shape
carat
color
clarity

must decide today 3.5M OEC with heaps of photos

LibbyLA

Brilliant_Rock
hippi_pixi,

You saw the diamond with your own eyes. Photos, especially cell phone photos, don't do diamonds justice. I know from experience that I can be looking at a beautiful, sparkly diamond, but the photo I take makes the diamond look tinted and dead. I bet if the diamond were set and glamour shots were taken by someone who has a setup to do that, most people (if not everyone) would be oohing and aahing over that diamond.

In the end, you are the one wearing the diamond so your opinion is the only one that counts.

Can't wait to see photos of the diamond in that setting!

liz

madelise

Ideal_Rock
Premium
hippi_pixi|1361837261|3390348 said:
wow who knew one stone could be so divisive. i had pretty much decided on the stone and wanted to post macro shots on here for confirmation. so i went back in to see it and i was taking macro shots on my iphone with an cheap olloclip macro lens. maybe that was a big mistake. I had to take a break from this cos i found the first few comments shockingly harsh.

the stone faces up a lovely white and has an even spread of light return so i still think its the one. the facet patterning is not what i was originally looking for but i think that could be just nitpicking

We have our engagement party in 6 weeks and we already have 2 weddings booked for this year in India and in Australia. So i think i will go ahead with this. if for some reason the facet patterning bothers me ill have to revisit this again in a few years.

The stone is actually 3.50 M VVS2 with GIA cert at 28K do you think this is a reasonable price? Its from Adam at OWD I'm not aware that he has an upgrade policy but he has said if i do get back to Australia and decide its not the one i can return it

Love, there's your issue :) the OLLOCLIP! It's fabulous for catching very detailed photos, but you have to take pictures SOOO CLOSE to the diamond to get it to focus! The diamond's just reflecting the black of the Olloclip! If you loved it, and you loved everything about it, and the only thing you're nervous about is people's comments… follow your heart. You loved it.

Like a few people have said, leakage is normal in old cuts. As long as there are no "dead" areas, and the brightness runs edge to edge, it's already a rare find. If you love the pattern, and there's no distortion like fish eye, or a huge dead area like nail head.. it's good!

The price is pretty decent considering it's retail. If you had more time, sure, you can invest the time in fishing through secondary sales on eBay and such… but since you don't, and you need reliability, go for a vendor retail sale. It seems on par to what I paid for my M VVS given the fact that it's .25 ct lighter, and thus reflected a lesser price.

He does have a return policy within a certain time frame, so get all that down in writing. And confirm his upgrade policy.. you never know if you want to change stones in the future. :sun: Bigger? Whiter? Brighter? Shape? ;)) This is Pricescope, after all. Hehehe.

And if you ever ever ever want to change anything about it and return/exchange… I WANT THAT SETTING! It's too beautiful. You haven't bought it yet and I'm already laying dibs :bigsmile:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your new ring hippi! The video clips show that it is beautiful. I am very excited for you and wish you all the best on your upcoming engagement party and wedding.

backwardsandinheels

Brilliant_Rock
Good for you! It's lovely. No one in your circle will say anything but "It's beautiful!" Now go take a bath or get a massage at
the Trump Soho :appl:

justginger

Ideal_Rock
I think you have definitely made the right decision for you. For someone else, the stone may not make them light up with joy - but it is obvious that for you, it does. :appl: Old cuts are very personal, not so easy to judge by a few scope shots and the cert angles. It's normal to get people who LOVE a stone, right next to people who would pass. You can't please everyone, just please yourself! :bigsmile:

If it's any more reassurance, you'll find it easy to pass on to an antique jeweler here in Australia if you decide down the track it's not for you - and you'll probably stand to make some money on it as well. Diamond pricing, especially among antique stones, is so outrageous that secondhand prices here are often on par with US retail pricing.

ariel144

Ideal_Rock
Since you have looked at tons of stones over the past week or so and when you first saw it you loved it then I do believe it is the one. It looks beautiful and I wouldn't over think it. Glad you will be taking it home with you. Congrats!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
I didn't copy paste but your line where you said you love the stone, that's all that matters really. Old cuts need to be seen IMO, pics can only tell so much of the story!

I bought my stone from Adam and this patterning kind of reminds me of my stone. Honestly, I don't think I've seen a stone in person with a really pleasing symmetrical pattern that performs badly in person!

Adam has an upgrade policy and they are so easy to work with, I think you are in GREAT hands. Did he give his opinion on the stone? Because I'd also really value his opinion almost over any of ours, especially since we are online and he is in person.

I can't wait to see the stone in that setting.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't think you will regret your choice. Follow your heart! Enjoy your fabulous new ring!!!

susimoo

Brilliant_Rock
I think it is a beauty. :love:

I am also a very happy customer of OWD. Adam is just wonderful to deal with, patient and knows his diamonds very well. Plus I think, from my own experience and those that others have posted about, he is very good at matching a diamond to its owner. :bigsmile:

I know that's what he did for me. I also intend to upgrade my stone in size in the near future. Adam does have an upgrade policy, so you should talk to him about it, (as my purchase was minuscule compared to yours).

Good luck with everything. I think you have made a wonderful choice. :wavey:

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, it seems to me that many of the old cut owners and wearers liked it and thought it had potential. And you love it. So there you go!

ETA: And for future and for lurkers, if you have a diamond you LOVE and want to post for confirmation, then say that in your opening post :)) Otherwise, you get the whole gamut of opinions and you can't ever please everyone with an old cut!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So happy that you found THE ONE for you! :love: :appl: :appl: :appl: It was great that you came to look at diamonds in person, because it is obvious that pictures do not tell the whole story!

D

Deactivated member 42515

I'm so glad you're going for it! I've just been keeping up with your thread, wondering what you will do. I'm glad that you found a stone you love! Of course I am biased because I really respect Adam's eye for stones so I know he found you an amazing ring! Lucky girl!! And a honker!!!

gregchang35

Ideal_Rock
Great on making the decision!!! And it will be ready for your flight home!

I know that some of us here in Perth would like to have a get together so that we can meet up with this beauty of yours.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your decision hippi!

I'm finally able to see the videos now. Others are right - *you're* the only one who has actually seen the stone, and ultimately your opinion is the only one that counts! I think you made an educated decision: you're buying from a reputable vendor, you spent some quality time with the stone in-person, and you've decided that it's the right stone for you - you can't really go wrong with an educated decision ::)

I'm sorry that my post was the first to make you doubt yourself. It really doesn't matter what I'd have done, you're the one who needs to love the stone and it sounds like you do!

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
AprilBaby said:
Follow your heart!

I agree, which is why I asked originally how you felt about the stone.

I'll admit that I didn't like the pictures, but the videos were very appealing.

I recently purchased an old stone, and don't even have it yet. Some PS'ers made comments too that I would consider "harsh" but in the end, I can't help but feel I made the right decision and I'm 100% happy.

I have a feeling you were thrilled with the stone and didn't have any doubts until your started reading comments here. Again this is why I asked "what changed". In the end, you're the one wearing the stone and making the purchase - plus you were lucky enough to see it in person. You have nothing to lose as it sounds like Adam has been very accommodating, especially if you decide you don't love it.

Now get that baby on your finger and enjoy the rest of your trip! Smile and gaze upon it the whole way home - I'm sure that will make your long flight go by much faster. ;))

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
:appl: I'm happy that you're happy!! :appl:

You saw it, you loved it --- and that's what counts the most!! Your eyes are your best assessment tools, ultimately, because you will be wearing this beauty for years -- and that setting is TDF!! Congratulations on finding your stone during your trip!

ericad

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Congrats on finding a beautiful diamond, hippi! I personally adore the facet pattern, and being a GIA certed stone, any color coming through in the still pics is most likely caused by the lighting and macro photography conditions - they can be tricky buggers to photograph accurately, even under the best of conditions.

I'm only hopping on because I want to say that every antique diamond is unique and will have its own distinct personality (as many here have said). The right stone will speak to you, and when it does you'll know it (and sounds like this has happened for you, which is wonderful!) Every antique diamond will appeal to some and not to others - it's really very difficult to evaluate antique diamonds online or seek a consensus for this reason. I truly feel as though the diamond chooses us, and not the other way around. And that process can be magical and should be enjoyed.

Grace and I can look at a tray of old cuts, after spending years together evaluating and selecting stones for the store, and still not agree on which stones are the prettiest. And I've seen many stones come through our store that aren't in line with the prevailing taste on PS, yet they're still gorgeous and eventually make their way to people who adore them.

You've seen the diamond and loved it in person, and in my book that counts for a lot. Plus that vintage setting is divine!

Enjoy this exciting time - and congrats on finding a killer diamond on your amazing trip. Looking forward to seeing more pics of your finished ring once you get back home. Have a safe trip!

Sparklelu

Brilliant_Rock
Glad your trip was a success. I saw this post this morning but was at work and couldn't respond. I really like the stone! It's huge and has a very nice pattern to me. I'd take it in a Heartbeat!!!
You must be so happy to have found it. Can't wait to see her in her spruced up new/old home!!
Safe travels home

two_little_birds

Brilliant_Rock
I assume you made it home safe and sound?

How about some completed photos and hand shots? Please come back and post some!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results