shape
carat
color
clarity

More Padparadscha questions...

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kashmira

Shiny_Rock
Some time ago I started a thread regarding the colour of padparadscha sapphires (https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/padparadscha-questions.123431/). I''d like to learn more of this beautiful gem so now I am back with more questions:

* Are there other famous Padparadscha sapphires than the Morgan Padparadscha sapphire?
* When was the first padparadscha sapphire discovered?
* Pink sapphires seem to get its pink colour from chromium- what trace amount makes a sapphire padparadscha coloured?
* It seems as if some padparadscha sapphires have a slight to medium orange fluorescence- what is it that cause this fluorescence? What is the reason for that only some sapphires have a fluorescence?
* I have read that padparadscha sapphires have been mined in Sri Lanka, Tanzania and also in Vietnam. Have padparadscha sapphires been found in other locations too and does someone have more information regarding more precisely where they have been found?
* How big % of all sapphires that have been mined are padparadscha sapphires?
* Does someone know how much (in carat) padparadscha sapphires that have been mined and how much are mined every year?
* What is the highest price (per carat) a padparadscha sapphire has been sold for?

I am sorry for all questions!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
HERE is a thread on fluorescence in general, you might find it helpful. Regarding other questions, there are many people here much more knowledgable then me, so I''m sure you''ll get them all answered soon.

morecarats

Shiny_Rock
I''m not sure that anyone has done a detailed study of the history and gemology of padparadscha sapphire. Your best bet is probably Richard Hughes'' book on ruby and sapphire.

Padparascha has been known in Sri Lanka for a long time, so it is probably impossible to say when the first pad was discovered.

The unique color is thought to be due to chromium (for the pink) and iron (for the orange).

True pads -- especially unheated specimens -- are so rare that a tiny fraction of one percent of all sapphires are padparadschas.

As far as the annual yield is concerned, I''m not sure statistics exist even for blue sapphire, so you''re unlikely to find them for padparadscha.

Then of course there is the issue of what exactly counts as a padparascha, but that''s a topic that''s been done to death here.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 10/30/2009 9:54:46 AM
Author: morecarats
I''m not sure that anyone has done a detailed study of the history and gemology of padparadscha sapphire. Your best bet is probably Richard Hughes'' book on ruby and sapphire.

Padparascha has been known in Sri Lanka for a long time, so it is probably impossible to say when the first pad was discovered.

The unique color is thought to be due to chromium (for the pink) and iron (for the orange).

True pads -- especially unheated specimens -- are so rare that a tiny fraction of one percent of all sapphires are padparadschas.

As far as the annual yield is concerned, I''m not sure statistics exist even for blue sapphire, so you''re unlikely to find them for padparadscha.

Then of course there is the issue of what exactly counts as a padparascha, but that''s a topic that''s been done to death here.
That''s one of the reasons I will not pay a premium for an orange/pink sapphire based on it''s marketing name of padparadscha. The definition of what it actually is and how often that definition changes is disconcerting to me, as a gem collector, to actually pay a premium to have a true padparadscha. I would always have it in the back of my head, "do I have a true padparadscha?" Besides, the fact that they''re the only transparant colored gem, besides aqua that I know of ,that is not valued based on vivid color, is a big turn off for me.

ma re

Ideal_Rock
Date: 10/30/2009 10:14:33 AM
Author: tourmaline_lover

Besides, the fact that they''re the only transparant colored gem, besides aqua that I know of ,that is not valued based on vivid color, is a big turn off for me.
Not to threadjack, but I think those orangy-goldenish-apricotish-yellow imperial topazes might fall into that group also (gentle color is desired - if it''s too saturated, it goes brown).

Kashmira

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for your replies!

Kashmira

Shiny_Rock
More questions...

* Does anyone know if the article by Robert Crowningshield in the Spring 1983 Gems & Gemology (pages 30-36) is available on-line?
* I found a picture of a picture of a 3.13 ct pad from Montana. Does anyone know if there were many pads found in Montana?

Kashmira

Shiny_Rock
Date: 10/31/2009 10:47:52 AM
Author: Kashmira
More questions...

* Does anyone know if the article by Robert Crowningshield in the Spring 1983 Gems & Gemology (pages 30-36) is available on-line?
* I found a picture of a picture of a 3.13 ct pad from Montana. Does anyone know if there were many pads found in Montana?
I managed to find the article!

I am still interersted to know if someone has more information regarding where pads have been found in the US. I also wonder is someone knows if pads there are some other countries apart from the ones already mentionned where pads have been found?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results