shape
carat
color
clarity

Might be getting a kitty! Keep your fingers crossed!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Last weekend FI and I went into a pet store to play with the puppies and ended up falling in love with a kitty, Pearl, that was being shown by a rescue group. I''ve always loved cats and FI loves all animals so we put in an application for her. They finally called us back yesterday after we''d left 2 messages (we really want her!) and said that they''d like to set up a meeting at the pet store this weekend and assuming all goes well, we''ll be able to take her home with us.

Pearl, whose name will be changed once we offically adopt her, is an all white cat with blue eyes. She''s about 3 years old, is front declawed and is absolutely perfect for us. She gets along with other animals and is very friendly. As soon as they let me hold her, she started purring
1.gif

Apparently this rescue group is very picky about who they let adopt their animals though. The lady told me that she''s had other applications for Pearl, but she just didn''t *feel* like any of them were right. She said one of the reasons she likes us is because FI has a nice voice and sounded like a really nice person in his message. While she''s dead on about FI
9.gif
, I''m a bit worried that maybe she''s really random about chooising people and she won''t like us for some silly reason like we look really young or something (we''re always being carded whenver we buy alcohol and a few months ago I was actually told by a Best Buy employee that I needed to be 17 to purchase a video game...uh...I''m almost 24...).

Please keep your fingers crossed that everything goes well this weekend!

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Best of luck!

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck Robbie!

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Fingers crossed for ya Robbie!!! I just love kitties!!!

oshinbreez

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck Robbie. Hope you get her.

allycat0303

Ideal_Rock
She sounds beautiful! I was researching white cats at one point, and came upon this explanation that white cats with blue or odd colored eyes have a higher chance of being deaf, so something to look into when you are planning her care. I hope she is the kitty for you! Cats are such a joy!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Thanks everyone! Ally, I''ve heard that too, but the rescue group doesn''t seem to think she''s deaf, and she seemed to react when FI and I called her name, so we don''t think she is either.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
Yay Robbie! I hope you get her!

Rescue group people can seem to be a little weird about their choosiness, but they just want to make sure she finds the right home because it can be traumatic to go from home to home. Reassure her that you know the basics of cat care and that you will provide her a home for the rest of her life. If she''s 3 now, that could be another 20 years! Do a little research so you''ll know which vet near your apartment you''ll go to, think about where you''ll put the litter box, where you''ll feed her, how you''ll care for her when you''re out of town... these are all questions they should ask you and it''s good to have your answers ready!

I was completely surprised to go through interviews to bring home my cats, since I''ve had cats my whole life, but they just want to make sure you know what you''re getting into. Hope you get to bring the kitty home!

omieluv

Ideal_Rock
Will keep my fingers crossed that the rescue organization selects you and your FI.

When I adopted my cat, I went through an interview process as well. Apparently, little Omie had fan following. The problem with Omie is, she does not like other cats, which is difficult b/c many of the people interested in her had cats. She also has a very strong personality, which I like to call her "cattitude." Being a diva, she is very vocal and has fits when she does not get what she wants. So, her foster mom tripple checked with me to find out if I could deal with that. My response was "she sounds perfect, when can I take her home?" Her foster mom looked at me like I was crazy, but she said that she got a good "vibe" off of me (I had told her I wanted a cat having a bit of attitude prior to asking about Omie).

Her foster mom named her Omarosa, after the contestant on the 1st episode of The Apprentice. The name is quite fitting in many ways. However, since adopting her, she has become quite loving and has transformed from diva into a socialite. I must say that she has excellent taste. She can always sniff out a new purse from Coach after a shopping spree!

I will say this though, after I was selected, her foster mom wanted to take her to the vet to get her a rabies shot, so I had to wait a week to bring her home. I swear, that was the longest week of my life!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
ahh...I am such a cat lover. I love my two little guys. Good luck!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY Robbie!!!

Definitely study up on your cat care, if your not up on it already. And just be yourself. I volunteered for a picky shelter... and am quite picky myself. You do get a vibe from some people that you don''t get from others good or bad. And as a shelter helper you get attached. You know how YOU would treat that cat... how much you would love and care for her. And you want to find a home as good as, or better than your own for them. So... give the picky lady a little leeway. The cat sounds like a love... and if you love her, you can be sure she does too.

lumpkin

Ideal_Rock
Awwww, I really hope you get her. She sounds precious.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, I hope it happens for you!

The rescue people being picky wouldn''t bother me - I appreciate the time and effort they put in, and at the end of the day, they really just want what''s best for the animal, especially an animal that has been mistreated. In their line of work they see a lot of bad stuff. So I tend to give them some slack.

I hope the meeting goes well. Being a cat adorer myself, I know how much joy they bring to our lives. Nothing beats a purring cat lying next to you. Good luck.
emlove.gif
emcat.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
how exciting. I love kitties!

anchor31

Ideal_Rock
I adore cats... I hope you get her!

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/1/2007 6:43:15 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Well, I hope it happens for you!

The rescue people being picky wouldn''t bother me - I appreciate the time and effort they put in, and at the end of the day, they really just want what''s best for the animal, especially an animal that has been mistreated. In their line of work they see a lot of bad stuff. So I tend to give them some slack.

I hope the meeting goes well. Being a cat adorer myself, I know how much joy they bring to our lives. Nothing beats a purring cat lying next to you. Good luck.
emlove.gif
emcat.gif
Ditto! I think it''s great that now this animal has a group looking out for its best interests, and it is maybe one of those things people think is weird but is done out of love and support for animals...I''d rather have an animal from a sort of over-zealous rescue group than some random person just trying to get rid of their cat, ya know?

Robbie, I''m sending good vibes your way in hopes that Pearl (soon to be known by a cuter name, although I think "pearl" is possibly PS related and a sign that you should have her, hee hee) and you and FI will soon be a family. Good for you for adopting an "older" animal and I wish you the best!

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I hope you get her Robbie!

I have an amber eyed white Persian and he is as deaf as a post, bless him. When I hoover, he chases it and wants to be with it, he can''t hear it at all, whereas the other cats scatter! So Pearl might be ok in the hearing department, I used to think it was blue eyed cats only or would be deaf on the blue eyed side if odd coloured, but my vet said apparently not.

Let us know how you get on!

Cind11

Brilliant_Rock
I hope you get her too. A lot of people don't want a cat that is already an adult, so it's wonderful you want to adopt her. I think it's good that the rescue group is so particular, they don't want the animals to go through anymore than they already have.

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for the good luck wishes everyone! We haven''t heard from the Rescue Worker again yet, but if we haven''t heard from her by Saturday afternoon we''ll give her a call.

I definitely appreciate the efforts that rescue groups make to find good homes for abandoned and abused animals.

I love all cats to death, but really didn''t want a kitten. We''re only allowed to have declawed cats and I know I wouldn''t be able to put a cat through that. Plus, I like being able to see what a cat''s personality is like. It''s kind of hard to tell with kittens how they''ll be when they grow up.

Right now, FI is really pushing the name "Rain." I''m not sure if it fits her, though. I told him we should wait until we bring her home to decide.

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
definitely let her tell you her name! She might have a preference!

When I got Lucy, I really wanted to name her Sophie, but it just didn''t fit her. I read a list of baby names (I wanted a person name for her) and when I said "Lucy", she perked up, looked at me and blinked. I said "that''s your name, isn''t it?" She took to it immediately! She''ll tell you her name, you just have to ask her.

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
Good luck, Robbie! We had a total of probably 9-10 cats while I was growing up (through my whole life, not at a time!!) and I totally agree about the adult cat thing--the only cats that were trouble for my family (ripping up furniture, not using the litterbox, etc.) were ones that were adopted as kittens. Our BEST cats were ones that were adults when they came to us--we knew what their personality would be right off. Kinda the opposite of dogs, huh?

Pearl sounds sooo adorable! I hope that they choose you as her family.

Sum, that's so funny about Lucy choosing her name! Animals are so funny that way
1.gif

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
I hope you get your kitty, too! I am a crazy cat lady and have three, all of them rescues. I got my newest kitty from a rescue group that has their cats in a little room with cages at PetSmart, but they didn''t seem as picky as the people you''re hopefully getting yours from.

I think it''s kind of mean for the rescue group to be super crazy picky about who gets to adopt a cat who needs a home. What''s better for the cat, being in a cage for weeks or going home with a family who wants them?

I definitely think there should be a strict application process and a good sized adoption fee to weed out anyone who is irresponsible or who had bad intentions, but keeping a cat from people who will love it just doesn''t seem right! However, it''s better to be too picky than not picky enough!

Anyways,I wish you the best of luck and I hope you hear from them soon and can take Pearl/Rain home this weekend!

robbie3982

Ideal_Rock
Yay! We got her! She''s currently hiding downstairs, though. We haven''t decided on a name yet, but I made sure that we got her a pink rhinestone collar at the pet store. She looks so pretty
1.gif

doobao

Shiny_Rock
Congradulations on the new family addition!
It''s so nice that she''s found a forever home~
36.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
aaaaah, very exciting; congrats on the new little addition
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Aww, I''m so happy you guys got her Robbie. She sounds adorable!!! Once she gets comforatble you have to post some pics of her. Love that she is a rescue too!!!
36.gif

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Congratulations on your new baby!!!!!
36.gif
I can''t wait to see pictures.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY!!!! Now go take a million, bajillion pictures for us. When she comes out of course.
2.gif
Mine hid under the bed for 3 days. But she''s totally neurotic.
9.gif

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
YAY!!!

Duncan hid for two days, then decided he was the king of the house on the third... and has remained that way ever since.

YAY for your princess!!!

Pictures, do not forget the pictures! Oh.. and have her teeth double and triple checked by the vet when you take her in (you need to take her in very soon BTW).

sumbride

Ideal_Rock
YAY!!! I''m so glad she''s come home with you! And she''s already got bling... what a lucky kitty! Congratulations to all of you!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results