shape
carat
color
clarity

Moonstone help please

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone---

I have been in search of a high quality blue sheen moonstone, and I am working with an online vendor who is helping me source one. He has presented me with some promising looking options so far, but I wanted to ask for your opinions first. :wavey:

Here are the photos of the first stone I am considering:
moonstone1a.jpg
moonstone1b.jpg
moonstone1c.jpg
It is 3.34ct. I prefer the slightly deeper color of this stone's flash, but it looks like the flash does not extend fully throughout the body of the stone.

Here is the second stone, which is 2.4ct.
moonstone2.jpg
moonstone2b.jpg
moonstone2c.jpg
I like the spread of the blue flash, but it is a shallower stone and the flash appears lighter.

This vendor is based overseas, so I would like to avoid having to ship the stones back and forth.

Does anyone have any advice on what to ask the vendor?
Would you recommend either of these stones, or should I continue my search?

Thank you all!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi there :wavey:
Of course take what I say with a grain of salt, since I am not a moonstone expert :) But if it were me, I would prefer a stronger blue "sheen" to show in various lighting situations.

Here are some nice ones that Brad at TGT has (don't know your budget, so feel free to ignore if these don't appeal to you/are over budget)

http://www.thegemtrader.com/Dec15RMoonPage.htm
http://www.thegemtrader.com/Nov%2008%20MMoonstone%20Page.htm

The carved one is unique, but by an incredible stone designer.

Here's another option (JuliaB on etsy, who is a well known vendor) has some moonstones and could probably provide a variety of pics. If you are in the US this would get rid of the problem with sending overseas
https://www.etsy.com/listing/216463625/blue-sheen-moonstone-cabochons-from-sri?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=blue%20sheen%20moonstone&ref=sr_gallery_4

Hope this helps!

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I would go for your second one op. Both of yours in my opinion are much better then the ones linked (although they are beautiful).

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Hi, lovedogs! Thank you for the input! :wavey: Moonstone expert or not, it is always helpful to hear what others find pleasing to the eye :)

Ah, that first rainbow moonstone from TGT is so neat. While I am looking specifically for a blue sheen moonstone (orthoclase) for this project, I might bookmark that stone for the future.

I would love to find a US based dealer, but I have been combing the internet and have yet to find any with moonstones that have the characteristics I am looking for (transparent base, full-bodied medium/royal blue base if possible). ACS had a few that caught my eye, but they didn't quite have everything I was looking for. Thank you for reminding me to check with JuliaB.

theredspinel said:
I would go for your second one op. Both of yours in my opinion are much better then the ones linked (although they are beautiful).

theredspinel, thank you! Do you mind elaborating on why you prefer the second one? I am fairly new to moonstones, so I would be interested to hear why you find it more favorable. :)

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Exactly what type are you after? There's orthoclase, then there's the so called 'rainbow moonstone' which is a clear feldspar. The ones pictures are feldspar. It does matter IMO.

Are you treatment adverse? If so, know that these stones can be oiled, sometimes dyed, sometimes even dye injected. There are other treatments, as well but oiling is one that I've come across the most.

Always ask about treatment so you at least know what you're getting.

If I haven't freaked you out yet, another thing to pay attention to is how centered the flash is. You want as centered as possible. A strong blue flash is nice, and if you don't MIND any other rainbow colors, that of course is good too. Strong blue (blue to bluish purple) seems to be the more expensive and rare for these stones, and a strong rainbow is of course very expensive too.

The broader the flash, the more expensive of course, and the cleaner the stone, the more you pay for it. The flash should be as broad and even as possible throughout the stone. The body of the stone should be as clean, no nicks or abrasions, also look to see if how clean the stone is too. You shouldn't see anything obstructing the flash. For cabs or sugarloafs, the back of the stone should be nice and flat.

IMO the stone shown is ok as long as you don't pay a lot for it. The flash is ok but be very careful how much they ask you for it.

I've seen some being asked for as high as 100+dollars /ct, and at that price, be very discerning. The one Brad is selling is nice. I'd have to see it in hand (he's got a good return policy right??) they look different faceted but I do like how broad the rainbow is there. But facted rainbow moonstone doesn't appeal to everyone. I think they're very pretty though.

Most of them though, you should be able to get them for far less. However if you're really unsure, it may be best to stick to a source close to you. A good clean stone, good flash, should cost 50 or less per ct.

The ones that Julia has may well be Orthoclase. Those tend to have this very telltale silvery sheen to the body along with the blue flash. (which means they could well be orthoclase moonstone but always best to ask).The flash however is not as great and not as centered but orthoclase is more expensive anyway. I've never seen a clear bodied orthoclase moonstone, but that doesn't exactly mean much...lol.

BTW I'm NOT an expert, I've just seen and studied a few so I can at least tell what the heck I was looking at.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Arcadian|1459193893|4012150 said:
Exactly what type are you after? There's orthoclase, then there's the so called 'rainbow moonstone' which is a clear feldspar. The ones pictures are feldspar. It does matter IMO.

Are you treatment adverse? If so, know that these stones can be oiled, sometimes dyed, sometimes even dye injected. There are other treatments, as well but oiling is one that I've come across the most.

Always ask about treatment so you at least know what you're getting.

If I haven't freaked you out yet, another thing to pay attention to is how centered the flash is. You want as centered as possible. A strong blue flash is nice, and if you don't MIND any other rainbow colors, that of course is good too. Strong blue (blue to bluish purple) seems to be the more expensive and rare for these stones, and a strong rainbow is of course very expensive too.

The broader the flash, the more expensive of course, and the cleaner the stone, the more you pay for it. The flash should be as broad and even as possible throughout the stone. The body of the stone should be as clean, no nicks or abrasions, also look to see if how clean the stone is too. You shouldn't see anything obstructing the flash. For cabs or sugarloafs, the back of the stone should be nice and flat.

IMO the stone shown is ok as long as you don't pay a lot for it. The flash is ok but be very careful how much they ask you for it.

I've seen some being asked for as high as 100+dollars /ct, and at that price, be very discerning. The one Brad is selling is nice. I'd have to see it in hand (he's got a good return policy right??) they look different faceted but I do like how broad the rainbow is there. But facted rainbow moonstone doesn't appeal to everyone. I think they're very pretty though.

Most of them though, you should be able to get them for far less. However if you're really unsure, it may be best to stick to a source close to you. A good clean stone, good flash, should cost 50 or less per ct.

The ones that Julia has may well be Orthoclase. Those tend to have this very telltale silvery sheen to the body along with the blue flash. (which means they could well be orthoclase moonstone but always best to ask).The flash however is not as great and not as centered but orthoclase is more expensive anyway. I've never seen a clear bodied orthoclase moonstone, but that doesn't exactly mean much...lol.

BTW I'm NOT an expert, I've just seen and studied a few so I can at least tell what the heck I was looking at.

Great info, Arcadian! You just taught me tons in a short time, that's why I love this forum :)

arabella

Shiny_Rock
I know very little about moonstone, but when I read your post it reminded me of this moonstone I saw for sale a while back on the Gems & Cabs FB page. It's not orthoclase though, it's "albitic feldspar." I know from a quick google search that both orthoclase and this stone are feldspar, just different types. What kind of pros/cons would this stone have compared to an orthoclase moonstone? It's 11.5 cts, $800. I don't know anything about pricing on moonstone so I can't comment there. It's very pretty, IMO.

I don't know if it's what you're looking for blushpeony (regarding size/price), but I thought I'd add it here to see if you're interested and to see what others who know more about moonstone think. I'll let someone with more knowledge advise you about the stones you posted ;-)

_36872.jpg

_36873.jpg

theredspinel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
True rainbow moonstone is clear labrodite with the colours of the rainbow in it. Blue sheen moonstone is orthoclase. Both orthoclase and labrodite (as well as some others) are all from the family of feldspar. Orthoclase is considered the most prized hence is technically 'worth' more in monitary terms.

However ofcourse you can get beautiful gem quality labrodite and pay hundreds more then blah quality orthoclase.

Op, I prefer your second picture purely because I would choose a lighter (but still strong) blue sheen that coveres the whole stone then a deeper blue that doesn't. Are the prices similar?

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Hi Arcadian. Thank you so much for your detailed response! To answer a few of your questions, I am looking for a blue sheen moonstone (orthoclase instead of labradorite) with a transparent base and a strong, evenly distributed blue flash. The vendor has assured me that these stones are untreated. I have asked for a comparison shot of the two stones in question, and hopefully the additional pictures will give me a better idea of the distribution of flash in each stone.

Thank you for giving me a better idea of cost for these stones, as well. This vendor is asking for ~$100/ct, so I wanted to make sure that these were of higher quality, and not just average blue sheen moonstones I could easily find online.
I'll be sure to keep all of your advice in mind as I continue the search for my moonstone! :wavey:

arabella said:
I know very little about moonstone, but when I read your post it reminded me of this moonstone I saw for sale a while back on the Gems & Cabs FB page. It's not orthoclase though, it's "albitic feldspar." I know from a quick google search that both orthoclase and this stone are feldspar, just different types. What kind of pros/cons would this stone have compared to an orthoclase moonstone? It's 11.5 cts, $800. I don't know anything about pricing on moonstone so I can't comment there. It's very pretty, IMO.

I don't know if it's what you're looking for blushpeony (regarding size/price), but I thought I'd add it here to see if you're interested and to see what others who know more about moonstone think. I'll let someone with more knowledge advise you about the stones you posted ;-)

arabella, I definitely appreciate your input! I have never heard of albitic feldspar, so I may have to do some more research on it :) While the stone you posted is larger than I am looking for (somewhere around 11x8mm for a RHR), I agree that it is very pretty!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
http://www.gia.edu/moonstone-description

Thats an excellent source.

I don't think the ones you posed were what I would consider high quality. They're good quality but my honest opinion I think 100/ct too much.

The one posted by arabella is 69 bucks a ct and IMO looks to have a much broader blue to it (blue to purple is desirable)

Id like to see more of it frankly!!

Also don't go by ct weight, go by the measured size. When it comes to cabs, weight also goes into the height of the stone, so sometimes you can't always take that into acct.

How did you plan on setting the stone?

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
theredspinel said:
True rainbow moonstone is clear labrodite with the colours of the rainbow in it. Blue sheen moonstone is orthoclase. Both orthoclase and labrodite (as well as some others) are all from the family of feldspar. Orthoclase is considered the most prized hence is technically 'worth' more in monitary terms.

However ofcourse you can get beautiful gem quality labrodite and pay hundreds more then blah quality orthoclase.

Op, I prefer your second picture purely because I would choose a lighter (but still strong) blue sheen that coveres the whole stone then a deeper blue that doesn't. Are the prices similar?

Hi, theredspinel---thank you for the clarification on why you prefer stone #2! The vendor got back to me and said that both stones have about the same amount of blue shiller throughout the body (he said they both cover over 50% of the stone's face), but stone #1's is a bit more royal blue in color. I am currently awaiting comparison pics, which I hope will help.

The prices are similar, in that they are about $100/ct. They face up similarly in size, per the vendor, but stone #1 is deeper (therefore heavier) and costs $50 more.

Arcadian said:

I don't think the ones you posed were what I would consider high quality. They're good quality but my honest opinion I think 100/ct too much.

The one posted by arabella is 69 bucks a ct and IMO looks to have a much broader blue to it (blue to purple is desirable)

Also don't go by ct weight, go by the measured size. When it comes to cabs, weight also goes into the height of the stone, so sometimes you can't always take that into acct.

I appreciate your honest opinion, Arcadian! :) Perhaps I should continue my search online for a more affordable stone.

I intend to use the stone in a RHR, but I'd like a stone size that would not overwhelm my size 4.5 finger.

arabella

Shiny_Rock
blushpeony|1459201839|4012231 said:
arabella, I definitely appreciate your input! I have never heard of albitic feldspar, so I may have to do some more research on it :) While the stone you posted is larger than I am looking for (somewhere around 11x8mm for a RHR), I agree that it is very pretty!

You're welcome! Yeah, it's about 20x13mm. It would make a pretty pendant though but I would much rather be able to look at it all the time.

Arcadian said:

There's a video of it... I think it's ok to post a link to it? Here it is: https://www.facebook.com/david.cooley.336/videos/812311225502592/

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The first and second photos of the 2.4 carat stone look over enhanced in color. Why are his fingers hot pink and the stone calipers blue?

Siameseroo

Brilliant_Rock
Have you tried Barry Bridgestock? I have some lovely blue sheen moonstone from him.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
TL|1459223217|4012397 said:
The first and second photos of the 2.4 carat stone look over enhanced in color. Why are his fingers hot pink and the stone calipers blue?
I noticed this too; so in the end, the two moonstones being considered might be of around the same quality. Nice, but not WOW! It sounds like she wants a WOW moonstone though, so I would keep looking.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
arabella|1459203392|4012243 said:
blushpeony|1459201839|4012231 said:

You're welcome! Yeah, it's about 20x13mm. It would make a pretty pendant though but I would much rather be able to look at it all the time.

Arcadian said:

There's a video of it... I think it's ok to post a link to it? Here it is: https://www.facebook.com/david.cooley.336/videos/812311225502592/
thanks for the video

:love: :love: :love: :love: Thats beautiful and it looks very nicely cut indeed... Oh yeah I do a ring considering I'm a member of the big finger club ( I wear a 8.5, so I got finger space :shock: :bigsmile: )

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Hi there---

Thank you all for the recent replies. Sorry for the delayed response--I worked the last two days and did not have time to sit down and respond to everyone. :wavey:
TL said:
I noticed this as well, TL. I've recently requested a side-by-side photo of the two stones, so I hope the new photos will look more true-to-life.
ricezo said:
Have you tried Barry Bridgestock? I have some lovely blue sheen moonstone from him.
Hi, ricezo. I did consider a stone by him, but ended up wanting something a little larger than what he offered. I have not completely ruled that stone out, so I'm glad to hear you had a positive experience buying moonstone from him. Would you happen to have any pics of your moonstone?
Chrono said:
TL|1459223217|4012397 said:
I noticed this too; so in the end, the two moonstones being considered might be of around the same quality. Nice, but not WOW! It sounds like she wants a WOW moonstone though, so I would keep looking.
Chrono, you are totally right. :D I guess am looking for a WOW moonstone, so it looks like I may need to be more patient in my search.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results