic finger so my fiance rescheduled his flight a week back to March 8 to give Mark extra time to complete the ring. While I was doing my own research, I came across three other ERD rings that had this issue. I copy the photos of the rings and sent them to Mark and said specifically that I did NOT want my ring to be made like this. He said that he understands. March 7th came and he emailed me the photo of the final product before shipping it, and my ring looked exactly like the photo of the ring I previously sent and said "don't do this." So a mistake was made due to the time crunch and the shop not looking into the details of the order. All in all, no one benefits from this. Mark and I are moving forward and getting this issue corrected.

TracyBear

Shiny_Rock
momhappy|1362747022|3399831 said:
To be honest, I've seen lots of images of ERD round halos and I have not seen any with prongs that look like yours.

They're hard to spot, unless you're looking for them. I really like Syd's beautiful wedding set and she's extremely happy with her result from ERD. Hers is one of the inspirations for my own set and I believe she inspired you as well. Below is Sdy's ring, our prongs placement are the same. Sdy's is well done and more delicate, but like mine it takes the place of half a melee. They use a smaller melee in the empty space above the prongs. In my case, it's not in my design, so it's a craftsmanship issue. Perhaps these style prongs are more sturdy and that's your preference. If that's the case and you didn't notice the prongs when you were looking at Syd's ring, this will work in your favor. :))

syd_2.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Could you try and show me that on a picture that isnt strait on, because with that photo it looks like normal sized melee that are covered by the prongs. I don't think erd could hide the fact they would clearly be using different sizes and a different technique than there cads show. I don't think they would get away with doing that 20 times a month

SB621

Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1362814986|3400455 said:
Could you try and show me that on a picture that isnt strait on, because with that photo it looks like normal sized melee that are covered by the prongs. I don't think erd could hide the fact they would clearly be using different sizes and a different technique than there cads show. I don't think they would get away with doing that 20 times a month

Nielseel- ERD is not hiding anything. From your post is sounds all very malicious intent. I'm sure the bench thought they were doing exactly what the CAD called for. I believe Mark has already stated he is using some new bench people and the safest way to cover an airline is to do this exact technique. And that fact that they are fixing the problem is costing them more money and time then the 4 smaller melee is costing them I"m sure. It seems this is a pure misunderstanding. The only fault I see is that Mark should be doing a bit more quality control. And he might be but some always slip past.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sarahbear621|1362827692|3400486 said:

Nielseel- ERD is not hiding anything. From your post is sounds all very malicious intent. I'm sure the bench thought they were doing exactly what the CAD called for. I believe Mark has already stated he is using some new bench people and the safest way to cover an airline is to do this exact technique. And that fact that they are fixing the problem is costing them more money and time then the 4 smaller melee is costing them I"m sure. It seems this is a pure misunderstanding. The only fault I see is that Mark should be doing a bit more quality control. And he might be but some always slip past.

Sorry when I posted it was very late so maybe I wasn't getting my point across. In that picture tracy bear posted the melee looked normal to me, I was just hoping to see more images of what she was saying because it sounded like TB was saying its a common issue with them, and I just find that surprising that it would be that common sense its such a common design and they do it so often, they would have to be redoing so many rings if that were the case

I would imagine if it was an issue they have sense corrected it, being that so many people get this design, as I said, they would end up redoing so many rings if they haven't fixed it.

Basically my point was don't be concerned OP, this all be lovely! Doesn't shirt to mention it to them that you don't want that small melee, but I really think you're in the clear. I just know you are worried how it will look and shouldn't be. It'll be b.e.a.utiful

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
TracyBear|1362813750|3400450 said:
momhappy|1362747022|3399831 said:
To be honest, I've seen lots of images of ERD round halos and I have not seen any with prongs that look like yours.

They're hard to spot, unless you're looking for them. I really like Syd's beautiful wedding set and she's extremely happy with her result from ERD. Hers is one of the inspirations for my own set and I believe she inspired you as well. Below is Sdy's ring, our prongs placement are the same. Sdy's is well done and more delicate, but like mine it takes the place of half a melee. They use a smaller melee in the empty space above the prongs. In my case, it's not in my design, so it's a craftsmanship issue. Perhaps these style prongs are more sturdy and that's your preference. If that's the case and you didn't notice the prongs when you were looking at Syd's ring, this will work in your favor. :))

syd_2.jpg

I don't want "sturdy" prongs and I have already addressed that with Chris. He is aware that I prefer a more delicate prong, so whether or not that translates over in the actual design, I guess that I will just have to wait and see.

ooo~Shiney!

Brilliant_Rock
OH !!! I finally get it now...
I was having such a difficult time trying to figure out what the issue was !!!!

I guess, just call me "Ms Happy-With-Anything".... All I see is a beautiful ring... :oops:

Can't wait to see the final, I am sure it will be Gorgeous !!!

TracyBear

Shiny_Rock

ERD is not hiding anything. Mark explained to me that certain center diamond size calls for using this technique because they can't cover the entire length of the halo using the same melee size diamonds and have it spaced out evenly for the prongs. They try their best in calculating the melee size and where there's a gap, they use smaller diamonds. If there's larger gaps, larger melees will be used and they'll blend in, like on Syd's ring. My diamond is a tiny tad larger than hers so the gaps are smaller, hence they used smaller diamonds. The size difference between the melees are so great in my ring, that it's noticeable whereas in Syd's beautiful ring, it's not.

Look, my post wasn't to attack anyone. It's to raise awareness to a common problem that I've found and is experiencing. I'm trying to save others the same frustration that I'm going through. Not everyone minds the gaps and smaller melees. ERD use this technique for a reason and it's probably because it's more secure for the center diamond. If you don't mind it esthetically, then this issue doesn't apply to you. Like Sarah said, quality control cost me time and Mark alot of money. No one wins, hence if you're a particular person like I am, you should address these things BEFORE they happen to save everyone a huge headache. That's the point of the post. It's not meant to be negative. ::)

Sdy's ring side view. It's barely noticeable. :))
img_0798_0.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I know you weren't being negative. I wasn't either. I just didn't see the issue in the pic you posted I was just hoping for another pic for a clearer view :))

momhappy

Ideal_Rock
Again, I appreciate your input tracybear. However, if this sort of thing was an on-going problem or issue with the ERD halo (which is a pretty popular ring it seems), then are the other threads here from women with the same problem/issue? It would just seem like something that people would post and complain about as opposed to the glowing reviews I've read everywhere. Please don't take that the wrong way - I agree with you that your issues are not qualities that would be desirable (or even acceptable) in my halo and I'm glad that you've brought them to my attention:)
I sent Chris an email in regards to the diamond size on the halo and how it relates to the prongs of the center diamond. I have asked him if they are uniform throughout the halo or if there are instances in which they become smaller (like around the prongs)?

TracyBear

Shiny_Rock
From my research, 99% of all pave halo rings put out by ERD are FLAWLESS cushion halos. With the cushion shape, there's a bend/curve in the corner that allows more spacing for the prongs. I've only seen one post made where the melees were not uniform on a cushion halo. The owner was completely happy with her ring, I don't think that she cared or even noticed it.

The 1% that I've found who had this issue are round halos owner. It's difficult to achieve no airline without placing the prong directly on the halo itself. You have to place them directly in between two melees if you don't want to take up one melee's space. Calculation for something like this is complicated because you have to use the right size melee to compliment the center diamond and yet have a diameter that would allow all four prongs to end up in a symmetrical location while at the same time surrounding the entire round center stone. This is why we pay the premium for custom made right? ;)) I haven't seen too many round pave halos on pricescope from ERD. Many of the ones that I've viewed so far have this "problem". I put quotations because not everyone minds or even notice, some people might even prefer this style because it's more stable/durable. They're not going to complain about their rings. Also, keep in mind that not everyone who orders a round halo from Mark is a member of this forum. :confused: There's probably people walking around too busy enjoying their beautiful round halo E-ring to make posts on the internet. :D

Momhappy, Mark is in the process of remaking my ring and looks like they're also working on yours as well. I'm excited to see what ours will end up looking like!!! :love: We were saving up to have Mark make our wedding band as well. After the E-ring mishaps and how Mark handled things so professionally and efficiently. We decided to go ahead and have him make the wedding band and the same time that he's remaking our Ering. I have faith that Mark will produce a ring that you and I would be proud of wearing. I stopped worrying over the process and let the professional do their work. :sun:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
nielseel|1362849996|3400637 said:
Oh I know you weren't being negative. I wasn't either. I just didn't see the issue in the pic you posted I was just hoping for another pic for a clearer view :))

Sorry Nielseel if I jumped the gun on you :(( I'm cranky because my toddlers aren't sleeping! Totally not your fault but I didn't want you think I was picking on you. I haven't ever purchased from ERD but I have worked on quotes etc with them and I just know they would never do anything underhanded- honestly some of the nicest vendors that I have never worked with- have worked with :D

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results