shape
carat
color
clarity

More shedding of fluorescence inner values

AV_

Ideal_Rock
Texture is a good word..., a synonym for grain

It means many things in the related domains of grain & crystal growth, so it is not very precise; in the same domain of academic lingo, 'grain' is a pun [or so I think... - eg. the word stands at least both for coherent growth domains when there are many, or for growth features oriented with the lattice, etc. - you must have seen all & then some!]; both words are used for many of the possible crystal characteristics that look that way.

__

Digressing - I have only seen a single diamond cut to play on its texture [there was too much to defeat], and not much else as good; any other stones [Raman made some famous in his earlier papers, 'texture' is such a thing]; the texture was played to disperse what would have been annoying - too strong, too short - flash, & made those last over slightly broader viewing angles; I am like that... & I do understand perfect water [frankly, the latest suite you have cut does look like it is flowing around!]

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Does the top diamond has any graining issues?
graining.png
Good pick Yoram. Yes this sharper ViBox clearer video (than the one on youtube) alllows a experianced person to see the graining.
But this stone is also very strong fluorescence and as such would be very milky in any light with a tiny bit of UV.
Yet GIA graded it as VVS2. I do not think that is fair to the eventual owner - discount or not (At G colour the discount would not be as deep as a D or E VVS)

diagem

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good pick Yoram. Yes this sharper ViBox clearer video (than the one on youtube) alllows a experianced person to see the graining.
But this stone is also very strong fluorescence and as such would be very milky in any light with a tiny bit of UV.
Yet GIA graded it as VVS2. I do not think that is fair to the eventual owner - discount or not (At G colour the discount would not be as deep as a D or E VVS)

So I understand from you the grained material somehow elevates the dullness in UV lighting (like sunlight)? Just like clouds (not seen) do? Its not really the fluorescence but a combination of the two. I would imagine if this diamond didnt possess the graining the dullness would not be visible.

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Garry H (Cut Nut) Does grading require judgement of how distracting such charactersitcis are?

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Garry H (Cut Nut) Does grading require judgement of how distracting such charactersitcis are?
AV grading diamonds is more about consistency than grading.
A lab has a hard time innovating or evolving (other than develop machines that do the same job cheaper than humans).
If you introduce a new grade for transparency you would need to remove the current consumer cheating transparency = clarity grading because you would grade the same feature twice. Thats like changing 3r Degree murder to 1st or 2nd.
So that would mean admitting decades of misleading and mistaken approach.
The ambulance chasing lawyers would have a field day me thinks.

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Garry H (Cut Nut) I am not surprised that transparency is counted with clarity characteristics, but that the grain patch extending over a fifth of the crown is considered equivalent with two pinpoints neither visible without magnification, or with any other configuration of clarity characteristics that amounts to the same grade.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Garry H (Cut Nut) Your second video made me think of what do I expect to see in videos at all, where & how, and ended up with a couple of SI examples, with the clarity grade approx. due to cloud type characteristics [eg. GIA #6272174589 - E/SI2 'Cloud, Crystal' Fluorescenece: 'None'] ; else, I have noticed at least two VS1s I had guessed to be SI from the videos, but no VVS - perhaps just a matter of resolution.

An atlas of diamond inclusions is very overdue [ & how its format may relate to videography.]

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Garry H (Cut Nut)

An atlas of diamond inclusions is very overdue [ & how its format may relate to videography.]
That would be a great idea - static is rather outdated given everyone has a video viewer with them today.
But better still is VR - Sergey et al have made a 3D virtual microscope that lets you zoom about inside gemstones!

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@Garry H (Cut Nut)

I can see such an atlas done within a couple of months, using anonimized diamond videos from the collections of sold stones that are still ported by the usual databases; some formats are very good indeed.

I am used to photo & other micrography in VR & could play with local instrumentation as well.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results