shape
carat
color
clarity

More sidestones for your perusal.... Plus new ovals!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Decisions, decisions.

I have really become a huge fan of colored center stones with substantial diamond sides.

I just got the 4.63 Tajikistan Spinel and the 6.08 Afghan mint tourmaline from Precision gem today. I have to say I purchased the tourmaline as kind of an afterthought to the spinel because they're the same facet pattern which I'm a fan of but I am really blown away by its loveliness. When I bought it, I figured the tourmaline would be a necklace because it has a significant (but cool looking) veil. I had originally intended to pair my trilliant earrings with the spinel but I think the proportions are far more complimentary to the tourmaline. If I pair the tourmaline with the trilliants I would use yellow gold so it has more color. The trilliant earrings are .99CTW but they face up massive as you can see they are kind of dwarfing the nearly 5ct spinel. I do love the color of the tourmaline but I'm just not sure it's saturated enough to serve as the "statement" ring I'm going for. The spinel on the other hand, is close to eyeclean with a smattering of wee bubbles throughout. The spinel is also a far more valuable stone if that makes a difference in what it should be paired with. I had a hard time getting the spinel to show her good side.

I don't mind inclusions as long as I know exactly what and where they are, they don't pose a breakage risk, and they aren't a weird color. The mint garnet with marquises is the same cut as these two to give you an idea of what they look like set. The round brilliants I'm just messing around with, I doubt they have enough presence to truly set off these big stones.

Anyone have strong opinions? I'm just gonna chew on these options for a while. On the other hand I do think I've come to love the spessartite and emerald cut combination!

ovals 005.JPG

ovals 028.JPG

ovals 034.JPG

ovals 012.JPG

Aoife

Brilliant_Rock
I love the spessartite and emerald-cut combination--no need to do any tweaking there, it's perfection in my book.

For the mint tourmaline, I actually like the smaller rounds you are showing in the bottom photo rather than the trillions. IMO the trillions, because they are so large, are making the tourmaline look less impressive than it really is. I do think the yellow gold is the way to go, whatever you decide for side stones.

I really like the spinel with the trillions. Is there any way you could balance the different combinations of centres and sidestones on your hand so we could see proportions IRL?

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
Oh that spess.....be still my heart....

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
If I could only choose one to set as a ring, the spess/emerald-cut combo is a no-brainer. The color of the spess really stands out, and the side stones are in perfect proportion.

If you had to choose the trilliants as a sidestone, I think the tourmaline can handle it. They are still a little too large and wide in proportion to the center stone, but if it had to be done, go with the tourmaline because of the color contrast.

The spinel, on the other hand, is overpowered by the trilliants. I like the color combo, but not the proportions. I'm really trying to make the smaller square-shaped sidestones work with the tourmaline and spinel in my head, but my eyes are looking for shapes with rounder edges. Smaller ovals, hearts or pears would work even better. But that's just me.

Good luck, and whatever you do, please set the spess! I'm dying to see it as a ring. :love:

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
herekittykitty|1311011642|2971534 said:
Oh that spess.....be still my heart....

I know, right? :cheeky:

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
The spess in these shots -- now THAT is wow. Va-va-VOOM! Much better looking than the pics you posted of it yesterday. Just . . . Wow.

I see what you mean about a "statement", but at the same time, it sort of seems that the size of the trillions is a little better paired with the tourmaline versus the spinel. But I probably also like it b/c I like that sort of cool "icey" combination.

The rounds, I don't know . . . with the ovals, they seem a little diminutive.

I just can't take my eyes off that spess, though . . . :love:

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Aoife|1311011055|2971530 said:
I love the spessartite and emerald-cut combination--no need to do any tweaking there, it's perfection in my book.

For the mint tourmaline, I actually like the smaller rounds you are showing in the bottom photo rather than the trillions. IMO the trillions, because they are so large, are making the tourmaline look less impressive than it really is. I do think the yellow gold is the way to go, whatever you decide for side stones.

I really like the spinel with the trillions. Is there any way you could balance the different combinations of centres and sidestones on your hand so we could see proportions IRL?

+2 - couldn't have said it better myself!

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I couldn't comment on the spess/emerald diamonds in the other thread but it's looking :love: here. The orange colour just pops even though it wasn't meant to be the star.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the feedback guys! I love being able to discourse on these banalities with like-minded peeps! I really appreciate that you all not only are able to tell whether you like/dislike something you're able to articulate exactly why which is so valuable to me.

It's 9:30 PM here so the flash I used is doing that spess favors. Think of it as Marlene Dietrich being shot through a Vaseline smeared lens and lit from the bottom up to hide imperfections. Gorgeous she is, but it's the best possible scenario. But it does do a great job of showing how crystal clean the spess is.

Ok, I had to shoot these sideways so I had a place to stick the earrings. You'll have to imagine but you can see the tourmaline + trills would be about 150% coverage, the setting might need to flute out sideways above my finger a bit.

All of these will be set eventually, although the tourmaline could still become a necklace. There are no skilled benchmen in Tanzania and so all detailed manufacturing is sent Thailand. I'm not a fan of this option because my jeweler back home has been custom making me exquisitely beautiful and heavy 18k settings with awesome prongs for under 1k a piece so I'm going to have my husband drop off my projects at my stateside jeweler when he goes home next month. I hope to pick up the finished pieces when I go home in October or December. I'm so homesick. *sigh*

ovalsonhand 003.JPG

ovalsonhand 005.JPG

ovalsonhand 006.JPG

ovalsonhand 008.JPG

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
I would love your tourm with the small rounds as a necklace (even a double chain necklace!), with the diamonds on the collarbones (I have a real thing about that kind of tripartite necklace design). I looooove the spinel with the trillians: I think that's an absolute brainblaster of a combination. Which the spess combo is too - WOWSERS :love: :naughty: :love: Both in high-k yellow gold IMO.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
platinumrock|1311012300|2971545 said:
If you had to choose the trilliants as a sidestone, I think the tourmaline can handle it. They are still a little too large and wide in proportion to the center stone, but if it had to be done, go with the tourmaline because of the color contrast.

Well the not previously mentioned option is to just wait for the perfect center stone. There is an 8ct emerald I'm eyeing that I would just die to do this combination with. But at $2200, I don't think the emerald will ever be mine. Plus, I'm really trying to put a moratorium on new stones (yeah right :twisted: ) and just set some of the many I have sitting in safes.

This is the quote of the day from my husband: "Hawaiian punch spinels! Fanta Garnets! Why does my wallet have to suffer just because your mom didn't let you have sugary drinks as a kid!?!?!"

That tourmaline looks like pistachio icecream.......... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
natsplat|1311015185|2971590 said:
I would love your tourm with the small rounds as a necklace (even a double chain necklace!), with the diamonds on the collarbones (I have a real thing about that kind of tripartite necklace design). I looooove the spinel with the trillians: I think that's an absolute brainblaster of a combination. Which the spess combo is too - WOWSERS :love: :naughty: :love: Both in high-k yellow gold IMO.

I want to see want you do with your aqua because I think of it as the baby sis of the tourm. Are you going with a necklace? N-S or E-W? The double chain idea is brilliant but would the chains be joined at the diamond stations?

I agree I would do yellow for the tourmaline but for the spinel my jeweler has this alloy (he might not have enough left) that's not quite yellow and not quite pink that I just love. He switched to a pinker gold for my mint garnet and it's not quite as alluring. It's like the gold the Victorians used. The tourmaline with the head in this peachy alloy is nearly the same color to the spinel (spinel has slight secondary purple/raspberry whereas the color of the tourm is true bright pink). angle.jpg

fierypyropixy

Brilliant_Rock
Did I read you wrong when you commented that the jeweler made that asscher ring for less than 1k?

That's amazing, if so -- I've been looking at their site a lot, because I have some big asschers too and think their work is high-quality . . . but always assumed it would be big moolah.

(Sorry if this comes across as crass.)

Indylady

Ideal_Rock
Wow. I am loving the the combos you've posted. I really love the EC three stone idea, and love the trilliants with the oval too. I'm working on a project and want/will be using diamond sides instead of pave for both the look and the sake of practicality--easier to clean, so worries of pave falling out (though it hasn't happened to me yet on any of my rings, I still worry about it).

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
fierypyropixy|1311017620|2971613 said:
Did I read you wrong when you commented that the jeweler made that asscher ring for less than 1k?

That's amazing, if so -- I've been looking at their site a lot, because I have some big asschers too and think their work is high-quality . . . but always assumed it would be big moolah.

Not crass at all. You read it right. He is very talented which is I'm always name dropping them. They deserve more recognition even though (or because) they are my 1 horse town jeweler. Actually, there are a lot of horses but only one stoplight :bigsmile: . People always use the same ole vendors on pricescope and they always be hatin' on the B&Ms when some are true gems.

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
kelpie|1311019072|2971624 said:
fierypyropixy|1311017620|2971613 said:

Not crass at all. You read it right. He is very talented which is I'm always name dropping them. They deserve more recognition even though (or because) they are my 1 horse town jeweler. Actually, there are a lot of horses but only one stoplight :bigsmile: . People always use the same ole vendors on pricescope and they always be hatin' on the B&Ms when some are true gems.
Who is this jeweler?

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
www.huntcountry.com

They are precision lapidaries too so they know how to handle the finicky colored stones.

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
They are all gorgeous! It's like a rainbow of deliciousnes!! :lickout: I like the combos you've put together and can't wait to see the final results.

natsplat

Brilliant_Rock
kelpie|1311016722|2971602 said:
I want to see want you do with your aqua because I think of it as the baby sis of the tourm. Are you going with a necklace? N-S or E-W? The double chain idea is brilliant but would the chains be joined at the diamond stations?

I agree I would do yellow for the tourmaline but for the spinel my jeweler has this alloy (he might not have enough left) that's not quite yellow and not quite pink that I just love. He switched to a pinker gold for my mint garnet and it's not quite as alluring. It's like the gold the Victorians used. The tourmaline with the head in this peachy alloy is nearly the same color to the spinel (spinel has slight secondary purple/raspberry whereas the color of the tourm is true bright pink)

Aw - GemSisters! :D I *was* thinking I might set my aqua as a N-S necklace: I think maybe I only have a few ideas in my pot :lol: However, I love it so much, and it's not soooo large, so I might end up getting it set as a ring in the end.
Yes, I see the chains joining at the diamond stations, then single chain to the clasp. One could play with different chain links in that kind of design too. Even maybe a smaller asymmetrical "scattering" of even smaller bezelled diamonds along the way...?

I LOVE your jeweller's alloy! WOW. You should totally go for that, if he has enough for you! :love: And your jeweller looks amazing - wonderful work at reasonable prices.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
yennyfire|1311019726|2971632 said:
They are all gorgeous! It's like a rainbow of deliciousnes!! :lickout: I like the combos you've put together and can't wait to see the final results.

Exactly. :wavey:

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
The spess and diamond are breath taking together. I like the tourmaline with the small rounds. For the spinel, I think it could actually stand alone, or be paired with pears or half moons.

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
What a beautiful array of colors!!! The orange spess 3 stone is gorgeous. The orange just pops!! YumYum! The tourmaline and spinel are lovely. They will look great in any setting! Beautiful gems! :love:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Very nice proportions, and the diamonds don't overshadow the spinel.

file.jpg

I like the trillions better with the mint tourmaline, as it's an icey color, and the diamonds just add more ice to the look. They don't overpower it.

The emerald cut sides were meant for the spessartite. They are perfect!!

kelpie

Ideal_Rock
Thank you everyone! I'm pretty certain I'll pair the spinel with the trilliants. I was playing with them a lot on my hand and once the spinel is raised above the sides and the trills are slightly tilted the proportions look much better. The biggest factor is wearbility which the spinel's size and durability lend itself to. I was telling myself before I didn't need two pink RHRs but my big pink asscher tourm already has nicks on the girdle and I would wear it much more if I didn't fear damaging it further. Another huge tourmaline ring would require the same babying. I want my investment in the one that gets worn the most and believe it or not, at $580 the spinel is the most expensive loose colored gem I've bought. Still thinking about what to do with the mint tourm....

pregcurious

Ideal_Rock
Kelpie, your tourmaline ring is really beautiful. Des Hunt Country Jewelers also work in platinum?

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Kelpie, your spessartite looks stunning in these photos! I like the spinel with diamonds shot.

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
kelpie|1311015553|2971594 said:
platinumrock|1311012300|2971545 said:

Well the not previously mentioned option is to just wait for the perfect center stone. There is an 8ct emerald I'm eyeing that I would just die to do this combination with. But at $2200, I don't think the emerald will ever be mine. Plus, I'm really trying to put a moratorium on new stones (yeah right :twisted: ) and just set some of the many I have sitting in safes.

This is the quote of the day from my husband: "Hawaiian punch spinels! Fanta Garnets! Why does my wallet have to suffer just because your mom didn't let you have sugary drinks as a kid!?!?!"

That tourmaline looks like pistachio icecream.......... mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Hahahaa!!! Your husband is funny and sooo hitting the truth. Mine says, "Umm..this whole "happy wife, happy" wife philosophy is getting too expensive. You know most women get one ring, right?" Then I have to remind him I'm not most women. :devil:

Your handshots actually give a better perspective and scale of the stones. Up close, the trillions look huge. But on your hand, they actually go well with the spinel and tourmaline. You can't go wrong either way. Snagging that 8 ct. emerald may take a little longer. But the stones you have you can set and enjoy NOW. That's the good news.

Mmmmmmm...pistachio ice cream.... :cheeky:

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So where do I start? First off, thanks for providing another shot of "the Sinister Ring," my all time favorite. :appl: :love: :appl: I love that and will never get tired of looking at it. You got some great imagination, girl.

Second, you are now officially one of my idols **imagine little emoticon on knees, bowing down to you** The fact that you collect these diamond pairs in earrings you take apart?!! How brilliant are you? If I was as good with money as you are, I'd have a boatload of fine jewelry. I think I'll just save myself a lot of time and follow you around on PS, buying whatever you have and making rings just like you... :lickout: okay, not really cause you might think I was some kind of syber stalker

You definitely take the cake for ingenuity and I can't wait to see the finished products...

bright ice

Ideal_Rock
Premium
They are all great combinations so I can imagine it's a tough decision. You can't go wrong either way. I especially like the spess combo.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the colour and size combination of the spinel with the trillions. The aqua will need different sidestones. As for the asscher setting, wow! That's a good price for the design and metal used. Will he deal with long distance customers (US based) or only in-store/walk-in customers?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results