shape
carat
color
clarity

#JOTW My Alexandrite ring ... A year+ in the making

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
My s/o bought this 2.02 natural unheated & untreated alexandrite for me a little over a year ago after I had ogled it on Multicorlour's website for several months. I stumbled upon it when we were discussing birthstones, and he asked that I google search his. This exact stone came up in the search results, and it was love at first sight. I would wake up each morning, sip my coffee and admire this stone, never really believing it would one day be mine. Well, s/o's grandma spilled the beans that he wanted to buy it for me, so we embarked on the colored stone buying journey with the assistance of several knowledgable CS connoisseurs (LD, Chrono and Minousbijoux to name a few). My Alex wasn't perfect with its window, but it was perfect for me and made my heart melt every time I looked at the pictures.

Following a few unpleasant local jeweler experiences, a car accident resulting in the total loss of my car, and a year later, I found Poppyseed, who worked with me to have Amcor create this beautiful custom ring displaying various aspects of other rings I had seen and loved, but still let's my Alex remain the star of the show. The ring is milgrained, 14K unplated white gold with just under a half carat of 1 & 1.5 pt melee.

Thanks so much to each of you who helped along the way and provided kind suggestions and a wealth of information. Pricescope is the single best source of ideas, information and inspiration for gemstones!

Without further ado ... pics! Just know that Alex is a difficult stone to photograph and capture it's true colors. The greens are almost dead on in terms of hue and saturation; the purples are actually a little darker & mixed with green flashes in the lighting I have available to me. I hope to capture it's true incandescent color soon.

_20124.jpg

_20125.jpg

_20126.jpg

_20127.jpg

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And a few more ...

_20128.jpg

_20129.jpg

_20130.jpg

_20131.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow wow wow.

I love this it just beautiful. If the colors are at all like the photos its stunning. I use to have a bezel halo pear myself and I'm quite partial to the style!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
I've never seen a stone like that in my life- it's magic! Beautiful. I love the setting. Congratulations!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thank you both. For reference, here is the video & pic from multicolour of the unset Alex. The stone definitely darkened up in the bezel setting, but I felt better about its security this way vs prong setting it.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/62766553

_20132.jpg

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
What a great fit with the halo!

Rena7

Shiny_Rock
Your ring is so beautiful. Thank you for sharing the pictures. :appl:

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh how beautiful! :love: :love: :love: Amazing stone and such a gorgeous setting (I'm a major halo fan!), it's fabulous! :clap:

luv2sparkle

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is a great Alex! It has great color change. Your ring is gorgeous! Lucky lucky you!

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
JoCoJenn|1405131908|3711751 said:
Thank you both. For reference, here is the video & pic from multicolour of the unset Alex. The stone definitely darkened up in the bezel setting, but I felt better about its security this way vs prong setting it.

http://player.vimeo.com/video/62766553

Oh Wow! Never saw anything like that, thanks for the video. What an amazing stone!

Kudos on your setting choice- I could not envision a prettier way to set her. Wear in good health!

thecat

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love color changing gems and your setting is so lovely. Amazing ring!

lioness

Brilliant_Rock
Wow!

SandyCheeks

Brilliant_Rock
I love how the shank tapers out towards the halo. Just beautiful

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, love the stone and ring setting, thanks for sharing!

DK :love:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beauty! Such a unique stone :love:
The details in the profile are stunning and I love the slightly tapered shank.

Scarlett1

Brilliant_Rock
Absolutely gorgeous!!! I love how the colour shifts!!!

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
apacherose|1405131377|3711744 said:
I've never seen a stone like that in my life- it's magic! Beautiful. I love the setting. Congratulations!
+1 to the above! :sun:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a stone! Alexandrite is my birthstone (June) and it must be because it's changeable like Geminis! Beautiful stone and ring - you get several colors of ring all in one!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
MissGotRocks|1405162231|3711920 said:
What a stone! Alexandrite is my birthstone (June) and it must be because it's changeable like Geminis! Beautiful stone and ring - you get several colors of ring all in one!

So Gorgeous! :love: And I agree. You have many rings in one and one more beautiful than the next! Worth the time and effort to be sure. Wear in health and happiness! :appl:

lorrissey

Brilliant_Rock
Just gorgeous! I love this!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's so nice reading so many kind comments about my ring, considering all the truly magnificent masterpieces owned by you all. Thank you so much! I truly love it.

makeable

Shiny_Rock
The color shift is spectacular and the setting is perfect. It really makes the stone the star of the piece. Well worth the wait IMO. Congrats!

redwood66

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is such a spectacular ring! I love alexandrite and yours is beautiful. :love:

LoversKites

Brilliant_Rock
It's great to see your project finished finally :appl: Enjoy our ring.

How accurate were MC's photos and video of the stone colour-wise vs real life, by the way?

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love, love, love color changing stones and yours rocks! :appl:

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LoversKites|1405189113|3712099 said:
It's great to see your project finished finally :appl: Enjoy our ring.

How accurate were MC's photos and video of the stone colour-wise vs real life, by the way?

Thank you, as am I! LOL

Well, loose, it was almost dead on, but just a smidge darker. Now that it's set, the colors have darkened somewhat, but the cool thing is, the color change is actually more swift & easier to see, and the incandescent color is more purplish than mauve, but it is still gorgeous nonetheless. I would have thought it would be harder to see the color change in a bezel. Also, my lighting is likely far different than David's is when taking those videos. The daylight color though is what I really loved and still love in it. Our home is a bit dark inside and my office is filled with fluorescent overheads. Outdoors it is a vibrant greenish-teal.

It's really a different color stone everywhere I wear it! Like another poster said, it's like having a bunch of rings all wrapped up in one! :D

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good alexandrite a are so gorgeous! Your ring is stunning!

the_mother_thing

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Two more taken outdoors ... I really dislike how these pictures don't show how sparkly the diamonds are surround the Alex and down the sides of the shank because in person, they are beautifully dazzling without being overpowering.

_20158.jpg

_20159.jpg

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
OMG! JoCoJenn, your ring has instantly become a favorite of mine!! I'm partial to pear everything and your ring is absolutely magnificent!!

Wear it in health & Enjoy it!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results