shape
carat
color
clarity

Mixing gem stones?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

blueauratus

Rough_Rock
Hi ladies!
I have been thinking about doing something in saphires and aquamarines since my girls where born in march and september but what do you think about mixing these two gems? Anyone have any ideas for something like this? A ring or pendant... TIA!

ma re

Ideal_Rock
For a balanced look I''d use a ceylon type sapphire (i.e. lighter blue) with a bit of violet to it, and mix it with an unheated (greenish-blue) aquamarine. As a symbol of children I think lighter colors would be more suitable, and they also mix more easily then colors of diferent tones. I''d probably do both in step cuts, so that the diference in refractive indexes (or possible level of scintillation) is not as obvious. And the possibilities of metal colors would be many - all white, all yelow, white/yellow, rose/yellow (my personal suggestion, rose for sapphire, yellow for aqua), rose/white etc. As for the design - a crossover ring would be nice, or a Y-necklace with two drops as well as many other things. I''m sure you''ll get a zillion suggestions here
9.gif

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
I''m having a ring made with a pink and blue sapphire, symbolizing my toddler son and baby daughter, so I love your idea
9.gif
My ring has a pink cushion cut and a blue elongated princess cut, both under a carat. They are custom set, beautifully arranged in a way so artistic, I don''t know how to explain it. But I''ll post pics when I get it.

I think Ma_re had some great ideas. I especially like the idea of lighter colors.

I think mixing aquamarine and sapphire is a great idea, you''ll have so much fun finding the colors. Maybe you can select the shape/color according to the girls'' different characters.

Do you like heart shapes? One idea is to select two pears of the same measurements and add them together to make up a heart shaped pedant. There are millions of options, I''m excited for you, the project sounds so nice!!!!!!!!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I saw a bracelet on the Costco site that was sapphire and aquas. I thought they looked nice together.

cmscostco1.jpg

mariedtiger

Brilliant_Rock
That''s beautiful Michelle!

blueauratus

Rough_Rock
Ooooh! Michelle I think that is lovely! Thanks for posting!
Thanks for the ideas ma re! I am really diggin the step cuts right now. Funny because I have only recently grown to like and now lust after them!

One idea is to select two pears of the same measurements and add them together to make up a heart shaped pedant. What a fantastic idea mariedtiger! I am normally not a hearts girl but I might make an acception! You ladies are all so creative!
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, off to look some more!

Harriet

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/7/2009 2:06:51 AM
Author:blueauratus
Hi ladies!
I have been thinking about doing something in saphires and aquamarines since my girls where born in march and september but what do you think about mixing these two gems? Anyone have any ideas for something like this? A ring or pendant... TIA!
I think it''s a lovely mix. Are you open to sapphires in colours other than blue? A pink sapphire - aqua combo would be pretty.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Those 2 stones go great together. A few years ago I had an oval aqua ring with blue sapphires as accents on each side.

bling addict

Brilliant_Rock
I think it would look lovely - I like the look of the bracelet catmom posted, but also like Harriet''s suggestion of pink sapphires
1.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results