shape
carat
color
clarity

Mint Green Tourmaline E-Ring

tcal4404

Rough_Rock
Have been lurking for a few months, this forum was a great resource when designing my fiance's e-ring. Thanks everyone for their contributions.

Where to start. So months back my then GF and I were casually/jokingly discussing our engagement and I had her send me a few ideas of what she likes in terms of an e-ring. She definitely didn't want a diamond, and she shared a few pics of some rings she liked, a few morganite halo rings, some square halo rings, and others. Quite the variety but gave me a general direction.

Few months later decided it was time and went to a local jeweler to talk rings and was shown the gemstone case and an incredible pale green zircon caught my eye. It was gigantic like 10cts but the color was incredible. Went home and did some research and decided I definitely wanted something in the mint green/pale green realm in an oval and in a halo setting. I did a ton of research and found a lot of elements I wanted to incorporate but that ring didn't exist so decided to have a custom ring made. I made a sketch of what I wanted the setting to look like. Twisting split shanks with pave diamonds and milgrain, and a diamond halo in white gold. Wanted it to be on the thinner more delicate side but with some interesting milgrain details without it looking super vintage. Once I was getting closer to the final product, I bumped into yingh's tsavorite ring which gave me confidence that my design would translate to a nice ring (thanks yingh!)

(my sketch)

IMG_3227.jpg

We ordered a few stones to look at and we had a nice looking green tourmaline but it didn't speak so me so we kept looking. My jeweler eventually found an incredible afghan mint green tourmaline. 2.97cts 10x8mm (I believe can't remember the exact specs right now, def ~3cts and 10mm). This was it! Stone was cut very well, not treated, no inclusions/imperfections, and just had a depth of color and fire that is unreal in person. I loved how much it changed i different types of lights and how it glows in low light settings.

IMG_3627.jpg IMG_3632.jpg IMG_3668.jpg

Now that the stone was nailed down, jeweler helped translate my design to one that would fit the dimensions of the stone and have the structural element my back of the napkin sketch didn't. We then had a 3d printed wax mold made, made some adjustments and had the ring cast & finished. The first time I picked up the ring, the person I had been working with was not present and did not get a chance to inspect the final product. I Was trying to push the timeline but in hindsight this was a mistake. I was initially very disappointed with the finishing. inside of the ring was not polished, milgrain wasn't super clean, and some other details made the ring look unfinished. I decided to not take the ring home and wait until the employee was back. She was wonderful and had everything taken care of. The stone removed, inside polished, other issues fixed, and the stone reset. I was very very happy with the final product. Really hoping my gf loved it as much as I enjoyed creating it.

(jeweler's sketch)
IMG_3641.PNG IMG_3676.jpg IMG_3678.jpg IMG_3679.jpg

Well...I proposed last Saturday and although she was initially too overcome with emotion to even look at the ring lol she eventually saw it and was BLOWN AWAY! I was so soo happy that not only did she say yes but she is absolutely in love with what ended up as a very unique stone & ring.

Anyways... just wanted to share with you guys. I actually really enjoyed learning about different types of gemstones. The wait of 5-6 weeks of making a custom e-ring was tough though. As a guy, when you walk into the store, you are ready that day haha. Hope you guys enjoy the pics

tcal4404

Rough_Rock
There's a ring of milgrain on the underside of the halo that's tough to see in these pics
IMG_0749.jpg

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
it's beautiful, i love it !
congratulations on your engagement

LemonMoonLex

Ideal_Rock
What a sweet story! :kiss2:
I LOVE colored stone engagement rings!
As beautiful as diamonds are, especially chunky old cuts theres just something to be said about choosing the stone to match your personality and having something thats very special and unique.
Beautiful ring for a beautiful girl and engagement!
Congradulations!!

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s stunning and what a lovely story to match.
There is just something soothing and calming about a clear pale green gemstone and it is showcased beautifully in the ring you designed.
Not bad for a bloke ha ha!
10 extra brownie points coming your way:appl:

ZestfullyBling

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats on your engagement!! Yiur ring is beautiful!!:love: I love tourmaline! Gorgeous color!! Wear it in good health!!

ilovegemstones

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations!!!! Amazing ring and I loved reading about how it came to be.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats!!! Beautiful ring and great story. :kiss2:

Mrs_Strizzle

Brilliant_Rock
So lovely and romantic! Congrats

voce

Ideal_Rock
:love: :love: What an incredibly beautiful ring for your beautiful fiancee! You did very well, from choosing the stone to making sure the finishing was not sloppy (and you have nice sketching skills to boot). Thank you for sharing your story and the photos here. Congratulations on your happy engagement!
:appl::appl::appl:

Acinom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! What a beautiful story and what a stunning ring!! The ring looks amazing on her

2Neezers

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
It's beautiful :love:! Congratulations!!

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats really beautiful ring just be aware that she should take the ring off when doing things like gardening or cleaning or anything boisterous with her hands because tourmalines are relatively soft stones for every day wear.

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! This is such a gorgeous ring! :love: Delicate and colorful...the perfect combination. :mrgreen2:

MJO

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Congratulations and nice job on the ring

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations, it’s lovely!

leslie1956

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You did a fantastic job of sourcing the stone and getting it set in a beautiful ring! Congratulations to you and your fiancee :)

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congrats! Lovely stone and setting. Well done! :appl:

strawrose

Brilliant_Rock
Congrats! :dance:

LilAlex

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Gotta say, I'm most impressed by your "Heineken" sketching skills :loopy:

Congrats all around! It looks beautiful on her hand!

tcal4404

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone!

natasha-cupcake

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Such a lovely ring! Congratulations on your engagement!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results