shape
carat
color
clarity

My Accidental Antique Ring

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Ok, so here is the story of my “accidental” antique ring.
My grandmother loved jewelry. The bling-ier the better. My mother totally doesn’t “get it.”
I am positively obsessed and breathe, eat, live and enjoy everything about jewelry and gemstones.
I guess it’s true what they say about things skipping a generation.
I have my grandmothers exact taste in jewelry.
Fast forward to two weeks ago I offer to organize my mothers jewelry (99% of which she never wears). She has it in a lot of tiny pouches and boxes and has no idea what she has and wears almost none of it.
I remember a dress watch my grandmother really loved that my grandfather bought for her (he appreciated jewelry and liked to buy it...the bug doesn’t only affect women!). I also remember my mother disliked it and dismembered it to harvest the stones to make into a necklace it pains me to discuss I dislike it so much.
But to be fair, she wears the necklace everyday.
So she said if you want the watch take it. She also had a charming tiny rose gold very old possibly Victorian moi et toi ring that she said was her great-grandmothers. Sadly, she had put cubic zirconium in it (I know!! The mind reels!!).
I took the lot to my jeweler and off-handedly said if he could put two stones from the watch into the ring that would be great.
I didn’t think it would work because there were not two stones of the same carat weight.
I just went and picked it up and it’s soooo pretty!
Just charming.
The band is slim and elegant and the mismatched size is quirky nice.
I love that I’m able to utilize these lovely stones until such time as I can put them all back into the watch.
I most definitely plan on restoring the watch at some point it’s just so elegant, chic and special.
So please don’t worry, no jewelry was harmed during this procedure.
Oh specs, I almost forgot.
Transitional cut. No idea of color but super eye clean, I examined these stones for awhile under my jewelers super magnification and couldn’t see a thing!
One stone is .65 and the other is .35.
So here is my accidental moi et toi and the dress Rolex who patiently waits in the wings for her rise from the ashes....
571BB14E-EF86-422C-9EF9-246D50E2BB6C.jpeg 31F52149-57C7-4402-8D37-D0A73599D500.jpeg 5D719044-C94C-41D7-B047-4EBBCD8EFF9C.jpeg 7B1C3B99-8CAC-49FD-B836-91CEC921FC7D.jpeg A4ACC187-081E-416D-8CBC-885011CA925A.jpeg

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Your new ring is lovely! What a wonderful idea. It looks perfect on your hand.

Thank you LightBright!
I just figured that diamonds are meant to be enjoyed...

MamaBear

Brilliant_Rock
How wonderful! Those diamonds sure do shine! I love it!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love this !
What a wonderful idea
Im sure your grandma would be happy some of her jewlery is now being worn and loved my you
....anything else you can score than your mum doesn't like ?

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Omg your grandparents have lovely taste. That dress watch is magnificent! Does the watch still work?

Your new ring is so cute and wearable and congrats on that too.

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Omg your grandparents have lovely taste. That dress watch is magnificent! Does the watch still work?

Your new ring is so cute and wearable and congrats on that too.

Yes although it must be wound every 24 hours.
I’m thinking of placing it on a black silk band for now!

Efleon

Brilliant_Rock
Update on the rosy gold setting.
We had dinner at my mothers tonight and I showed her the ring.
She tells me the setting was her great (great) grandmother’s who was born sometime in the mid-1800’s.
Her name was Atta Louella Tischner and she lived in Ohio.
Atta Louella was my mother’s father’s grandmother who raised him after his mother died in childbirth when he was four and his father ran away abandoning him.
She tells me Atta Louella wore it all the time.
She says it used to hold two diamonds that she described as having “black dots” in them (remember, my mother knows nothing of gemstones or diamonds).
I get excited and ask here where they are!
She says they were ugly and she doesn’t know where they went!
Oh noooo!
I tried.
And I will continue to try to hunt them down.....the accidental antique ring saga continues...

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Update on the rosy gold setting.
We had dinner at my mothers tonight and I showed her the ring.
She tells me the setting was her great (great) grandmother’s who was born sometime in the mid-1800’s.
Her name was Atta Louella Tischner and she lived in Ohio.
Atta Louella was my mother’s father’s grandmother who raised him after his mother died in childbirth when he was four and his father ran away abandoning him.
She tells me Atta Louella wore it all the time.
She says it used to hold two diamonds that she described as having “black dots” in them (remember, my mother knows nothing of gemstones or diamonds).
I get excited and ask here where they are!
She says they were ugly and she doesn’t know where they went!
Oh noooo!
I tried.
And I will continue to try to hunt them down.....the accidental antique ring saga continues...

I am gripped by the accidental ring saga! It's a beauty & it looks lovely with it's borrowed diamonds. I hope you will wear it often. I love jewellery with history & a good story!

GliderPoss

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love this story! The ring is gorgeous and a lovely result.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results