shape
carat
color
clarity

My Asscher looks so cool in low light - anyone else?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
hey, strm, I have a quick question. Can you tell me what causes this effect when I tilt my diamond? Is it a reflection?

strangereflection.jpg

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Storm, very cool!!!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 4:09:22 PM
Author: NewEnglandLady
hey, strm, I have a quick question. Can you tell me what causes this effect when I tilt my diamond? Is it a reflection?
sure, one huge virtual facet is leaking, you can see the pink of your finger, the dark is a virtual facet reflecting obstruction (maybe a little girdle reflection too).
Tilt it some more then back and those areas will send a nice large wink(sparkle) your way as they start returning light and the virtual facet is destroyed and rebuilt.
If you tilt it slowly in small steps you can find that point and just the natural shaking of your hand will make it wink at you on and off unless you have very very steady hands.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, strm! I took the shot awhile ago, but tried to capture it when the image was darkest. If I tilt it even a tiny bit more, it changes. I wish I had an ASET of my stone so I could see how it leaks/reflects.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 4:24:48 PM
Thanks, strm! I took the shot awhile ago, but tried to capture it when the image was darkest. If I tilt it even a tiny bit more, it changes. I wish I had an ASET of my stone so I could see how it leaks/reflects.
every diamond does that it is just less apparent on diamonds with small virtual facets and you might not see it with your eyes as the brain will tend too blend it together.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 4:27:39 PM
Author: strmrdr

Date: 4/26/2008 4:24:48 PM
every diamond does that it is just less apparent on diamonds with small virtual facets and you might not see it with your eyes as the brain will tend too blend it together.
Do you have a .gem file for your diamond?
If you do I can show you what the virtual facets look like at that point.

NewEnglandLady

Ideal_Rock
I wish I did, strm.

It''s funny that you mention the difference you see with your naked eye vs. camera. I am nearly positive I have an asscher with a dark center because when I photograph it, it always appears dark in the center. Today I photographed it while wearing a black sweater and it''s even darker than usual, haha. But, I never see the darkness with my naked eye. That''s why I wish I had an aset or even an idealscope. I know they aren''t as informative for fancies, but I''d like to have that information in addition to how it looks to the naked eye.

Anyway, thanks again for your help, strm!!

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/26/2008 4:51:27 PM
I wish I did, strm.

It''s funny that you mention the difference you see with your naked eye vs. camera. I am nearly positive I have an asscher with a dark center because when I photograph it, it always appears dark in the center. Today I photographed it while wearing a black sweater and it''s even darker than usual, haha. But, I never see the darkness with my naked eye. That''s why I wish I had an aset or even an idealscope. I know they aren''t as informative for fancies, but I''d like to have that information in addition to how it looks to the naked eye.

Anyway, thanks again for your help, strm!!
can you take and post a face up shot of the diamond both from a distance and close up while wearing the black sweater if you want too make it interesting wear a red sweater and do the same :}?

EmeraldCutQuest

Shiny_Rock
Storm -- how do the virtual facets and your comments change when applied to an Emerald Cut? I realize it is also a step cut, but they are not symetrical.

--ECQ (no longer).

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2008 1:33:59 AM
Author: EmeraldCutQuest
Storm -- how do the virtual facets and your comments change when applied to an Emerald Cut? I realize it is also a step cut, but they are not symetrical.

--ECQ (no longer).
Virtual facets define all diamond cuts.
the EC has very large virtual facets in the center, small and med on the ends.
they get larger as it is tilted because of the large pavilion facets.
Btw I can even explain glassy EC cuts using virtual facets.
This one has a 60% table
The pavilion facets and the virtual facets are in red.

EVvirtualinred.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here is a large table EC notice the lack of virtual facets compared too the above.
few virtual facets == little life.
Combine that with a large table prone too glare and you have a glassy diamond.
Most of the life in this diamond would be at the ends.

glassyEC.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
hmmm can you see the red virtual facets OK?

Something I should explain also is larger virtual facets take more movement too give them life.
Which is why some people love 4 chevron princess cuts and crashed ice radiant as they throw a sparkle with the slightest movements but only in direct or harsher or brigher lighting.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
btw all of the above in my posts in this thread is my opinion and based on my research.
Some experts may disagree some may agree.

others are going too talk too me for giving too much away for free.
But since I can do pattern too virtual facets in my head I dont mind too much as knowing and being able too do it is a very very huge jump.

beaujolais

Ideal_Rock
What an interesting discussion. I had no idea about virtual facets. I just printed this out for my diamond info. file.

Again, Storm.
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I believe you work in computers but someone one in the diamond industry should grab you up and pay you Huge Gobs of money for your knowledge and thinking.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you for the kind words sonomacounty.

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Since this is a thread about asschers I will use one too demonstrate the power of virtual facets.
This is a strmrdr original design called 8 ghosts.

8ghosts1.jpg

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here are the virtual facets that create the pattern

8ghostsVF.jpg

EmeraldCutQuest

Shiny_Rock
Thanks, Storm, for the EC discussion ... makes perfect sense!

--ECQ (no longer).

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/27/2008 12:55:29 PM
Author: EmeraldCutQuest
Thanks, Storm, for the EC discussion ... makes perfect sense!

--ECQ (no longer).
Your welcome!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results