shape
carat
color
clarity

Mikimoto Pearls in box with pamphlet

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
20200629_183111.jpg 20200629_183057.jpg 20200629_171740.jpg Found some more.The first two I found in with the children's jewelry.Does anyone know if the double strand is freshwater or regular? If I am asking too many questions just ignore.

Ohhh i loooooove that double strand ! :appl: :kiss2: :appl:

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
The double strand are freshwater 'rice' pearls [... who knows why I like them now as ever - they are perhaps the least expensive freshwater too; but the translucent, very white nacre - calls for mid day summer sun as it is these days. Digressing:some natural saltwater pearls look like this, but are simply too rare to expect a full strand - they are 'hinge' pearls, grown next to the hinge of shells, a particular kind of nacre; I love each & all of these small baroques.] The graduate strands are likely older costume or cultured - but I am judging wind & clasps, since no one in their right mind would identify pearls by pictures [same reasoning fro the non graduated rounds.]

stab in the dark

Thanks for the info
As much as i want a Wilma Flintstone i just adore smaller pearls

this has been a very enjoyable thread

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
HI:

Your threads are like episodes of Antique Roadshow! How I am enjoying it all! You have a lot of wonderful treasures. Wear (what you can) in health.

And FWIW, if Mikomoto is "costume jewellery" then I am Sponge Bob Square Pants.:lol-2:

cheers--Sharon

I am so overwhelmed. I just discovered pricescope inquiring about recutting a family diamond and with that post and lots of questions on other things,I have found myself learning so many new things here.I have a very wide array of interesting things from my Grandmother's, so much that I love and wear and some,not so much.I am very glad to know that the Mikimoto's are not costume which is why I came to this thread.Anyone know what would have been in this box,Pearls?? 20200629_212950.jpg 20200629_213033.jpg age? I can't find anything on it. VESLA PERLES Paris

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank you. I have no idea on any history of any of it. These were in my Grandmothers things as well as another graduated set,a sad set broken and the pearls have blemishes, and an envelope full of loose pearls from a jeweler in Ohio. They look to have started to restring those but I have left them alone .I took pictures .I assume our grandmothers shopped in their lifetime for new jewelry ,as well. Wow, those are just magnificent! I had no idea pearls can be that much,even natural!I am going to post the sad set that I think have seen better days. Can you confirm for me they are not worth restringing? Thank you! 20200629_175416.jpg

Its the Aladdin's cave of pearls :appl:
I agree with @AV_ everything is worth restringing
You have loose pearls too so you can play around with length
Maybe even gift the odd strand to a cousin, sister, daughter, future DIL

It doesn't matter if Grandma didn't wear something much or even if she liked something, but its a link back to her and its so lovelly you inherited all these pretties

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
I am so overwhelmed. I just discovered pricescope inquiring about recutting a family diamond and with that post and lots of questions on other things,I have found myself learning so many new things here.I have a very wide array of interesting things from my Grandmother's, so much that I love and wear and some,not so much.I am very glad to know that the Mikimoto's are not costume which is why I came to this thread.Anyone know what would have been in this box,Pearls?? 20200629_212950.jpg 20200629_213033.jpg age? I can't find anything on it. VESLA PERLES Paris

Looks perfect for a string of pearls

This thread has got quite excitting :appl:
Im so glad you started it

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
HI:

Your threads are like episodes of Antique Roadshow! How I am enjoying it all! You have a lot of wonderful treasures. Wear (what you can) in health.

And FWIW, if Mikomoto is "costume jewellery" then I am Sponge Bob Square Pants.:lol-2:

cheers--Sharon

I am so overwhelmed. I stumbled upon this website to inquire about recutting a family diamond and to look for an artist to set a new diamond .I have found myself learning so many new things here .I inherited some lovely pieces , that I love and wear .I posted an antique pearl ring somewhere else and was sent here by a few folks .After reading several posts,I realized I had a strand of Mikimoto Pearls ,amongst other things and that they are actually a decent thing.I do not want anyone to think I am a snob.I absolutely LOVE pearls but was misinformed on the Mikimotos .I was told they were costume as I mentioned before and maybe them being" cultured,"my Grandmother thought they were not as nice as natural. Anyway, I would still be ill informed had I not found this place!

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
What's a buckle bangle ?
Apparently there was a Victorian tradition that a man would give a bangle upon engagement to his lady and then the matching one is given to her, on their wedding day. I have a pair of them from 1872.They are called wedding bracelets/bangles and mine just happen to be with a buckle.There are many different styles from what I googled. I read up on them yesterday after my jeweler told me what they are. I am not sure who received them but it was on my Daddy's side.I have three bangle bracelets with a buckle,two are matching. They are all quite small so I assumed they were for a youth. They were in with many other children's pieces from her. My jeweler shared the picture I sent with an antiques appraiser and that is what he relayed back to me.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Apparently there was a Victorian tradition that a man would give a bangle upon engagement to his lady and then the matching one is given to her, on their wedding day. I have a pair of them from 1872.They are called wedding bracelets/bangles and mine just happen to be with a buckle.There are many different styles from what I googled. I read up on them yesterday after my jeweler told me what they are. I am not sure who received them but it was on my Daddy's side.I have three bangle bracelets with a buckle,two are matching. They are all quite small so I assumed they were for a youth. They were in with many other children's pieces from her. My jeweler shared the picture I sent with an antiques appraiser and that is what he relayed back to me.

Wow !
They sound lovelly
Its a shame we wear so much less jewlery these days than ladies did in the past

MMtwo

Ideal_Rock
Thank you for exploring and sharing your questions (and photos!) with us. I doubt we ever tire of looking at beautiful jewelry, and even more fun to explore your treasures with you as you (and we) learn more about them.

The Victorian bangles are so fine and lovely, what a treat to see them.

Last edited:

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for exploring and sharing your questions (and photos!) with us. I doubt we ever tire of looking at beautiful jewelry, and even more fund to explore your treasures with you as you (and we) learn more about them.

The Victorian bangles are so fine and lovely, what a treat to see them.

Thank you. I am enjoying looking at different threads this morning. I hope to figure out how to navigate and if there is a rhyme or reason to different discussions.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ive just been admiting Grandma's brooch in another thread
Its a treasure trove !

May i gently enquire when her jewlery came into your possession?
Do you wear much if it ? ( i hope so)

Tinkybell

Shiny_Rock
Ive just been admiting Grandma's brooch in another thread
Its a treasure trove !

May i gently enquire when her jewlery came into your possession?
Do you wear much if it ? ( i hope so)
I received most of it in 2009 when my Daddy passed .He was the keeper of most of the family treasures from both his sides of his family. My MIL passed in 2017 and I received her pieces, mostly newer. My Mom is living and has many pieces from her side and from her sister, that never had children .She has given me several pieces and every thing I have posted pictures of, I wear. I have some pieces I don't care for and some in need of restoration .I still have boxes of jewelry from my Dad I have not gone through. My Grandpa was a Mason and I have several gold ,platinum and diamond pins and medals from him.I'll get to it one day. I know very little about Masonic collectibles.

I am going to post two more pieces I need help with as soon I figure out what thread. I am going to look around a bit this morning to see.They are both antique, so I am assuming that is where I will go.

Reactions: AV_
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results