shape
carat
color
clarity

Mozambique Amazonite

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Recently I've seen some simply amazing Amazonite coming from Mozambique. Some of It truly looks like it could be paraiba like. Immediately, I imagine that possibly it could be used as adjunct pieces to 'go with' expensive paraiba jewelry. Some of it is icy clear, as opposed to the Peruvian and Russian varieties. I find it hard to believe that it's natural, but it's claimed that it is and I don't think there are treatments for Amazonite. I'm curious if anyone had purchased any of this material, if it truly looks this way in life, if any treatments are known, and what causes this electric blue. Is it also copper as in tourmaline? As a lover of feldspars, this has piqued my interest lately.

IMG_2650.PNG

IMG_2651.jpg

IMG_2652.jpg

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those are stunning!

chatoyancy

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I love the top pic!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think so too. I can imagine a multi strand, tiny beaded necklace with diamond and white metal spacers, and a gorgeous paraiba focal point, or even an Art Deco style with onyx or black jade and diamonds.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, I've never seen amazonite that clear and vibrant before. I have amazonite beads, but they look nothing like that.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Interesting. I have a piece of amazonite rock, it is in my office, I can take a picture tomorrow, but it looks like this one.
http://images.google.com/imgres?img...tAwyjHHMoyYcm4=&hl=en-US&docid=kUeaBpnU8mph_M

Opaque. And with a pattern. I wonder if there still is some treatment, given how translucent and clean the beads are.
Ivebbeen told that the variety you have is from Russia. It's noted for its green and white, grainy pattern. I've got beads like that too. So different from this stuff. The Mozambique beads I showed range in price, but are generally much more expensive than other Amazonite. Frex, the last picture is around $500. The first I believe is around $100 for one bracelet of beads. So maybe it's just really great, clear stuff.

Last edited:

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is a typical look of Peruvian Amazonite. Beautiful color but always opaque...

IMG_2716.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here is an American Amazonite crystal specimen from Colorado. And some Typical Russian Amazonite patterned beads...

IMG_2718.jpg

IMG_2719.jpg

MJ_Mac

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
This looks more like apatite beads I've seen. I bought some pieces of jewellery from a well known Canadian designer of fashion jewellery (sterling, cystal, gemstones) and she had apatite that looked identical to this. The reading I've done on apatite says the same thing, it's colour can mimic that of Paraiba tourmaline. Regardless if it's apatite or amazonite, it is very beautiful and the perfect colour for spring and summer :).

img_2651-jpg.495293

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Apatite comes in different colors and can be amazing.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will bite the bullet and buy some. When it arrives, I'll test it with specific gravity, UV, gem microscope for signs of dye...I'll see what I can find. The specific gravity should tell us what they are, apatite, Amazonite or something else.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I will bite the bullet and buy some. When it arrives, I'll test it with specific gravity, UV, gem microscope for signs of dye...I'll see what I can find. The specific gravity should tell us what they are, apatite, Amazonite or something else.

Bluegemz,

Any news on the amazonite? I've seen those colors from bead shops but it's always sold as agate or chalcedony.

The best amazonite beads I can get is this....grainy, but some have areas of transparency, and it's color a matrix of white and shades of fantastic green blues. :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bluegemz,

Any news on the amazonite? I've seen those colors from bead shops but it's always sold as agate or chalcedony.

The best amazonite beads I can get is this....grainy, but some have areas of transparency, and it's color a matrix of white and shades of fantastic green blues. :)

image.jpeg

image.jpeg
Seaglow, no news yet. I haven't yet ordered a strand because I am waffling between buying the expensive one or the less expensive one. I think that if I'm getting it, it should be a quality that I'll use, but then I'm not sure I want to spend that much on it. Ok, I'll just order a less expensive one because they look gorgeous too, and see how they are. I have a lot of gem testing equipment here, so I can probably find out whether they are Amazonite, and if they are dyed or something. Keep you posted.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Bluegemz,

Is there a return policy? They might be dyed chalcedony.....No need to buy if you are in doubt!

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bluegemz,

Is there a return policy? They might be dyed chalcedony.....No need to buy if you are in doubt!
They have a 30 day, money back return policy and are a top rated seller. I know of people who have purchas d and been satisfied, but I haven't yet. They have a range of mozambique Amazonite ranging from 20-30$ and 500$...in really curious too about this Amazonite.

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If it's really amazonite, then it's a really good quality. Good luck and let us know how your testing goes. :)

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok just made an offer on these..,

IMG_3010.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it's really amazonite, then it's a really good quality. Good luck and let us know how your testing goes. :)
Will definitely keep you posted. I have a great gem microscope, spectrometer, UV light, and a few other things...I can cut them and measure the specific gravity, so hopefully that will tell us somethings.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ok the beads came. These were the cheapest ones at $20. Upon first site, the color seemed too bright to be natural. I did a scratch test, and a burn test to check for coating. Nothing.
Tested the specific gravity, which is 2.64, well within the Amazonite range of 2.55-2.76. Also, the refractive index is 1.52, also right for Amazonite. They fluoresced with a weak olive green which again fits. I still have to set up my gem microscope to check for dye, which I will do in a minute. They don't have the evenness of dye though, and no obvious dye lines. There are natural looking variations, with some colorless spots.
Finally, I put them next to some other Amazonite beads which I have, which I know are untreated. Strangely, the colors are the same. I realized that these new beads look more artificial because of the amazing translucency, which I'm not used to seeing in amazonite. I asked the seller again about treatment, pretending to be a bulk buyer, expressing the importance of knowing ALL treatment. Will keep you updated with microscope results and final seller's message. In the meantime, here they are next to my untreated, rectangular Amazonite beads.

IMG_3246.JPG

IMG_3247.JPG

IMG_3248.JPG

IMG_3249.JPG

IMG_3250.JPG

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some close ups of the color distribution which is not unlike that of what's in the untreated beads...

IMG_3251.JPG

IMG_3252.JPG

IMG_3253.JPG

IMG_3254.JPG

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just got the seller's response. It says,"I promise, these are completely untreated, natural Mozambique Amazonite."
I am leaning towards believing it, looking at the top ratings and history that the seller has, but still have to check in the microscope.

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ooh please share the seller bluegemz! They look gorgeous.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just ordered this more expensive, more Paraiba colored bracelet. Will update on those when they arrive as well.

IMG_3255.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ooh please share the seller bluegemz! They look gorgeous.
Redspinel, the seller is on ebay. The name is reikocrystalbeads (3018). They have wonderful bangles too, star rose quartz beads, and just gorgeous stuff! Let me know if you find anything!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Redspinel, the seller is on ebay. The name is reikocrystalbeads (3018). They have wonderful bangles too, star rose quartz beads, and just gorgeous stuff! Let me know if you find anything!

Ooh thank you off to have a look.

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I must buy these...will do a review on these when they arrive.

IMG_3256.jpg

Bluegemz

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just want to put out a disclaimer, I'm not endorsing this seller. As always, buyer beware. Im still checking these things out, and I'm not 100 percent sure of anything yet. Also, it should be noted that the seller has some negative feedback along with mostly positive.

Last edited:

Seaglow

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thanks for sharing Bluegemz. They do look different. They might actually be very rare transparent amazonites, not that I have seen one. I noticed the seller only has 3 of those Paraiba colored, declared ice, more than transparent which I'm bound to believe. You took one, I took the other one - the 9mm, and there's one barrel bracelet left, seems less ice the barrel one but fantastic color. I also got the ice rhodochrosite cabochon. Let's see how it goes. I'm expecting the actual item will be less saturated than the photo based one your actual taken photos but it should be good color at least. Let's see.

image.jpeg

marionberry

Shiny_Rock
Premium
What exciting finds! Thank you for sharing here!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results