shape
carat
color
clarity

Moody stones: Post them here!

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Wow! That's an amazing range of colours!

I have to say that the range of background colours (presumably all the same skin) suggests inconsistent exposure and white balance. Do these colours match what you see?

Yes, these are the colors I see under different lights. Best I can remember… bathroom, bathroom, daylight, airport, airport, back porch light, bedroom, back porch light, morning daylight, front porch light, morning daylight, back porch light, back porch light, the rest are afternoon daylight (IIRC). But I may have gotten some of them mixed up. This stone is crazy.

Leibish website IMG_0584.jpeg

David Klass glamour shot
IMG_1976.jpeg

On some styrofoam
IMG_1824.jpeg

Plum hand towel
IMG_1684.jpeg
Here is how it looks most often
IMG_1606.jpeg

And then in bright sunlight under just the right angle… matte black
IMG_2002.jpeg

GIA says dark brown pink. IMHO there is purple in nearly every light. My understanding is that GIA does not list color modifiers if they make up less than 15% - that is one explanation for not listing purple.

I took a chance based on Leibish’s excellent photography, customer service, and return policy. Here is a still from their video. This is the image that sold me… I see pink, orange, brown, and purple.
IMG_0587.jpeg

I was so happy to find that notwithstanding the lack of purple modifier in the report, this diamond is more burgundy than maroon.

I am going to check the rating on my front porch light and then carry a flashlight around in that particular wavelength because no way did I expect to see that kind of purple. :lol:

IMG_1715.jpeg

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Yes, these are the colors I see under different lights. Best I can remember… bathroom, bathroom, daylight, airport, airport, back porch light, bedroom, back porch light, morning daylight, front porch light, morning daylight, back porch light, back porch light, the rest are afternoon daylight (IIRC). But I may have gotten some of them mixed up. This stone is crazy.

Leibish website IMG_0584.jpeg

David Klass glamour shot
IMG_1976.jpeg

On some styrofoam
IMG_1824.jpeg

Plum hand towel
IMG_1684.jpeg
Here is how it looks most often
IMG_1606.jpeg

And then in bright sunlight under just the right angle… matte black
IMG_2002.jpeg

GIA says dark brown pink. IMHO there is purple in nearly every light. My understanding is that GIA does not list color modifiers if they make up less than 15% - that is one explanation for not listing purple.

I took a chance based on Leibish’s excellent photography, customer service, and return policy. Here is a still from their video. This is the image that sold me… I see pink, orange, brown, and purple.
IMG_0587.jpeg

I was so happy to find that notwithstanding the lack of purple modifier in the report, this diamond is more burgundy than maroon.

I am going to check the rating on my front porch light and then carry a flashlight around in that particular wavelength because no way did I expect to see that kind of purple. :lol:

IMG_1715.jpeg

Thank you! Amazing stone!

As others on this thread have noted, red/pink/purple garnets are notoriously shifty. I'm thinking that this stone may have a similar absorption spectrum, though no doubt for different reasons. It's very impressive to see these shifts in a diamond.

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks! I don’t want to hijack the thread but have read some interesting articles from GIA on color shifts in pinks. blues, violets, and greys.

Here’s a fun pic:

C6693C1B-8E5B-4AC9-8807-19EE1F66502D.jpeg

Sat on a picnic table and turned 180 degrees.
:lol:
Great example!

I'm thinking this may be one of the articles you mentioned:
https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/s...-blue-gray-violet-diamonds-allure-of-the-deep

Note the section titled Hydrogen, especially Figure 6 and Figure 7. This seems to fit your stone very well. See also Figure 12, which says that in almost all violet-ish diamonds, the colour is caused by hydrogen defects.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
Great example!

I'm thinking this may be one of the articles you mentioned:
https://www.gia.edu/gems-gemology/s...-blue-gray-violet-diamonds-allure-of-the-deep

Note the section titled Hydrogen, especially Figure 6 and Figure 7. This seems to fit your stone very well. See also Figure 12, which says that in almost all violet-ish diamonds, the colour is caused by hydrogen defects.

Thanks for taking the time :) So the violet (i.e dark purple) seen under certain lighting conditions could be hydrogen lattice defect... The brown-pink seen almost all the time could be graining typically seen in many pink diamonds? When it turns black it is almost like having two polarized lenses at 90 degree angles. Maybe the hydrogen defect and the graining are “interfering” somehow? Anyway I bought this stone because ooo pretty but the science is kind of interesting.

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is a spinel band I bought off LT, it is quite the moody one but most of the time I see it as light pink/periwinkle shade.

131E97CC-A4A8-48B3-AE84-2FFA4DBD1A2F.jpeg

0959AA06-0F8F-499B-A7AE-AC6B673B2D17.jpeg

C0E3BD92-6961-4616-9122-FAC300E0A527.jpeg

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
oncrutchesrightnow, that thing is nuts. As in amazing, never boring, find another one like it nuts.

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
IMG_0235.jpeg

IMG_0236.jpeg

Thats also a very moody no heat sapphire. Very tiny bit milky and goes as more intense blue as more sun he gets. Very unusual "behave"!

I'm obsessed with this sapphire. I've been chasing it's equivalent for what feels like forever. Hopefully, I'll find one someday because this is right up there for me in perfection:love:

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Thank you all for humoring me! :lol:

Three favorite photos:

C225EA70-D9E5-4ABC-A59C-19D410281244.jpeg

This is one of the coolest stones around- it's like having at least five looks at any one time in one ring. Any stone lover would flip!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
But I'll start. Here's my opal. Opals love directional light. Top, hero pic in light from a distant window - soft but directional (see shadow). Below, under a cloudy sky. Still shows colour, but much less vivid and lively.
OpalComp.jpg

@Starstruck8 Piggybacking on a convo in another thread - I read this first website and felt like it generated more questions than it answered -
http://opalsociety.org/opal_cutting.htm

More googling, more questionable results... But all reputable pages seem to reference this article - which I've just started to read but seems like it will (actually) answer a lot of the questions we've been tossing out. Interested in your thoughts if you have time to read it! Starts on Pg 34 - Frozen Opal Fluids and Colloidal Crystal Fire: Gem Opal Deposits in the Heart of Australia
https://www.opal.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/InColor-41-Winter-2019-complete-22142.pdf

Also attaching as a PDF in case that site isn't available:

Attachments

• InColor-41-Winter-2019-complete-22142.pdf
    14.3 MB · Views: 3

Starstruck8

Brilliant_Rock
@Starstruck8 Piggybacking on a convo in another thread - I read this first website and felt like it generated more questions than it answered -
http://opalsociety.org/opal_cutting.htm

More googling, more questionable results... But all reputable pages seem to reference this article - which I've just started to read but seems like it will (actually) answer a lot of the questions we've been tossing out. Interested in your thoughts if you have time to read it! Starts on Pg 34 - Frozen Opal Fluids and Colloidal Crystal Fire: Gem Opal Deposits in the Heart of Australia
https://www.opal.asn.au/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/InColor-41-Winter-2019-complete-22142.pdf

Also attaching as a PDF in case that site isn't available:

@yssie, I've started a new thread to avoid derailing this one:
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/how-were-opals-formed.280916/

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results