shape
carat
color
clarity

my before & after images

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

jxl

Rough_Rock
Finally I received my ring set and pendant back from WF yesterday. Thanks to everyone who had answered my questions before.
I am very glad that I found pricescope.com. I have learned so much from this site, and felt much more confident to ship online.

Before: a set has been worn for 8+ years. I never sent the set for polish. (do you send rings for maintenance every 2-3 years?)
383027759_20fa484864.jpg

After : I like my original simple platinum ring set very much, so decided to keep both.
The new stone from WF (1.38 E VS1 with excellent cut) was set on my original e-ring. The prongs of the original setting were enhanced and sized to hold the bigger stone with "laser equipment" which I don''t know how to call it. I cannot tell the difference from my old setting -- very good job. Both wedding band and e-ring were polished -- jus look like brand new( I am very happy with it). My old stone from e-ring was used to make this platinum double-bail four prong solitaire pendant which has 6.8mm in diameter and looks pretty good/big on my neck.
30.gif

386098693_2828d500b1.jpg

386098695_0d6981f9ff.jpg

386098686_5c400efdaa.jpg

There is one thing bothering me
33.gif
-- I expected my new E VS1 stone to be much better than my old H VS2, but it''s not the case.
38.gif

The new one is bigger a little bit when I compare them side by side. Both "face up" look no different to my eye. Both are very sparkling -- my old one is just VG cut I guess. It''s hard to see the color different from the side when they are in the setting.

Both stones are mine. I should be happy for my H VS2 look nice. But I paid so much for the E VS1. I just wanted it to be a lot better.

jxl

Rough_Rock
Here are some better pictures from WF I like to share with you :

382088833_85828ffc62.jpg

384200760_4093981fed.jpg

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 2:49:11 PM
Author:jxl
Finally I received my ring set and pendant back from WF yesterday. Thanks to everyone who had answered my questions before.
I am very glad that I found pricescope.com. I have learned so much from this site, and felt much more confident to ship online.

Before: a set has been worn for 8+ years. I never sent the set for polish. (do you send rings for maintenance every 2-3 years?)
383027759_20fa484864.jpg

After : I like my original simple platinum ring set very much, so decided to keep both.
The new stone from WF (1.38 E VS1 with excellent cut) was set on my original e-ring. The prongs of the original setting were enhanced and sized to hold the bigger stone with ''laser equipment'' which I don''t know how to call it. I cannot tell the difference from my old setting -- very good job. Both wedding band and e-ring were polished -- jus look like brand new( I am very happy with it). My old stone from e-ring was used to make this platinum double-bail four prong solitaire pendant which has 6.8mm in diameter and looks pretty good/big on my neck.
30.gif

386098693_2828d500b1.jpg

386098695_0d6981f9ff.jpg

386098686_5c400efdaa.jpg

There is one thing bothering me
33.gif
-- I expected my new E VS1 stone to be much better than my old H VS2, but it''s not the case.
38.gif

The new one is bigger a little bit when I compare them side by side. Both ''face up'' look no different to my eye. Both are very sparkling -- my old one is just VG cut I guess. It''s hard to see the color different from the side when they are in the setting.

Both stones are mine. I should be happy for my H VS2 look nice. But I paid so much for the E VS1. I just wanted it to be a lot better.
Now... are you talking about so much better in color? clarity? sparkle? Because I''m not surprised there''s no discernable difference between color and clarity... but do you see arrows now? is the cut that much better? I think there are bad cuts and good cuts and great cuts and I dunno if we really see a huge diff between the good ones and the great ones, as long as we avoid the bad ones LOL My earrings are a horrible cut that offer almost nothing in terms of fire and are strictly brilliant (good whiteness I admit) but I think once you get into a certain range the differences are less noticible. Anyway, I''d like more feedback on the cut/sparkle aspect - because the color aspect is probably negligible.

jxl

Rough_Rock
Cehrabehra, I am talking about much better in color and sparkle. I know VS2 and VS1 is no different to the eye. Should I see the arrow very easily? I tired hard -- maybe it''s there. My H VS2 was certified in 1998, so I do not have cut information. But I asked WF help me take a IdealScope image before set into pendant. Do you want to see it? It does not have symmetric arrow for my H VS2.

jxl

Rough_Rock
The left one for E VS1 and the right one for H VS2 -- should I see "something" much better based on the ideal scope images?
361096681_2a60a4e1d2_m.jpg
387001514_639d4b1890_m.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Your rings and pendant are beautiful! Yes, the new stone is much better cut than the old one, but that does not mean that your old stone is not beautiful. You really don''t need to go as high as E color on a hearts and arrows stone, so you could have gone with H again and gotten a larger stone for your ring.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 3:46:42 PM
Author: jxl
The left one for E VS1 and the right one for H VS2 -- should I see ''something'' much better based on the ideal scope images?
361096681_2a60a4e1d2_m.jpg
387001514_639d4b1890_m.jpg
is that an accurate size difference as well? Your stone on the right looks pretty good for not having any sort of info on it... I mean it doesn''t have the H&A pattern but IMO that isn''t everything. A lot of people PREFER the random sparkle look of a non-H&A. Your old stone is a little dark under the table but I think overall it''s not that bad. I''m sure others who prefer superideal proportions and H&A patterning would disagree LOL

jxl

Rough_Rock
Thanks, diamondseeker2006 & Cehrabehra.

>>is that an accurate size difference as well?

Yes, the new one is 7.14-7.18 mm in diameter while the old one is 6.79-6.84mm.
The old one has 58.1% depth, 56%table, vg/vg ( no crown/pavilion angle etc).
They both looked pretty big when I looked at them separately.
But if I looked at them side by side, somehow they became smaller.
8.gif

I could tell color difference when I saw loose stone G & E side by side in a local jewelry store.
The E did look better than my H on the ring ( maybe my ring was not clean enough).
So I decided t go with E ( VS2 or VS1).

Well, I will look at them very often next few days for sure
2.gif

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I see more distinct hearts and arrows on the new stone, but your old stone in person is great!

I LOVE your new ring and you have a great pendant out of it, that is so great! A win win as far as jewelry goes...

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
jxl, I love your new stone!
36.gif

And I think it''s great you put your other in that beautiful pendant.

What you might notice, over time, is that your new one might sparkle in places/lighting situations, where your other one didn''t, or didn''t as much. Keep an eye on it and see what it does.
2.gif

But most of all, enjoy those beautiful new baubles!

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They both look great to me. Congratulations.

As far as size goes try taking a photo where the pendant is up on it''s side next to the ring. You should see the size difference. There is a mm difference.

Both do look very attractive in your photos. Check them out side by side in all kinds of lighting situations and then make your decision about the ring.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Both of your stones are gorgeous!
30.gif

Finding_Neverland

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 3:37:11 PM
Cehrabehra, I am talking about much better in color and sparkle. I know VS2 and VS1 is no different to the eye. Should I see the arrow very easily? I tired hard -- maybe it''s there. My H VS2 was certified in 1998, so I do not have cut information. But I asked WF help me take a IdealScope image before set into pendant. Do you want to see it? It does not have symmetric arrow for my H VS2.

Neil Beaty from AGR, an appraiser that posts on Price Scope, was talking about this the other night in one of his Webinars. He''s a very "geometric" type guy. He loves, loves, loves the H&A pattern and the performance of optimally cut diamonds. He said other people prefer the more random patterns and chaotic performance of well cut, non H&A diamonds.

There''s nothing wrong with you JXL. And there''s nothing wrong with either diamond. They both look beautiful. Each has it''s own unique personality. Just like you!!

Congrats on the upgrade!! Your ring looks fabulous!! AND you have one gorgeous pendant too!!
30.gif
30.gif
30.gif

upgrading mama

Brilliant_Rock
Can you return the new stone for a lower color/clarity to save some money, since you couldn''t see the difference??
I would. (even though i thnk this one is great!)

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/11/2007 11:45:38 PM
Author: Sophie
Can you return the new stone for a lower color/clarity to save some money, since you couldn''t see the difference??I would. (even though i thnk this one is great!)

Ditto! I''d check out larger "G" or "H" stones ... with lower clarity -- so the size will wow you compared to your pendant stone.

I think this is a good example though -- that some people have very pretty NON-Ideal stones out there! That should make you feel awesome ... that you''ve had a stone that looks as good as some super ideals ... for ALL THIS TIME!!! And didn''t have to pay the premium for it either!

Honestly I think it''s win win! (Especially if you end up with an even BIGGER stone!)
31.gif
9.gif

Kim N

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/12/2007 12:06:18 AM
Author: decodelighted

Can you return the new stone for a lower color/clarity to save some money, since you couldn''t see the difference??I would. (even though i thnk this one is great!)

Ditto! I''d check out larger ''G'' or ''H'' stones ... with lower clarity -- so the size will wow you compared to your pendant stone.

I think this is a good example though -- that some people have very pretty NON-Ideal stones out there! That should make you feel awesome ... that you''ve had a stone that looks as good as some super ideals ... for ALL THIS TIME!!! And didn''t have to pay the premium for it either!

Honestly I think it''s win win! (Especially if you end up with an even BIGGER stone!)
31.gif
9.gif
Double ditto! Since you can''t tell the color difference even from the side, I would go with a lower color, down to H. I''d also go down to VS2 to save some more money. You mentioned when you look at them side by side, they look smaller--if you go down in color and clarity, you can get a much larger stone for a similar price! Like Deco said, the size will wow you compared to your pendant stone.

Also, I''ve found that one of the easiest ways to see arrows is to hold a stone up with the light source as backlighting. The arrows become silvery and easily visible.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
the old stone is quite well cut it looks like, a bit of darkness under the table but really great light return!

but that new one should be singing as well. i love seeing my arrows, and because of that i don''t think i''d ever want a round on my hand where i couldn''t see the arrows (OEC''s excepted!) because i just love them. also i agree with the others re :the E VS1...i would have gotten another H VS2 or even H SI1, that''s a sweet spot. i had a G VS1 and went to H SI1 then J SI2 and now i''m J SI1. honestly i loved them all but the G was almost too white for me!

that is an amazing stone for a pendant, you are totally blinged out now. congrats!

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/12/2007 1:49:54 AM
Author: Kim N

Date: 2/12/2007 12:06:18 AM
Author: decodelighted

Ditto! I''d check out larger ''G'' or ''H'' stones ... with lower clarity -- so the size will wow you compared to your pendant stone.

31.gif
9.gif
Double ditto! Since you can''t tell the color difference even from the side, I would go with a lower color, down to H. I''d also go down to VS2 to save some more money. You mentioned when you look at them side by side, they look smaller--if you go down in color and clarity, you can get a much larger stone for a similar price! Like Deco said, the size will wow you compared to your pendant stone.

Also, I''ve found that one of the easiest ways to see arrows is to hold a stone up with the light source as backlighting. The arrows become silvery and easily visible.
Tripple ditto
2.gif

You won on all sides. First of all I LOVE your wedding set. Elegant and timeless. May I ask from where it comes ?

Second, I LOVE your pendant. The stone is fabulous, especially considering it is not a H&A.

Third: About E VS1 it is all matter of subjectivity.

Clarity as well as colour are also in the eye of the beholder. Some are more sensitive to colour. If you can''t notice any difference between you H and E in all possible lighting conditions or/and if a slight difference doesn''t bother you, then I would change the stone for an H (or a G if you really want to be on the safe side) VS2 or SI1 (provided SI1 is eye clean) and get a bigger stone for the same price ! this way you will really feel a significant size difference without sacrifying beauty.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Love what a polish can do on an old set...bright and shiny! The new stone is gorgeous, and the old one, while not hearts and arrows, is still pretty darn good as far as light return. Do you see absolutely no difference in tinge with respect to the stone colors? I could definitely see a difference between my D and an H...wondering if you would at least be able to see some difference with your E.

jxl

Rough_Rock
Thanks to everyone -- you have made me feel much better.
1.gif

I used to have people coming up and telling me I had a nice ring. Yes, my original stone sparkled nicely.
After I compared IdealScope images for both stones, I set a very high expectation for the new stone E VS1 .
So I got a little bit disappointed when I compared them on last Sat.. When I drave through Lincoln tunnel on Sat., both sparked like crazy in the dark with many lights coming from the car window. But I was really wishing the E VS1 did better. ....

I mentioned in my previous post before, all IS images I saw online were very similiar and didn''t know how to tell which one was better or bad. When I saw the IS image for my H VS2 stone first time, I was totally shocked even after WF warned me that it''s going to be different but did not mean it''s not good. I made up my expectation for this E VS1 anyway.

Regarding color, I can tell a little different when look at them from side in natural light with a white paper as background. The H is now in the basket with a metal circle around the side, so it''s hard to tell the color. The E is definitely no color (white?).
When both face up, it''s very hard to tell the difference . Maybe the E looks clearer a little bit sometime.

If I still cannot find the difference or feel no worth for my $$, I know now I have option to get G VS2 for a bigger one.
2.gif

Thanks for the idea. However, the stone search process can be quite stressful sometime. Once find a stone, it still takes long time to get everything settled. It''s 3 weeks for me this time including 3-4 days mailing my own ring over.

Resizing my original prongs was not my first choice. Anyway it got to be done that way. In term of the look of my e-ring, I am fine.
But I like to know whether it can last when the prongs was enhanced with more metal and resized with laser welder. Any idea?

My next project is to get a pair of studs. Any suggestion welcome. But I think I should take some time.

Thank you again , everyone. I am so glad I can talk with you the problem/question/concern.

jxl

Rough_Rock
>> First of all I LOVE your wedding set. Elegant and timeless. May I ask from where it comes ?

ayala_jessica, I am glad you like wedding set too. I like simple stuff, so I ma quite happy with this set. I got it done via a jeweler working in NYC diamond district. The jewelry store I got my stone from found me this jeweler. So I don''t know his name.
8.gif

ayala_jessica

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/13/2007 5:50:02 PM
>> First of all I LOVE your wedding set. Elegant and timeless. May I ask from where it comes ?

ayala_jessica, I am glad you like wedding set too. I like simple stuff, so I ma quite happy with this set. I got it done via a jeweler working in NYC diamond district. The jewelry store I got my stone from found me this jeweler. So I don''t know his name.
8.gif
Thank you jxl, this way I will have a very good reason to mill about the diamond district a whole day once I come to NYC
9.gif

Enjoy your wedding set and pendant, look at your ring, try to "fall in love" with your new diamond but if you still don''t click on it, don''t hesitate to change the stone if you feel the E colour is "overkill".
I understand it is VERY frustrating to be apart from your ring for 2-3 weeks more but it will be so much reward once you''ve found a stone that makes you sing
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results