shape
carat
color
clarity

Might pull the trigger (mid 2ct cushion) (ASET inside)

N5Y0

Rough_Rock
Just received the ASET images I've been waiting for. The other ASET was a total dud. This one looks pretty good:

< Image attached... >

Cut: Ideal
Color: I
Clarity: VS1
Certificate: GIA
Depth: 67.7%
Table: 55.0%
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Girdle: Medium to slightly thick, faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: None
Measurements: 8.50*7.55*5.11
Ratio: 1.13

So close to pulling the trigger on this one... Anyone have input (to either ease my mind or shake me from a bad buy)?

1319144aset.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
the image does not show up on my screen? can you try reposting it?

N5Y0

Rough_Rock
There we go. I've attached it instead of embedding it. Sorry.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
do you have the link to the stone?

N5Y0

Rough_Rock
Here is the picture (i hope that is what you mean). All the other info from the diamond page was provided above. It is $17.5k :confused:

R4oJS.jpg

N5Y0

Rough_Rock
Oh and the report...

r40Wu.jpg

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks pretty nice! what did JA gemologist say?

N5Y0

Rough_Rock
Quoted from email:

I have great news, our gemologist has determined that diamond A is a beautiful and bright, eye clean cushion that has a nice outline. The gemologist called it a very pretty stone and says that it is the hands down winner.

Diamond B is not recommended due to its cut and dark appearance.

Diamond A is a great diamond that will look beautiful in person. It has a nice sparkle and will look stunning in any setting.

slg47

Ideal_Rock
well if you are looking for a 2 ct modern cushion I think you have found a winner!

N5Y0

Rough_Rock
Really??! Can you elaborate on what makes you say that or what I may be missing here?

Also, I am a total newcomer to this. I have 20+k sitting in savings now. How do I secure payment to them? I am thinking I transfer it to checking and then go to the brick and mortar bank and have them wire it?

slg47

Ideal_Rock
I have no idea how bank wire works, ask your bank?

I am not a cushion expert but to me that one looks to be pretty bright, ASET looks good, JA review is good. If you search for cushions there are a lot that just look either really dark or just not...clear in the facet pattern.

N5Y0

Rough_Rock
Thanks! I hope someone who is privy to cushion stones can take a look before I make the final call tomorrow.

dani13

Ideal_Rock
I think it looks beautiful!!!!!

Bank wiring is easy...You'll need JA'S wiring info (they'll give it to you). Just bring that info to your bank, they'll plug in the info (there may be a small fee), and VOILA!!! You'll have confirmation that the funds were wired successfully from your bank account to JA'S.
Super simple!

How do you plan on setting the stone? Please come back with pics when its all done, and Good luck!!! :appl:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I guess I'll be the lone voice of dissent... I don't love it, honestly.

It's not *that* it won't be bright - assuming the JA ASET is properly taken (which I'm actually not totally confident about looking at it but my monitor isn't all that great so I could be seeing things) it's a lot of red.

It's that under that table there's that big splotch of red surrounded by large areas of adjacent white/blue - I think the disparity between central strong, direct light return and the halo of weaker and/or poor light return will be pretty obvious in all lights, so you'll always see that demarcation under the table. What I mean is - I rather think in sunlight that central area will look very dark and you'll see that halo area of weaker light return as nice and bright, and in lower/indirect light conditions the central area will be bright and the halo area will be dark and dull.. a video - or even some tilted ASETs - would be really helpful here..

But, I am no cushion expert - maybe this is just par for the course w/ the design of these sorts of cushions, and I'm just spoilt by RBs?! I do agree that the facet patterning looks nice and clear and not-mushy in those pics, compared to some other cushions

sparkly5

Rough_Rock
While searching for my cushion cut, I saw a lot of mediocre and sad ASET images. In contrast, yours looks like it has a lot more red, but I'm no expert. Good luck with your decision, and I'll update my posts when I find one too!

edit: You were going for a rectangular ratio?

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Honestly, I'd have them re-take the Aset.

N5Y0

Rough_Rock
I asked 2 service people for retaken ASETs. Not sure if they'll oblige but who knows. I hope this doesn't prevent me from keeping this on hold.

Yes, she prefers rectangular. I personally liked square cushion more.

N5Y0

Rough_Rock
Yssie, thakn you for your dissent. I was hoping for someone to hopefully throw spokes into this.

I have asked for the tilted ASETs at varied angles and hopefully they can get back to me.

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I don't think another ASET will help you decide on this one. My opinion on this one is that it is well worth seeing in person. That is about the only way to know for sure if it shows the light issue that Yssie mentions, and if it does, whether that matters to you. Finding nice modern cushions is very hard and to my eye this one ticks all the necessary boxes to warrant an in person inspection -- good looking facet pattern, nice looking ASET, good report from a person who has seen it in person. JA has a phenomenal return policy -- I think 60 days and they pay the return shipping -- so there is very little risk.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Dreamer_D|1304647431|2913566 said:
I don't think another ASET will help you decide on this one. My opinion on this one is that it is well worth seeing in person. That is about the only way to know for sure if it shows the light issue that Yssie mentions, and if it does, whether that matters to you. Finding nice modern cushions is very hard and to my eye this one ticks all the necessary boxes to warrant an in person inspection -- good looking facet pattern, nice looking ASET, good report from a person who has seen it in person. JA has a phenomenal return policy -- I think 60 days and they pay the return shipping -- so there is very little risk.
I agree. You need to see it in person. I purchased my cushion after seeing it in person and falling in love with it. She'll be wearing the stone on her finger and not the ASET image, after all.

That being said, it looks promising at least. I'd bring it in and see what you think.

N5Y0

Rough_Rock
Oh wow. THEY pay return? Is there any catch or can I return for any reason?

Once I get diamond what should I do? Specifically how can I test myself?

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
N5Y0|1304648618|2913588 said:
Oh wow. THEY pay return? Is there any catch or can I return for any reason?

Once I get diamond what should I do? Specifically how can I test myself?

Yes, their new policies are really awesome, I am very impressed. No catches, JA has a very fine reputation on pricescope. http://www.jamesallen.com/about-us/risk-free-retail.html

To test it yourself you basically need to take the stone into many different lighting environments and look at it! See whether it has unpleasant dark areas in some lighting, or unpleasant contrast between the center and the inner circle as Yssie described. It is not so much a test as a test-drive. You want a stone that is bright and full of life and appealing to your eye in as many lighting environments (e.g., bright sun, cloudy day, incandescent lighting, indirect dim lighting etc etc) as you can find. Diamonds look very different depending on the lighting. But a well cut stone should not have dark or "dead" areas that distract you, and it should always show some "life", meaning that the facets will light up in patterns as you move the stone.

N5Y0

Rough_Rock
Great! I think I'll take the plunge. The only bummer so far I've found through them is that NY and Maryland are subject to sales tax. Unfortunately, I'll have to pony up the 8+ % if I go with them. Any ideas on avoiding this?

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results