shape
carat
color
clarity

My aqua

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Well, my father surprised me with an aquamarine for christmas. He went to several different jewelry stores and online and he said this was the best one. The color and size is great. The only downside is if you tilt it, it appears windowed (I don't think it is). So I had a hard time getting pics. But I thought I would share. I will try for better ones tomorrow.

Here are the stats:

Mixed cut oval aquamarine
9.93 x 7.92 x 5.03 mm
2.19 ct
clarity: eye clean type I
color: Medium light, moderately strong, blue color (GIA B 4/4) - I have no idea what this means
Cut: Good

The pics don't pick up the color that great, this pic is as close to the real color I see

IMG_0724_3.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Looks like a pretty color. What are your plans for this?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know. I want this stone in the evening, for going out to dinner and stuff, that is why I got a bigger one than I normally get. I was thinking a plain solitaire or a pave band. I think a halo would be too much for my style, but I could change my mind. I would like to set it in a way that helps keep the color even. I am willing to take any suggestions to help maximize the beauty of the stone. Be honest, but please realize I can''t return it. I was planning on taking it to my local jeweler tomorrow to see what he could do with it.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Here is a pic on my hand

IMG_0729_2.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Last one for now, in the box. Hopefully natural light will be better.

IMG_0731_2.jpg

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a 8 x 10 mm pink sapphire (kind of a baby pink) that I have mounted with 2 small diamonds on each side. I like it quite a bit and I think something like that would be lovely with your aqua. Have fun looking around tomorrow.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks, I will put up the finished product whenever I get it.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I''m not crazy about that stone''s clarity level, especially cause it''s an aqua which should be flawless and crystal clear. Because of that I wouldn''t use any diamonds, cause they would probably (with their strong brilliance) make the clarity issue even more obvious.

I''d think about some side stones like small milky aqua cabochones - they''re inexpensive and would bring an interesting detail to the design. Besides, their translucent quality would make clarity of the center stone seem better. If you don''t want sides I''d do some kind of satin finish on the (white) metal or some interesting combo of finishes.

If you''re thinking about a simple thin shank, think about a step that will connect it with the center stone, cause this aqua isn''t small and if you go from a 2 mm shank to a 10 mm stone, the jump in size might seem awkward. Connecting the two with a metal portion similar to semi-bezel would be great. Of course that''s assuming you''ll set it N-S which I think is best, cause the other way around wouldn''t leave much space for the setting and shank to be visible.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Well for the clarity, it is fine when it is not blown up by my camera. I am thinking a basket setting to protect the stone. I like the idea of small diamond sides if I can afford it. I just looked at the stone this morning, and it has some things about it I like and don't like. I think the aqua has some gray in it, and I think there may be a bit too much. But the blue is very pretty, like the sky, and it does sparkle like mad. If I were buying this stone myself, I am unsure what I would do with it. But this is a gift, and my Dad used to love gemstones and has not been able to buy one for probably 20+ years. So of course I appreciate his excitement and his effort (he brought the Wise book to the store to help him remember the color). I'm sure this one will be serve it's purpose for now (having a large stone to wear at night).

coatimundi_org

Ideal_Rock
What a sweet and thoughtful Dad!
1.gif
(wish my dad was into gems haha!)

Enjoy your new pretty!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/26/2008 12:34:47 PM
Author: LtlFirecracker
Well for the clarity, it is fine when it is not blown up by my camera. I am thinking a basket setting to protect the stone. I like the idea of small diamond sides if I can afford it. I just looked at the stone this morning, and it has some things about it I like and don't like. I think the aqua has some gray in it, and I think there may be a bit too much. But the blue is very pretty, like the sky, and it does sparkle like mad. If I were buying this stone myself, I am unsure what I would do with it. But this is a gift, and my Dad used to love gemstones and has not been able to buy one for probably 20+ years. So of course I appreciate his excitement and his effort (he brought the Wise book to the store to help him remember the color). I'm sure this one will be serve it's purpose for now (having a large stone to wear at night).
That is a very pretty stone, and it was so sweet of your dad to go through all the research and work to find you such a nice stone. I think it would look great in a setting like this. It would fit into a 10 x 8 calibrated stone mount. It could be bezel set in here, or you could add prongs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Oval-8X10mm-Pave-Diamond-14k-Gold-Semi-Mount-Ring_W0QQitemZ370133063662QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGemstone_Rings?hash=item370133063662&_trksid=p3911.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318

ETA: I also wish my dad was into gems, unfortunately, he's only into cigars (for himself! Ha!!). What a lucky girl you are!

mochi

Ideal_Rock
Your aqua has a very pretty color. This setting, IMHO, is very pretty and gives some protection to the stone. I wonder if it can be made to have a couple of diamonds to the sides of it. A east/west would look nice also.

1087_1.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Coatimundi, Tourmaline Lover, Mochi - thanks very much. It was a nice surprise to find out my Dad used to be into gems. I brought my tsav home for him to see because he used to really love emeralds. He had no idea they existed and loves mine. I have a local jeweler here that I really trust (I am visiting my hometown right now), I am going to bring both stones and try to set one of them. I think that LOGR ring might be the best setting for the aqua, and may just set the tsav while i am here. Depends on what they have to offer.

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Third stone for the year. Congratulations! It's lovely that your dad shares your interest.

Eta: Here's a crazy idea. How about moonstone sides?

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Harriet. I am starting to like it more.

I like the idea of moonstone sides, but I am think about doing that for my sapphire.

I got the tsav set today, I got an old estate setting for it. The aqua will stay in a box for a few more months. I tried a couple settings with it. It looks really good EW on a pave setting, but I am sure there are plenty of things it will look good with.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I can''t wait to see your tsavorite when it''s finished.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I think it''s pretty and you are lucky to have a dad you who shop for a stone! It''ll be nice in a ring. I''d like it with a halo to set the blue away from skin tone. But I''ve also seen a gorgeous aqua set with yellow gold as a solitare.

And did I hear tsavorite????

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Here are a couple pics of the setting I got. It is a WG estate piece. I am thinking about having the stone lowered, but am wondering if it will darken it too much.

IMG_0744e.jpg

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Here is the profile view.

Thanks everyone, yes I had a loose tsav that I needed to set. I took both stones to the jewelry store to see what I could find. The best aqua setting was way more than the best setting for the tsavorite. So I decided to set that.

IMG_0745e.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yummy Aqua! Your dad did a nice job. I have an antique aqua in a simple White gold basket setting that I adore. The ring was from my husband''s grandmother so I love the fact that the setting is all about the stone. Since the ring will be sentimental and most likely passed down in the family I suggest a simple basket setting.

Lisa

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ltl,

It''s lovely, as is your Dad.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Pretty!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a wonderful present from your dad! Isn''t it amazing how sparkly aqua''s can be? I like the color. It''s coming across my monitor with a slightly greenish cast which I like in aquas.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
MarcyC - thanks for the complements. I will give the tsavoirite it''s own thread when I get the prongs the way I want them.

Harriet - thanks

Kelley, Lisa RN, and Catmom - thanks. After reading this and other threads, I am thinking the LOGR ring that TL put up is my best bet, but I have to find someone I trust to set stones.

loriken214

Ideal_Rock
WOW...such an AWESOME Dad and AMAZING stone that he chose for you!!!

Lori

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Lovely setting too!

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
What a sweet gift from your dad - I''m sure every time you look at it you will think of him and it will make you smile
1.gif
Can''t wait to see what setting it ends up in
36.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Thank you loriken214, ambergretchen for the nice words.

Marcyc. Thanks- I love this new setting

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Very beautiful!

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I think it''s lovely! How nice of your dad-mine wouldn''t even know what a gem was!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results