shape
carat
color
clarity

Mined vs. Lab Blue Diamonds

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone, I've been wondering this for a long time and realized this is the perfect place to ask. I noticed that the blue in the lab version is a very different shade than the irradiated than that of (irradiated) mined, the latter being an almost Windex blue. Does anyone know why? Thanks!

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Lab is likely grown with some boron in it to create the blue.
Irradiated blues are generally champagne or off colored lower cost initial diamonds and so the blue is a bit darker and sometimes a greenish tinged blue.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Irradiated blues are generally champagne or off colored lower cost initial diamonds and so the blue is a bit darker and sometimes a greenish tinged blue.

yep my favorite blue color diamonds are the greenish blue nuked stones.
The near zero resale value is the downside.

Clunkygirl

Shiny_Rock

Thank you! That makes sense.

La2020

Brilliant_Rock
yep my favorite blue color diamonds are the greenish blue nuked stones.
The near zero resale value is the downside.

@Karl_K any examples or photos to show this unique greenish blue nuked shade? =)2

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
@Karl_K any examples or photos to show this unique greenish blue nuked shade? =)2

at one time they were either a inky dark blue or a shade of greenish\blue or teal. These days they can do more in a more true blue.

PinkAndBlueBling

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I bought zapped blue diamonds when visiting the USVI. I love the darker color! They weren't exactly giving them away, either. :roll2:

KeepStepping

Shiny_Rock
Me too! I like zircons in a similar color.
12 years or so ago, I bought an irradiated blue diamond before I knew anything about gems or diamonds. It was my e-ring. The lab grown diamonds have a truer, grayer blue 8014F48E-8704-44DB-A65F-755DC0BC9042.jpeg I was really drawn to the blue-green color, but years later with more knowledge, wish I had picked a gemstone in a similar color.

There is so much I have learned through PS and the lovely people here.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results