shape
carat
color
clarity

My Blue Sapphire and Diamond E-Ring!

DiaSapph

Rough_Rock
First off, thank you to everyone on Pricescope! I've benefited so much from reading about your experiences and recommendations, which all helped us choose the right quality and vendors to create our beautiful e-ring.

Well, I'm a huge fan of blue sapphires, especially together with diamonds, and my fiance and I decided on a classic three stone setting so that it would stand the test of time (I would love my e-ring to become an heirloom piece someday).

Here are my stats:

Center stone: Blue Sapphire
Gemstone cutter: Richard Homer (he was such a pleasure to work with: enthusiastic, obliging, knowledgeable, and helpful--plus his works are featured at the Smithsonian Natural History Museum)
Size: 7.9 x 7.9 x 5.0mm
Carat: 2.40ct
Treatment: Heat
Facet Design: Concave Brilliant (which gives a unique piercing/striking look to it!)

Side stones: Diamond
Diamond cutter: Brian Gavin Diamonds (Katie was so sweet--a gem to work with!)
Size: .408ct and .404ct
Color: G
Clarity: SI1
Cut: BGD Signature Ideal (and boy are they fiery)

Setting: Trellis (we thought this trellis was the most delicate looking trellis we've seen in our search)
Vendor: Brian Gavin Diamonds

Metal: Platinum
Finger Size: 7.25

I'll attach my photos shortly!

DiaSapph

Rough_Rock
I finally got around to photographing my e-ring with my SLR. This is my favorite shot, below. :)

hana_mg_9147-4x6.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
It's beautiful and so glowy!!! Congratulations on your engagement. It definitely looks like a piece that will make a great heirloom.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Wow, I love the cut of your sapphire! That is definitely a heirloom quality piece (like so many I see on SMTB!).

BlingDreamer

Rough_Rock
That is absolutely stunning! Congratulations!

D

Deactivated member 42515

I loooooove it!!! Perfection! And that blue! Wow!

Rosebloom

Ideal_Rock
Just beautiful!

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous! And perfectly proportioned for your finger!

DiaSapph

Rough_Rock
Oh my gosh, thank you so, so much pandabee, sortmom, blingdreamer, yt, rosebloom, marymm!! I'll have to upload some more photos. :) I agree with that the proportions fit very well too! I love the color as well--the faceting really comes alive on an overcast day as well in fluorescent lighting. The color is royal blue in full sunlight, full and saturated. And interestingly, there's a very very subtle hint of violet in incandescent lighting.

DiaSapph

Rough_Rock
Here are some shots taken by BGD, below. Stay tuned for additional SLR photos. :)

3248_briangavin_trellis3stone4_0.jpg

9074_briangavin_trellis3stone1_0.jpg

1769_briangavin_trellis3stone2_0.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gorgeous ring! The proportions are perfect and I love your sapphire.

periwinklegirl

Brilliant_Rock
DiaSapph|1362623967|3398582 said:
The color is royal blue in full sunlight, full and saturated. And interestingly, there's a very very subtle hint of violet in incandescent lighting.

Stunningly beautiful sapphire! What a gorgeous cut!

My sapphire also looks more violet in incandescent. I think a lot of the blues are somewhat colour-changing.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am in love with your ring!!! :love: :love: :love: That is a gorgeous color sapphire, and a three stone with sapphires and diamonds is one of my favorite rings, period! I have a smaller Richard Homer sapphire that is a little deeper blue, but it is beautifully cut as well!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, the most beautiful and vivid blues come from Richard - it must be that his concave cutting does something to make the sapphires really, really pop - and yours does in spades. Beautiful, elegant, and stunning ring - congratulations!

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't recall seeing the finished ring over in CS - would you please come over and post it to our eye candy thread? Pretty please? :naughty:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Wow, that blue is fantastic!

Polished

Brilliant_Rock
The ring looks superb on your finger. I also love the look of a three stone ring together with a wedding band. Please come back and post more pics when the time comes!

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous, I just love sapphires as well!

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Absolutely beautiful colour & cut!
Its stunning :appl:

SB621

Ideal_Rock
Your ring is stunning! The color of the blue is amazing and Richard is wonderful to work with! He has some amazing pieces on his website! Congrats on your engagment!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh I love the color of your sapphire! It's a beautiful ring, congratulations.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love blue sapphires and diamonds together and your ring is beautiful!

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Question for DiaSapph: Did you insure your sapphire while it was being set by BGD?

gemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very pretty blue. Congratulations to you both!

FancyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Beautiful, beautiful! Timeless and elegant.

I have a weakness for trellis style.

BGD's workmanship is top notch.

DiaSapph

Rough_Rock
Sincere thank you's to: Laila 619, periwinklegirl (yeh, I was a little surprised by how different lighting environments changes the hue), diamondseeker2006 (I found your posts to be helpful during my search!), minousbijoux (I've never seen concave faceting before Richard's work! I'll post on Colored Stones and Eye candy in the near future!), pregcurious, Polished (I'll post more shots!), lknvrb4, Alex Tilley, Sarahbear621 (Richard was super!), Catmom, kathley, gemgirl, FancyDiamond (I was inspired by your trellis!). sortmon: a few people I know recommended insuring through home insurance policy since it'll be a little cheaper.

Thank you all for the wonderful compliments. :)

SMC

Ideal_Rock
DiaSapph|1362698418|3399445 said:
Sincere thank you's to: Laila 619, periwinklegirl (yeh, I was a little surprised by how different lighting environments changes the hue), diamondseeker2006 (I found your posts to be helpful during my search!), minousbijoux (I've never seen concave faceting before Richard's work! I'll post on Colored Stones and Eye candy in the near future!), pregcurious, Polished (I'll post more shots!), lknvrb4, Alex Tilley, Sarahbear621 (Richard was super!), Catmom, kathley, gemgirl, FancyDiamond (I was inspired by your trellis!). sortmon: a few people I know recommended insuring through home insurance policy since it'll be a little cheaper.

Thank you all for the wonderful compliments. :)

Hi! I understand insuring the completed ring through homeowner's insurance, but I was curious if you purchased insurance for the sapphire while it was being set by Brian Gavin. Thought very rare, jewelers can damage stones while they are being set.

DiaSapph

Rough_Rock
These shots were taken with my iphone the day after the proposal, out on one of the ski runs. It was a beautiful sunny day, so we thought to take the golden opportunity of capturing our ring on the slopes. :) I think the sunlight saturates the color to a rich royal blue.

slope1-4x6.jpg

slope3-4x6.jpg

slope2-4x6.jpg

DiaSapph

Rough_Rock
Hi sortmon: nope, we didn't. It's interesting you pointed that out though--the thought never crossed my mind during our process. Have you yourself insured through the jeweler? You know, I may be wrong on this, but I think BGD can recommend a jewelry insurance provider, but I don't think they insure jewelry through BGD.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
DiaSapph|1362699470|3399457 said:
Hi sortmon: nope, we didn't. It's interesting you pointed that out though--the thought never crossed my mind during our process. Have you yourself insured through the jeweler? You know, I may be wrong on this, but I think BGD can recommend a jewelry insurer, but I don't think they insure jewelry through BGD.

BGD insures the stone and the setting if you purchase both from them. Seems like you didn't have insurance on your stone while it was being set so it's good that nothing happened to it. I'm sure that a jeweler like BGD would never break stones anyway. I purchased my stone from James Allen, insured it with Jewelers Mutual, and sent it to Sholdt for setting. That way, I am covered in case sholdt breaks my stone.

Anyway, I was just wondering if you had insured your stone prior to setting (and wad interested in finding out with who, if you had) but I have my answer now.

Congrats on your engagement. I don't know how you'd concentrate on anything with such a lovely sapphire!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results