shape
carat
color
clarity

Mind clean

Lpsl

Rough_Rock
Adding some thoughts on lab grown:

Lab grown brings the quality of super-ideals into the realm of affordability for some of us. At the carat size we have, a high-color super ideal cut stone would be way above budget, whereas with lab, that beauty is accessible at many price points.

I wonder if some of the questions about lab stones looking ‘fake’ might be related to this? There may be more well-cut and/or ideal cut lab stones out in the wild, since they are a LOT more accessible than natural mined super-ideals.

The eye-catching light performance of well-cut lab stones makes them look *different* from many natural mined stones out there - yet this difference does not mean ‘fake’ - it means well-cut and high-performing. Most folks simply have never seen that.

Including this household - until after making a costly purchase of a good yet not great natural mined stone.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Personally, I do not wish to get a LGD so big that peeps would immediately think it is not "real" as I can't possibly afford a real as in earth-mined diamond that size.

Ironic coming from a person who is wearing a 5ct Moissy as a pendant around her neck!

DK :lol-2:

Lpsl

Rough_Rock
Personally, I do not wish to get a LGD so big that peeps would immediately think it is not "real" as I can't possibly afford a real as in earth-mined diamond that size.

Ironic coming from a person who is wearing a 5ct Moissy as a pendant around her neck!

DK :lol-2:

Agree! Mine is 2.08. Prior (natural mined) solitaire was 1.5. Would consider up to maybe 2.4. Tried 2.5 and found that uncomfortably large.

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Agree! Mine is 2.08. Prior (natural mined) solitaire was 1.5. Would consider up to maybe 2.4. Tried 2.5 and found that uncomfortably large.

If I want to wear something showy, I'll wear one of my big gun CS or pearl rings!

DK :))

Decision_Decisions

Shiny_Rock
Lab is not mind clean for me for my engagement ring. I do have lab stud earrings and that doesn't bother me. They are small & don't stand out. But they also don't make me feel anything. They're just sparkly. I've always wanted a "big" engagement ring. Getting this in an ACA after 15 years of marriage meant so many things to me. It was a symbol of how our marriage has grown but also a symbol of how I finally prioritized myself in a way that would really make me happy. I never regret spending that money even though rationally I know I could have had a lab stone & done something else with the rest of the money.

And like Mjay said above I would feel awkward if my engagement ring was lab grown. Like I'm trying to pull one over on someone. Like I was a fraud. I know that's weird but it would take all the joy out of wearing it for me personally. I had a moissy ring, which I realize is different from a lab diamond, but that's how I felt and I had to sell it.

And lastly I think eventually they're just be so inexpensive and plentiful that they won't feel special (again, just to me).

Sunrises Sunsets

Shiny_Rock
Lab is not mind clean for me for my engagement ring. I do have lab stud earrings and that doesn't bother me. They are small & don't stand out. But they also don't make me feel anything. They're just sparkly. I've always wanted a "big" engagement ring. Getting this in an ACA after 15 years of marriage meant so many things to me. It was a symbol of how our marriage has grown but also a symbol of how I finally prioritized myself in a way that would really make me happy. I never regret spending that money even though rationally I know I could have had a lab stone & done something else with the rest of the money.

And like Mjay said above I would feel awkward if my engagement ring was lab grown. Like I'm trying to pull one over on someone. Like I was a fraud. I know that's weird but it would take all the joy out of wearing it for me personally. I had a moissy ring, which I realize is different from a lab diamond, but that's how I felt and I had to sell it.

And lastly I think eventually they're just be so inexpensive and plentiful that they won't feel special (again, just to me).

It is truly a good thing when we all want different things in life, it all balances out in happiness.

In 1995, the first time I saw a diamond ring at 3.14 and probably an H or I color, I was mesmerized by the beauty of it flashing and sparkling on her finger. It was love at first sight and it never occurred to me that if it wasn't a real diamond, I wouldn't love it. I am delighted by the fact even more beauty is available in this world by the purchase of reasonably priced man created diamonds. But diamond's aren't a status symbol to me, I just love the flash of a well cut stone.

Isn't is great that we all get to love what we like and it's no skin off anyone's nose, just happiness!

Mooshi

Shiny_Rock
Nope! I'd be happy to explain to anyone who admired mine that it's a lab diamond, and offer to send them to websites to get their own. Sparklies make me happy, the bigger the rock the more rainbows, and lab diamonds enables me to get big rainbows. I want that happiness for everyone (that would also want it)!

Inked

Brilliant_Rock
It’s mind clean to me. It’s a diamond. I have nothing to prove to anyone. I have no one to impress and no one cares. What’s impressive to me is that the [price difference] $25,000 is still sitting in my account. No one knows anyone else’s financial situation, I’m not “impressed” by others displaying wealth, we don’t post our bank/investment account screenshots because maybe that display of wealth is an illusion and they’re irresponsible with money, or maybe everyone is a multimillionaire, who knows, who really cares?! We all have a certain amount of money and we each put VALUE on different things, maybe it’s an earth mined diamond, maybe it’s a car, maybe it’s education, maybe it’s charity. I don’t think the increased price for earth mined is “worth it”. It’s more mind clean TO ME that I have the pile of money in my account. I don’t wish it was mined... I wish I didn’t love 3 carats but hey I’m here adding to this amazing community because I do.

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
It’s mind clean for me - while I’m not all that old, in recent years I’ve discovered that rare = expensive = special isn’t actually an equation that adds any value to my life.

I’ve gone minimalist in many things - buying the car that makes sense instead of the most expensive biggest we could afford; living in a small home that’s the right size for the two of us instead of a giant showplace; wearing clothes that I like instead of what is designer because expensive doesn’t equal quality. Repeat and so on.

A lab diamond allows me to have something I like to look at for a practical price and I couldn’t give two hoots what others think - and I’ve reset my expectations for myself.

I can’t imagine personally giving up my engagement ring because it didn’t “feel special” because other people might also have one and it’s not rare. It’s the only ring my husband chose for me and therefore it is the rarest on earth, because it is mine.

Alybird

Shiny_Rock
It’s mind clean to me. It’s a diamond. I have nothing to prove to anyone. I have no one to impress and no one cares. What’s impressive to me is that the [price difference] $25,000 is still sitting in my account. No one knows anyone else’s financial situation, I’m not “impressed” by others displaying wealth, we don’t post our bank/investment account screenshots because maybe that display of wealth is an illusion and they’re irresponsible with money, or maybe everyone is a multimillionaire, who knows, who really cares?! We all have a certain amount of money and we each put VALUE on different things, maybe it’s an earth mined diamond, maybe it’s a car, maybe it’s education, maybe it’s charity. I don’t think the increased price for earth mined is “worth it”. It’s more mind clean TO ME that I have the pile of money in my account. I don’t wish it was mined... I wish I didn’t love 3 carats but hey I’m here adding to this amazing community because I do.

This 100%.

dtnyc

Brilliant_Rock
So I have a different take- I think lab stones actually make the bar higher for mined stones as if you include lab vs. mined as an additional factor to choose by and change the game. If you have a budget (and almost everyone does) and are prioritizing mined stones over lab stones then you are going to have to compromise on one of the "4 C's."

FWIW, I am not in the market for an engagement ring (and the main stone in my e-ring is a stone from my husband's family and wouldn't be mind clean for many due to it's color, but oh well!) but I have friends who are, or recently were and the mined stone they received is disappointing. It's a second marriage for both and she had a sizable MRB for her first e-ring and wanted something comparable (and probably a little bit bigger if we are honest!) in size to the first. The stone is big but lackluster and if he had gone with a lab grown stone she could have had the same size with better stats/ performance for less money.
Obviously everyone isn't on pricescope and many aren't nearly as detail oriented as we are, but I think that lab grown diamonds (which come in all qualities just as mined stones do) sort of make it less acceptable to have a not great quality mined stone.
Does that make sense?

Demon

Brilliant_Rock
I am still among the group of people who can’t get past the concept of lab diamonds. I know they are chemically the same. I know I probably wouldn’t be able to tell the difference on the street but online, they almost look too perfect to me.

Fancy colored LGD give me even more of the NO feeling because the colors that come out are always somewhat off to what it’s natural counterpart would.

The beauty of knowing that the stone was created by Mother Nature over billions of years, that our planet created these gems that vary so much depending on elements is part of the foundation that created the industry, allure, I believe.

At the end of the day, to each their own. If it doesn’t bother someone and they want a lab diamond, go for it. It’s whatever makes the person wearing the ring happy.

I'm about where you are, especially with the colored lab diamonds. I just like knowing the color was naturally developed.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t wish it was mined...
This is key for me!! I have a lab ruby and I do wish it was mined. But even if I could ever find that colour and glow and size in a mined stone - I could never afford it! So lab it is. But I wish it was mined. My stone isn’t special to me because it’s not mined.

However - I LOVE that lab diamonds have become so inexpensive!! The idea that anyone who wants one can have one. @LLJsmom calls it “democratizing diamond ownership” and that’s the perfect description.

And from a practical perspective, even if they’re not right for me, if general social consciousness equates “diamond” with “low monetary value” then that keeps anyone who might be wearing mined stones that much safer!! I wear my diamonds for me, and if diamonds of all sizes become so ubiquitous that noone pays mine a whit of attention that’s a win-win IMO.

Last edited:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also don’t care if people think my mined diamonds are something different than mined..One of my close friends is pretty judgmental about my jewelry. She is one of a three friend group. I was driving her home from a lunch recently. I wore my ACA because one of the other friends wanted to see it. I usually don’t wear anything too blingy to our lunches because of this one friend. On the way home she said that my diamond looked fake..She thought everyone would also think it was a cz. This was said with distain. I told her I would be absolutely fine with that. She’s not jealous at all..She is an avid minimalist. I wear my jewelry for me..I wore my ACA in a stack along with my studs in my pajamas during the Covid lockdown. I’m not looking for anyone’s attention when I wear my jewelry..In fact..it’s the opposite. Everyone should wear what THEY love and feel comfortable wearing. It doesn’t hurt anyone with any decision you make regarding jewelry. I love seeing everyone’s jewelry..I could care less if it’s mined..lab..cz..etc. It’s all beautiful bling..
I’m going to buy lab studs after Christmas..I’m hoping I’ll get some help picking out a gorgeous pair!

Last edited:

Mrsz1ppy

Brilliant_Rock
I am still conflicted on the lab vs mined for diamonds. For colored stones, I have a large synthetic ruby, sapphire and spinel earrings. I never reach for them because I know they aren’t real, I guess. The antique synthetic cs don’t have much if any value. Will it be different with diamonds? Diamonds are plentiful and artificially scarce. CS are scarce. And yet the antique synthetics haven’t held their value.

I know you make your money when you buy. This is not to say that gems are an investment, they are not. But they can be a store of value that is private and portable, especially if your holding period is long. They keep up with inflation.

Buy what makes you happy and you will wear with joy!

kb1gra

Brilliant_Rock
For me personally, a store of value that is difficult to liquidate and with a vanishingly small market isn't a good store of value.

Second to that for me would be the same reason I drive a Hyundai Palisade instead of a Range Rover - I can buy the Palisade for the amount of money the Range loses in depreciation. Anything you buy at retail and sell at wholesale is the same. I can buy a 3ct lab for the difference between retail and wholesale on a mined stone. Even if the resale value is zero, I have lost the same amount of money in both transactions.

emmy12

Brilliant_Rock
My best friend just got engaged yesterday. So excited for her!

I am very pro lab diamond, and I just came to the realization that even though I'm curious, I would never put someone on the spot and ask them (even my best friend) if it was lab or mined because that would beso gauche! It's like asking "did he spend $15,000 on you or only $3,000?" I realized IT DOESN'T EVEN MATTER because it's a personal choice, and specific to their values. It's not my place to ask or put her in a place to feel like she might be judged either way! She should only feel loved, and that's the whole point of any gift/jewelery/token of affection.

0-0-0

Brilliant_Rock
With prices of lab diamonds at around 20% of comparable natural ones in the colorless range, I find it really hard to justify paying the price difference for something that look and perform exactly the same.

Especially for larger carat sizes, the price difference is enough to buy a new car. Or if I’m going to spend the same budget on diamond jewelry anyway, I can buy 4 comparable labs for the price of one natural. And still have money left over to set them into earrings, a pendant, and a ring.

oncrutchesrightnow

Ideal_Rock
This topic is so fascinating. Thus the long response. :)

I love lab diamonds and strongly recommend that every diamond lover try them. I remember opening the box for my first lab diamond with trepidation. It was an AVR which I never would have paid full price for (back then… the DG rabbit hole is another topic…). Well, the cover swung open and the diamond was a diamond and it was gorgeous.

That being said it turns out I do prefer earth diamonds. Don’t know why. But the cost per wear principle still applies. If the piece is an occasional wear item over a certain price then it will probably be lab. Also experimental cuts or colors.

@waffle I feel the same way. I get mad at myself because logically I would love to get lab earrings..but I know I would be second guessing myself all the time.

Aww, sorry to hear. If you ever have the opportunity for a whimsical purchase maybe try some cheap ones and see how you feel.

I feel that way about lab gemstones, but not lab diamonds. go figure :loopy:

Haha I’m the opposite.

I'd be hard pressed to find someone turn their nose up at a beautiful colorless/clean/ideal cut diamond just because of its origins whether mined or lab created.

Yesssss. Am not criticizing people who say they would never wear a LGD but am also wondering what would happen if someone threw a lab grown tennis bracelet at them in the middle of a supermarket with the fab diamond lighting. Of course there’s a difference between wearing something at no cost versus spending one’s own money.

I think over time as the societal pressure of arbitrary perceived 'value' wanes this uncertainty will become less acute and relevant for many. It will be just buying the best sparkly you can. This is a good thing.
There was a time when amethyst was considered precious, there was a time when silver was valuable than gold. It's fluid. It's all conceptual as perception.
Buy what you can afford and what makes you happy and you'll never go wrong.

First, did not know that about silver. Wonder what changed. Second, agree. Wiithin a generation, expensive EGD might become such a rare purchase that the default assumption will be that someone’s new diamond is lab grown.

but my personal acceptance (for buying to give to my wife) has some steep stipulations:

Keep saying it and saying it but somebody get this dude a diamond to wear himself already!

As a lover of very well cut diamonds, I can appreciate the inherent value of a reasonably priced well cut diamond. I look at it and think, wow, well cut LDGs have democratized the owning of beautiful well cut diamonds. This could significantly change what the rest of my jewelry collection will look like. Who knows...

Exactly. Precision cutting might be the future of diamond aspirations, instead of size. In fact it might be the only visible way to distinguish cost, for those who want people to know they spent a lot ( no criticism). And with HPHT, VVS might become the new normal.

Think your “democratize” comment hit home with a lot of people. :)

One thing that labs do allow for is variety. I may feel less inclined to reset given I can just get another stone for another kind of setting when I get bored of my three stone.

Yes, for those of us who are not One Ring or classic capsule people, LGD lets us try cuts and colors and styles that we would otherwise forgo in favor of traditional staples.

Fancy colored LGD give me even more of the NO feeling because the colors that come out are always somewhat off to what it’s natural counterpart would.

That’s interesting… for me a big part of the allure of FCD is their rarity… does anyone know if they are less rare than people think they are, like D-Z diamonds? Anyway even though I kind of feel the same way as you, I still like LGCD in part because you can’t find those colors that often in nature.

I wonder if some of the questions about lab stones looking ‘fake’ might be related to this? There may be more well-cut and/or ideal cut lab stones out in the wild, since they are a LOT more accessible than natural mined super-ideals.

That is an interesting point.

But diamond's aren't a status symbol to me, I just love the flash of a well cut stone.

Same… I’ve never bought a diamond for that reason. But no hate to anyone who has.

I think that lab grown diamonds (which come in all qualities just as mined stones do) sort of make it less acceptable to have a not great quality mined stone.
Does that make sense?

Yes, it’s kind of funny, if you go over to the EGD forum, when someone finds an imperfect yet pretty old cut diamond, it is “wonderfully wonky.” But due in part to DG’s early adaptation of LGD, there is a lot of criticism of LGD antique cuts that have the slightest bit of light leakage.

Lpsl

Rough_Rock
This topic is so fascinating. Thus the long response. :)

I love lab diamonds and strongly recommend that every diamond lover try them. I remember opening the box for my first lab diamond with trepidation. It was an AVR which I never would have paid full price for (back then… the DG rabbit hole is another topic…). Well, the cover swung open and the diamond was a diamond and it was gorgeous.

That being said it turns out I do prefer earth diamonds. Don’t know why. But the cost per wear principle still applies. If the piece is an occasional wear item over a certain price then it will probably be lab. Also experimental cuts or colors.

Aww, sorry to hear. If you ever have the opportunity for a whimsical purchase maybe try some cheap ones and see how you feel.

Haha I’m the opposite.

Yesssss. Am not criticizing people who say they would never wear a LGD but am also wondering what would happen if someone threw a lab grown tennis bracelet at them in the middle of a supermarket with the fab diamond lighting. Of course there’s a difference between wearing something at no cost versus spending one’s own money.

First, did not know that about silver. Wonder what changed. Second, agree. Wiithin a generation, expensive EGD might become such a rare purchase that the default assumption will be that someone’s new diamond is lab grown.

Keep saying it and saying it but somebody get this dude a diamond to wear himself already!

Exactly. Precision cutting might be the future of diamond aspirations, instead of size. In fact it might be the only visible way to distinguish cost, for those who want people to know they spent a lot ( no criticism). And with HPHT, VVS might become the new normal.

Think your “democratize” comment hit home with a lot of people. :)

Yes, for those of us who are not One Ring or classic capsule people, LGD lets us try cuts and colors and styles that we would otherwise forgo in favor of traditional staples.

That’s interesting… for me a big part of the allure of FCD is their rarity… does anyone know if they are less rare than people think they are, like D-Z diamonds? Anyway even though I kind of feel the same way as you, I still like LGCD in part because you can’t find those colors that often in nature.

That is an interesting point.

Same… I’ve never bought a diamond for that reason. But no hate to anyone who has.

Yes, it’s kind of funny, if you go over to the EGD forum, when someone finds an imperfect yet pretty old cut diamond, it is “wonderfully wonky.” But due in part to DG’s early adaptation of LGD, there is a lot of criticism of LGD antique cuts that have the slightest bit of light leakage.

What a wonderfully thoughtful post. Thank you for taking the time to share this with us!

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’m struggling a little. I still have not set the diamonds yet. It is hard to believe I have in my possession such pretty, well cut, priced diamonds. What kind of world is this???:shock:o_O It’s my stubborn slow changing brain that is the problem. My DH says “take the win”.;-)

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hope you love them and post some pics.

I hope so too! I’m so burned out from buying for Christmas that I would rather wait until after Christmas. I’ll need help to get the prettiest ones! :kiss2:

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I’m struggling a little. I still have not set the diamonds yet. It is hard to believe I have in my possession such pretty, well cut, priced diamonds. What kind of world is this???:shock:o_O It’s my stubborn slow changing brain that is the problem. My DH says “take the win”.;-)

To tell you the truth @LLJsmom..I paid a fortune for my 3.04 G VVS studs at my age..If I had to do it over again I would have gone with the lab diamonds in that size. I would have then purchased mined 1.5 ctw studs. I feel like I’m buying for the people that are going to inherit my jewelry. :lol:
How long can you hold on to them before having to return them if you change your mind?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To tell you the truth @LLJsmom..I paid a fortune for my 3.04 G VVS studs at my age..If I had to do it over again I would have gone with the lab diamonds in that size. I would have then purchased mined 1.5 ctw studs. I feel like I’m buying for the people that are going to inherit my jewelry. :lol:
How long can you hold on to them before having to return them if you change your mind?

One is past the return period which I am fine with. I can put that into a pendant. The other I have 5 more days. But I’m 70/30 keeping. My DH is highly in favor of keeping, cause he knows me pretty well. After returning it I will just hunt down another. And I’m 90/10 sure I will love it once I get them set. I’m a mess.

Tigerlilyrosepetal

Shiny_Rock
I have been anti-lab diamonds for years. I have had a difficult time wrapping my mind around the mind-clean issue for a long time-and I always have had a dilemma because I love so many styles and love collecting wedding sets or wearing variety. This poses a problem as buying multiple large quality diamonds is just not realistic for me. Recently, I took my diamond out of a beautiful sapphire trilogy to put back into a channel set. One set was either going to have a cz or I had to break through the “mind clean” issue. I tried a white sapphire and it looked like crap. If I wanted to have both sets with a nice 7.5mm diamond for that shine, I knew I had to get a lab. So I finally bought one!!! I have a 7.5 mm EVVS2 coming on Tuesday and can’t me more excited! Now it’s just a small dilemma of which set I put the lab diamond into: the more expensive sapphire trilogy or the channel set that is like my original wedding set?
I am so happy that I finally have bought a lab! I will have some gorgeous sets and they will look beautiful-period.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
@LLJsmom Christmas is over so I thought I would start looking for a 1.5 ctw pair of lab stones to make studs. I know you were struggling with the mind clean aspect..Have you made any progress as far as setting them?
I don’t NEED another pair of studs..so I will be happy to get lab diamonds for these since the price difference is significant. I’m also not a spring chicken so I feel like I would be buying them for whoever inherits them! :lol: I don’t plan on going anywhere for a long time..but you can’t be too prepared! I have my good pair that are plenty big for me...I also have my eye clean mutt studs in a bezel...I just want a much smaller pair than my 3.04 good pair. I want six prong settings just like the moissanite pair I gave to my friend. These will be a half carat tw larger..
I would love some help picking out a pair in D..E..vs1 or vvs2..1.5 ctw..I will send them to DK to make the settings.
I hope everyone had a great holiday!
Thank you so much!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I also don’t care if people think my mined diamonds are something different than mined..One of my close friends is pretty judgmental about my jewelry. She is one of a three friend group. I was driving her home from a lunch recently. I wore my ACA because one of the other friends wanted to see it. I usually don’t wear anything too blingy to our lunches because of this one friend. On the way home she said that my diamond looked fake..She thought everyone would also think it was a cz. This was said with distain. I told her I would be absolutely fine with that. She’s not jealous at all..She is an avid minimalist. I wear my jewelry for me..I wore my ACA in a stack along with my studs in my pajamas during the Covid lockdown. I’m not looking for anyone’s attention when I wear my jewelry..In fact..it’s the opposite. Everyone should wear what THEY love and feel comfortable wearing. It doesn’t hurt anyone with any decision you make regarding jewelry. I love seeing everyone’s jewelry..I could care less if it’s mined..lab..cz..etc. It’s all beautiful bling..
I’m going to buy lab studs after Christmas..I’m hoping I’ll get some help picking out a gorgeous pair!

i dont like the sound of your friend
she better make up for it in other ways is all i can say

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results