shape
carat
color
clarity

Mozambique Amazonite

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't open up the first link, DD, but your second link calls it quartz crystal in the title, fwiw...

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I didn't open up the first link, DD, but your second link calls it quartz crystal in the title, fwiw...
I noticed that too but then they call it Amazonite...

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It needs to go to a lab for the final say. The specific gravity was around 2.7 and quartz is a bit lower. The index of refraction is between 1.52-1.53 for Amazonite, which the beads fit. ( according to my memory. I'm away from my notes and equipment.)

I'm happy to take my own risks but as always, buyer beware. Im cannot be 100 percent certain without knowing more. Who knows, There may be imitation Mozambique Amazonite made with dyed quartz on the market along with real stuff.

Last edited:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I too wish we had an inexpensive lab in the US for this type of thing.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The main things that are most convincing about them is that specific sheen which I've only seen in feldspars, and the distribution of color. I see the sheen in only some beads, and it's slight as in other Amazonite types. I'd be truly surprised if they are something else.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
And, come to think of it, I'm sure that there will be imitations on the market. It's hard to believe that there is imitation mother of pearl, but there is. For every type of real gem bead, there are imitations. If it means saving a few pennies in the bead trade, without a doubt, I'm sure that people will do it with a less expensive alternative.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The descriptions on ebay can go all over the place and that one had both Quartz and Amazonite in it but the picture looked similar to what was posted earlier---that was my point.

Bluegemz.......to me the smaller light blue beads look more like amazonite that I've seen--unless talking about the green variety from Russia. Would you agree--just from a color perspective? What an adventure.......and sorry to interrupt your vacation!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The descriptions on ebay can go all over the place and that one had both Quartz and Amazonite in it but the picture looked similar to what was posted earlier---that was my point.

Bluegemz.......to me the smaller light blue beads look more like amazonite that I've seen--unless talking about the green variety from Russia. Would you agree--just from a color perspective? What an adventure.......and sorry to interrupt your vacation!
I completely agree with how crazy the descriptions are! For this reason, I specifically asked the seller about the authenticity of them. They replied that they promise that they are 100 percent, untreated Amazonite. Of course, they could be lying, but it made me a tad more willing to trust.
With some descriptions, I always question translation. It may be somewhat like how Chinese call other stones 'jade' even though they are not.

Please, you are not interrupting my vacation! This is my favorite hobby!:) And it's fun for me to discuss these things! The smaller ones look most like the Peruvian variety to me. It is an adventure since there seems to be quite a range in colors. I've never seen such a baby blue with that translucence!

Ok, now I've decided, when I get home in mid August, I'll send them to the GIA along with some other things. Then we'll finally get an absolute answer ! I just don't want others to buy things based solely on my estimation until I'm absolutely sure. I can't do much else with the equipment I have, and so it's off to the lab. I'll get results in around a month after I send it I believe. Too bad I didn't bring them along, or I'd just send them tomorrow.

Last edited:

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I ordered some of the baby blue one's to see what they are like in person. Unicorns DO come out of the most unlikely places......I have a sterling silver Aquaprase ring that was sold as Prehnite. I liked the ring and had no idea what I bought until later verified --because it drives me nuts to not know for sure..........Here's to Unicorns!! And VACATIONS!!!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I ordered some of the baby blue one's to see what they are like in person. Unicorns DO come out of the most unlikely places......I have a sterling silver Aquaprase ring that was sold as Prehnite. I liked the ring and had no idea what I bought until later verified --because it drives me nuts to not know for sure..........Here's to Unicorns!! And VACATIONS!!!

Those are beautiful! Unicorns happen! I always have hope, though I have been wrong before.
Hear hear!! Keep us posted on how they are in person?

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Ok, now I've decided, when I get home in mid August, I'll send them to the GIA along with some other things. Then we'll finally get an absolute answer ! I just don't want others to buy things based solely on my estimation until I'm absolutely sure. I can't do much else with the equipment I have, and so it's off to the lab. I'll get results in around a month after I send it I believe. Too bad I didn't bring them along, or I'd just send them tomorrow.

Please let us know how it turns out. If they are not real, we can still get a refund through Ebay because of issues with authenticity. I am keeping my fingers crossed though.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Please let us know how it turns out. If they are not real, we can still get a refund through Ebay because of issues with authenticity. I am keeping my fingers crossed though.
I'll definitely keep you posted. I'll be sending these in to check for all of us so that there is certainty. It's great to know about the refund too. The worst would be that I'm wrong, and I'll have to figure out how I mismeasured.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'll definitely keep you posted. I'll be sending these in to check for all of us so that there is certainty. It's great to know about the refund too. The worst would be that I'm wrong, and I'll have to figure out how I mismeasured.

One of the dealer's told me that in China, some amazonite are filled with glass and that they are abundant. I have yet to see a bracelet same as what I have in multiple Asian markets....

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
One of the dealer's told me that in China, some amazonite are filled with glass and that they are abundant. I have yet to see a bracelet same as what I have in multiple Asian markets....
That's interesting. I can believe that those are available. What makes me doubt that the ones purchased from this seller are glass filled is that the polish is not glassy enough for glass filled. Also the price.

I've been seeing glass filled stars a lot on eBay, and they have a super shiny, melted glass finish all around and these beads don't have that texture or look. Under a loupe, I have seen some of the edges of the natural clevage plains of the feldspar at the surface, which I imagine would be obscured if glass filled.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's very reassuring that you haven't seen ones like yours abundantly available.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
That's interesting. I can believe that those are available. What makes me doubt that the ones purchased from this seller are glass filled is that the polish is not glassy enough for glass filled. Also the price.

I've been seeing glass filled stars a lot on eBay, and they have a super shiny, melted glass finish all around and these beads don't have that texture or look. Under a loupe, I have seen some of the edges of the natural clevage plains of the feldspar at the surface, which I imagine would be obscured if glass filled.

Yes! The beads I have doesn't have a glassy look and a glassy polish.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Those are beautiful! Unicorns happen! I always have hope, though I have been wrong before.
Hear hear!! Keep us posted on how they are in person?

I'm following this thread with interest and will share what the 'babies' look like first hand, although I don't have the equipment to do more than loupe them. Also a helpful insight on the glass filling of 'regular' amazonite........it's always something it seems.

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
I just looked at the fees for colored stones services at GIA. They offer an Identification Report for stringed beads, with a 3-bead minimum. Each bead costs $50, so I think the minimum charge would be $150 for 3 stringed beads.

GIA also offers the Colored Stone Identification Report for loose stones (including beads). For the ammonite, I think it would be $70 for the first stone, and $15 for each additional stone if it's on the same report. So, to do 2 loose beads, I think it would cost $85. Heck, I could submit a bunch of loose stones and end up only paying $15 for each additional loose stone after I paid for the first one (as long as they are on the same report)!

I am probably telling you ladies something you already know. I always went to AGL for the GemBrief ($65 per report). Now I think I may go to GIA.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just looked at the fees for colored stones services at GIA. They offer an Identification Report for stringed beads, with a 3-bead minimum. Each bead costs $50, so I think the minimum charge would be $150 for 3 stringed beads.

GIA also offers the Colored Stone Identification Report for loose stones (including beads). For the ammonite, I think it would be $70 for the first stone, and $15 for each additional stone if it's on the same report. So, to do 2 loose beads, I think it would cost $85. Heck, I could submit a bunch of loose stones and end up only paying $15 for each additional loose stone after I paid for the first one (as long as they are on the same report)!

I am probably telling you ladies something you already know. I always went to AGL for the GemBrief ($65 per report). Now I think I may go to GIA.
I didn't know that! It's great info , thanks! I think I'll cut the bracelet and send them in as stones to save$. It's easy peasy to restring them.

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
2017-08-02 001 2017-08-02 002.jpg

I received the purported 'baby blue' amazonite beads. I decided to use a Bic as a color reference (thanks Blue Spinel thread!!)...... the photo on Ebay was quite different from real life. I thought these were going to be a light Bic Blue color but instead they appear to be blue/aqua similar to the color of the larger beads in this thread. I louped for anything that would help figure them out.....there was one hole that appeared to be darker, as in dyed........but translucent stones can do weird things with light. And I only saw that on one stone and only on one side of it. The string did however have an area that was colored the same as the stones....aqua bluish. I saw some inclusions on one bead which appeared to be "mini mosses".......which I have seen in chalcedony/aquaprase. The color is nice and given they are pretty small (4 mm) I could not see anything that stood out......................Also, my input on these is specific to these beads and not relevant to the larger beads in this thread. They will compliment my amazonite beads for a little project............

Attachments

• 2017-08-02 001 2017-08-02 002.jpg
    2017-08-02 001 2017-08-02 002.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 17

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Update: I've returned from my trip and will be sending the Amazonite out to b tested this coming weekend.

Can't wait for the results!

digdeep

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Me three!

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see from your tests how you are distinguishing from quartz. But I am not an expert.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don't see from your tests how you are distinguishing from quartz. But I am not an expert.
I'm not sure that I have.... I do not consider myself an expert either, especially not with this stuff, which is why I opened the thread, to ask about it.
The tests that I did were standard, at home tests with some basic equipment . The results matched up with ranges for Amazonite. An issue with any gemstone is that some of these measurements do overlap with other gems. This is why I feel it's important to take the next step to pay to have it tested.
At a plain intuitive level, I can tell you that I own plenty of quartz and this just doesn't feel like quartz . Also, I don't know of any quartz that has a Schiller like some feldspars, i.e. Moonstone, labradorite, Amazonite, etc. have. I'm not convinced of anything so the definitive answer will have to come from the experts.

Rough_Rock
I believe this is "Tianhe stone" which can be made of either Fluorite or synthetic material, it's not Amazonite.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I soaked a bead in acetone for 5 minutes and the surface becomes abraded under the loupe and the drill holes became chalky. So there is definitely a filler.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I soaked a bead in acetone for 5 minutes and the surface becomes abraded under the loupe and the drill holes became chalky. So there is definitely a filler.

Aha! Great info. Thanks, Seaglow.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ya, that's not good....now I'm super curious about what the GIA report will say.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results