shape
carat
color
clarity

Mixed feelings about JKT ring, but I got pics!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I should be receiving this by tomorrow, but I''ll be out of town till next tuesday so no hand pics till then.

These are Julia''s pics... and her sketches. I LOVED the sketches... but am having mixed feelings as I started looking at the real pics more.

The elogated-ness of the ring kinda bothers me. the sketches show a squattier version, and I really prefer that. I''m really really hoping the pictures magnified the length and it''ll look more like the sketch in person!

What do you guys think?

Sketch:

tsav diamond 3 stone 1.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
ring:

tsav diamond 3 stone 2.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
side:

tsav diamond 3 stone 3.jpg

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
other side:

tsav diamond 3 stone 4.jpg

poshpepper

Ideal_Rock
It almost looks like the proportions of the green stones to the center were not accurate in the sketch which made the split in the shank angle differently than in the finished piece (if that made any sense
33.gif
) which would contribute to the over all feeling of more length in the finished piece.
I am interested to see how you feel about it once you have it on your hand, I really like the design
1.gif

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do see a bit of a difference between the sketch and actual ring...in the sketch the metal swoops out to the sides, where as in the ring, the metal goes straight down on the sides, giving the ring a more elongated look. I''m thinking maybe she had to change the design slightly so that the metal would touch the bezel? In the sketch the bezel doesn''t appear to be attached to the metal, so maybe she had to make a slight change.

It''s a beautiful ring though! Excellent craftsmanship and lovely stones...I hope you love it when you see it in person!

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
hi fortekitty :)

i''m going to be really honest here...

i love your initial sketch. i like the underlying 4 pointed star shape (the two green stones north/south with the east west points of the metalwork). this was dependent on the smaller size of the green stones with the larger center stone.

but i think the actual ring itself has too much uniformity to the shape of the stones - giving you a ''tube like'' effect which will run north/south on your finger. to be honest, it reminds me of a set of traffic lights - which the sketch certainly did NOT. i don''t find it as organic as the sketch and don''t think it will wrap your finger as well as the sketched ring would.

the craftsmanship, of course, is wonderful, but in my opinion, the finished ring is quite different to what you thought you were getting.

love the idea, tho, and it might look fab in person....

i hope this wonderful concept works out well for you.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
It does look quite different, I think the ebzels are thicker than the sketch and it makes the three stone further apart. BUT I would wait and see how you like it in person. I think it would be a pretty cool RHR.

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock
I like the sketch much better than the real thing. The real ring looks more like "U''s" were attached to the split shank. It might look much better on though. I like the idea.

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks very different to me. I think that the double bezel on the diamond isn''t doing the design any favors, honestly. That''s adding extra length that it didn''t need...

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
I think the sketches look great and I understand your concern about the ring. It does seem to be the angle of the split that makes the difference, as the others are saying. I just got a pendant from Julia that I was worried about when I saw her pics of, but felt very differently about once it was in hand, so I hope you have the same experience. For some reason, her designs look much bulkier in photos than they do in real life.

My thread with my pedant is here. Let me know if you want to see her pics and the sketches, to compare.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Hmm... i guess it looks weird to everyone else too. It does look like a traffic light.. maybe i shoulda gotten a ruby for bottom. ;-)

This is sized for my middle finger, so i can handle a lil more length on that finger, but I was really madly in love w/ the squattiness of the sketch. I''m gonna wait to see it in person before getting disappointed. The craftsmanship looks wonderful, and Julia has been wonderful too. But what happens if I still feel that way after I see it?

Novel, can you post a picture of your sketch? I love your pendant!!

Rough_Rock
I guess I can see what everyone is saying about the elongation, but I''m not sure it''s possible to do it any other way.

If you look at the sketch, the swooping sides are not touching the bezel of the diamond, meaning that it is held up by the bezels on the green stones.

For safety purposes, I''m not sure I would like the diamond "floating" as shown in the picture.

Just being a devils-advocate! =)~

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Oh i know... i see that.
7.gif
Kinda sucks since I have a .80ct diamond that could have been used if I knew it would have helped!

eta: the center stone is only .40ct, so the pictures are very magnified. The ring size is only 4.25, so I think it will be okay in person. :) I was saving the .80ct (stone from my grandma) for a simple hovering bezel by Julia!

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think its gorgeous!

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It's a very pretty ring! I think you're right. You do need to see it in person. The photo is so close-up, it's really hard to tell its proportions. I went through the same thing with a pendant I had made. I thought it looked HUGE in the photos, but in person, it is very delicate, and I love it.

You might want to e-mail JKT and just let her know that you are a bit concerned about the proportions, but that you want to see it in person. That way she will have a heads-up that there may be an issue.

I like it! It reminds me of this style of vintage ring:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Antique-18KWG-Sapphire-Old-European-Diamond-Etch-Ring_W0QQitemZ230408588455QQcmdZViewItemQQptZVintage_Fine_Jewelry?hash=item35a56c0ca7

PumpkinPie

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 3:18:25 PM
Author: whitby_2773
hi fortekitty :)

i''m going to be really honest here...

i love your initial sketch. i like the underlying 4 pointed star shape (the two green stones north/south with the east west points of the metalwork). this was dependent on the smaller size of the green stones with the larger center stone.

but i think the actual ring itself has too much uniformity to the shape of the stones - giving you a ''tube like'' effect which will run north/south on your finger. to be honest, it reminds me of a set of traffic lights - which the sketch certainly did NOT. i don''t find it as organic as the sketch and don''t think it will wrap your finger as well as the sketched ring would.

the craftsmanship, of course, is wonderful, but in my opinion, the finished ring is quite different to what you thought you were getting.

love the idea, tho, and it might look fab in person....

i hope this wonderful concept works out well for you.

I think Whitby really explained my thoughts on the ring sketch and real life photos - I hope you end up loving it when it arrives

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/2/2010 5:40:33 PM
Author: ForteKitty
Hmm... i guess it looks weird to everyone else too. It does look like a traffic light.. maybe i shoulda gotten a ruby for bottom. ;-)

This is sized for my middle finger, so i can handle a lil more length on that finger, but I was really madly in love w/ the squattiness of the sketch. I''m gonna wait to see it in person before getting disappointed. The craftsmanship looks wonderful, and Julia has been wonderful too. But what happens if I still feel that way after I see it?

Novel, can you post a picture of your sketch? I love your pendant!!
Hey, Forte, I''m glad you like the pendant! I ended up adding the sketch to that thread for you. I do think her sketches are somewhat artistic interpretations of what the piece will end up like. As someone above me pointed out, a free floating bezel doesn''t really work. In my case, the tourmaline had a single bezel in the sketch and ended up much bulkier, which looks weird in the hand but great on the neck.

I kind of wondered also, what do you do if you''re disappointed, besides sell it if you don''t want to wear it? The thing is, I think in person its a totally different situation. Let us know what you think of it, even if you can''t post!!

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
in the sketch the ''slopes'' are at an angle, an incline, like the sides of a hill... in the finished product they are like 90* like a cliff or a U. I like the sketch better as well. But if I remember your very long fingers, I''d hold off until I had it ON before I decided.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
I'm in hawaii until next tuesday so I wont get a chance to see it till then. I wasn't going to say anything to Julia until after I see the ring, because I figured it probably looks fine in person.

However, someone decided to tell Julia that I had an issue and advised that she talk to me, and pointed her to this thread.

I really didn't want her to feel bad about her work if there is nothing wrong with it!! Now she has read all these comments and probably feels horrible about it.

Whoever you are, thanks a lot.

Burberrygirl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 1:49:24 AM
I''m in hawaii until next tuesday so I wont get a chance to see it till then. I wasn''t going to say anything to Julia until after I see the ring, because I figured it probably looks fine in person.

However, someone decided to tell Julia that I had an issue and advised that she talk to me, and pointed her to this thread.

I really didn''t want her to feel bad about her work if there is nothing wrong with it!! Now she has read all these comments and probably feels horrible about it.

Ohh no, I''m sorry! I really like the sketch and the finished ring. I hope things turn out okay and you fall in love with the ring when you finally get to see it :)

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
38.gif
38.gif
38.gif

whitby_2773

Ideal_Rock
I''m in hawaii until next tuesday so I wont get a chance to see it till then. I wasn''t going to say anything to Julia until after I see the ring, because I figured it probably looks fine in person.

I really didn''t want her to feel bad about her work if there is nothing wrong with it!! Now she has read all these comments and probably feels horrible about it.

gees louise...

i''m really sorry this happened. but fortekitty just a suggestion...when you see it, try to assess it objectively - without trying to make yourself like it for somebody else''s feelings, or disliking it before you see it because it might not match the sketches. just try to look at it completely objectively and see if *you* like it.

good luck!

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
ForteKitty -

with regards to a poster contacting Julia about your thread, it''s not the first time this has happened; it occurred with regards to a couple of my threads about her work, and with malicious intent.
A Person or Persons on here seem to think they are the PS Police when it comes to Julia;
I really hope you don''t mind, but seeing as they are likely following, I am going to post a message here asking them to cease, as they clearly have no idea how much unnecessary stress and drama they cause for JKT.
I am as protective over Julia as the next client, knowing what a good soul she is, however this transaction is between you and her - there is no need for third party intervention. I can understand completely why you are disappointed by that.

With regards to the ring - I actually just saw this one in her store yesterday and was going to go see who it belonged to as I thought it looks awesome - I love the diamond and tsavs together and think the design is very original and striking.
That said, it would never work for someone like me as I have shorter fingers...if you have the real estate, I think it will look great
1.gif

I really do believe you should wait until you can see it and try it in person - I''ve read a couple of threads now where posters have been worried about proportions of Julia''s pieces in pics, only to receive them and love the delicacy and everything else about them.

I hope this will be the outcome in your case, but if not and you truly dislike it in person, I''m sure Julia will work with you.

Please let us know what you think once you have it!
35.gif

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock
Arjunajane~ I know that person did it to stir up drama and make Julia feel bad, and i think it''s a very crappy thing to do. I''m very sorry for starting this thread.

Whitby~ I will look at the ring objectively. I actually printed out the ring in my size, taped it onto my finger... and stared at it for 5.5 hrs on my flight here. I have about 1.75 inches between my knuckles so the spread actually gives great coverage. can''t wait to see it in person!

Again, I just feel awful that Julia had to see all of this. She is wonderful to work with and didn''t deserve to have me start something like this when I haven''t even seen the ring yet.

arjunajane

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/5/2010 4:46:01 AM
Arjunajane~ I know that person did it to stir up drama and make Julia feel bad, and i think it''s a very crappy thing to do. I''m very sorry for starting this thread.

Again, I just feel awful that Julia had to see all of this. She is wonderful to work with and didn''t deserve to have me start something like this when I haven''t even seen the ring yet.

kitty, don''t beat yourself up please! I don''t think any of us can say we have not gotten paranoid at least once over the magnified images of a gem or a piece before it actually reached us..we are a picky bunch and its bound to happen!
And that''s what PS is here for, for you to ask opinions, reassurance, etc..

I sincerely do hope the person(s) who have nothing better to do than stir crap for Julia and her clients, that they grow up and move on.
JKT puts her heart and a lot of thought & sweat into each piece; she works extremely hard to deliver PS''ers our jewellery at our (very) high standards. You''re correct - she does not deserve to be stirred up for no good reason and distracted from her work - but this *is not* your fault fortekitty.

I''m glad you are looking forward to receiving your ring, and hope it works for you when it arrives.
5.gif

lknvrb4

Ideal_Rock

It is pretty sad if someone does not have anything better to do than this.
38.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh good lord-- some people have nothing better to do than stir up trouble. It's custom work from a sketch folks, not everyone is gonna adore the finished product as it isn't a 3 D cad-- heck even with CADs some folks don't like the final. Julia is great, but I'm sure she knows that there will be times when folks don't love the final outcome because of this. I had a similar experience with Julia's work. Loved the sketch. Got the pics of the ring and was unsure... held my breathe till it got here. Loved it and was happy. I could easily see it happening the other way too. And with Forte's ring, well, when I saw the sketch a while ago my thoughts were... if that sloping isn't angled right it's gonna look like a stop light. Not shockingly it does in the pics. Plus the tsavorites in the sketch aren't fully colored in, and in real life impact don't match the colored in parts of the sketch (the tsavorites are the right proportion, but the way they are colored makes them seem smaller in proportion to the center, which helps the sketch not look like a stop light). I think a great vendor like Julia would prefer honest feedback and the the opportunity to address a customer's concerns and make them happy, rather than have hurt feelings because someone didn't like her work immediately and without alteration. Forte, I think it's crappy that someone felt they had to tattle. But Julia is a big girl and it will all work out one way or another. ((HUGS)).

katiedid

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Of all people, Julia doesn''t deserve to be made to feel bad! She is an amazing artist and a wonderfully kind person who wants nothing but the best outcome for her clients. I feel bad for her. She works so hard...

Novel

Brilliant_Rock
Oh my god! Thats so unnecessarily mean! I''m with Katiedid and AJ. Julia shouldn''t be made to feel bad; her work is stunning. Like Gypsy''s experience, when I saw my pendant IRL I told her that for some reason, photos just don''t capture the work''s truly delicate nature.

PS is supposed to be a place for consumers to discuss products and their feelings on them; for someone to go and report that to JKT to make her feel bad is not only bad etiquette and rude, its pathetic.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results