shape
carat
color
clarity

MODERN CUT ROUND ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Daisyma02

Rough_Rock
Can an yone help me out here by telling me what a Modern cut is? I am looking at a appraisel that is about 20 Years old and states a modern cut. The Diamond is a round 1.77 ct with "D" color and SI1 Clarity and only appraises at $7,500 isn''t this really low? Any input is appreciated. Thanks

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
A "modern" cut means that it is not an older cut, like a European Cut (circa 1920-1930 or Old European Cut (circa 1905-1915), etc.

The styling of a Modern Round Brilliant Cut is usually from about 1950 to present day.

You definitely need an update on that 20 year old appraisal. If that grading is correct it's going to appraise for substantially more today.

RockDoc

Ideal_Rock
The term "Modern Cut" is a misnomer. The correct terminology is round brilliant cut ( most likely ). Round brilliant style cutting is different. The old european cut diamonds had higher crowns, smaller tables, and larger culets than the current cut stones.

In the past 20 years much has been done in improving gemological diamond grading.

You say you're 'looking' at this diamond... Does this mean you're considering buying it with a 20 year old report?

It needs to be updated, and if it doesn't have a major lab report, I would demand this be done, so you know the grading is reasonably correct.

Also consider that if this diamond is used, that you compare pricing against other used diamonds, rather than new diamonds. Used diamonds can have wear on them, i.e. nicks, chips, scratches etc.

Rockdoc

Daisyma02

Rough_Rock
Richard do you mean that it is a Older cut instead of it is not a older cut? I have been thinking of Buying this Diamond and I will Demand a new appraisel be Done. A D color would be great if it indeed is? Thanks

newenglandgemlab

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

A twenty year old appraisal is likely to have very scant information. There are appraisals done today with scant info so you can imagine. I can remember when I first started working in a small hometown jewelry store (30 years ago), the owner was a watchmaker by trade, he would write appraisals without measurements and grading using his uncorrected watchmakers loupe and no masters. everything was 'eyeball'....and these were sufficient for coverage back then. Thank goodness the trade has evolved and thank goodness for GIA and AGS reports and how the cutting grades have evolved.

Aside from that, this stone could be a 'diamond in the rough'! If it is indeed what the paper says or close to it, it could be a super buy. Just get a good independent to render the grading and appraisal and go from there. Even if the stone has some minor chips, these can be polished out. You can even have the entire stone repolished to your exacting requirements.

Cindy

DiamondOptics

Shiny_Rock
Hi Daisy...

If you decide to purchase this diamond, try to have it
GIA certified.

Kirk Konst

Richard Sherwood

Ideal_Rock
-----------
Richard do you mean that it is a Older cut instead of it is not a
older cut?
-----------

If it is described as a "modern cut", my guess is that it is not an older cut, but a post 1950 round brilliant cut, which is the basic style of cut still used today.

-----------
A D color would be great if it indeed is?
-----------

Yes indeedy. You don't get any better than "D". That's the top of the scale, considered colorless, or rare white.

As Cindy pointed out though, be aware that a lot of appraisals done 20 years ago were kind of on the "loose" side. I definitely wouldn't put any stock into it until you get it confirmed.

Hey Cindy, it's nice to have you in "the community". Another woman gemologist is just what we need to help balance out the testosterone level here a bit.

Daisyma02

Rough_Rock
I am so sorry but I do not know what a Diamond in the rough means. But I am signing up for a Course through GIA Soon as I have developed this Huge fasination with Diamonds! Oh the seller is willing to sell me this for $4500 because of a Spilt up Marriage . I guess I never mentioned the price. Thanks For all the imput.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 2/6/2003 8:33:19 AM Daisyma02 wrote:

I am so sorry but I do not know what a Diamond in the rough means.
----------------

:
(British and Australian) A rough diamond (Am diamond in the rough) is a person who is kinder and more pleasant than they seem to be from their appearance and manner.
12.gif
[/u]

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results