shape
carat
color
clarity

My B&M gemstone rings. . .

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
So I was a little bored and took pics of some of my favorite rings. It''s funny because all my friends think I have a jewelry obsession. Since finding PS I don''t have a thing on some of the members here! I don''t knoiw if I will ever buy from a B&M store again. Though there is something to be said for convenience and hands on shopping. In anycase, here are some of my favorite rings. Let me know what you think. Please pardon the pics. I never realized how hard jewelry pics were to take. WOW!

First up is a created pink sapphire set in P4. It''s bridge set (I think they call it) where the sapphires in the band go under the center stone. I love that setting!

The scattered diamond ring was my first real diamond purchase. I believe it''s 1/2 carat total weight. But I''m not sure. It''s the middle size of the sizes they had. The largest was 1 carat I think and the whole ring was just too wide for me. I adore this ring and wear it so much I have to get it replated all the time.

Then on the right side is a ring I bought on clearance. It''s pave set (I believe, still learning on that and don''t know what micro pave is in relation to pave!) It''s 3/8 carat and sparkes like mad in real life. I have no clue how to capture that on the camera. Well I could go outside but it''s way too cold here!

HB_Rings1.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Here are my blue sapphire and topaz rings. I adore both of these. The sapphire was so hard to photo. It''s really not that dark. But it''s interesting because the bottom of the stone is lighter than the top. If I turn the ring over the bottom is still lighter. It''s odd. I wasn''t sure I liked that, but it grew on me.

As for the Blue Topaz - I was wondering if that stacker ring of that halo just bought would look good with it? What do you all think? The Blue Topaz might be too overpowering for it. I just adore that stacker though.

HB_Rings2.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
These are a bit more random. On top is a cheapy peridot ring that I bought many years ago. Over 10 years ago. My grandparents had put $50 in my xmas card that year. We didn''t get to celebrate xmas because my gma got sick right before xmas and passed away shortly after. This ring was on sale for $50 and it''s her birthstone. So I bought it as a gift from her. So it''s more sentimental than anything else.

Top right is a created ruby and white sapphire that has a matching necklace. Got that for v-day one year from my now FI.

Bottom left is an amber ring that I got in Nuemunster (sp?) Germany.

Bottom right is TWEETY! For those of you that saw my ering pics - I love Tweety. I''ve had this ring forever and I don''t wear yellow gold anymore. I wore the heck out of that ring when I got it. I think it was a Wal-Mart special
1.gif

HB_Rings4.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
This a mystic topaz that I got in mexico while on a cruise. I think from Diamonds International. They tried to rip me off in price, but I think I got a fair price on it. However, I don''t know how to care for this stone? Can someone educate me? It has a white bottom if that makes sense. I just saw one this week at a jewelry store and it has the same bottom. This ring has loss some of it''s sparkle, but not nearly as much as it looks in the picture. It''s full of several colors - purple, blue, green, red. . . but talk about hard to photo! I do like the setting though.

HB_Mystic.JPG

Upgradable

Ideal_Rock
Beautiful!!! What terrific taste you have! You''ll be a great contributer to our obsessions!!!!

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
My pearl ring that I just got for my bday this year. It came from Whitehall on their going bankrupt sale. So the price was decent. I have been wanting a pearl for a long time and never found a setting I liked. Stumbled across this one with my mom and she bought it for me for my bday. The pearl is not a bit yellow as it photographed. It does have a bit of a pink tint to it. I hesitate to say that. It''s very slight, but I like it because it goes well with my skin tone.

HB_Pearl.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
And last but not least . . . my tanzanite. Now the sales lady swears to me that this is a genuine stone. I got it from Whitehall a long time ago. This lady had left whitehall and is now back. But it''s not Whitehall anymore. But she still tells me it''s genuine to this day. I don''t know how to tell?

I ADORE this setting. But it''s yellow gold. I don''t wear yellow gold anymore. I thought about plating it, but not sure how long that would last. Or if I could remove it should it wear unevenly. But I think the setting is very unique and wish I could magically change it to white gold. Dang it.

HB_Tanzanite.JPG

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks for the compliment. I soooo LOVE jewelry!

But what is missing? Well to start a split shank setting is missing! I WANT ONE! Stackers are missing. Tourmalines, spinel, tsavorites. . . they are all missing! :) Ha ha! No really. I so want to try my hand a creating my own ring. I kind of have cold feet. Probably because I don''t know of a jeweler in this area that I like and that I know will put it together for me. Then I have a zillion questions and still can''t decide if I start with the stone or the setting first. Yikes! But I think I will be getting that stacker that halo has. I just love it. I really truly want a split shank setting that won''t break my wallet. :)

ringthing!

Rough_Rock
Love your rings....especially the blue topaz and the pearl. I, myself, like pretty simple settings; probably what is called traditional or classic. I like to see jewelry in person to purchase it, but buying from a B&M store will cost more...more mark-up because the jewelry has passed through more hands. I have purchased from websites, too; and have been pretty satisfied.

Anyway, I, like you, think I have a jewelry obsession. But that''s not a bad thing, is it?
9.gif

smile:]

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From one jewelry obsessed person to another, thanks for sharing your collection. I wouldn''t mess with the tanzanite as far as plating goes. It could chip in the process and it can not take any heat to the stone. Not sure if the jeweler would take the stone out before they plate it or not......but I am guessing that they would in order not to crack the stone. Tanzanite is very brittle/soft. I know, I have experienced chipping my tanzanite ring and from that day forward I decided never to have a tanzanaite RING again.
23.gif

If you are wanting to start from scratch and have a new gemstone ring, I would pick out the gemstone first. Try to find one that may be callibrated as it is easier to find a setting for them. For example a 7mm x 5 mm stone is a very common setting size. Make sure that the stone is not too deep though...you don''t want the culet to hit your finger.
1.gif

got2goldens

Shiny_Rock
Hey HB!
Nice rings! I''d like to come over and borrow those...all of them
31.gif

Kat

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much for sharing!! I love looking at other''s jewelry (and gem stones!!).

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
What a nice collection! I love the blue topaz and scattered diamond rings.

Diamond*Dana

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a beautiful collection! Thank you for sharing!

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/17/2009 7:52:22 PM
Author: hoofbeats95
This a mystic topaz that I got in mexico while on a cruise. I think from Diamonds International. They tried to rip me off in price, but I think I got a fair price on it. However, I don''t know how to care for this stone? Can someone educate me? It has a white bottom if that makes sense. I just saw one this week at a jewelry store and it has the same bottom. This ring has loss some of it''s sparkle, but not nearly as much as it looks in the picture. It''s full of several colors - purple, blue, green, red. . . but talk about hard to photo! I do like the setting though.
The problem with "mystic topaz" is that the weird colour is due to a coating that is applied to the stone. This coating will wear away and get scratched when you wear the stone.

There is nothing you can do to fix it as it''s not natural - is also why the bottom of the stone is white - the coating has only been applied to the top.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a lovely collection. Thanks for showing us.

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
Hoofbeats - lovely collection, thank you so much for sharing the pictures
1.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
What a fun collection!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HB, thanks for sharing your collection with us. Very pretty.
36.gif

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You have a very nice collection. Looks like you have the Reds,blues, pinks, yellows covered. Now what is the next color gemstone for you?

Lisa

hoofbeats95

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 1/23/2009 7:07:48 PM
Author: LisaRN
You have a very nice collection. Looks like you have the Reds,blues, pinks, yellows covered. Now what is the next color gemstone for you?

Lisa
I need a green! Preferably a blue-green tourmaline! Also I adore pink and would like a pink spinel. :) And more blues. . . I can''t ever have enough blues. PS has opened my eyes to all the gemstone possiblities! I don''t know what I want first. Oh and a color change stone at some point! :) Ha ha! Where to begin?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results