shape
carat
color
clarity

Metallic freshwaters from pearlzaustralia (@katbran). I got my pinks!!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Saw this on IG and couldn't resist inquiring... I actually figured it was long gone but maybe she could find another...
Well, it wasn't gone, so I made it gone :bigsmile:

This was the first time I'd talked with Kathleen off PS and she's really sweet ❤️ Super responsive and helpful and totally on top of things. And her photo style, I really really like it, it's simple and methodical. Here's some of what she sent me:

- - - - -

"By window":

ByWindow_1.JPG

ByWindow_3.PNG

- - - - -

"Further from window":

FurtherFromWindow_1.PNG

FurtherFromWindow_2.PNG

FurtherFromWindow_3.PNG

- - - - -

"Lighting":

Lighting_1.PNG

Lighting_2.PNG

Lighting_3.PNG

- - - - -

I got lucky with this shipment - we'd both expected it to take the scenic route but it got to me within just a few days. And honestly, it's even nicer in-person!!

I don't know if the pearls are completely spherical but they "read" round even from up close. Very nice luster, minimal blemishing, and the colours - it's hard to describe the colours... Peaches and pinks and purples and olives. But this strand is so shifty, those colours seem to take on different personalities with the absolute smallest lighting changes. I haven't had too many freshwaters so I don't know if this sort of shiftiness is normal?

I love these colours on me, I can say that much ::) *And* they look better on me than on my husband!! Most pearls are better on him but I win on pale blue and peachy-pinky-purpley-olivey :bigsmile:

Some quick pics from me - pearls are 8-10mm, strung with Pattye's Rose and Shell threads:

PZA_A.png

PZA_B.png

BZA_C.png

PZA_D.png

PZA_E.png

PZA_F.png

Last edited:

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Oh My Gosh - freaking gorgeous! I saw that IG post and to my very untrained and dumb eyes, just thought they were too dark for me. They are stunning. Good score!!

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
I absolutely love those. The colors are it, for me!

Slickk

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh they are scrumptious. So yummy!! Happy for you, and yes, they do look fab on your skin tone! Enjoy!!

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock
Saw this on IG and couldn't resist inquiring... I actually figured it was long gone but maybe she could find another...

This was the first time I'd talked with Kathleen off PS and she's really sweet ❤️ Super responsive and helpful and totally on top of things. And her photo style, I really really like it, it's simple and methodical. Here's some of what she sent me:

- - - - -

"By window":

ByWindow_1.JPG

ByWindow_3.PNG

- - - - -

"Further from window":

FurtherFromWindow_1.PNG

FurtherFromWindow_2.PNG

FurtherFromWindow_3.PNG

- - - - -

"Lighting":

Lighting_1.PNG

Lighting_2.PNG

Lighting_3.PNG

- - - - -

I got lucky with this shipment - we'd both expected it to take the scenic route but it got to me within just a few days. And honestly, it's even nicer in-person!!

I don't know if the pearls are completely spherical but they "read" round even from up close. Very nice luster, minimal blemishing, and the colours - it's hard to describe the colours... Peaches and pinks and purples and olives. But this strand is so shifty, those colours seem to take on different personalities with the absolute smallest lighting changes. I haven't had too many freshwaters so I don't know if this sort of shiftiness is normal?

I love these colours on me, I can say that much ::) *And* they look better on me than on my husband!! Most pearls are better on him but I win on pale blue and peachy-pinky-purpley-olivey :bigsmile:

Some quick pics from me - pearls are 8-10mm, strung with Pattye's Rose and Shell threads:

PZA_A.png

PZA_B.png

BZA_C.png

PZA_D.png

PZA_E.png

PZA_F.png

those are fabulous :kiss2:
well done @katbran
very glad you sniffed them out Yssie

Ann

Brilliant_Rock
Had to drop by and take another look. I'm curious, how difficult is it to find a strand like this?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love the subtle variation in colour, gorgeous!

DK :kiss2:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sorry y’all!! That pesky work thing got in the way of my better life again :shock:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, @yssie, these are spectacular! I love this color(s) so much!!
Thank you!! The colours are lovely IRL - perfectly autumn, warm and cozy :love:

Oh My Gosh - freaking gorgeous! I saw that IG post and to my very untrained and dumb eyes, just thought they were too dark for me. They are stunning. Good score!!
Had to drop by and take another look. I'm curious, how difficult is it to find a strand like this?
So when I originally asked about them - I just assumed they were sold, and my actual question was if it would be possible to find another that’s similar. And of course katbran was confused because… Why would I want “similar” :lol: But she mentioned that she could look for another if I wanted something different! So maybe reach out?

I can say that your initial instinct wasn’t wrong!! I know you were looking for larger pearls in light colours, and this strand is neither of those things! The biggest pearls are 10mm and I’d put it solidly middle of the pack in terms of darkness. Darker than the light-bodied Tahitians you were considering. So it checks neither of your boxes TBH. But katbran might be able to find you another strand that’s legitimately on the light side!! ::)

I absolutely love those. The colors are it, for me!
Thank you!! I wanted something to match the peachy pink studs I just got, I was thinking Edisons but doubling up on these babies works so much better ❤️

I made it gone is my new favorite saying :lol:

Thise are absolutely gorgeous !
I gotta say I’m pretty good at Making Things Gone, y’know, practice makes perfect, and I’m really good about practicing a lot… :twisted2: Thank you love :bigsmile:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Usually not into pearls but wow. That is stunning!!! :kiss2:
this is how it starts .....;)2
I’ll ditto that, and I’m preemptively sorry :bigsmile:

To be honest I’ve got my own hangups. I do still think of saltwater as being better than freshwater. Not better quality, just more mind-clean. It’s not logical. But I did try to find saltwater peaches before turning to FW, and I’ve had to get over myself (a bit at least!) to appreciate the FW that I’ve bought lately. But objectively these pearls really *are* gorgeous, real world proof that my mental hangups are just that, which makes them a whole lot easier to squelch ::)

I don’t see myself being okay with spending a lot on FW. The type of money I’d put toward akoya or Tahitians, I wouldn’t allot those numbers to freshwater pearls.

Well. I say that now. Ask me again in a year or two I guess. :lol:

I loooooove them
Thank you! ::)

Oh they are scrumptious. So yummy!! Happy for you, and yes, they do look fab on your skin tone! Enjoy!!
Thank you!! My husband and I are pretty much opposites in terms of what’s flattering. He’s very fair with a lot of pink - and the way most of my pearls come to life on him is an eternal irritation!! So even though the competition is entirely one-sided I am smug in relishing every win :bigsmile:

They are lovely! I was hoping a PSer snagged them
:bigsmile: :halo: :love:

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Well I’m going to hire Yssie to take all my photos lol you have captured an almost impossible colour. I’m thrilled that you love them ! It’s wonderful when all the time spent sorting through hundreds of strands in Hong Kong to find one or two beauties pays off and my pearls go to a good home ! Thank you!

Rose is the perfect shade - doesn’t Pattye have the best selection!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
those are fabulous :kiss2:
well done @katbran
very glad you sniffed them out Yssie
Daisy you’re such a sweetheart. Thank you. Like always. ❤️

What gorgeous colors! I love this!
Thank you! These rose-gold-esque bronzes and warm pinks are exactly what I was hoping for :love:

I love the subtle variation in colour, gorgeous!

DK :kiss2:
The variation is really well done. Not too extreme but enough to be noticeable. I had this oddity clasp that I bought in 2020, a rose gold ball with a white gold tongue - I liked the idea of it but I never found a sensible use for it. Like, when would you want a multicoloured clasp? So turns out RG/WG multicoloured clasps work really well with peaches & cream pearls :bigsmile: I just had to wait a couple years to figure this out!!

The whole strand is really well done actually. I got an up close look at all the pearls when I took the hank apart and the majority are blemished either at the drill hole or right beside it. Invisible when strung but keeps price down! (Katbran’s price was WAY less than I was expecting. Just as a side note.) And they’re all drilled *properly* - all holes are the same size, all go straight through, no nacre chipping at the edges, no weird marks or anything… Whoever did the work took care of them. I’m very happy!!

A few more (phone) pics from before I strung them up :))

23C713A9-A0A2-4DF3-8D63-D33D848DAB38.jpeg

AC9EED0F-5F6B-4FBA-BF5B-A742D2A5D245.jpeg

078CF746-30CD-41A5-AC18-AD83900683A6.jpeg

0FFBDAF6-A4A2-47C6-8367-7BF735FA2E41.jpeg

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well I’m going to hire Yssie to take all my photos lol you have captured an almost impossible colour. I’m thrilled that you love them ! It’s wonderful when all the time spent sorting through hundreds of strands in Hong Kong to find one or two beauties pays off and my pearls go to a good home ! Thank you!

Rose is the perfect shade - doesn’t Pattye have the best selection!
Thank you so much!! You’re so easy to buy from and I’m super happy with my strand ❤️ I’ve seriously never been legit excited about freshwaters before!! So the fact that you also do SS is - well, probably something my wallet would do better forgetting, let’s be honest here :lol:

I don’t have any thread besides Pattye’s!! Never had a reason to buy from anyone else this side of the pond :bigsmile:

Pattye

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Yssie, Your new strand is certainly one to be excited about, just gorgeous! And your knotting is tight and consistent; it looks like you've combined both colors of thread for a subtle, interesting touch! It's my pleasure to offer excellent quality thread to stringers and beaders; many, many thanks for mentioning it!

Cinders

Shiny_Rock
What a beautiful variety of colors! And, they look amazing on you---congrats on finding such beauties.

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

Thank you! These rose-gold-esque bronzes and warm pinks are exactly what I was hoping for :love:

The variation is really well done. Not too extreme but enough to be noticeable. I had this oddity clasp that I bought in 2020, a rose gold ball with a white gold tongue - I liked the idea of it but I never found a sensible use for it. Like, when would you want a multicoloured clasp? So turns out RG/WG multicoloured clasps work really well with peaches & cream pearls :bigsmile: I just had to wait a couple years to figure this out!!

The whole strand is really well done actually. I got an up close look at all the pearls when I took the hank apart and the majority are blemished either at the drill hole or right beside it. Invisible when strung but keeps price down! (Katbran’s price was WAY less than I was expecting. Just as a side note.) And they’re all drilled *properly* - all holes are the same size, all go straight through, no nacre chipping at the edges, no weird marks or anything… Whoever did the work took care of them. I’m very happy!!

my heart goes into overdrive every time is see them

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yssie, Your new strand is certainly one to be excited about, just gorgeous! And your knotting is tight and consistent; it looks like you've combined both colors of thread for a subtle, interesting touch! It's my pleasure to offer excellent quality thread to stringers and beaders; many, many thanks for mentioning it!
Thank you!

Early 2020 I didn’t know how to finish a strand so I added a hollow gold bead to the end to shove the thread tails into :lol: I’ve improved since LOL :bigsmile:

I figured the clasp was pink and white so why not string it the same way, and I rather like it! ::)

What a beautiful variety of colors! And, they look amazing on you---congrats on finding such beauties.
Thank you so much!! ::)

Sunshine812

Shiny_Rock

- - - - -

"By window":

ByWindow_1.JPG

ByWindow_3.PNG

- - - - -

"Further from window":

FurtherFromWindow_1.PNG

FurtherFromWindow_2.PNG

FurtherFromWindow_3.PNG

- - - - -

"Lighting":

Lighting_1.PNG

Lighting_2.PNG

Lighting_3.PNG

- - - - -

PZA_A.png

PZA_B.png

BZA_C.png

PZA_D.png

PZA_E.png

PZA_F.png

Love, Love, Love these, Beautiful!!!!

cushioncutnut

Ideal_Rock
Premium

Oh my Heavens! You know how to pick them! Wow! Just like different, irridescent shades of Rose Gold Gorgeousness!! :kiss2: I have some beautiful, large metallics from another Catherine from Australia but these take the cake (I didn't pay that much for them either so I am not complaining) It makes me want to get them out and wear them again!

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Love, Love, Love these, Beautiful!!!!
Thank you so much!! :bigsmile:

Oh my Heavens! You know how to pick them! Wow! Just like different, irridescent shades of Rose Gold Gorgeousness!! :kiss2: I have some beautiful, large metallics from another Catherine from Australia but these take the cake (I didn't pay that much for them either so I am not complaining) It makes me want to get them out and wear them again!
If #validation had a PS persona - cushioncutnut you just embodied it for me and I thank you most graciously for that!! :love: :bigsmile:

These pearls really DO look like rose gold!! If rose gold had ever so slight shades - the metallic-ness is Allllll There. I think the metallics were more popular (maybe nicer? Or just easier to find?) a few years ago, Katbran said she'd had this strand for a while... I wonder why? Hmm. What's the difference between "metallic FW" and "Edisons", is it just size?

Annnyyyyway. Please do wear yours!!!! I wore these today toodling about the house, I love the way the colours change between rooms. Do yours shift too?

Um, lemme tag @katbran for the metallic fw vs edison question :halo:

OMG.
Hope I don't catch it.
What's the worst that can happen? :bigsmile:

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Thank you so much!! :bigsmile:

If #validation had a PS persona - cushioncutnut you just embodied it for me and I thank you most graciously for that!! :love: :bigsmile:

These pearls really DO look like rose gold!! If rose gold had ever so slight shades - the metallic-ness is Allllll There. I think the metallics were more popular (maybe nicer? Or just easier to find?) a few years ago, Katbran said she'd had this strand for a while... I wonder why? Hmm. What's the difference between "metallic FW" and "Edisons", is it just size?

Annnyyyyway. Please do wear yours!!!! I wore these today toodling about the house, I love the way the colours change between rooms. Do yours shift too?

Um, lemme tag @katbran for the metallic fw vs edison question :halo:

What's the worst that can happen? :bigsmile:

1670633374259.png

katbran

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Hi ! I did have those pearls for a few years... I've had most of my pearls for several years. Really for no other reason than I tend to not like to sell the more unusual ones lol Some pearls you can almost always find....round white, multi colour, lavender etc. They are the standard 'bread and b utter ' for the wholesalers. The storerooms are filled with huge bags of white pearl strands. But the unusual metallic colours.... those are not nearly as common. It takes a bit of luck and lots of sorting to find good strands.

As for Metallic v Edison. Metallic is used to describe the unusual sharp colour shifting lustre on pearls. Some sellers use it to just describe high lustre, but it's more than that.. it makes the colour almost impossible to describe.

Edison is the brand name for nucleated pearls produced by Grace Pearl. They ( as far a s I know) created the nucleated Freshwater pearls . I've always assumed it was to hopefully produce pearls that could compete with South Sea for size and lustre but without the high price for huge round white pearls. That said, the high end of large Edison etc can be quite pricey but 4k is a long way from 40k !

Edison can be Ripples( a wrinkled skin) or smooth and come in any shape. It's just the bead nucleation that is the same. The colours are also much more intense than the traditional Freshwater. This intense colour can be due to enhancement by various means but not always. When the GIA tested a sample batch provided by my friend Betty Sue King they found some enhanced and some not.....It's impossible to know with out lab testing. The wholesalers and the Grace offices always insist that everything is natural. Sadly, like other gems, colour enhancement can be present in Gold South Sea and Tahitian as well. I have a limited and trusted number of suppliers for those varieties. Beware the Pistachio Tahitians lol

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results