shape
carat
color
clarity

my 2 ct rock search

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

This may work. Proportions are within ideal ranges. Problem I have is I've seen too many leaky ASET and IS images on 35/40.8 combos. I've seen great ones too, but it seems to be a weird angle combo that isn't very safe. With no advanced images I'd consider it but keep looking for a more risk free option.

How about this? You can probably source it for a bit less at your local jeweler.
2 cts, J SI2. Need to see if it's eye clean though. You can even get a nicer setting with the price.
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2....1.368&p=0&utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

Web link now shows the stone as sold, and the cert is no longer available so I can't look at the proportions. Point blank, I am NOT a fan of SI2 stones that come from virtual inventory. An eye clean SI2 is a pretty rare unicorn, but they do exist. I'd need lots more data before I could get warm fuzzies to pull the trigger on this one.

94153563-D27B-4DF1-BD14-1239C728DF85.jpeg

Sooo a local jeweler is showing me this rock, It’s a consignment piece so it has no certification.

Eye clean 2. 08
G
SI2
8.13 X 8.10 x 5.20
Has one inclusion I can see under the loop. A feather
Very good cut no florescence
My question here is am I missing some information, are there questions I should be asking? The picture attached probably isn’t the best. Does this seem like a good deal or should I continue my search

A few immediate things pop to mind.
  • Are you okay with a used jewelry, especially for an e-ring? Many people have astigmatism with purchasing used jewelry with such an occasion.
  • Is the price fair & reasonable for the specifics of the used piece? Could you buy a new one for the same, lesser or almost same money? Basically is there any financial incentive to do so.
  • If the price is too cheap, why?
  • Does it have certifications from either GIA or AGS?
  • The majority of SI2's are NOT eye clean so is this your assessment, or theirs? And under what specific conditions are they considering it eye clean? One standard definition is 10" away with 20/20 vision from the top and with good lighting. Those with better vision may prefer more strict criteria.
  • Definitely not feeling warm fuzzies over "very good" cut. Most GIA rated "excellent" stones aren't even excellent. We are looking for "ideal" as cut is what makes the world go round, well that, and fat bottomed girls -- at least according to Queen, eh? :whistle:
The last two items in consideration, this is probably a hard no for me.

there's a story behind this rock.. it's a weird one. I have been told this stone was found by a couple, they reached out to attempt to find owners came up empty handed and subsequently are trying to sell this stone. I have been told one of them has bad health and they could use the money for treatments and surgery. I previously looked at this same diamond a few weeks ago and they (the couple) were asking a little more. they didnt get it so they picked it up. Not sure if they took it elsewhere or what, as they gave a nonsense story about a relative looking for a stone. since it does not belong to the jeweler I'm guessing that is why there is no cert. I am not sure if the couple has money to pay for a cert since i am sure they would foot the bill? does this all sounds awfully crazy?!?!

Ugh, too much headache and risk. Nope. Nada. No way in hell. RUN!!!

Too many good diamonds exist. Let us help find you one. I will take a peek and throw back some more viable options.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Found a couple worth considering.

WF ACA 1.935 J VS2 @ $14,167 wire
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4123881.htm

57.8 table, 61.4 depth, 34.9 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 76 LGF. Measures 7.98 x 7.99, and has a 1.4 HCA although the ASET, IS and H&A images override the HCA.

After trash talking the 35/40.8 combo in my previous post, here is one that works. It has a larger table which helps you squeeze a little more size out of it for the weight. Also, this is a true H&A stone from an excellent company with hassle free upgrade/trade-in program (simply spend $1 more and get full value of the original stone, no other strings) and superb customer service.

GIA XXX 2.05 J VS2 @ $13,194
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-2.05-carat-j-vs2-yd7368790

57 table, 61.2 depth, 35 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 75 LGF. Measures 8.13 x 8.18 and scores 0.9 HCA.

Not a perfect ASET, but very good nonetheless. This stone looks to be a solid performer.

Absolutely love those fat arrows! GIA rounds their LGF's to the nearest 5 degrees, so while a 75 is reported the actuals could range from 73-77. Given how fat they are, they are on the lower side, maybe 74ish. I like that as lower LGF's provide bigger bolder flashes of rainbow light.

Also, the steeper 35 crown will help make good fire while paired with a very complimentary shallow 40.6 pavilion.

It would be nice to see a video of this stone. And also to understand how both the surface graining and internal graining reported on the notes section of the cert affect clarity of the stone, if at all.

GIA XXX 2.12 J SI1 @ $13,677
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2....3.677&p=0&utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

57 table, 61.3 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 80 LGF. Measures 8.26 x 8.29 and scores 1.2 HCA.

Biggest downside here is no actual images or videos. The proportions are quite lovely, and the HCA score reflects that. Also, it's the largest stone both dimensionally and in carat weight. On the downside, it's the lowest clarity.

Also, I noticed the stone was originally graded back in 2012 which tells me it was likely a trade-in. If I purchased I would ask the vendor to have the stone re-certified (on their dime) to ensure there is no additional chips, damage, etc and that all is still the same as in 2012. You wouldn't think much would change, but there are cases of color or clarity changing when doing a re-cert (mainly because both are done by humans so there is some subjectivity, and if a stone is borderline then it may get graded slightly different a second time).

I would ask for still images, video, ASET, IS and H&A images as well. You probably won't get them all but it will give you some additional data to go upon.

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
I would be highly suspicious as to why the jeweler didn't send the diamond off to AGS or GIA for certification (the cost is only a couple hundred dollars) and sell it at a much higher price. So my guess is those specs are a generous estimate by the jeweler, the diamond is treated, lab created, etc. Ask him to send it off to AGS or GIA for certification and if it meets or exceeds those specs and hasn't been treated, isn't lab created, etc. you might be interested (once you review the specs). You could even offer to pay the cost of the certification if you decide to buy. Seems like a win-win. GL

@iNeedArock
Please heed the warnings you are getting here. Without a lab report, you literally do not know what you are getting. Lab grown, treated, enhanced, horrible inclusions. You just don’t know. And zero refund policy?

whitewave

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I found a diamond ring once. The diamonds were crushed in the inside. It looked pretty until you louped it. They think it was in the river and when river sand was used for landscaping, the crushed ring was deposited with the sand.

iNeedArock

Rough_Rock
Found a couple worth considering.

WF ACA 1.935 J VS2 @ $14,167 wire
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4123881.htm

57.8 table, 61.4 depth, 34.9 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 76 LGF. Measures 7.98 x 7.99, and has a 1.4 HCA although the ASET, IS and H&A images override the HCA.

After trash talking the 35/40.8 combo in my previous post, here is one that works. It has a larger table which helps you squeeze a little more size out of it for the weight. Also, this is a true H&A stone from an excellent company with hassle free upgrade/trade-in program (simply spend $1 more and get full value of the original stone, no other strings) and superb customer service.

GIA XXX 2.05 J VS2 @ $13,194
https://www.yadavjewelry.com/diamond/round-diamond-2.05-carat-j-vs2-yd7368790

57 table, 61.2 depth, 35 crown, 40.6 pavilion & 75 LGF. Measures 8.13 x 8.18 and scores 0.9 HCA.

Not a perfect ASET, but very good nonetheless. This stone looks to be a solid performer.

Absolutely love those fat arrows! GIA rounds their LGF's to the nearest 5 degrees, so while a 75 is reported the actuals could range from 73-77. Given how fat they are, they are on the lower side, maybe 74ish. I like that as lower LGF's provide bigger bolder flashes of rainbow light.

Also, the steeper 35 crown will help make good fire while paired with a very complimentary shallow 40.6 pavilion.

It would be nice to see a video of this stone. And also to understand how both the surface graining and internal graining reported on the notes section of the cert affect clarity of the stone, if at all.

GIA XXX 2.12 J SI1 @ $13,677
https://www.adiamor.com/Diamonds/2....3.677&p=0&utm_source=rarecarat&utm_medium=cpc

57 table, 61.3 depth, 34.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion & 80 LGF. Measures 8.26 x 8.29 and scores 1.2 HCA.

Biggest downside here is no actual images or videos. The proportions are quite lovely, and the HCA score reflects that. Also, it's the largest stone both dimensionally and in carat weight. On the downside, it's the lowest clarity.

Also, I noticed the stone was originally graded back in 2012 which tells me it was likely a trade-in. If I purchased I would ask the vendor to have the stone re-certified (on their dime) to ensure there is no additional chips, damage, etc and that all is still the same as in 2012. You wouldn't think much would change, but there are cases of color or clarity changing when doing a re-cert (mainly because both are done by humans so there is some subjectivity, and if a stone is borderline then it may get graded slightly different a second time).

I would ask for still images, video, ASET, IS and H&A images as well. You probably won't get them all but it will give you some additional data to go upon.
Wow, thank you so much for taking time to look for these stones for me. Would a J color diamond look yellow in a white gold setting? Im not sure how much going a grade or two up in color might cost me. That Hearts and Arrow one is just beautiful!! I dont know how to search these these stones like you guys do, sorry!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, thank you so much for taking time to look for these stones for me. Would a J color diamond look yellow in a white gold setting? Im not sure how much going a grade or two up in color might cost me. That Hearts and Arrow one is just beautiful!! I dont know how to search these these stones like you guys do, sorry!
You can search on Whiteflash in their a cut above (ACA) line. They will all be outstanding. You can ask them for pics or video of a J vs I and see what you think.

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium

No problem, glad you found them useful.

On the color thing, only you can answer that as it depends on your sensitivity AND tolerance for color. Both my wife and I are fairly sensitive to color, but she is more so than me. Not a surprise there as most women are more color sensitive than men. However, while she can see tint/color more easily than me, she isn't as bothered by it as I am.

I bought her an H and most the time I find it very white. In certain conditions I see a little tint. She easily sees the tint, but isn't bothered by it.

The only way to gauge your own sensitive and tolerance is to go looking at diamonds. When comparing colors, try to find the same size, cut quality/angles, etc so you get as much of an apples-to-apples comparison as possible except the color grade. Then look at them under a variety of lighting (indoors, outdoors, office lighting, jewelry store lighting, etc). Find what speaks to you, and at what point all the diamonds look the same. If you have 4 stones in front of you that are J, H, F & D and can't tell them apart color wise, then why pay for anything whiter than a J when you can't see the difference?

Generally speaking G & H seem to be a good compromise and while they do cost a little more you aren't getting too stiff of price premiums. Plenty of folks are buying I's and J's and perfectly happy with them. Again, it depends on you. Learning your sensitivity and tolerance is a must IMO so you can shop more wisely. After all, getting a killer deal on a J is fruitless if the color drives you nuts.

Whatever you decide, we can help. Just keep in mind, if your budget is static then you have to sacrifice somewhere to make the budget work. That may mean dipping below 2 carats. Is that okay?

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Leaving work, so did a quick search on WF. Will look at some GIA XXX later.

WF ACA 1.81 I SI1 @ $13,338
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3969523.htm

Notice it says "inquire" under the eye clean section. Looking at the video, it's quite a sparkle bomb but it may have some nastiness on the table that is getting that inquire status so it may not be eye clean.

WF ACA 1.852 I SI @ $14,974
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4042807.htm

Eye clean and gorgeous.

WF ACA 1.826 I VS2 @ $15,032
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-3925304.htm

Like the bump in clarity for not much money. Slight reduction in weight and dimensions, but only about 0.10mm (about 1/512th of an inch) which isn't of any significant value. In a side by side comparisons, most humans can start to see a very minor size variance at 0.20mm (1/256th inch) but nothing memorable or noticeable if not side by side.

WF ACA 1.757 H SI1 @ $16,392
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4049783.htm

WF ACA 1.753 H SI1 @ $16,490
https://www.whiteflash.com/loose-diamonds/round-cut-loose-diamond-4091542.htm

iNeedArock

Rough_Rock
So I’m still shopping for a diamond.. my bf happened to stop at Robbins Brothers and found a diamond he thinks he likes. Thoughts? Price was 13k

Attachments

• CC4778FD-C165-481C-8DCF-B03DCF9DF82F.png
    CC4778FD-C165-481C-8DCF-B03DCF9DF82F.png
    951.3 KB · Views: 52

iNeedArock

Rough_Rock
I also realized Whiteflash is In Sugarland, he is working close to that area and I’m hoping he will have time to pay them a visit, does anyone know if there is a particular person to reach out to there? He is ready to make the purchase.. I am just waiting to dedicate more time to the search for “the right one (diamond)”

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Last edited:

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I’m still shopping for a diamond.. my bf happened to stop at Robbins Brothers and found a diamond he thinks he likes. Thoughts? Price was 13k

Please, pleaee, please do NOT buy this stone!!!

This stone has a 59 table, 63.9 depth, 37.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion and 80 LGF. To add insult to injury, it has a slightly thick to thick girdle (5%).

This stone was cut with one goal only -- to achieve maximum weight. I personally think it's a crime a stone is allowed to be cut this way and the sales rep at RB deserves a beating for suggesting this to him.

In reality this is a good to fair cut. You want to be at ideal. This is so far from that.

At this point I'm strictly talking cut quality. Factor in it's a SI2 on a 2ct stone and I'm sure we will have more issues, especially considering the total disrespect show to cut proportions. It's very hard to find good eye clean SI2 stones. So depending what the inclusions are specifically (this was cut off in the pic) you likely have visible inclusions and potentially items that further degrade light performance.

Literally, looking at this stone next to a WF stone will be a night and day difference.

Again, I beg you. Please pass on this stone. If we need to reassess budget, size, etc that can be done.

Sorry to be so blunt but I don't want you getting snookered out of $13k.

Screenshot_20191022-000536_Sheets.jpg

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also realized Whiteflash is In Sugarland, he is working close to that area and I’m hoping he will have time to pay them a visit, does anyone know if there is a particular person to reach out to there? He is ready to make the purchase.. I am just waiting to dedicate more time to the search for “the right one (diamond)”

@Texas Leaguer is their VP. His name is Bryan. I'm sure any of his sales staff can help. I would try to setup an appointment with them if possible.

iNeedArock

Rough_Rock
Please, pleaee, please do NOT buy this stone!!!

This stone has a 59 table, 63.9 depth, 37.5 crown, 40.8 pavilion and 80 LGF. To add insult to injury, it has a slightly thick to thick girdle (5%).

This stone was cut with one goal only -- to achieve maximum weight. I personally think it's a crime a stone is allowed to be cut this way and the sales rep at RB deserves a beating for suggesting this to him.

In reality this is a good to fair cut. You want to be at ideal. This is so far from that.

At this point I'm strictly talking cut quality. Factor in it's a SI2 on a 2ct stone and I'm sure we will have more issues, especially considering the total disrespect show to cut proportions. It's very hard to find good eye clean SI2 stones. So depending what the inclusions are specifically (this was cut off in the pic) you likely have visible inclusions and potentially items that further degrade light performance.

Literally, looking at this stone next to a WF stone will be a night and day difference.

Again, I beg you. Please pass on this stone. If we need to reassess budget, size, etc that can be done.

Sorry to be so blunt but I don't want you getting snookered out of $13k.

Screenshot_20191022-000536_Sheets.jpg
Noooooo I am not the least bit offended!! I am wanting to make a good choice, I wasn't there but it just sounded like the sales people were way too pushy. I will let him know the feedback I have gotten and tell him to wait to visit Whiteflash. I am just hoping they have something in our budget, lol

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Noooooo I am not the least bit offended!! I am wanting to make a good choice, I wasn't there but it just sounded like the sales people were way too pushy. I will let him know the feedback I have gotten and tell him to wait to visit Whiteflash. I am just hoping they have something in our budget, lol
If they don't have anything immediately available, they are getting new stones all the time so you may be able to ask if they can check what is coming down the pipeline :)

sledge

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Earlier I mentioned a 1.935 J VS2 stone from WF. When I just checked again I see that stone is still available.

This may be a good fit for a few reasons. If you do the wire option, you grab a small discount knocking the price to $14k.

The stone is sitting right at a weight that many value shoppers really like. Visually the stone will size up like a 2 carat rock, but technically it's 1.935 so you avoid paying what we call a "magic weight" price premium by staying just a smidge below the 2ct mark.

In fact look at the dimensions of the RB stone. We know it's poorly cut and very deep and as a result look at how it measures at 7.86 x 7.92mm. The WF 1.935 is ideally cut and measures out at 7.98 x 7.99mm. The WF weighs less but is actually a little larger!

Also, we know the cut quality will be vastly superior to the RB stone. But, the WF stone is 2 clarity grades better at VS2 and eye clean. More importantly, WF vets all their ACA stones to ensure not only if a stone is eye clean or not, but rather those inclusions do NOT degrade light performance. This is important because it's possible to find a stone that is eye clean but the location, size and/or type of inclusions could effect light performance. Also, as you increase diamond size, it's generally a good idea to go higher in clarity as a qualifying inclusions in smaller sized stones are easier to identify in larger stones. Obviously exceptions exist but IMO getting VS2+ in a 2ct stone is a win!

The WF stone also comes with a killer upgrade program. Simply spend the same or $1 more and you can upgrade your stone as you see fit. So today you get a 1.935 J but maybe a year down the road you save a few bucks and see a 2+ H stone then you can upgrade as your life and financial situation grows.

Not to mention intangibles like top notch customer service, a vendor that shares our passion for quality cut stones, AGS certification and all advanced imagery and videos to make a decision based on empirical evidence. But most importantly, the warm fuzzies you get from their transparency and all this "small" stuff.

While the WF stone is about a $1k more expensive than the RB stone, you clearly get a much better value for your dollar. I'd take the WF stone all day long over the RB stone.

Screenshot_20191022-065630_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

iNeedArock

Rough_Rock

amoline

Shiny_Rock
That is certainly a very nice stone, and you definitely couldn't go wrong with it.

Best bang for your buck will depend on what of the different diamond aspects you're trying to maximize. But that stone does get you to the 2 carat mark and looks like it's a very nice SI1, so it depends on if you're OK with the I color.

Izzy70

Shiny_Rock
I don’t have any advice in which diamond to choose but I can say my Whiteflash 1.057ct I VS2 pendant is the best stone I have seen locally and it is always catching people’s eyes.
I am going to treat myself to another one next year for my birthday!

MK Malone

Shiny_Rock
so this one is a little more than we the budget I initially mentioned, thoughts? Would this be best bang for the buck?

I think you’ll be extremely happy with this beauty!! I have an I colored stone and can see very little color most of the time. And this stone has a better cut than my stone so that will help too. Gorgeous!!

Starfacet

Ideal_Rock
Premium
so this one is a little more than we the budget I initially mentioned, thoughts? Would this be best bang for the buck?

If you think you might want this one, put it on hold ASAP.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results