shape
carat
color
clarity

More ethics: Tell potential landlords about cats?

iugurl

Shiny_Rock
That is a sucky law! I would be very unhappy if I owned a rental property in that province. I have seen firsthand the damage that dogs and cats alike can cause to an apartment. I know all pets aren't like that, but how is the landlord supposed to screen pets to see if they are well-behaved or not? They can't, it would be impossible. BTW, I love cats. But even though most cats are "small", they can cause a heck of a lot of damage.

I really hate lying so I don't know what I would do. I guess I would look around and see if there are any places that follow the law regarding pets. If not, well I guess I would move in and then inform the landlords that I have acquired a kitty, and according to the law (printed out) I am legally entitled to have animals in the apartment.

Amys Bling

Super_Ideal_Rock
tyty333|1314112808|2997372 said:
Normally I'm all about the truth but in the case I think I might not say anything. I kind of feel like your hubby in that they
may find other reasons to not let you rent. Its a bummer that they are saying no pets when its illegal for them to do so.

We are on the same page tyty!

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Lottie UK|1314130948|2997670 said:
Just to offer another point of view, if I was the landlord and for whatever reason I had requested no cats for this house and knowing this, you moved in with a cat and didn't tell me I would be very upset and would find another reason to terminate the lease asap because I would assume that you are untrustworthy.

Whatever the law states about what you can and cannot do, the house belongs to the landlord and I believe that ethically they have a right to decide wether or not you can bring a pet into the property.

I actually totally agree with you. I think landlords should be able to specify no pets, or non-smoker (you can make it illegal to smoke in the unit, but refusing to rent to a smoker is discriminatory). Its just not legal here and part of the headaches of being a landlord. I know, I used to be one! I do feel that its wrong to bring in a pet without telling the landlord, I'm just not sure what to do since I'm having a hard time finding anywhere that's pet friendly.

As far as evicting, its really hard to do when the tenant is paying their rent. You can't just evict somebody because you don't trust them, there has to be grounds and the grounds have to be approved by the rental board. Its a huge hassle.

I'm still not sure about how we should proceed, but I do agree that its wrong to lie about having pets. I also worry about dealing with somebody who knows I lied to them! The main issue is the shortage of places that call themselves pet friendly. Its a rock and a hard place type of situation.

ETA: I'm also all about doing things according to the law so part of me is really annoyed that landlords choose to ignore the law and hope their tenants are ignorant of it. That part of me wants to sneak the cats in. Oh the indecision!

LGK

Ideal_Rock
Wow. That is a sucky dilemma. Seriously. I mean, on one hand, I think it's a weird law and as a landlord, I'd hate it- my wee furballs are miniature tornadoes of mess and destruction and I know it and paid through the teeth with our last rental- a $400 non refundable deposit, and then of course we had to pay for all the kitteh havoc (of which there was lots- trashed carpet, every blind and screen destroyed- and lets not even talk about every couch I've ever owned.). And we squeaked by with our old lease when they inacted a $75 per month cat rental fee.

But on the other, if the landlord is aware of the law and is lying to try to get around it, that sucks too and would make me much less inclined to be (as Circe said) The Bigger Person (TM).

Screw it, I'd say just move in and be done with it, because yeah, I do think that a landlord already lying is likely to find some BS reason to deny you if you are upfront. There's really no better places available, though?

(I do know in the area I live that most landlords no longer allow cats, and I thank god I'm not trying to rent with three any longer.)

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
When you say there's a shortage of pet-friendly places do you mean that most places advertise as "no pets allowed" or do you mean that you have actually spoken to landlords who insist that you cannot bring in cats? Landlords want neat, quiet tenants. One way to screen for this is to simply say, no pets. This means no noisy smelly dogs/cats. Of course, there are messy noisy petless people but landlords figure that by saying "no pets" they are more likely to get the kind of tenant they want. What my husband and I found when looking for apartments was that we were the ideal candidates for landlords, except for the cats. We were able to convince owners to rent to us, even with the cats, because a young professional couple is exactly what they were looking for. We had to convince them that the cats were mellow, litter-box trained and basically a non-issue. This wasn't that hard to do with actual owners, as opposed to building managers. There was one landlord who wanted us so bad that at first he lowered the rent if we wouldn't bring the cats! We kept explaining that we had no choice and finally he would have allowed it but by then we had found a better place.

My point is, if you don't want to lie, present yourselves as the wonderful tenants that you'll be and then let them know that you have cats and therefore must be able to bring them with you. It will come down to the economics of supply and demand; are there enough well-qualified tenants without pets that the landlord is willing to let you get away?

But again, when I think back to 1989 moving to Toronto with two cats and panicking that we weren't going to be able to find a place to live unless I gave them up, I would have just not even mentioned them had this law been on the books back then. Not an outright lie, but certainly the sin of omission.

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
I just started reading the thread, so I may be repeating others' thoughts.

My husband and I have 2 cats. Our landlord said no pets on his listing sheet for our condo, but we asked the realtor to check with him to see if he'd consider us anyway. We explained that our cats had been spayed/neutered, they don't go outside, they're always up to date on their vaccinations, and they're well-behaved. We even offered to pay a pay fee if he felt more comfortable. He agreed to let us move in and he chose not to charge us extra for our pets. When we move out, we'll pay to have the wall to wall carpeting professionally cleaned.

Maybe you could talk to the landlord and see if he's flexible.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Thanks Zoe and Maria D for posting this perspective. I have spoken to some landlords that are firm on no pets. Others I am assuming based on their listings. I will try talking to a few more and explaining that the cats are spayed/neutered, don't go outside, have regular vet visits, and are very well behaved. We'll see how that goes!

The ironic part is that my cats will only claw at berber carpeting and the only rental property I've found that doesn't say "no pets" in their add has berber. I guess it could work, but I'd rather not rent a place I know the cats will destroy, especially when they're fine with all other types of carpet! I'm looking online and working with an agent.

I also posted an add this morning in the "looking for" section of a popular rental board in hopes of finding a landlord that doesn't mind the cats. Doesn't hurt to ask right? I described us as professionals, talked about our well behaved cats, and listed a few things we'd like in a property. So far nobody's contacted me, but hopefully some people see it tonight. We're willing to pay at the top of the market for a nice place so I hope some landlords see the potential here.

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Why don't you offer them a pet bond? Say you'll give them $1000 as a bond towards any (unlikely) damage caused by cats. Also offer to have apt.carpets professionally cleaned and treated for any (again unlikely) fleas at the end of your tenancy. Say they are indoor cats and very well tempered, lie and say you'll have them declawed (don't actually do this, it's very cruel) and say you brush them every day to keep molting at a minimum. Try your best to re-assure them allowing your cats in won't be an issue. Can you also offer glowing refrences regarding you guys - aka try to get benefits of having you as tenants outweigh the much smaller issue of cats. There's not much more you can do. I have 2 cats and here in Sydney too it's difficult to get properties to rent which allow cats. For the majority in high rise apt. buildings it's actually illegal to keep cats or small dogs. I don't get the cat thing at all - I would come from the thinking people who look after animals and care for them are more they type if tenant I would want in my property than those who dislike animals... You could also try the angle that you're being honest with them as opposed to lying. I dunno what a pain, landlords and their stupid no pet policies!!! Deffo try the pet bond thing up it as much as you can too - money talks. Good luck.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Colltee|1314143657|2997831 said:
Why don't you offer them a pet bond? Say you'll give them $1000 as a bond towards any (unlikely) damage caused by cats. Also offer to have apt.carpets professionally cleaned and treated for any (again unlikely) fleas at the end of your tenancy. Say they are indoor cats and very well tempered, lie and say you'll have them declawed (don't actually do this, it's very cruel) and say you brush them every day to keep molting at a minimum. Try your best to re-assure them allowing your cats in won't be an issue. Can you also offer glowing refrences regarding you guys - aka try to get benefits of having you as tenants outweigh the much smaller issue of cats. There's not much more you can do. I have 2 cats and here in Sydney too it's difficult to get properties to rent which allow cats. For the majority in high rise apt. buildings it's actually illegal to keep cats or small dogs. I don't get the cat thing at all - I would come from the thinking people who look after animals and care for them are more they type if tenant I would want in my property than those who dislike animals... You could also try the angle that you're being honest with them as opposed to lying. I dunno what a pain, landlords and their stupid no pet policies!!! Deffo try the pet bond thing up it as much as you can too - money talks. Good luck.

I think this might also be illegal here...not entirely sure, but I do know that a landlord cannot accept a security deposit of any kind from a tenant. I will offer though and see if any of them want to take it. We are also looking at places that are obviously overpriced and have sat on the market for a while, maybe some of them will be desperate enough to take the cats!

Colltee

Rough_Rock
Bugger! It's worth a shot. To be honest I've found when you offer it anyway most won't accept the money but let you keep the cats, I think it hows how desperate you are to have your cats and also shows how confident you are they won't destroy the place. Something will cone up with a decent landlord who will be cool with the cats and then you'll be delighted you waited as you'll be chilled out with your puddies knowing the landlord is too :loopy:

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
chemgirl|1314135307|2997730 said:
Lottie UK|1314130948|2997670 said:
Just to offer another point of view, if I was the landlord and for whatever reason I had requested no cats for this house and knowing this, you moved in with a cat and didn't tell me I would be very upset and would find another reason to terminate the lease asap because I would assume that you are untrustworthy.

Whatever the law states about what you can and cannot do, the house belongs to the landlord and I believe that ethically they have a right to decide wether or not you can bring a pet into the property.

I actually totally agree with you. I think landlords should be able to specify no pets, or non-smoker (you can make it illegal to smoke in the unit, but refusing to rent to a smoker is discriminatory). Its just not legal here and part of the headaches of being a landlord. I know, I used to be one! I do feel that its wrong to bring in a pet without telling the landlord, I'm just not sure what to do since I'm having a hard time finding anywhere that's pet friendly.

As far as evicting, its really hard to do when the tenant is paying their rent. You can't just evict somebody because you don't trust them, there has to be grounds and the grounds have to be approved by the rental board. Its a huge hassle.

I'm still not sure about how we should proceed, but I do agree that its wrong to lie about having pets. I also worry about dealing with somebody who knows I lied to them! The main issue is the shortage of places that call themselves pet friendly. Its a rock and a hard place type of situation.

ETA: I'm also all about doing things according to the law so part of me is really annoyed that landlords choose to ignore the law and hope their tenants are ignorant of it. That part of me wants to sneak the cats in. Oh the indecision!

I agree its a toughie and I do sympathise - you know your cats are lovely and that you would be fine, you just need a landlord to be a bit open minded. Have you asked any of the specific properties that you like about the cats?

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
Woot, after expanding my search area and calling lots of landlords I've found 2 that are ok with my having cats. They are both further than we wanted to be, but one is a new and very nice detached home so we can deal with that! The only problem is the paint colors...bright orange livingroom and bathrooms, bright green kitchen (open concept to orange livingroom!) and bright blue master bedroom. I'll have an interesting time decorating around that! Beggars can't be choosers right?

partgypsy

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm glad you found a solution to the "cat" problem. Normally I am honesty is the best policy, but depends how desperate things get. when I was moving to the town I now live in, we were moving with a dog and a cat. We had driven all day and just wanted a place to sleep (we were going to a rental manager the following day to look at rental properties). Most motels, no pets. We finally found one that allowed cats, but no dogs. Then one that allowed dogs, but no cats. We drove back to the place that allowed cats and then snuck our dog in, since we were there we knew he wouldn't bark, while I didn't know at the other place if our cat would meow and give us away.
The place we then rented we were up front about our pets. We paid a deposit that would also cover damage by the pets, and paid an extra $100 fee a year ($50 per pet). When we moved out we got all of our deposit back because our pets were not destructive.

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I am glad that you found a solution. Much is it is illegal not to allow pets in the house, if the owner is allergic to cats, and you rent an apartment from him, and do not tell him, you may find yourself with a real problem on your hands!

Lottie

Brilliant_Rock
chemgirl|1314198301|2998222 said:
Woot, after expanding my search area and calling lots of landlords I've found 2 that are ok with my having cats. They are both further than we wanted to be, but one is a new and very nice detached home so we can deal with that! The only problem is the paint colors...bright orange livingroom and bathrooms, bright green kitchen (open concept to orange livingroom!) and bright blue master bedroom. I'll have an interesting time decorating around that! Beggars can't be choosers right?

That's great news - congratulations! Happy painting and good luck with the move.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would be honest and offer to pay a separate pet deposit.

bee*

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'd be honest about it as I wouldn't feel comfortable staying somewhere if I didn't say it.

Maria D

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
so glad it all worked out for you! Good luck with your new job.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, we just moved last month and the owners of the house didn't want cats, but when we told them we had one, they just required a pet deposit. I don't think it's a good idea to lie. Cats can be difficult to hide especially since they sit up on window sills, etc., and even if they cannot discriminate, the landlord/management co. can kick you out for lying. And you know, if you lie about a pet, they may wonder what else you lied about.

If they deny you, then they do. Just tell them upfront b/c the last thing you want to do is pay for a credit check, etc., THEN tell them about the kitties and have them say no!

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
thing2of2|1314113054|2997375 said:
chemgirl|1314111903|2997362 said:
Circe|1314111547|2997359 said:
They're ... cats. What are they going to do, miaow the landlord into penury?

In my city, it's the exact opposite - landlords can and will evict over pets - so I always disclose, and have the fact that I'm allowed to have them written into the lease. In your case, though, I wouldn't feel an ounce of guilt: they're doing something illegal, so why on earth be the Bigger Person (TM).

As an aside, while I can understand banning large and destructive animals makes sense - I once knew a guy whose Weimaraner dug through an outside wall to create his own doggy door - I've never understood banning cats. Like, 43 cats? Illegal, ban away, it's a health hazard. Little Fluffy, though? How much damage can a single damned cat do?

Exactly! I'm even being considerate and looking at carpet free rentals to minimize any problems! How much damage can a few little cats really cause? The law does state that you can be evicted if your animal is dangerous, or you have too many and are in violation of a city bylaw. In my case, I have 3 cats and the city bylaw says to keep it under 4 without a special permit. The tenant is also liable for all damage caused by the pets, which makes perfect sense to me. I don't get why its turning in to such a problem!

Ditto Circe-I wouldn't tell either. If you point out the law to them they'll think you're a problem tenant and won't want to deal with you. !

Just to add, yes, often owners do not like tenants who know the laws! Sad, but true, if you indicate you know your rights, they might pass you over and pick someone who doesn't because a lot of landlords take advantage of their renters.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
MC|1314295552|2999383 said:
Well, we just moved last month and the owners of the house didn't want cats, but when we told them we had one, they just required a pet deposit. I don't think it's a good idea to lie. Cats can be difficult to hide especially since they sit up on window sills, etc., and even if they cannot discriminate, the landlord/management co. can kick you out for lying. And you know, if you lie about a pet, they may wonder what else you lied about.

If they deny you, then they do. Just tell them upfront b/c the last thing you want to do is pay for a credit check, etc., THEN tell them about the kitties and have them say no!

Actually they can't. I consulted my lawyer and apparently I can move in anywhere I want with the cats and the landlord can't do anything about it. There can only be an eviction due to animals if the animal in question is deemed dangerous by the city rental board or I am in violation of a local bylaw. They would have to make a case to the rental board in order to evict us and lying about pets is not a valid case. If I don't default on a payment, it would be virtually impossible to evict me. The rental laws are pretty strict here.

I agree that talking to the landlord is the right thing to do, but again, I shouldn't actually have to based on local pet laws.

ETA: They actually can't charge an application fee or for a credit check here. Once an application is approved and the lease signed they can do absolutely nothing about the cats. It sucks to be a landlord here!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results