shape
carat
color
clarity

Mild Panic - Need input from diamond dealers / brokers etc

SFGuy

Rough_Rock
Re: Mild Panic - Need input from diamond dealers / brokers e

I'm also concerned that the OP seems to be under the impression that this bait-and-switch technique is generally accepted business practice in this industry. I'm new here myself, but from everything I've read, I haven't seen any indication that it is the case. In fact, my experience with both online and B&M dealers has been fairly positive, nothing like the bait-and-switch situation you're in.

I can't see myself doing business with someone acting that way, in this or any other industry. My suggestion is that the OP doesn't either. Get out now, while you can do so.

acebruin

Brilliant_Rock

i'm sure this is what EVERYONE says who was in your situation... until they get burn themselves... why play with fire when you know there's a chance for you to get burn? same reasoning...

the problem here is not what the seller has done right... the problem is what the seller has done wrong... same with buying a house... what if the seller doesn't let you know there's a mold problem in 1 section of the house until you find out yourself? wouldn't you be wondering what else could be wrong with the house?

as many ppl have said before, trust has to be earned... to me if i'm spending thousands of dollars, i sure want whoever i'm buying from to be a trustworthy person... it's my hard earned cash!

these bait and switch sellers or dishonest sellers are still in business because of people who try to stick their heads in the sand... until the get burn!

i still stick to my original advise, please ask for a refund and go else where...

if not, all the best to you, hope things work out... and if it doesn't, don't run around complaining to others because you have been warned and you know what you're getting yourself into!

Panhandler80|1309470130|2959407 said:
Well, I certainly appreciate it. This will be the first place I come if I need to. If that's the case, it will be in about a week or so and my money will be burning a hole in my pants!

I've been at this hard since about early May, and while I don't necessarily learn something new every day, at the very least I do discover something each day... this website for example. Would have loved to spent some more time on here earlier on.

I did see that circular inclusion fairly close to and parallel to the girdle. Who knows, though. Could last forever and I would have saved $1k.

It just stinks that I discovered the bait and switch. Almost wish I hadn't confirmed it with the buddy call... ignorance is bliss right?

Reason I say this, is because the my seller HAS been prompt, seller HAS dealt with a VERY particular buyer, seller HAS looked at other certs for me and given seller's best estimation of where diamond might excell or have issues, seller HAS had hands on diamond I bought and personally looked at, seller HAS been in business for long time and actually has cutting experience (I confrimed thtis), and seller did give me a FAIR price...

IF

All seller says is true... that's all. Seller's whole business is online and there's nothing negative about seller anywhere that I can find.

I'm burrying my head in the sand at this point and writing off the sketchy marketing technique.

If and when the ring is in my posession, and to my liking, I am going to bring it up with sell,though. Just to ask why. Just sheer curiousity. We're all adults here. Most people know about what an idividual new diamond is worth at retail. I have a certain amount of money to spend. You want a certain amount of money. SO... what do you have, and how much? If it works great, if it doesn't... one of us goes up or down, or we both walk away. Not complicated.

It's not like the first diamond was INSANELY cheap. Had it been, I wouldn't have called. It was just cheap enough to be at the very very cheap end of believable... AKA: Bait. So, who calls this seller? Not pie-in-the-sky dreamers wanting a diamond for 20% of what they pay elsewhere... rather, seller gets folks who have done their homework and are ready to make a move. An effective strategy yes, but certainly not honest, and I am very suprised that it has not bit seller on the butt yet!

Of course... it still may.

TristanC

Brilliant_Rock

Hi Panhandler, everyone has been advising you to bail on the whole deal. The reason I didn't want to just do that was that I understand sometimes the refund process can be a nightmare. Your case is slightly different than the other link posted here, because ultimately you get a product.

Now that we have the specs, I think your diamond looks fine on paper except for one KEY element. It is SI2, which requires a very HONEST and trustworthy seller to correctly appraise and advise you on the way it looks. Have you seen it in real life?

If your diamond had all those specs and was a VS1, I would be less concerned. So you dealt with one dishonest person... it would be fine.

But since your clarity is SI2, along with everything you have experienced so far... I think you need to cut your losses and bail NOW.

It totally makes sense now why he is doing this, as he can use the distance and separation to try and push a diamond with visible defects on a customer using a bait and switch.

I would advise you to cancel the deal now. Restart your search with a reputable vendor here. Hope you don't get burned.

Panhandler80

Rough_Rock

TristanC|1309484731|2959559 said:
Hi Panhandler, everyone has been advising you to bail on the whole deal. The reason I didn't want to just do that was that I understand sometimes the refund process can be a nightmare. Your case is slightly different than the other link posted here, because ultimately you get a product.

Now that we have the specs, I think your diamond looks fine on paper except for one KEY element. It is SI2, which requires a very HONEST and trustworthy seller to correctly appraise and advise you on the way it looks. Have you seen it in real life?

If your diamond had all those specs and was a VS1, I would be less concerned. So you dealt with one dishonest person... it would be fine.

But since your clarity is SI2, along with everything you have experienced so far... I think you need to cut your losses and bail NOW.

It totally makes sense now why he is doing this, as he can use the distance and separation to try and push a diamond with visible defects on a customer using a bait and switch.

I would advise you to cancel the deal now. Restart your search with a reputable vendor here. Hope you don't get burned.

She is asleep now.

I'm staying put.

If I get hosed, I come here FIRST to solve thiings.

Spoke to the seller today. Again... well-spoken, attentive, all you'd want in a seller. If seller does right by me then seller and I are square.

ALL I WANT is to post a picture here of a beautifual ring!

WHICH I REALLY THINK WILL HAPPEN... duh.. other wise, TX, CA, NY and FL attorneys would be involved.

I love HER and I have faith and TRUST in my SELLER. Things WILL work out in the end. It saves EVERYONE hassle.

lbling

Rough_Rock

I have posted on here before but I thought I would chime in again. Okay firstly I understand that shopping for a ring is 1 - a HUGE commitment of cash to spend and 2 is time consuming to find the PERFECT RING so I understand your reluctance to bail on the deal now.

BUT......
I agree with what a previous post suggested that with an SI2 to be really good quality it takes a reputable person to sell this as "eye clean". This seller has already shown you dishonesty, I don't care what you say a bait and switch is not a marketing tactic that I would get caught up in but then that's me not you. However let me ask you this and please think about this honestly - What are you going to do if this ring shows up with some major visible inclusions? Will you just keep burying your head in the sand and say "oh it's okay he seemed fair on the phone and he was very attentive" or does he have a good enough refund policy that you implicitly trust that he will give you your money back for a shoddy diamond when his ploy to land your business has already been shoddy?

I know it might feel that people here are attacking your judgement and at first I really felt sorry for you. But you came here asking for advice and there are people here who could list specs off in their sleep and know vendors like the back of their hands on here telling you that something isn't right and you are still in the deal (which of course is your right as this is your hard earned cash) but where are you going to go to bad mouth his crappy work and diamond when and if it shows up? I think that if you have posted here for genuine advice and feedback, HEED WHAT IS BEING SAID!!!

That being said again I am safe and secure in my transaction with my jeweller to hand to me my diamond (which I have viewed and know is perfect for me) in a ring that I know will be of superior quality. So as I said in my earlier post if you have the same emotions towards this transaction and not just "ignorance is bliss" attitude then stick with it but I urge you not to complain if you receive inferior quality jewellery when you have been warned by so many knowledgeable people here to find better options.

I hope for your sake that you get your moneys worth for your sake. This will put a massive dampener on your proposal if you have to go through the same debacle that other poor gentleman is going through trying to recover his money from Luxe.

Panhandler80

Rough_Rock

Hey, I really appreciate the advice and I certainly DID come here looking for advice.

I'm not discounting ANY of it. I'm not.

I also won't complain on here ONE BIT if it goes south. If i goes south, I'll try (I know I ramble a lot) and post a concise story of what happened an I'll post all of the sellers information. I won't complain and I'll be the FIRST to admit that you guys were right. I'll then start over with the help found here.

You asked whatmy plan is if it goes south. Seller lives in a part of the country I have never visited. I almost went on a business trip, but it was canceled. If the ring is returned and the same thing doesn't happen with my funds, I'll be making a little trip. Have about 200,000 Delta Miles on hand. I know where the seller lives. It's a nice suburb of a large city. With some of the connections I have, I'll be able to bend the ear of seller's local law enforcement. I also have plenty of vaccation days on hand. I'll make getting my money back FUN! :lickout: It'll happen. Just because I spent 3/4 of my cash on this ring does NOT mean that I'm without other resources.

Also, you guys need to know my personality. I am a certifiable alarmist and skeptic! Of course, when it's all said and one, I'm usually right. I think my initial post was alarmist in nature. Since then the seller and I have spoken and for some reason I'm at ease with it. Also spoke with my attorney last night. With the info I have collected and documented, we'll be able to get my money... so long as this deal was not a one time shot and seller leaves the country. Can't imagine that being the case for measly $8k.

Anyway, I'm a skeptic, alarist and a bit of perfectoinist on one hand (which is why I don't already have a ring), but once I'm once I do committ to trusting others I REALLY do... almost to a fault. I realize that this emotion and tendacny (as well as wanting it over) are showing themselves now, but typically when it's all said and done my take on people is pretty accurate.

We'll see.

Wish me luck. If seller can get it wrapped up this AM seller is going ship it today for devliery tomorrow. If not I'll take delivery Tue or Wed of next week.

Stay tuned.

THANK YOU ALL FOR POSTING. I really DO understand AND appreciate the advice. I also understand and appreciate the risk I'm taking at this point. I do.

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Panhandler80|1309530250|2959854 said:
Wish me luck. If seller can get it wrapped up this AM seller is going ship it today for devliery tomorrow. If not I'll take delivery Tue or Wed of next week.

Stay tuned.

THANK YOU ALL FOR POSTING. I really DO understand AND appreciate the advice. I also understand and appreciate the risk I'm taking at this point. I do.

Did you change your mind about having your appraiser take delivery of the ring, just in case something isn't on par?

Panhandler80

Rough_Rock

Appraiser was not comfortable taking delivery of ring.

It was delivered this past Saturday and I have seen it... although due to holiday weekend, scheudles, etc, this morning was my first chance to really spend any time checking it out.

I like it. I'm afraid that the band may be just a LITTLE bit too wide, but we'll see what she says. Seller said seller would be happy to put it in different setting.

Diamond is almost eye clean. From the top I see no inclusions. When I look at the profile of the diamond, I think i see some colorless little lines int he middle, but they are faint. Diamond is brilliant and the color is great.

The three point diamonds are okay I guess. Seller claims to use the very best there and that most folks skimp on them because it's hard to tell the difference. Seller is right about that because if sellers are better than average, then the the 14 three point side stones look just like every other 3 point side stone I've seen.

Dropped it off at appraiser's today. We'll see what they have to say. Seller said girdle is GIA inscribed. If so, I'll be able to verify that the copy (I'm waiting on the original) of the GIA seller sent me matches up with that particular diamond. Also going to have him address the goldsmithing because i don't know what's standard fare and what's not. All looks good, but I can see some soldering on one side where the head meets the seting. Probably totally negligble, but I want appriaser to tell me that.

I don't have any fancy photogrophy equiment. I took a picture of the ring with my cell phone, I'll try to get a pic posted.

Will have some more info from the appraiser shortly... another $98 to get it done today as opposed to 2 to 3 days (ugh).

Panhandler80

Rough_Rock

I realize my hands are horrible looking. Spent two days fishing offshore this weekend, and then 11 hours of yard work yesterday... yeah, they're a little bit messed up!

1_21.jpg

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it looks like a really nice ring!

OCgirl

Brilliant_Rock

It looks nice! But is it the picture or the prongs are a bit tilted/not aligned with the band?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

I think it looks pretty too!

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock

OCgirl|1309891804|2962099 said:
It looks nice! But is it the picture or the prongs are a bit tilted/not aligned with the band?

I was thinking this also, the shot looks head on but the head looks off center, especially in the top left.
Does it look like this in person?

Panhandler80

Rough_Rock

Just now noticed this. In the picture, if you were looking straight down at the face of the diamond, the exact center of the diamond is exactly where it should be on the setting. HOWEVER, like you guys noticed, if you rotated or spun the head and diamond clockwise about that that perfectly set axis you would get what you see.

So yeah, the head is off a little bit.

Also a porosity issue with the setting

Also tool marks that didn't get buffed out

Color of diamond aslo way off according to local guy here

It's also an I1 diamond, not and SI2. I already knew this and it is the least of my concerns.

QUESTION: Is a maker's mark required by law on an item such as this?
QUESTION: How much variation can you expect to see in color when it's grading a loose diamond VS one in setting?

About to be on the phone. Rotated head and porosity are my biggest concerns. Wish me luck.

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock

sounds like you have grounds for a refund. Take your $$ and go to a reputable retailer.

kindred

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

nfowife|1309899625|2962210 said:
sounds like you have grounds for a refund. Take your $$ and go to a reputable retailer.

Yes!!! Get out of this whole deal ASAP and start over with a reputable vendor!

I'm curious if there really was a GIA inscription, and if you've looked that up online to see what the GIA say. Also, what did your appraiser say about the GIA cert.?

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock

I don't have the answers to your questions but someone will answer more versed I have no doubt.
I just want to say to you this, this has been a gong show from the begining, and whilst I do admire your positivity for good outcome, it's really looking worse as time goes on. You are putting a lot of faith, trust and $$$ into a vendor who has done nothing to deserve it except respond promptly. But it's very clear that he lacks integrity, this vendor is only looking out for his own best interest. I say this not to critique, but because I sincerely feel you deserve better. A better stone, a better ring, a better vendor, a better experience all round.
I know you have been through a lot and really want this to be a done deal already. I know nearly everyone has recommended you to back out of this deal. My question to you is this; how bad does it have to get?
You deserve better.....

nfowife

Brilliant_Rock

maplefemme|1309900133|2962219 said:
I don't have the answers to your questions but someone will answer more versed I have no doubt.
I just want to say to you this, this has been a gong show from the begining, and whilst I do admire your positivity for good outcome, it's really looking worse as time goes on. You are putting a lot of faith, trust and $$$ into a vendor who has done nothing to deserve it except respond promptly. But it's very clear that he lacks integrity, this vendor is only looking out for his own best interest. I say this not to critique, but because I sincerely feel you deserve better. A better stone, a better ring, a better vendor, a better experience all round.
I know you have been through a lot and really want this to be a done deal already. I know nearly everyone has recommended you to back out of this deal. My question to you is this; how bad does it have to get?
You deserve better.....
+1

It seems you just want to ignore the writing on the wall.... this isn't a t-shirt. This is thousands of dollars. Don't you want to get the best for your hard-earned money? This vendor is taking you for a ride and you are letting him do it. :rolleyes:

maplefemme

Brilliant_Rock

nfowife|1309900631|2962227 said:
maplefemme|1309900133|2962219 said:
You deserve better.....
+1

It seems you just want to ignore the writing on the wall.... this isn't a t-shirt. This is thousands of dollars. Don't you want to get the best for your hard-earned money? This vendor is taking you for a ride and you are letting him do it. :rolleyes:

Exactly, if you don't advocate for yourself, all of this is for nothing but a cautionary tale of how not to buy a diamond.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock

Color AND clarity are off??

Send it back at once!!

:errrr: :errrr:

You are not getting a deal, you are paying a fair price for a lower color and clarity diamond.

This guy is a piece of work, to put it nicely.

petrock<3

Brilliant_Rock

Panhandler80|1309898856|2962197 said:
Just now noticed this. In the picture, if you were looking straight down at the face of the diamond, the exact center of the diamond is exactly where it should be on the setting. HOWEVER, like you guys noticed, if you rotated or spun the head and diamond clockwise about that that perfectly set axis you would get what you see.

So yeah, the head is off a little bit.

Also a porosity issue with the setting

Also tool marks that didn't get buffed out

Color of diamond aslo way off according to local guy here

It's also an I1 diamond, not and SI2. I already knew this and it is the least of my concerns.

QUESTION: Is a maker's mark required by law on an item such as this?
QUESTION: How much variation can you expect to see in color when it's grading a loose diamond VS one in setting?

About to be on the phone. Rotated head and porosity are my biggest concerns. Wish me luck.

I don't understand why getting an I1 instead of an eye clean Si2 is the least of your concerns. That is a huge difference, as well as a huge LIE told by the vendor. I don't know what to say about the color, depends on who evaluated it. Who cares about the setting issues when the diamond is not as promised? Forget about this whole thing and get your money back!!! :angryfire: :angryfire:

lbling

Rough_Rock

I think in now that you have received the end product you should have listened to so much of the advice on here about finding a reputable vendor.

The colour and the clarity being off should be your #1 priority. I think now is the time to unbury your head from the sand and see what a ride you have been taken on. Please send this back and start again. Your lady deserves far better and if you are willing to settle for this inferior ring you are not showing her that she deserves better. DO NOT KEEP THIS RING. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE send it back and start again. For all that is holy PLEASE. I am get very distressed reading this thread the longer it goes on. Do what is right by your lady and start again. You have access to ladies here you can supply you you with umpteenth amount of diamonds for your price range and a decent setting. I really hope for your sake that this conman has a return policy because otherwise you are stuck.

karpouzi

Shiny_Rock

The difference between an F/SI2 in that size and a, let's say H/I1 is around $1500-2000. I'm starting to wonder if the OP is a bit masochistic or maybe this is a joke.

confusedaisy

Shiny_Rock

karpouzi|1309909382|2962317 said:
The difference between an F/SI2 in that size and a, let's say H/I1 is around $1500-2000. I'm starting to wonder if the OP is a bit masochistic or maybe this is a joke.
Agreed- I hate hearing stories like this. If you don't want to LISTEN to advice, DON'T ASK THE QUESTION!!

Cimbom

Rough_Rock

Wow, I can't believe the buyer is so careless and relaxed about this. I wouldn't consider an I1 diamond at all, much less pay 7k for one. It just seems a bit scary to be honest. You can get something amazing for that price. My e-ring was just over 3k all up and I love it (0.80ct oval centre stone, G, VS2 in a halo basket setting with milgrain on the back, top and bottom of band, 1.25 tcw) so I can only imagine what you could get for double that price!

I'd definitely be demanding a refund :shock:

Christina...

Ideal_Rock

Yeah, I have to agree with everyone here. I understand if the guy is just sick of the whole process, but I wish I made enough money to just toss a few grand down the toliet because I couldn't be bothered! :roll: I'm mean really??!! I1 instead of an eye clean SI2? A wonky setting would be the least of my worries! :errrr:

You need to return this ring last week when you first asked for an opinion. This guy has been a snake from the beginning! You are getting screwed! Call him and tell him to expect the ring back. Start over here, we will make as simple as possible for you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results