shape
carat
color
clarity

Michael B Princess rings style differences

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Well, as many of you know I am in the process of getting a new wedding set. I have always loved the Michael B princess rings and knew one was step down or fishtail pave and the other was beadset pave. the princess rings also come in 2 widths, 2mm and 2.2mm. I called Bill Pearlmans and was asking way to many questions about the differences and he made the very generous offer to ship the 2 wedding bands to me so I can see the differences in person. The fishtail pave ring is 2.2mm and the beadset pave is a even daintier 2mm. I've taken a bunch of pictures but they differences are much more noticeable in person but at least everyone can get an idea. Also, the workmanship and details of the rings are just spectacular, it's obvious they are very well made.

Here they are on the same hand so you can see the slight difference in width.

MBprincessstep1.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
another side by side

michaelbprincessstep2.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Here''s the sideview of the fishtale pave ring

Mbfishtailsideview3.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
another side by side

MBsidebyside4.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
one more side by side

mbsidebyside5.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
here''s the fishtail

fishtailMB12.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
fishtail side angle

mBfishtailsidetwist.jpg

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
last one, here''s the side of the beadset ring just to compare.

MBbeadsetside8.jpg

sunkist

Ideal_Rock
Ooo, what a neat comparison. How nice of Pearlman''s to let you try them out! Which one do you like better?

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
Wow that bead-set ring is amazing it is all sparkle and so dainty!
30.gif

Demelza

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I agree that the beadset ring looks better. I don''t know why exactly, but the fishtail looks a bit cut up and sharp. Also, the diamonds look further apart. The beadset seems to be more diamond and less metal somehow. Is that accurate? Oh, I can''t wait to see what you get. I''m sure it will be stunning!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like the beadset a whole lot better. I actually thought I wanted the fishtale and am so glad I got to see them again in person. If I do the MB setting though, I want the diamond prongs which can''t be done on the petite one-sided princess so I''d have to go with the 2.2mm beadset. The fishtail can be done in the 2mm size too.

Kaleigh

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m loving the beadset as well. How nice of Bill Pearlman to send them to you so you can get a feel for them. I''m soooo excited for you and can''t wait to see what you decide on for your new wedding set. The beadset is just beautiful, love it!!!
30.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2006 10:53:44 PM
Author: Demelza
Oh, I agree that the beadset ring looks better. I don''t know why exactly, but the fishtail looks a bit cut up and sharp. Also, the diamonds look further apart. The beadset seems to be more diamond and less metal somehow. Is that accurate? Oh, I can''t wait to see what you get. I''m sure it will be stunning!!!

yes, the setting looks more cut up and sharp. it doesn''t feel that way at all though, very comfy from what I can tell and yes, it seems like more fluid sparkle with the beadset and more metal on the fishtail.

MissSL

Rough_Rock
Ooh those are beautiful! I think I may have to go take a peek at some Michael B''s this weekend. This is the band I would like as well...

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2006 10:58:59 PM
Author: kaleigh
I''m loving the beadset as well. How nice of Bill Pearlman to send them to you so you can get a feel for them. I''m soooo excited for you and can''t wait to see what you decide on for your new wedding set. The beadset is just beautiful, love it!!!
30.gif

I can''t wait until I decide too
20.gif
2.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
ok, so I have my new set narrowed down to 3 choices. The MB one-sided princess, the MB 3 sided princess ( which is probably out b/c I actually like the one-sided and seeing some metal) and of course the Daniel K split crown. i emailed pics of the settings to my sister who isn't really into jewelry and she emailed back that she thought they all looked the same
23.gif
. Anyway, she was here tonight and i showed her the rings and there is hope because she could easily tell the difference between the MB rings and she tried them on and fell in love. She's celebrating here 2 year anniversary and she said she might ask her hubby to buy her on of MB bands to wear with her wedding set
36.gif

radiantgirl

Shiny_Rock
I''ve been looking at the Michael B. Princess collection as well and so in love with his line. Since my hands are so small and my ring size is a 3, I am going to get the petite princess, which is 2.0 mm. I, too have contemplating between the bead set or the v-set pave.

I am going to end up getting the v-set (fishtail as you guys are calling it) pave instead. My reasoning is that I feel the bead set from far away looks like channel setting, which I don''t like at all. The v-setting just looks like a better pave job, in my opinion. The bead setting does look cleaner, but I feel like it has a more 2 dimensional look and feel to it.

Either one is beautiful though and both are very comfortable.
1.gif

MissSL

Rough_Rock
That''s too funny about your sister-my sister is exactly the same way! I could send her all sorts of pictures or show her things and she could care less. Ugh!

I have a true confession-I have never seen the Michael B rings in person just in a picture. I think I will stop by this weekend so I can oooh and ahhh in person.

It is so good to hear they are as beautiful in person.

It''s fun having others to chat with about all of this!
19.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2006 11:21:46 PM
Author: MissSL

I have a true confession-I have never seen the Michael B rings in person just in a picture. I think I will stop by this weekend so I can oooh and ahhh in person.

Definitely see them in person. I say it all the time on here how important it is to see rings in person if at all possible because many time they look so different in real life and even on your hand that the big pictures we see on the internet. If I'd purchased based on a picture I would have gone with the fishtail/step down pave but after seeing them would get the other one, no question.

FireGoddess

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow - boy, hands down I prefer the beadset band. What a difference!!!

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/9/2006 11:55:31 PM
Author: FireGoddess
Wow - boy, hands down I prefer the beadset band. What a difference!!!

yes, it really is amazing how different they really do look.

Sundial

Ideal_Rock
What a fun project for you Mrssalvo and it was so sweet of Bill to send you those rings! Such an interesting comparison, but I too prefer the bead set ring. My three stone ring has three sided bead set micro pave and I love the look. I have had my ring for almost a year now and I have not had any problems with the pave and I even use it in the ulta sonic cleaner about once a week. While the style is more delicate than some, a well made set should be able to stand up to reasonable wear.

ecf8503

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like the beadset look as well. The V or fishtail does have a bit more "harsh" look to it in the pics, IMO. Which one is more comfortable?????????

pebbles

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 5/10/2006 8:40:30 AM
Author: ecf8503
I like the beadset look as well. The V or fishtail does have a bit more ''harsh'' look to it in the pics, IMO. Which one is more comfortable?????????
Same feeling here. As I said before, I don''t think I have ever seen the fishtail one in person so I am not sure I would like it. Your pics give me a better idea, and definitely not as pretty as the bead set one -- especially seeing the two next to each other. And FWIW, I think 2.2mm would be awesome in the bead set.
1.gif

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks Sundial, I too love your ring and it''s good to know you''ve had no problems with the pave

eCF8503- they both are actually very comfy. the insides are smooth, no holes or anything and the sides even though the fishtail looks a little "harsher" it''s not at all.

peebles - thanks. I really love the 2mm width. but there''s no way to do the pave prongs unless I do the 2.2 and I want the wedding band and e-rings to be the same width so I''d have to go with the beadset on the 2.2 which I think will still look beautiful.

Lynn B

Ideal_Rock
Oh, Mrs. S -- you are such a sweetheart! xoxox! THANK YOU for the awesome photos. And how thoughtful of Bill to send out both rings for a "test drive"!

Hmmm... your opinions are so interesting to me! I wonder how the bead set compares to the WF Aramis setting? Do you have any idea?

I love both rings you photographed... and while I so value your opinions, I *think* I would still prefer the fishtail pave, only in a little narrower width. It is the daintiness of the band that leans me toward the bead-set, but I think if both were 2 mm, the clear winner (for me) would be the fishtail pave. I just LOVE that look!

Of course I have never seen ANY of these in person... only online. I love that where I live there is no crime, no traffic, and no smog... but with that also comes... NO STORES!!!!!
39.gif
39.gif
39.gif

Thanks again for sharing!
30.gif

Lynn

cutey TT

Shiny_Rock
Personally, I think both pave styles look beautiful...I know I would have a tough time choosing between the two. Looking at the pics though, I think that because your hands / fingers are super delicate, the bead-set pave will probably look better / less bulky. The fishtail pave has a more "traditional" pave look to me, but I think that because you will be ordering the e-ring and a matching w-band (both in the 2.2 mm width), the less bulkier of the two will probably look nicer.

HTH

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2006 12:41:22 PM
Author: Lynn B

Hmmm... your opinions are so interesting to me! I wonder how the bead set compares to the WF Aramis setting? Do you have any idea?

Thanks again for sharing!
30.gif

Lynn

Oh Lynn, you''re welcome. I hope this thread will help others who are comparing too. I think the beadset would be very close to the WF Aramis setting in how it looks. And, please don''t get me wrong, the fishtail is gorgeous just a different look. I prefer the beadset on me, but I honestly do not thing you can go wrong with either choice. And with your huge honking stone, it will look fabulous.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 5/10/2006 12:43:29 PM
Author: cutey TT
Personally, I think both pave styles look beautiful...I know I would have a tough time choosing between the two. Looking at the pics though, I think that because your hands / fingers are super delicate, the bead-set pave will probably look better / less bulky. The fishtail pave has a more ''traditional'' pave look to me, but I think that because you will be ordering the e-ring and a matching w-band (both in the 2.2 mm width), the less bulkier of the two will probably look nicer.

HTH

thanks cutey TT, it does help
1.gif

Hubby will have an opportunity to add his input later this week when he''s back home from a business trip. After that, we''re going to finally get the ball rolling on my upgrade although he''s said I must wait until our anniversary later this year for the e-ring
39.gif

but I can go ahead and order the wedding band
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results