shape
carat
color
clarity

Money Clips....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

My husbands birthday is fast approaching & I'm a bit stumped as to what to get him this year. I started looking at money clips & you know, there arent any that knock me out.
I have a few questions:

My 1st one is about durability. Which one is stronger? I have found Sterling Silver (Dolan & Bullock), Titanium (Edward Mirell Cable-Black Ti), & Stainless steel (Colibri). One maul jeweler said to just buy stainless, its the strongest. Also, its the heaviest. Not sure if my husband wants to feel like he's got 2 dozen quarters in his pocket. LOL Also, Montblanc's Black Onyx Meisterstuck (with plat. plating) uses brass as its base metal. Is this durable? This same one has black onyx. Is this a fairly strong stone? My husband is pretty good with respecting his things. I dont have a problem buying the Montblanc if I get the nod that its a good one. Sooo, is titanium the way to go for strength & lightweight? Or is brass the best? Or what??? Can you tell I'm confused.
19.gif

Thinking I might want to get him cuff links & a tie bar....although matching cuff links, not too many have Tie bars. I dont want a tie tac, puts holes in the tie. ;-) Montblanc has all 3 that match.

Any vendors here deal with any of those brands?

My 2nd question is, can Sterling Silver be Rhodium or Platinum plated? Silver seems soft, but maybe for accessories they make it tough. Anyway, I dont like that aged color it can get. Besides, I think silver scratches easiest of all the options.

I'll try to provide pics...all have a cable look, except for Montblanc...

Thoughts???

Judy
:)

72_1--Dolan&BullockTieBar-Silver.jpg

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Colibri...stainless steel....pretty hefty...

Judy

Colibri---stainlessSteel#LMC103200.gif

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Edward Mirell, havent seen this in person, but if its like any other titanium I''ve held, should be lighter weight than the rest. A vendor mentioned the rectangular peice at the bottom is pretty small & would not dig into my husbands groin (whew!). LOL

EM-Black-Ti-Cable--Titanium.gif

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Montblanc....the more upscale looking...but also comes with a higher pricetag...

Montblanc-BlackOnyx-Meisterstuck--MoneyClip.jpg

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok, couldnt load the Colibri....and my post couldnt be posted..sooooooo lets try again....

The Colibri one is found at www . executivegiftshoppe . com

- on left menu.. click on Money Clips
- click on Stainless Steel option...3rd row, 1st item
- item is called Black Ice & Stainless Steel --2nd row, 1st item

Judy

Regular Guy

Ideal_Rock
Not exactly a non-sequitur...I take it your fella uses these now?

If not...I don''t get the functionality. Unless he likes to flash his cash...I find a bill fold...identical in "basic" functionality, while providing a simple protective sheath (this is not a sexual comment), most helpful. Others are found here, but I find mine at a kiosk at the mall.

Sorry, I buy Timex, too. Maybe I need to find another forum.

Regards,

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
So long as it is made from a single piece I don''t think you can go wrong. A lot of the Dolan and Bulloch pieces have the back welded in place, so it breaks.

go for somthing that looks like it was made from one piece folded over and I think he''ll be able to use it forever. otherwise you''ll be looking for a replacement next year.

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank Ira for posting. He doesnt use a money clip now but has in the past mentioned he would like to get one. He isnt mister money bags (especially when I dig my hand in...lol), & he just folds up his bills & sticks it in his pocket. He had his wallet stolen when he was younger & wont put anything in his back pocket. He doent like the bill fold in the front, he says it digs in.
28.gif
And forget the jacket pocket, he almost never wears one. ** exasperated sigh ** This gift is entirely NOT practical I know. And on top of that, I want to buy cuff links & a tie bar...something he would use maybe once a year. I know he''s drooling over the new Toyota Tundra, Nissan Altima, or the Infinity G35.....neither of which he will find wrapped up for his birthday.
25.gif

Judy

ccuheartnurse

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Never realized about the welding issue...wonder if titanium is made that way.........the salesgirl I spoke with yesterday had no idea she even carried Edward Mirell....so I may have to call the company. LOL I guess I would notice the welding at that back? I''ll have to go out today & take a look more closely, including the Montblanc one.

Thank you for the heads up. I appreciate it.

Judy

bujiatang

Rough_Rock
my pleasure.

I think D&B also have a matched set of bracelet, moneyclip, and cufflinks in stainless and 18k. I haven't seen the moneyclip but the cufflinks look sweet.

JulieN

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
silver is whiter than rhodium

get an anti tarnish and polishing cloth

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
Tiffany''s makes some nice ones.

The silver will age and get worn but I think it looks nice that way.

golden

Shiny_Rock
Montblanc has very nice money clips. I have purchased 2 different ones from there for my boyfriend- the mother of pearl one, which they still carry and the hemotite which was discontinued. I was looking recently to get him a new one, I was looking at the platinum with onyx inlay. If you go to their website and look under "MEISTERSTÜCK SOLITAIRE", you will see the onyx as well as the mother of pearl.

golden

Shiny_Rock
I just saw that ccuheartnurse already posted a picture of the Montblanc platinum with onyx inlay, that is the one I was talking about! I like that one a lot. The hemotite was my favorite, I wonder why they discontinued it.....

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
DH has had stainless ones in the past...but for some reason always misplaces/loses them!
7.gif
My father has always used a plain ol'' rubber band, lol! But he likes to carry lots of cash (unfortunately, we are always worried he''ll get mugged).

I love Tiffany''s selection, they have some beautiful ones! I would think that sterling, though, for a money clip and with everyday wear and tear would not hold up more than a couple of years. I do agree with DiamondFan that T''s sterling wears nicely and I like that it doesn''t look "brand new" after gaining some wear. You can always use silver cleaner or have it polished at the store, although I think they do charge a nominal fee to polish silver. (meaning buff out the scratches)

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
My brother has one by Tiffany. He Loves it, uses it every day.

Linda

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
i saw a nice leather one the other day. it had magnetic closure. the back had a slot for drivers license-credit card. it was available in colors also. i have racked my brain for the maker but can''t pull it up.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results