shape
carat
color
clarity

? misrepresented as a VS2 ?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zferretlvr

Rough_Rock
I recently purchased a .66ct marquise diamond from an eBay auction. It was described as a "VS2" with a thin carbon spot. I purchased the ring with the understanding that a VS2 grading meant no visible flaws to the naked eye. Because the carbon spot is visible, I am looking for confirmation that this diamond was misrepresented when described as a VS2. Also, are marquise cut diamonds less prone to sparkle? Thank you for any help you may offer. Karen

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Ok, then it cannot be VS2... and I haven't heard that "CARBON SPOT" can improve the value! Instead, as you might know there are several techniques to get rid of the inclusions!In the other hand, if you are happy about the price, it still could be a good deal.Show it to a professional to be 100% sure.

zferretlvr

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response. Here is the wording that appeared in the description:"A SLIGHT THIN BLACK SPOT KNOWN AS CARBON SPOT VALUE THE RING BETTER."I wrote for clarification and the reply was:"hi karen. as you already know i'm sure. diamonds of good quality have a vey
tiny black spot or two sometimes inside the stone. this is commonly known as
carbon."Still, advertised as VS2, it should actually be a VS2. I bought it because I know that a VS2 does not have any visible inclusions. What I don't know is if a VS2 can have a carbon spot that is Not visible to the naked eye?I do not know all the cut dimensions but the color was given as "J"; although I personally think it is closer to I or H. I am not sure if I am going to return it as there is a 10 day refund period. I suppose if it had more sparkle, I could see past the carbon but I am still deciding. I checked the price comparison on price scope and I paid half the price of what the same diamond is offered for from other sources. (I used the I1 grade in the comparison.) As for VS2 grades; can carbon spots be visible ONLY under magnification or are carbon spots always discernible?Thanks, Karen

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Karen,You are right: VS2 shouldn't have any visible inclusions at all.On the other hand, I don't know whether it is misrepresentation since you knew about the inclusion... I hope the experts can clarify it.I assume the diamond doesn't have any certificate. Do you know the color and cut data for the diamond. How much did you pay?Sparkling:Any fancy shape sparkles less than round brilliant. Although there are different cut grades for fancies too. See the AGA cut charts at www.gemappraisers.com/chrt2.htm for Marquise.leonid

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Karen, do you see the inclusion with unaided eye or only with the loupe?

zferretlvr

Rough_Rock
I see it with the unaided eye. If pointed out, anyway I have shown, sees it as well. It does not stand out as to be obvious but is most definitely visible without magnification.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results