shape
carat
color
clarity

Mikimoto pearl bracelet

robotsunfish

Rough_Rock
I'm thinking about purchasing a Mikimoto pearl station bracelet or regular pearl bracelet, and was wondering how Mikimoto handles shortening bracelets. I don't have a Mikimoto store in my area, and it doesn't look like the online store offers options to shorten/resize when you purchase. Is shortening complimentary when you purchase, and do you get to keep the pearls that are taken off?

lissyflo

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think a phone call to a miki boutique or an email to their customer service address is the best way to answer this.

I’m sure you’d retain any removed pearls; if you have to buy the full length bracelet to start with then you’ve paid for them so why wouldn’t you be entitled to keep them?

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pearl Paradise shortened a bracelet for me for free and sent the extra pearls in a little pouch, I can’t imagine Miki would be any different. No idea what to do with my pearls, though!

robotsunfish

Rough_Rock
Thanks all! I'm still thinking about this purchase, but I'll report back if I do go forward with it

ittypea

Rough_Rock
Hey! My husband and I recently bought a necklace from Mikimoto, our SA (from the Las Vegas store) was very helpful and I could share her information if you'd like. Or I believe other PSer have trusted SA at other Mikimoto stores if another one is closer to you.

I chose a necklace that only had 1 in that size and grade but wanted it shortened from 18" to 16". They sent the necklace back to the NYC Flagship store for shortening and offered us two options: 1. to pay the full price and keep the extra pearls (and an option to make a station bracelet w/ the extra pearls + extra cost) or 2. get the necklace for however much they determine to be after the extra pearls were removed. We chose not to keep the extra pearls and took $$ off of the original strand. The restringing was complimentary at the time of purchase for shortening, but they said restringing after you've purchased would be $85 (or $100?) each time. They were super accommodating with my questions and requests. Hope this helps!

edit: they also were flexible with changing the clasp because I wanted yellow gold, all without any additional charge (it's a 1-1 exchange).
and p.s. we somehow were not charged sales tax because of the back and forth and not being charged at the physical store. Not intentional but it was definitely a perk given the value of the necklace.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I don’t know about the specifics of anyone’s purchases but just a PSA that if one isn’t charged sales tax at time of purchase, one needs to declare the purchase when filing his or her annual state tax return - and pay use tax per that state’s tax regulations. To not pay use tax in a state that requires it is tax evasion and is criminal.

Of course if your state’s sales/use tax is less than what you’d have been charged had you picked a piece up in-person in another state or city - you can still (legally!) come out ahead by having things shipped out to you!

Last edited:

ittypea

Rough_Rock
I don’t know about the specifics of anyone’s purchases but just a PSA that if one isn’t charged sales tax at time of purchase, one needs to declare the purchase when filing his or her annual state tax return - and pay use tax per that state’s tax regulations. To not pay use tax in a state that requires it is tax evasion and is criminal.

Of course if your state’s sales/use tax is less than what you’d have been charged had you picked a piece up in-person in another state or city - you can still (legally!) come out ahead by having things shipped out to you!

Omg I didn't know that! Definitely don't want to be accidentally committing a crime... :shock:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It’s a topic that comes up a fair bit on the diamond boards but less so in pearls for whatever reasons! I also have never been charged sales tax at time of purchase by Mikimoto - I buy by phone from the NYC flagship and have parcels shipped to my home/office in another state because I wouldn’t feel safe walking around NYC with new pieces in packaging!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Pearl Paradise shortened a bracelet for me for free and sent the extra pearls in a little pouch, I can’t imagine Miki would be any different. No idea what to do with my pearls, though!

if nothing else perfectly matched spares if you ever get any damage
how many did you get ?

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hey! My husband and I recently bought a necklace from Mikimoto, our SA (from the Las Vegas store) was very helpful and I could share her information if you'd like. Or I believe other PSer have trusted SA at other Mikimoto stores if another one is closer to you.

I chose a necklace that only had 1 in that size and grade but wanted it shortened from 18" to 16". They sent the necklace back to the NYC Flagship store for shortening and offered us two options: 1. to pay the full price and keep the extra pearls (and an option to make a station bracelet w/ the extra pearls + extra cost) or 2. get the necklace for however much they determine to be after the extra pearls were removed. We chose not to keep the extra pearls and took $$ off of the original strand. The restringing was complimentary at the time of purchase for shortening, but they said restringing after you've purchased would be $85 (or $100?) each time. They were super accommodating with my questions and requests. Hope this helps!

edit: they also were flexible with changing the clasp because I wanted yellow gold, all without any additional charge (it's a 1-1 exchange).
and p.s. we somehow were not charged sales tax because of the back and forth and not being charged at the physical store. Not intentional but it was definitely a perk given the value of the necklace.

we definatly need pictues
( i hate tax, especially any form of sales tax)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results