shape
carat
color
clarity

Michelle Duggar Pregnant with 18th Child

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2008 9:27:06 PM
Author: ahappygirl
DS - last post about ''selfish'' - AMEN. Seriously. I''ve had to stay off this thread since early on. It''s giving me a mild headache.

face1.gif
I need pie.
I figured all mothers would relate to that!
1.gif

Thanks for the pie, Skippy!
36.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 9:55:45 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

DS - last post about ''selfish'' - AMEN. Seriously. I''ve had to stay off this thread since early on. It''s giving me a mild headache.

face1.gif
I need pie.
1.gif

36.gif
Ditto
2.gif

Lemon Meringue for me, haven''t had that in ages, virtual pie, is sooo awesome, no calories. Hehe.
31.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/3/2008 6:36:21 PM
Author: HollyS

Date: 6/3/2008 5:44:13 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring

Date: 6/3/2008 5:25:49 PM
Author: ksinger

Date: 6/3/2008 11:36:38 AM

Author: Tacori E-ring

ksinger, how are the Duggar''s impacting your life?

I think we are all above thinking slavery is tolerable.
Where exactly are you going by asking? Is it relevant to what I said?

You said ''I for one don''t believe it is intolerant to point out that people''s choices, even ones as ''none of your business'' as having children or not having them, do have an impact on others, directly or indirectly, and that the impact to society may indeed be negative.''

So I was just curious how it impacts your life (as a member of society).
Does everythiing have to impact us ''personally'' for it to matter to us? For it to be a sticking point, something we object to on a moral level, or just have a strong opinion about?

My strong opinion, moral objection, and sticking point is that anyone would willfully choose to have 18 children without regard to how it will impact their family''s life. Forget society at large.

I don''t care what their religion is. I don''t give a hoot about home schooling. I don''t think about the Duggars on a daily basis, and rant about their (idiotic to me) choices; but when I see them in print, I do have a sense of ''Jesus, not again''. I can assure you, I never think ''well, good for them''.

"Well here is what one person on the Quiverfull site says. I am assuming he is pretty representative of what the group''s beliefs entail:

There are other questions. How can anyone afford this? Ken Carpenter has a good business producing videos for some of Nashville''s biggest names. That puts a roof over their head. And what about planning for his children''s college education? He isn''t sure about college, but it isn''t about the money.

"There is a mindset and worldview that''s taught on a college campus that is in conflict with the scripture we read this morning," he said.

23.gif

The Carpenter children are home-schooled. Ken Carpenter hopes his sons find professions and that his daughters learn to be mothers. He believes that it is a woman''s primary function to become a mother. And a father''s primary function?

"I think a dad ought to be the primary instiller of wisdom and ought to be teaching his sons leadership," he said."

Now, if a woman is trained only to be a mother, and let''s say that her life doesn''t go exactly according to a script devised by her parents, a script where education past highschool is discouraged and where a man is taking care of her and the children financially, the chances of that woman and her children going on public assistance is increased.
There is an impact.
Many studies have shown that decreased fertility can help create conditions for economic growth. So what is having 18 children, of which probably none of the girls will have a college education, going to do to economic growth? It is pretty universally accepted these days in the US that nothing more than a highschool education is woefully inadequate for the world these kids will be facing.
There is an impact.

".....The economic and social benefits of fertility decline are considerable. It lowers the dependency burden, which should increase national savings. It increases the labour force as a proportion of the population, and via its employment effects in turn helps to boost per capita incomes. The effect on economic growth can be considerable – some estimates suggest that up to 2 percentage points of annual per capita income growth in East and South-East Asian countries was due to this demographic effect of declining fertility (Bloom and Williamson, 1998). High female education in these countries could thus have contributed substantially to their economic boom. (UNESCO study)...."

Low women''s status leads to high fertility, and high women''s status leads to low fertility. Care to guess what status is being put forth by Quiverfull? Read above. And this family is creating more people who will believe that women''s status is only to produce and rear children. Are we as a society happy about going backwards in attitude? What would be the impact on hard-won rights if this thinking became the norm? Are you so totally sure that it will not, that you will never speak against the parts of it you think are potentially damaging? Are you willing to be that tolerant? In the words of Chris Hedges, "Tolerance is a virtue, but tolerance coupled with passivity is a vice."

As for the slavery reference, you may have missed the point I was trying to make, which was that we make choices on what to tolerate every day. In what I call the "great cult of tolerance" we seem to have in the US, it''s as if we can make no distinctions any more about what is better or worse without being howled at for being "intolerant". Tolerance means only that - I do not have to like it, or think it is an equal choice, in the vast sea of choices. Some choices ARE better than others. In a world that has become so small, to claim much longer that my personal choices have no impact on others it just plain stupid.

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 10:02:49 PM
Author: Kaleigh

Date: 6/3/2008 9:55:45 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006

DS - last post about 'selfish' - AMEN. Seriously. I've had to stay off this thread since early on. It's giving me a mild headache.

face1.gif
I need pie.
1.gif

36.gif
Ditto
2.gif

Lemon Meringue for me, haven't had that in ages, virtual pie, is sooo awesome, no calories. Hehe.
31.gif
Oh boy, I thought we were having pie.
20.gif

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Guys guys! I''m trying hard, but how can I be serious when there''s pie??? Oh whatever......sigh.....has anyone seen a piece of French Silk lying around? I''m dying for a slice....

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 10:52:19 PM
Guys guys! I'm trying hard, but how can I be serious when there's pie??? Oh whatever......sigh.....has anyone seen a piece of French Silk lying around? I'm dying for a slice....
Let's not be serious and move on to pie. Pie is more important imho. hehe
9.gif
28.gif
French silk coming right up!
3.gif

Lisa, Lemon coming right up too! You too DS
2.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Haha! That''s the spirit, Karen. Dig in!!!!

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 10:57:13 PM
Author: Skippy123

Guys guys! I''m trying hard, but how can I be serious when there''s pie??? Oh whatever......sigh.....has anyone seen a piece of French Silk lying around? I''m dying for a slice....
Let''s not be serious and move on to pie. Pie is more important imho. hehe
9.gif
28.gif
3.gif

2.gif
UMMM Hello??? Where is my lemon merigue?? I am hungry. Sheesh, can''t get good service here....
31.gif

But I kept Dancingfire waiting for his Remy Martin in a another infamous thread so guess I''m not such a great server either. LOL.
9.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 11:31:28 PM

Guys guys! I'm trying hard, but how can I be serious when there's pie??? Oh whatever......sigh.....has anyone seen a piece of French Silk lying around? I'm dying for a slice....
Let's not be serious and move on to pie. Pie is more important imho. hehe
9.gif
28.gif
3.gif

2.gif
UMMM Hello??? Where is my lemon merigue?? I am hungry. Sheesh, can't get good service here....
31.gif

But I kept Dancingfire waiting for his Remy Martin in a another infamous thread so guess I'm not such a great server either. LOL.
9.gif
LOL, ops, here you go, guess I had too many Margaritas this evening dear
emcocktl.gif
face20.gif

CreamyLemonPie.jpg

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 11:31:28 PM

Let''s not be serious and move on to pie. Pie is more important imho. hehe
9.gif
28.gif
3.gif

2.gif
UMMM Hello??? Where is my lemon merigue?? I am hungry. Sheesh, can''t get good service here....
31.gif

But I kept Dancingfire waiting for his Remy Martin in a another infamous thread so guess I''m not such a great server either. LOL.
9.gif
Jeez Lisa! I had no idea you were this hungry! I would never have kept you waiting. Here''s a piece!!!!! (pic courtesy of ilovesparkles)

ready%20to%20eat.jpg

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Oh see, now you have too much pie! LOL, Skippy is quicker than me even when she''s all liquored up on margaritas!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 11:47:01 PM
Author: Miranda
Oh see, now you have too much pie! LOL, Skippy is quicker than me even when she''s all liquored up on margaritas!
lol.gif
LOL, Miranda you are cracking me up!! Well the more pie the better, right? Cheers
martini.gif

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 11:56:58 PM

lol.gif
LOL, Miranda you are cracking me up!! Well the more pie the better, right? Cheers
martini.gif
I have to stop reading about lemon pie tonight. All I have for a bedtime snack is Cookie Crisp!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2008 12:00:16 AM

Date: 6/3/2008 11:56:58 PM

lol.gif
martini.gif
I have to stop reading about lemon pie tonight. All I have for a bedtime snack is Cookie Crisp!
I know me too! I just had a pudding snack; I want pie for REALS
39.gif
LOL
41.gif

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thanks ladies!!!
18.gif
18.gif
I am a happy girl now, LOL.

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
ksinger, I don''t feeling like doing the super long quote, but what you wrote regarding Ken Carpenter is one of the things I read that disturbed me so much. I completely agree with your thoughts on tolerance as well. Your post summed up my thoughts well!

Now...I am also unable to continue with the seriousness when I see a giant scoop of ice cream on top of apple pie! Seriously, my stomach is growling...may I please have some apple pie with extra vanilla ice cream, Skippy?
1.gif

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Pie time it is!

Anyone know where I can find a piece of homemade pumpkin pie? I figure it''ll be worth at least one serving of vegetables! Add whipping cream, and I can even claim a serving of dairy stuff!
2.gif

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
I''m a key lime girl myself - pie please!
emsmile.gif

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I will take a big hunk of cherry pie, with golden flaky sugary pastry, with a double scoop of cinnamon ice cream on it please.
30.gif

iwannaprettyone

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/3/2008 9:19:43 PM
Author: jas
*walks into thread, sniffing around*

Pie?

I am laughing so hard right now.
9.gif

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/4/2008 7:59:24 AM
Author: vespergirl
I''m a key lime girl myself - pie please!
emsmile.gif
Me too, but I think they forgot ours!
39.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, more pie's. KeyLime for Vesp adn DS since she is sweet !! Lorelei, there's your cherry, honey! Ice cream melted.
15.gif

klpmmm.jpg
0404_tlaprmsl_topic4.jpg

3075-piesamp.jpg

iheartscience

Super_Ideal_Rock
Thank God you''re here, Skippy! I haven''t eaten since last night because I''ve been saving room for pie!
3.gif

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/4/2008 11:05:43 PM
Author: thing2of2
Thank God you're here, Skippy! I haven't eaten since last night because I've been saving room for pie!
3.gif
lol.gif
LOL, Love it, you are too cute Thing! You won't go hungry now.
2.gif
18.gif

Don't those little pies look soooo cute!

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
No pie...OK...just crust please. I''m watching my figure...grow...and I''ve already had the baby...
39.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 6/5/2008 2:01:46 AM
Author: TravelingGal
No pie...OK...just crust please. I''m watching my figure...grow...and I''ve already had the baby...
39.gif

Oh. You mean I can just have the crust?
Not much of a pie person, but oh, THE CRUST
30.gif

Can I have cake too?

TravelingGal, you need your strength to take care of that baby!

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
OMG - that key lime pie looks so good - thanks Skippy!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/5/2008 2:24:02 PM
Author: vespergirl
OMG - that key lime pie looks so good - thanks Skippy!
Indeed it does!!! It is beautiful, too! I can almost taste it! Thanks, Skippy!

LAJennifer

Ideal_Rock
How did I miss the pie? Is anyone having Coconut Cream?

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good grief....joining Vespergirl for Key Lime pie...
9.gif
36.gif
Thanks, Skippy!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results