shape
carat
color
clarity

Modest(ish) Rubies

M

maru8888777

Dear all,

I've really enjoyed learning from @Lilith112's search for rubies, and from the input of @Autumn in New England, @VividRed, @voce and others. I was wondering, for a more modest budget, where would you search for rubies? Yvonne has a few, the Rare Gemstone Company has a few, and I wondered about their quality. I'm in no rush to buy anything, but wanted to keep an eye out for good quality rubies (fluorescence is important to me, but not origin, and I don't mind pinkish stones but prefer red or at least reddish pinks). There's another seller called Gem Gardener on etsy that has some vintage rings that seem beautiful, though not what I'm looking for. Any input on where to search? Thank you!

Dear all,

I've really enjoyed learning from @Lilith112's search for rubies, and from the input of @Autumn in New England, @VividRed, @voce and others. I was wondering, for a more modest budget, where would you search for rubies? Yvonne has a few, the Rare Gemstone Company has a few, and I wondered about their quality. I'm in no rush to buy anything, but wanted to keep an eye out for good quality rubies (fluorescence is important to me, but not origin, and I don't mind pinkish stones but prefer red or at least reddish pinks). There's another seller called Gem Gardener on etsy that has some vintage rings that seem beautiful, though not what I'm looking for. Any input on where to search? Thank you!

I actually was just going to suggest Etsy... the reason being is that you may find a collector selling off their stones. As long as it comes with a cert from a reputable lab or the return policy (a must in any event) is generous enough to allow you to have it certified yourself, then you may find a decent deal over there for above average quality. Buying from cutters, renowned vendors, bigger box companies, and concierge services is always going to up the price-point. Of course, with that, also comes a better selection of high-end stones. But for more moderate pricing, yeah, definitely try Etsy.

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
My regular jeweller based in Singapore is reasonable and has a good eye.

His IG:

Very honest, always advise to certify with local lab before purchase if no decent cert (and sometimes we recert those with brand name certs anyway just to check), and fully understands why a no treatment ruby is important.

Some of my ruby purchases from him:
99560B4A-FDCB-461A-BF05-97736CDB6A60.jpeg

FWIW the pinkish ruby has the strongest fluoro. Which makes it go pink under the sun like you see in the pic. But I realised that I mostly only see my stones out of the sun anyway so over time my requirement for strong fluoro has gone down and requirement for color/vivid red ( I.e. red with no secondary colors) has gone up.

M

maru8888777

My regular jeweller based in Singapore is reasonable and has a good eye.

His IG:

Very honest, always advise to certify with local lab before purchase if no decent cert (and sometimes we recert those with brand name certs anyway just to check), and fully understands why a no treatment ruby is important.

Some of my ruby purchases from him:
99560B4A-FDCB-461A-BF05-97736CDB6A60.jpeg

FWIW the pinkish ruby has the strongest fluoro. Which makes it go pink under the sun like you see in the pic. But I realised that I mostly only see my stones out of the sun anyway so over time my requirement for strong fluoro has gone down and requirement for color/vivid red ( I.e. red with no secondary colors) has gone up.

Thank you! The store I've been eyeing (GemGardener) is in Singapore too. Does your jeweler ship to the US? I love all he's made for you and my, that's quite the ruby collection!

icy_jade

Ideal_Rock
Thank you! The store I've been eyeing (GemGardener) is in Singapore too. Does your jeweler ship to the US? I love all he's made for you and my, that's quite the ruby collection!

He probably can fedex over. But… I think no returns, so best to check w him. He also gets a lot of weird online queries and requests that goes no where so maybe mention you know me (Icyjade from PS) if you are serious about something. Like, don’t ask to buy a 5 ct Burmese ruby for 10k.

M

maru8888777

He probably can fedex over. But… I think no returns, so best to check w him. He also gets a lot of weird online queries and requests that goes no where so maybe mention you know me (Icyjade from PS) if you are serious about something. Like, don’t ask to buy a 5 ct Burmese ruby for 10k.

That makes sense! I'll think about things long and hard before contacting him, and if so, it'll be a serious request.

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I’m in the same boat! I just made my very first ruby purchase recently…and it was not easy :???:

It is a tiny stone (I wanted a test stone to see what I like/don’t like in a ruby). I chose a sub-1 carat stone, supposedly “pigeon blood” color (it leans pink to me IRL), no heat/no treatment. I am not totally satisfied with it (undisclosed inclusions) but I figure it will only help me in my quest for a good ruby. I found the stone on Etsy but feel like I will need to work with a gemstone concierge for my HG ruby.

I can’t quite get the color correct on my iPhone, but here it is in shade/light next to a sapphire.
D2E7EB1C-2372-4717-870C-2A07D1BEC5FE.jpeg
62F2E235-A8EE-43DA-981F-1AA3CBB80AA7.jpeg
37B2B289-D1A8-453B-A2A7-E324C4847F51.jpeg

I’m in the same boat! I just made my very first ruby purchase recently…and it was not easy :???:

It is a tiny stone (I wanted a test stone to see what I like/don’t like in a ruby). I chose a sub-1 carat stone, supposedly “pigeon blood” color (it leans pink to me IRL), no heat/no treatment. I am not totally satisfied with it (undisclosed inclusions) but I figure it will only help me in my quest for a good ruby. I found the stone on Etsy but feel like I will need to work with a gemstone concierge for my HG ruby.

I can’t quite get the color correct on my iPhone, but here it is in shade/light next to a sapphire.

Have you considered a toi et moi with your new ruby and that sapphire? I think they would look smashing! It's quite a pretty stone, even if it's not your HG. :)

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Have you considered a toi et moi with your new ruby and that sapphire? I think they would look smashing! It's quite a pretty stone, even if it's not your HG. :)

Thank you @Autumn in New England !! I am planning to make stacking rings with my tiny gems so I could wear the two together! Knowing you think it’s pretty makes me feel better about the purchase ::)

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock

Lovely ruby! May I ask where got it, please?

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Lovely ruby! May I ask where got it, please?

Hi @VividRed - I got it from same Etsy store that Avondale got hers from. Not going to mention them directly, as I seem to have experienced the same issue that Avondale did - an undisclosed fracture (or is it inclusion? I do not know all the proper terms).

I specifically asked if there was any other blemish on the ruby (I saw a small pit on the back) and they didn’t mention anything. When I contacted them about the crack after receiving it (not sure if my photo shows it well enough), they said they missed the message and they thought their videos/photos showed it. They obviously did not, as I was quite surprised upon receipt. Attaching convo so you can judge for yourself.
7224C5DA-1883-493C-AD4F-78D94729989C.jpeg
0953DCCA-01A8-4F30-B85A-F6B68DE58C9A.jpeg

OP sorry for the threadjack, I hope you can find a good ruby in your price range!

ETA: stone is on the way to jeweler to determine if the fracture will pose an issue when setting.

Last edited:

Avondale

Brilliant_Rock
I got it from same Etsy store that Avondale got hers from.

I knew it looked familiar! :lol: I've spent a decent amount of time browsing their Etsy page.

But now that you've confirmed it, I'm thinking maybe it would make sense to have a feedback thread about the vendor here on PS.

To get back to the main subject of this thread, as someone who was shopping for ruby on a budget quite recently - yes, etsy is a good option. You pay with PP and make use of their buyer protection. You just need to make sure to ask all the important questions beforehand so that if what you receive is not what was advertised, you can get your money back.

Another thing that's not yet mentioned is that you need to decide what you can compromise on. If fluorescence is important (well of course it is) you're very likely to end up with a ruby from Burma whether origin is important to you or not. And then that origin will add to the price. So do you go down in size, or do you accept treatments? Maybe compromise on clarity instead. That sort of stuff.

Best of luck with your search! =)

M

maru8888777

Thank you everyone for the replies! I've heard that rubies from certain regions in Mozambique can fluoresce, too, which is why I was looking for rubies from the Rare Gemstone Company. Yvonne has a ruby from Afghanistan that is weirdly bi-colored that I find mesmerizing (if imperfect) and also fluoresces. But of course, nothing like a Burmese ruby... I think Inken's concierge service starts at $5000, which could be doable, but rubies seem priced higher than that....
@Eli22 I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but the ruby is quite beautiful!

Eli22

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Thank you everyone for the replies! I've heard that rubies from certain regions in Mozambique can fluoresce, too, which is why I was looking for rubies from the Rare Gemstone Company. Yvonne has a ruby from Afghanistan that is weirdly bi-colored that I find mesmerizing (if imperfect) and also fluoresces. But of course, nothing like a Burmese ruby... I think Inken's concierge service starts at $5000, which could be doable, but rubies seem priced higher than that....
@Eli22 I'm sorry you had a bad experience, but the ruby is quite beautiful!

I am very confident you will find a ruby you love! I forgot to mention, I’ve purchased gems from Tandi (@desertrose_gems on IG) before and it was great! She has a few rubies available right now and if you tell her what you’re looking for, she is quick to reply and offer choices. Not sure what size you are seeking (I note that her current rubies are on the smaller side), but might be worth a try!

Thank you for your kind words re: my ruby 8) I would also like to say, I did not have a *bad* experience, as they were perfectly friendly and responsive with photos/videos/answers. It was just an unsettling/upsetting one due to the lack of disclosure. I think more experienced buyers (or even newbies like me, armed with *all* the questions to ask) may have a different experience.

voce

Ideal_Rock
What is your tolerance as far as treatment? Size?

First thing that comes to mind is a beautiful heated with minor clarity residues by Mastercut Gems for somewhere around $1000. Unless you buy an extremely small ruby, I think you're likely to run into synthetic rubies on Etsy if you don't buy from someone like Yvonne.

Second thing that comes to mind is that Gemfix has some nice rubies for a reasonable price, in a higher price range, if you feel your budget will be inadequate for Inken's concierge service.

M

maru8888777

What is your tolerance as far as treatment? Size?

First thing that comes to mind is a beautiful heated with minor clarity residues by Mastercut Gems for somewhere around $1000. Unless you buy an extremely small ruby, I think you're likely to run into synthetic rubies on Etsy if you don't buy from someone like Yvonne.

Second thing that comes to mind is that Gemfix has some nice rubies for a reasonable price, in a higher price range, if you feel your budget will be inadequate for Inken's concierge service.

Small rubies are fine, and heat is not ideal, but I can deal with it. I'm looking at the Gemfix rubies and they are lovely, and closer to my budget! Thank you for the tip! My favorites are more expensive than I can afford (oh, such is life), but I think I can find something suitable here :).

M

maru8888777

Has anyone ever bought from Wildfish? They have some small rubies in my budget...

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have! It was a ruby as well.
What questions can I answer?
:)

M

maru8888777

I have! It was a ruby as well.
What questions can I answer?
:)

Awesome! Are their photos representative? Do you think the prices are fair? I see some under 1ct rubies that might work... although many lean very pink.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Awesome! Are their photos representative? Do you think the prices are fair? I see some under 1ct rubies that might work... although many lean very pink.

A good amount of his listings - he says
(Or has so in the past - haven’t looked lately) ‘looks much better in person/photos aren’t exactly representative, and he goes on to explain what he sees.
This was very true in what I bought from him about 5 years ago. The ruby constantly photo’d much pinker and much more translucent/overly sleepy to almost every photo I took. Same as his listing photos. To the naked eye it was more red and more transparent, although still silky/sleepy. Just as he stated it would be.
His photos (not quite sure if it’s still same photos or not) do show a hint of the pavilion open fractures /fissures but definitely not to their entirety/full extent. This is the reason I returned the stone. The return process was extremely easy. I felt him all over very easy to deal with.

As for his prices - I feel somewhat the same about any other vendor who gives out annual/semi annual discounts. Like substantial 30-40%. Even though there was a limited number of coupons available, and than more available for subsequent purchases. (If he still even does this -idk.)
Those who have FOMO will pay his original asking price - I guess - instead of waiting.

The prices have his choice of charity donations built in. I get to tax write off money I donate, not if he donates it for me. Plus he does/used to send out a copy of a (fiction?) book he wrote.

I don’t feel good fuzzies at all about his ‘investment’ (or was it shared ownership?) offers - but don’t know much about them as I havent looked into it.

At one time - or he still may- he had a guarantee/insurance/something about one if his stones he sold to you falling apart during setting at a jeweler. Not quite sure of the ins and outs of that one either, if it still exists.

I know there are some here on PS who will never deal with him for various reasons. It’s searchable here.

If he had something I really wanted listed - I’d contact him with no issues.

Last edited:
M

maru8888777

A good amount of his listings - he says
(Or has so in the past - haven’t looked lately) ‘looks much better in person/photos aren’t exactly representative, and he goes on to explain what he sees.
This was very true in what I bought from him about 5 years ago. The ruby constantly photo’d much pinker and much more translucent/overly sleepy to almost every photo I took. Same as his listing photos. To the naked eye it was more red and more transparent, although still silky/sleepy. Just as he stated it would be.
His photos (not quite sure if it’s still same photos or not) do show a hint of the pavilion open fractures /fissures but definitely not to their entirety/full extent. This is the reason I returned the stone. The return process was extremely easy. I felt him all over very easy to deal with.

As for his prices - I feel somewhat the same about any other vendor who gives out annual/semi annual discounts. Like substantial 30-40%. Even though there was a limited number of coupons available, and than more available for subsequent purchases. (If he still even does this -idk.)
Those who have FOMO will pay his original asking price - I guess - instead of waiting.

The prices have his choice of charity donations built in. I get to tax write off money I donate, not if he donates it for me. Plus he does/used to send out a copy of a (fiction?) book he wrote.

I don’t feel good fuzzies at all about his ‘investment’ (or was it shared ownership?) offers - but don’t know much about them as I havent looked into it.

At one time - or he still may- he had a guarantee/insurance/something about one if his stones he sold to you falling apart during setting at a jeweler. Not quite sure of the ins and outs of that one either, if it still exists.

I know there are some here on PS who will never deal with him for various reasons. It’s searchable here.

If he had something I really wanted listed - I’d contact him with no issues.

This is extremely helpful, thank you! I'm happy to wait for him to have a sale/promotion, if he still does do that... I'm in no rush.

M

maru8888777

This one is heated and treated:

What do you all think?

voce

Ideal_Rock
It's hard to compare when Wildfish Gems has no video.

Visually I think 19-581 from Gemfix will give the most bang for the buck, but you have to consider whether you are bothered by treatment. All the other ones are unheated, but 19-581 was heated with minor clarity residues.

The one I liked next was the oval one from Wildfish Gems, but I couldn't help noticing how different the color appeared on the IGI report. 19-598 is close behind, but I couldn't help but notice a slight color zoning, an effect I have sometimes noticed on my own unheated Mozambique.

The Vietnamese (listing said Vietnamese, and not Tanzanian) ruby is an elongated cut and will look more pink than red, I think. It will be imo the least easy to set in a typical ladies' ring (halo, diamonds), but will be most suitable of the 4 in a man's ring.

M

maru8888777

Thank you! I really love the color of the treated Burmese, but I'm not sure if I'll feel OK about the treatment later. I wonder if Inken might have anything for this price. I liked the Oval Wildfish one because it fluoresced too, but I see what you mean about the color disparity...

VividRed

Brilliant_Rock
I dealt with Ed a few times and regularly look at his inventory. He has a lot of good material, but the pricing is list prices are, in my opinion, off. He says he prices his stones at future replacement cost plus margin. Future replacement cost means little when you don’t know future prices, other than then you as a customer will be charged a lot more than you want to pay :)

That said, he offers regular 33% discount +5% for wire transfers, which means you pay 64% of the listed price. It’s still a lot, but he does have a large inventory and lots of choice.

Overall I am happy with my purchases with him, and he is very responsive and easy to deal with. His return policy is spotless.

And his (audio)books are funny :)

M

maru8888777

Thank you @VividRed! I've never seen his discounts. I really like the oval of his I posted, but like @voce said, the pic on the report seems super different. At that price point, I do wonder if I shouldn't just contact Inken....

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results