shape
carat
color
clarity

Moval setting ideas?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with no modern brilliant cut sides, but have seen some lovely mixed cuts I would be happy to set with it :) I like the idea of checking into having a modern brilliant pair of marquises being cut down to antique looking movals for sides.

I also like the idea of a hidden halo, but do not want too high of a setting.
what’s your budget for the side stones?
Also, I saw this beautiful setting on eBay, it’s similar to a halo but adds no bulk at the tips, which I understand you don’t want to add any more length. I neglected to send it to you because I think the stone should be set in something other than white metal and thus I’m not sure if it would work, but as you’re considering a halo type setting still ....
AE1AE341-1FA4-4A8D-8607-3A1D7501354F.jpeg C84ABF8F-CAF9-4566-A728-1083B8602041.jpeg

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@Niel that is a pretty setting as well :) As far as a budget for sides, I tend to love unique-which usually equates to expensive, so am keeping that open for now.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel that is a pretty setting as well :) As far as a budget for sides, I tend to love unique-which usually equates to expensive, so am keeping that open for now.

I can show you some antique pears but they are $$$ I guess I’m just saying, what range are you going up to?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I really haven’t set a budget and am keeping it open for now. Every pair of antique pears I have ever come across haven’t been inexpensive, but are certainly doable for price.

Reactions: AV_

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@AV_ GemConcepts always has some really gorgeous stones!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Your step cut pears look good & their step cut bottoms remind this: www [the stones were said to be meant to be set bottom up; I like them both ways - they are stark step cuts without a crown 'face up'! www & www comments tell how they work]

digressing

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@AV_ Those are really interesting and would be fun to design a piece of jewelry with them! For me it would be a piece that I wouldn't wear often as I would worry about damaging the stones.

AV_

Ideal_Rock

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@AV_ Ah-that would be fun, but not very functional for me as I would worry about damaging the culet.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love that setting you just posted, and also a three stone with your step cut pears or custom cut antique style movals. Maybe the choice depends on your current collection (any missing elements you crave?) and how/when you hope to wear this ring?

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What color would you do that particular setting in?

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@dreamer_dachsie I don’t own a solitaire, a three stone would be more practical than the ring I posted above-but I have several three stones, so maybe something different would be a good option :)

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are some more along the lines of the last one you posted. Obviously they'd have to be adapted to not be so tall!

marquise.oval.jpg marquiseaqua.jpg

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel Rose gold bezl and the rest in Plat :)

And you like the look of those? Idk I am not sure I’ve ever seen a two tone bezel halo I liked unless it had an airline

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@Niel no airline for me, as I generally do not like any settings with them that I have seen, but a thin bezel to coordinate with a center stone and a setting of another metal I do like and would not find awkward or obtrusive. Most likely any setting I choose will be two-toned.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@Inked thank you-that is a lovely setting option.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
The 9 mm of your stone width leave little room - www

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@AV_ thank you, I have seen that setting, it is also lovely. It is certainly all about the perfect angles and proportions to get a setting the 'right' fit for your stone and finger size :)

My ring posted above has a cushion center with a similar width, plus the pears and I wouldn't want to go too much wider on a setting.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
I am immagining the setting in pust #41 to proportion & it seems that the marquise is much smaller. It can all work, a little differently.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
@AV_ the marquise and setting in post #41 are most definitely smaller and would certainly need some tweaking of the proportions to get them correct-so it wouldn't end up looking like a saucer ;-) But I am envisioning the sides of the setting(around the center) staying long and slender, more petite than its proportions are currently with the size of the center stone.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@Niel no airline for me, as I generally do not like any settings with them that I have seen, but a thin bezel to coordinate with a center stone and a setting of another metal I do like and would not find awkward or obtrusive. Most likely any setting I choose will be two-toned.

I was not suggesting an airline but more so stating I find two tone bezels that’s lack a bezel to feel clunky and less effortless.
My
Vote is no bezel and no halo, myself. If you can’t find a nice matching pair I like
The idea of smaller accent diamonds on the side

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@AV_ the marquise and setting in post #41 are most definitely smaller and would certainly need some tweaking of the proportions

Neither of us can see what the other is thinking, unless we draw!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results