shape
carat
color
clarity

More GIA troubles, what about other labs?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Kareen357

Rough_Rock
I have read this forum for months nows, very informitive, and helped me buy a 1ct stone for my fiance.

I bought a stone from an e-vendor about 3 months ago, after reading in todays WSJ and yesterdays WSJ about the problems at GIA, one has to wonder about the other labs. If GIA can be compromised, what about AGS, EGL, IGI, etc.?

They say only a few stones are in question, but this has been going on since 2001. What is a few stones, then over this time period? GIA won''t release numbers. Why not? If it is only a few, then tell us it is only a few.

My stone was AGS cert, I guess I am happy about that. But if GIA can be compromised what about the other labs. When I bought the stone, the AGS report had it as an "H", but the appraisor I used in Chicago said it was an "I". I decided to keep the stone, I liked it and the price was OK. The dealer bought it as an "I", and he stood behind the AGS report, not the appraisor report, certainly I could have returned the stone. I have no problem with the dealer, no problem at all.

I guess I am just thinking, is it really an "H" or is the appriasor right and it is an "I"? Can other labs be compromised?
GIA has offered at no charge to re-appriase their work, they might be deluged with returns to re-certify. Time will tell.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
hey kareen357
35.gif
welcome to ps!

please tell us more about your stone
1.gif
where did you buy it from? how did you have it set? where are the pics! we need to know more.
1.gif

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The weakness at the GIA "could" exist anywhere, but they are the Big Dog of labs, so the largest problems fit right on their platter. For better or worse, this is something that is very difficult to prevent and sure enough, it happened. I don't believe there was a lax attitude about mis grading diamonds, but obviously, there was some room for making some bad grading calls on some important diamonds. Money does motivate crime. Its unfortunate, but just a part of human nature. Every lab needs to be watchful of bribery and criminal conduct.

A lot of bad grading is just bad gemology and not dishonesty. There is a lot more bad gemology than dishonesty, but the net result is quite similar. People get somewhat different grades from lab to lab. When one looks at the various grades from the Major labs there are some tendencies that show and a surprising amount of agreement in grading, too. The market is pretty smart, so most grading "errors" are adjusted by the actual selling prices anyway. Most people get a fair deal and who is to say what the actual grade is? The most well known lab is now accused of some suspicious activity and who is now left to determine "accuracy"?

I think consumers are best served by understanding that the present color and clarity grades are subjective in nature. They should buy diamonds that they love and research the value. They should like their appearance and feel comfortable with the seller. The actual grade may be one off the mark from time to time, but the diamond is the one they liked and really not affected by arguments over subjective grading that can never be proven or solved.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
The problem lies with +10ct stones that the owner / graders can be more easily identified by each other.

The labs you mentioned are rarely given these very large stones to grade - they usually end up with gIA and or HRD.

Roland Lorie, a director of IGI, has suggested that twin and triple certified large diamonds will become the norm. Of course that will be very good for their business
36.gif

Modified Brilliant

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Date: 12/21/2005 4:53:01 PM
Author: oldminer
The weakness at the GIA ''could'' exist anywhwere, but they are the Big Dog of labs, so the largest problems fit right on their platter. For better or worse, this is something that is very difficult to prevent and sure enough, it happened. I don''t believe there was a lax attitude about misgrading diamonds, but obviosuly, there was some room for making some bad grading calls on some important diamonds. Money does motivate crime. Its unfortunate, but just a part of human nature. Every lab needs to be watchful of bribery and criminal conduct.

A lot of bad grading is just bad gemology and not dishonesty. There is a lot more bad gemology than dishonesty, but the net result is quite similar. People get somewhat different grades from lab to lab. When one looks at the various grades from the najor labs there are some tendencies that show and a surprising amount of agreement in grading, too. The market is pretty smart, so most grading ''errors'' are adjusted by the actual selling prices anyway. Most people get a fair deal and who is to say what the actual grade is? The most well known lab is now accused of some susicious activity and who is now left to determine ''accuracy''?

I think consumers are best served by understanding that the present color and clarity grades are subjective in nature. They should buy diamonds that they love and research the value. They should like their appearance and feel comfortable with the seller. The actual grade may be one off the mark from time to time, but the diamond is the one they liked and really not affected by arguments over subjective grading that can never be proven or solved.
Dave is right. "A lot of bad grading is just bad gemology and not dishonesty." An appraiser spends a fair amount of time "correcting" inaccurate appraisals that were written by unqualified people. This is especially true of appraisals performed in the 1980''s-early 1990''s. Today, we have more technology and more knowledge available to help us make better and more accurate decisions.

www.metrojewelryappraisers.com

ademello

Rough_Rock
I''ve Read 2 coppies of the scam appraisals from GIA and they read really phoney. Not even close. 7.80 Carat IF D Color. Isn''t it Crazy. Your AGS Cert as well as a GIA Cert can be trusted. Dont let One or Two Disgruntled GIA Employees
Ruin the trust for one of the best labs in the world.

Art DeMello GG (GIA) A. DeMello Gemological Lab - New Bedford, Massachusetts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results