shape
carat
color
clarity

My "Big Blue" Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Thanks Blod and Angel. I guess it is "next year," so I have to start thinking about what to do with it. I''m sure I can up with something.
2.gif

tifftia

Rough_Rock
This is .31 ct natural blue diamond. Certified by EGL as Fancy Light Blue.

.84 CTTW EGL Certified Rare Blue Diamond Ring1.JPG

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
WOw GK, this is an amazing stone!

I had never seen a blue diamond before, until 4 yrs ago when my then-boyfriend, now-hubby introduced me to his sister-in-law. she has a blue diamond, very similar in color to yours, although wayyyyy smaller-about 1/2 carat, in a setting that was designed by her husband.

He had made a pretend ring to get her size by twisting some copper wire into a daisy on a band....anyway, they followed that design, and it has petals surrounding the blue diamond, which is bezel set. in each petal there is a small round diamond. the blue diamond totally makes it pop!!! It is the most unique e-ring I have ever seen!

Congratulations on your wonderful purchase!!!

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Interesting that this thread should be revived just as I am turning to how to set Big Blue. My initial thinking is a ring (I listened to the earlier suggestions), possibly using a double claw prong head on a platinum Scott Kay band I have with two rows of tapering princess cuts down each shoulder (currently with a round brilliant center). I will set up a new thread after I get some photos to solicit additional advice.

Gorgeous natural blue tifftia. It looks deeper in color than a "light" blue in the photo.
3.gif

Thanks Sophie. There are a number of exceptional irradiated blues among PSrs, including Rod's friend's 1.04. I really like your SIL's husband's idea of putting an unusual stone in a custom setting to make a real one-of-a-kind e-ring. Very thoughtful and creative.

HOLY SMOKES! I just noticed I made **Ideal Rock**
36.gif

Thanks so much Irina and Leonid, and all you other PSrs who make this place such a special location on the Web.
1.gif

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If I come back to these photos one more time I might as well just make them my screen saver -- what a GEORGOUS stone!

Do you by any chance know what the faceting pattern is called? I''ve seen various ways that oval stones are cut but this is by far the most stunning.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/2/2006 2:45:31 PM
Author: Dee*Jay
If I come back to these photos one more time I might as well just make them my screen saver -- what a GEORGOUS stone!

Do you by any chance know what the faceting pattern is called? I''ve seen various ways that oval stones are cut but this is by far the most stunning.
Thanks Dee Jay. I don''t have papers on the stone, but I think it is just a well cut "oval brilliant" as GIA would label it. It has minimal bowtie and from some angles that "crushed ice" look you see in some well cut radiants. But I will get it out of the safe and check it again to confirm.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GK - don''t go to any trouble, like getting it out of the safe. I just wondered if you knew. I''m on the hunt for a new oval myself (but a regular white diamond) and your stone has become the model of what kind of cut I''m looking for!

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/3/2006 12:15:12 PM
GK - don''t go to any trouble, like getting it out of the safe. I just wondered if you knew. I''m on the hunt for a new oval myself (but a regular white diamond) and your stone has become the model of what kind of cut I''m looking for!
No problem. I''m pulling it out anyway to embark on a setting project. I need to post photos of the options so the crew here can chime in. Besides, you now have me wondering if there is something unique there that I missed. I bought it based on the overall appearance and, especially, the unique coloration for an irradiated stone.

Good luck on your search. I''m partial to ovals and have another 3+ ct natural fancy yellow in my collection as well. Obviously, we''d all like to be involved in your search and see the results.
28.gif

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Dee Jay you may be right. I examined Big Blue, and it appears to have a modified pavillion/culet. Instead of all the pavillion facets meeting at a pointed culet, the facets coming from each of the end points of the oval meet about a millimeter on either side of the culet. The pavillion angle changes at that point, and ridges similar to those found on step cut stones flow into the culet from both ends. The effect when viewed from the long side with the stone face down is similar to the Acura car symbol, but with much wider inside angles.

Maybe some of the experts could chime in regarding how different, if at all, this is from typical oval cuts.

diamondlil

Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/3/2006 12:29:18 PM
Author: GemKlctr

I''m partial to ovals and have another 3+ ct natural fancy yellow in my collection as well. Obviously, we''d all like to be involved in your search and see the results.
28.gif
I''m sure glad you still have that lovely yellow, GK. It was just breathtaking when I saw it.
30.gif

Can''t wait to help with setting Big Blue.

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 5/6/2006 4:02:03 PM
Dee Jay you may be right. I examined Big Blue, and it appears to have a modified pavillion/culet. Instead of all the pavillion facets meeting at a pointed culet, the facets coming from each of the end points of the oval meet about a millimeter on either side of the culet. The pavillion angle changes at that point, and ridges similar to those found on step cut stones flow into the culet from both ends. The effect when viewed from the long side with the stone face down is similar to the Acura car symbol, but with much wider inside angles.

Maybe some of the experts could chime in regarding how different, if at all, this is from typical oval cuts.

GK - When I look a the stone it almost looks like it's cut with a definite X and Y axis, kind of like some princess cuts if you turn them 45 degrees. (Does that make ANY sense whatsoever???) I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cut of this stone. If there is a name for it I would love to know so I can concentrate on finding one with that same facet pattern.

ETA when I was in Tiffany's last weekend buying a gift I just "happened" to stop by the counter with the engagement rings. I didn't actually try the oval solitare that they had on (in my blue jeans and keds I probably didn't make a very likely purchase candidate, LOL!), but it looked (from through the glass case) to be cut similar to your stone.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/6/2006 8:06:54 PM
Author: DiamondLil

Date: 5/3/2006 12:29:18 PM

I''m partial to ovals and have another 3+ ct natural fancy yellow in my collection as well. Obviously, we''d all like to be involved in your search and see the results.
28.gif
I''m sure glad you still have that lovely yellow, GK. It was just breathtaking when I saw it.
30.gif

Can''t wait to help with setting Big Blue.
Me too DL. It was part of my collection, so I get to keep it.

I hope to get started on the Big Blue setting in a week or two.

In the meantime, are you up for a gtg at the Chantilly Show? There at least used to be a decent restaurant in the hotel near the Expo Center. I plan to check it out in the next day or so and then start a thread.

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/6/2006 9:46:09 PM

Date: 5/6/2006 4:02:03 PM

GK - When I look a the stone it almost looks like it''s cut with a definite X and Y axis, kind of like some princess cuts if you turn them 45 degrees. (Does that make ANY sense whatsoever???) I LOVE LOVE LOVE the cut of this stone. If there is a name for it I would love to know so I can concentrate on finding one with that same facet pattern.

ETA when I was in Tiffany''s last weekend buying a gift I just ''happened'' to stop by the counter with the engagement rings. I didn''t actually try the oval solitare that they had on (in my blue jeans and keds I probably didn''t make a very likely purchase candidate, LOL!), but it looked (from through the glass case) to be cut similar to your stone.
The X/Y appearance may come from the ridge on the long axis, which is created by the end facets meeting to either side of instead of at the culet. When I start the thread on setting Big Blue, I''ll try to get a photo of the pavillion and we can ask the pros to comment. If there is a name, the experts here should know it. I think they are the best collection of expertise you''ll find in any forum, virtual or otherwise.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That stone is very beautiful!

I am just curious about something. What does irradiating a diamond do to it''s value?

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/7/2006 8:16:44 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
That stone is very beautiful!

I am just curious about something. What does irradiating a diamond do to it''s value?
I would expect it''s only done when the anticipated result is an increase in value. Since treated stones don''t typically sell for as much as good quality untreated stones, this means that only poor quality stones (such as those with bad color or visible inclusions, which can be masked or at least reduced in prominence by the treatment) are irradiated. As a result, for example, most irradiated blues end up very dark. That''s what makes Big Blue such an unusual stone.

flopkins

Ideal_Rock
ooo can''t wait to see what you do with it!!!

hm... this thread is making me think about irradiated blue diamonds again!
11.gif

that''s so funny about your mom - I''d love to have something like the Hope diamond too..
2.gif

lookingood35

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/18/2005 2:37:08 PM
Author:GemKlctr
Here is my 3.11ct irradiated blue diamond. It is 11.1x7.9x5.2mm and a VS clarity by my grading. It is a lighter colored and brighter stone than most treated diamonds. I''m not ready to set it yet, but eventually I will be seeking your advice. Several more photos to follow. Enjoy.

Can you tell me there is another gem that is close to this color?

Gemklctr

Shiny_Rock
Date: 5/14/2006 6:13:33 PM
Author: lookingood35

Date: 10/18/2005 2:37:08 PM
Author:GemKlctr
Here is my 3.11ct irradiated blue diamond. It is 11.1x7.9x5.2mm and a VS clarity by my grading. It is a lighter colored and brighter stone than most treated diamonds. I''m not ready to set it yet, but eventually I will be seeking your advice. Several more photos to follow. Enjoy.

Can you tell me there is another gem that is close to this color?
I saw your other post, and I think you are on the right track. Blue zircon is probably your best choice for color and brilliance. Good luck with your search.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results