shape
carat
color
clarity

Monogram pendant -- opinions please!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock

I saw someone wearing one of these pendants, and I just loved it.

I am anti-monogram when it is someone else''s (LV, etc. -- no offense to those of you who are fans). But this just seemed so old-fashiony but yet simple and chic. The ''real'' version, however, is 600+ in 18kt YG. I''m saving for a house now, so that''s way too much (plus, it seems way too much for what it is, anyway). This is especially true since I mostly wear white metal jewelry (ss and wg). At the same time, I like to treat myself to one thing each month. Usually it is clothing, but I''ve got so much clothing and not enough room. I figured jewelry would last longer and take up less space!

Soooo...I found a site that does custom monograms -- they did this sketch for me (gratis), and can do ss, 14k in any color or combo of colors for 175-250.
For some reason I can only attach one pic at a time. I guess they changed the system -- the sketch will appear in the post below.

sonotmymonogram.jpg

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Here's the sketch. What do you think about the style/design? Is this going to be 'over' before I can even have this made? I'd appreciate your honest opinions. Thanks!!

ETA: the initials are JLG

jlgmonogram.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Ironically I have a monogram pin similar to the one in the first photo. I have never thought about wearing it on a chain. I am not sure I''d put the chain through the monogram itself, though. I''d want something on the back of the monogram for the chain to fit through. I didn''t really know these were being worn this way, but unfortunately, mine is yellow gold and I am wearing white metals now. You''re making me wonder if I could have it rhodium plated. I have the tendency to think that monogrammed items are pretty classic and do not go out of style like more trendy items do.

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
making a pin convertible sounds like a great idea, ds! I am wondering if I should ask the jeweler to add some little flourishes on either side (like in the original pic) to make the design more "round". it also seems like the style this jeweler uses will be a little more delicate in terms of the width of the letters. Here is an example that hangs from a bail (sp?). I don''t want added stones and such, but it gives an idea of the style.

cmemonogram.jpg

bluehue

Shiny_Rock
I find it difficult to see the letters. Like the scroll look though.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 10:23:39 AM
Author: bluehue
i think that''s what i like about it. it''s a beautiful design and if you look hard enough there''s meaning behind the design.
as far as trends go, i think this sort of thing comes and goes. i remember gold monogrammed stuff was all the rage when i was in middle school. then it faded and carrie w/ SATC brought it back with her carrie necklace. i say if you love it, go for it!

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I love it, it can look abstarct or like what it is...

enbcfsobe

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/21/2007 10:49:30 AM
Author: jcrow

Date: 3/21/2007 10:23:39 AM
Author: bluehue
i think that's what i like about it. it's a beautiful design and if you look hard enough there's meaning behind the design.
as far as trends go, i think this sort of thing comes and goes. i remember gold monogrammed stuff was all the rage when i was in middle school. then it faded and carrie w/ SATC brought it back with her carrie necklace. i say if you love it, go for it!
this was what I loved -- i sat there and tried not to stare at this woman's necklace, trying to figure out if it was just pretty filligree-type designs, or a monogram. i could always make it into a lapel-type pin (as ds2006 has) if i decide that wearing it as a pendant is passe. i wear suits enough that it could still be something i would use often.

any thoughts on adding extra swirls next to the J and L on either side for "roundness" purposes?

i'm also having second thoughts as to metal color. while i wear mostly white metal now, gold seems to be getting increasingly popular. i also wonder whether it might look more "classic" or stand out more (esp. against my very pale skin) in a warmer tone. at the same time, i wonder how it would look in sterling with a little bit of a patina to it? that might make it look more antiquey. any thoughts?

thanks, all!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results