shape
carat
color
clarity

My almost perfect E-Ring

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Bambina

Rough_Rock
After too many trials and tribulations, that I saved you all from, my ring was finally to be ready to my specifications today. After getting up the nerve to look in the box, I peered in and the top of the ring looked perfect. I was so hopeful that this would finally be it. The halo sufficiently rounded, thin band and very dainty. But when I looked at the side, the diamond was set too high.
39.gif
The setting is already high and I''m not sure if it looks good with the diamond sitting high too. Needless to say I was crushed. My FI and I waited an hour while the jeweler tried to set it a little lower, but I knew it wasn''t going to be enough-- I could see that the halo opening was too small for the ring to set in upto the girdle. Too be honest, we had seen the mold and I hadn''t noticed it then, but now it was clear that it wasn''t going to set how I wanted.

After almost bursting into tears (I''ve been waiting 3 month!). He told me to take it home and see if it would grow on me, if not, I could bring it back in and he would make a new setting (again). The only reason I agreed to this arrangement was because I loved (love) everything else about it and he said the diamond will not sparkle as much if he set it in more? Could this be true? I need your advice. Too high vs. loose sparkle...thoughts? I hope you enjoy my almost perfect ering pictures.

Specs: Cushion, 1.71, H, VS1

ring1_320x240.JPG

Bambina

Rough_Rock
another pic

ring2_320x240.JPG

Bambina

Rough_Rock
side view

ring3_320x240.JPG

Bambina

Rough_Rock
Another side view.

ring4_320x240a.JPG

Bambina

Rough_Rock
With the matching wedding band.

ring5_320x240a.JPG

Bambina

Rough_Rock
Side view with the wedding band.

ring6_320x240a.JPG

Bambina

Rough_Rock
Another side view

ring7_320x240a.JPG

Bambina

Rough_Rock
See how high it sits?

ring8_320x240a.JPG

Bambina

Rough_Rock
Front view.

ring9_320x240a.JPG

Bambina

Rough_Rock
Now for some fun shots.

ring10_320x240.JPG

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bambina, you have a very beautiful ring. I would love to see some pictures closer up of your ring to see the detail more. It looks lovely on your hand and is quite a stunner.
However, if you specified for the ring to be made in a certain way, that''s what you should get. The custom design process is difficult and sometimes not rewarding, and other times incredibly rewarding. I agree with stepping back for a few days and seeing if you like it. If it still drives you nuts after a few days...it probably always will and you should have it changed.

Bambina

Rough_Rock
Shell I show you another?

ring11_320x240.JPG

Bambina

Rough_Rock
I''m still trying to get the hang of cropping photos, but this should be a closer view.

ring7b.jpg

Bambina

Rough_Rock
Last one.

ring9b.jpg

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
These pictures are much better. Looking at the last one, the setting is quite high. Also, there *might* be a quick solultion to get the diamond down 1mm or so. It looks like the stone could be moved down so that the culet is peeking into the base of the setting and the prongs can be trimmed a bit down. However, this depends on the dimensions of the girdle and the width of the halo. The halo might not allow the stone to be moved any farther down.

Bambina

Rough_Rock
Hi K,
I really don''t think it can be moved much more unfortunatly. I want it now so badly I''m afraid I''m trying to convince myself that it''s ok, but I''m with you it''s a tad too high. I was so mad when I realized this. I asked him, "Does this look like the pictures I provided?" He didn''t even respond.

A quick synopsis of the last few months...
1. Jeweler got started late.
2. My FI wanted to surprise me with it, even though I had discussed the design and specific details with the jeweler.
3. FI''s too busy so he doesn''t go look at the first wax.
4. FI doesn''t even take home the ring when it''s ready, bc he sees it and knows it''s not what I wanted.
5. He bring me in. The ring is much clunkier and bling blingier than I would ever want. Again, I discuss the design with the jeweler and leave more pictures.
6. **I** ok the 2nd wax.
7. Get notified that the cast has broke and they''ll need to make a new wax.
8. Ok 3rd wax.
9. Don''t think to place the diamond in the wax to make sure it fits (My fault? Jewelers?).
10. Today: It''s lovely. But still not quite right.

We''ll see how this week goes.

tanuki

Shiny_Rock
It''s beautiful - I like that the diamond sits a little above the halo.

Have you tried it with the wedding band? Having the diamond a little high gives you room for the rings to sit closer together.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
the diamond is sitting beautifully. the setting itself is rather high, but I like it.

you wanted the girdle to be down in the setting?

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
The diamond looks way to high to me and if it''s bothering you, have them fix it.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2006 8:44:03 AM
Author: mrssalvo
The diamond looks way to high to me and if it''s bothering you, have them fix it.
I would have to agree.

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It looks perfect to me - I prefer stones in high settings.

ladykemma

Ideal_Rock
i have never had custom work done but if she ok''d the wax, then it''s hers, isn''t it?

correct me if i''m wrong.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2006 8:53:51 AM
Author: ladykemma
i have never had custom work done but if she ok''d the wax, then it''s hers, isn''t it?

correct me if i''m wrong.
I know what you''re saying, and yes, she ok''d the wax, but not with the diamond in it. So she really didn''t ok the whole "look". Now, whose fault is that? I don''t know, but I think the jeweler should have stuck the diamond in there to get a total visual.

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I love your ring however the diamond is set way too high
15.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the halo is set too high and the diamond is set too high. The halo is not big enough for the diamond and that is why it doesn''t fit down farther. I do love prong set diamonds in halo''s, but they should just be barely above the level of the halo. Truthfully, I''d never go custom unless I was having an exact copy made of another ring to be certain that there was no misunderstanding. And there are ready-made halo settings that are beautiful as well, such as the Vatche''s. But I wouldn''t keep it because you won''t be happy. But you need to provide him with a picture of a ring that is exactly like you want, and you need to look at the wax with your stone in it this time. I think he''s really being nice to offer to remake it again especially when your BF didn''t look at the first wax and let him proceed.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bambina, personally I think the diamond is set too high and it would look much better lower. I don't see why setting it lower would reduce sparkle at all, chances are if it bothers you now it always will, better to go through some more inconvenience now and have it perfect than leave it. This is a special ring and you need to have it the way you want.

Sorry for what you have been through, I know it is so upsetting.

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with DiamondSeeker on both points re halo too high as well as diamond. It does look like the diamond wouldn''t be able to be set down any farther into the halo. It is a beautiful ring, but I would be very worried about hitting it since it''s so high.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Bambina,
I agree that the diamond sits too high, the halo is too high as well. If this bothers you as it seems to, take it back and have him fix it. You can''t talk yourself into loving it. I''d write a list of everything you want in the new ring and go over every detail with him. Good luck.
1.gif

decodelighted

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 8/27/2006 8:44:03 AM
Author: mrssalvo
I almost get mad just looking at it. I can''t even IMAGINE how you must feel! If the jeweler has gotten it this wrong TWICE, I''d be tempted to try to negotiate a refund. I think they should have showed you the stone IN the wax. Oh I''m so steamed. Can''t comment anymore.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Lovely ring!! But if the height is worrysome for you, then certainly ask about having it amended. You need to be perfectly happy!

cheers--Sharon

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results