shape
carat
color
clarity

Mission to find her a pear she will love

Th3MightyRooster

Rough_Rock
This is a fantastic forum, so glad i stumbled onto a reference to it when reading through historical posts on reddit /diamonds. Already lost a few hours reading old posts here.

So my mission, to find her a pear! We are in Sydney, Australia, and it seems there are limited options here when it comes to pears. Most jewellers dont seem to stock them and just buy from the exchanges on a per order basis. Very few offer any kind of no questions asked return policy if you're not happy with the stone either, so we are a bit petrified by this. Others simply charge extortionate prices to begin with so are not an option. I've read all up about pears in recent weeks and so feel mildly competent selecting in person, but the general availability here in person is poor. So that leaves us with buying online from overseas (not a big deal, but we get hit with a tax) or via jeweller here viewing the online rotating photos from exchange. Feels like a lottery. So yeah, feeling a bit trapped in how to try and make a decision. Almost to the point we'd consider paying an expert to help us lol

Budget is approx $1700USD/2400AUD for the ring and similar for the rock. She has modestly small hands so a pear diamond around 1.4ct would be ample.

Aesthetically, she likes the clean/clear look with a little fire and ice (or a lot..). Who doesn't i suppose? Budget of course may limit this.

Bow tie must be kept at a reasonable minimum as we both notice it quite easily in person having seen a few obvious ones at jewellers, but no real clue how to assess it online when there aren't proper videos.

This is the general style of ring she would like shown at cullen jewellery (melbourne, australia). They are highly rated but dont stock pears in house or provide any return policy if unhappy, making us very hesitant.

From that same seller they have currently suggested these 3 pears.

1.39ct | E | VS1 | Pear Lab-Grown Diamond
1.40ct | E | VS1 | Pear Lab-Grown Diamond
1.59ct | D | VS1 | Pear Lab-Grown Diamond

There is also another popular australian store moimoi has a few within our budget we'd consider if they were actually good, otherwise i suppose there is always Ritani? But again we just can't confidently pick from online.

Really appreciate some guidance (or hand holding ha) if its not too much to ask. Not sure how to proceed but want to make sure she is happy.

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
Hello and welcome to PriceScope, Th3MightyRooster!
Really liking the 1.59 D VS1 - are they able to bring it (and some others) in for viewing?

Here's a beautiful hand-picked pear offered by Jon (Rhino) at Distinctive Gem that you can feast your eyes on:

Th3MightyRooster

Rough_Rock
Hi DejaWiz thanks for your reply. Yes we also quite like that 1.59 however they supposedly don't "bring in for viewing" from the suppliers here as far as i can tell. It's a case of limited to what they have or can bring in from other stores, or select online from their websites which are just interfaces to diamond exchange no different to any online seller really. That particular jeweller is based in another city from us anyway, so getting there would require a weekend away and associated flight costs etc. so not really going to happen.

That said, 1.59 i think is a little on the larger (and costlier) side, we're thinking more around 1.4ct. They have sent these 3 new options, what do you think?

1.40ct | E | VS1 | Pear Lab-Grown Diamond
1.46ct | E | VS1 | Pear Lab-Grown Diamond
1.50ct | F | VS1 | Pear Lab-Grown Diamond

That 1.36 by Rhino looks nice but alas, out of our budget once. Exchange rate hurts.

I had a discussion with that other jeweller i mentioned above, moimoi, and they said they have some pears in stock. They are in our city, so we will book a session with them over the coming days to explore what options they might have also..

DejaWiz

Ideal_Rock
I like the 1.46 E, but I'm also a strong proponent of ASET images, especially for fancy shapes since they hard to assess from pictures and videos.

Th3MightyRooster

Rough_Rock
I like the 1.46 E, but I'm also a strong proponent of ASET images, especially for fancy shapes since they hard to assess from pictures and videos.

I dont think i have seen ASET images from anyone here. Sounds like i need to keep hunting for stores jewellers that actually have diamonds so i can inspect and take my own videos?

Th3MightyRooster

Rough_Rock
So we went into two of the main jewellers in Sydney cbd that that are popular and highly rated. MoiMoi had a few lab grown pears in store but none in our price range at the size we want. And for ordering others in they provide no change of mind refund/swap. So no better than ordering ourselves from anywhere online. However they did have a ring that is her new favourite. Now we just need to find a bloomin stone!

The other store, GS Diamonds, literally had no lab grown pears on hand.

It seems we really are limited and will have no choice but to buy the diamond online. Incredibly anxious about this..

Th3MightyRooster

Rough_Rock
Hi Guys,

Can i please get some feedback & comments on these 4 pear diamonds? It is a mix of what i have shortlisted (and boy i could be picking poorly so please correct me) and what GS diamonds agent have recommended from their supplier. I cannot inspect any of these in person before purchasing.

1.64 Ct. VS1 F
1.52 Ct VS1 E
1.58 Ct VVS2 F
1.50 Ct VS1 E

Thanks!!

Th3MightyRooster

Rough_Rock
OK, only the first one above is available now. Others gone.

Am i even posting in the right section?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results