color
clarity

Metal color choice for spess

Which color gold?

• Total voters

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hello everyone, I am wondering if you can help me decide on metal color for my spessartite ring project. I've been wanting to try out My DiamondZone for a while, and happened to find a setting that fits my stone, so I just need to decide on metal color now! The options are 14k yellow, white, or rose. I am not cosidering 18k gold for this style because 1) I have had too many issues with 18k prongs bending in the past but never 14k, and 2) I paid very little for the stone, so I would rather not spend extra on the setting, and 3) it is a new vendor I am experimenting, so would rather not spend extra. Thanks and your input is appreciated greatly!

Here is the setting:
image.jpg image.jpg

I don't own yellow 14k rings, so took pictures with yellow 18k bands...I find 14k vs 18k color somewhat inconsistent though, as some 18k can be paler than some 14k golds.
image.jpg image.jpg

Picture taken with the stone next to 14k yellow earrings....stone looks very brown here, but I don't know if MDZ's 14k yellow alloy is as tinny/pale like the earrings
image.jpg

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
And next to rhodium plated white gold ring:
image.jpg

14k rose gold chain:
image.jpg

And an extremely crude mock up to visualize the approximate finger coverage using aluminum foil:
image.jpg image.jpg

Last edited:

elle_71125

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote for white or rose gold. Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong with any choice...these are just a personal preference. :D

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
So I am interested to know what everybody thinks! Strictly speaking about gold colors alone, I normally like yellow and white golds equally but rose gold doesn't look as good on my skin....I think, but not too sure. With colored stones, I prefer to set them in white gold if the stone can "survive" white gold as doing that makes the rings look less "cocktail", Just in my opinion.

gingercurls

Shiny_Rock
I have set all of my spessartites in yellow gold. I definitely like yellow gold but I also found that the spessartites that I have really popped the best in yellow gold. However, ff your stone is more of a reddish orange, I would probably set it in white gold over yellow.

Burmesedaze

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I think white gold is an easier option to match for skin tones and outfits, in addition to the varied coloured gemstones!

Just curious, what issues have you with the 18k prongs? I'm in Southeast Asia where the default is 18k gold and I've had no problem thus far with my jewellery, even those set over 10 years ago, prong-wise.

Gloria27

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The mock-up looks a bit like a diamond halo made of fat, marquise shaped diamonds/white stones arranged in a swirl, at least this is what I see when I look at it and seems gorgeous this way.
So my vote is for white metal with white melee, because it makes it pop .

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think white gold is an easier option to match for skin tones and outfits, in addition to the varied coloured gemstones!

Just curious, what issues have you with the 18k prongs? I'm in Southeast Asia where the default is 18k gold and I've had no problem thus far with my jewellery, even those set over 10 years ago, prong-wise.

I have some 18k yellow rings with either pointy claw prongs or multiple very small prongs (12+ prongs per stone...you know that look?), and have several prongs that were bent back. From just contact with clothing and whatnot. I have not had a prong snap or anything yet but it would not surprise me if that were to happen because I push the bent ones back with my fingernail. I haven't had issues with more normal size prongs though. The big bulky ones need more force to pull back. So maybe it onky becomes an issue with pointy thin tipped prongs? Anyways I avoid delicate prongs nowdays.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I think the mock up looks too white and sparkly which is too different than the filligree look. So I dug up some earrings that have cut out gold filigree to see if I can get a better visual....
image.jpg image.jpg
image.jpg image.jpg
All 14k gold. The filigree white gold earrings are not plated though, and that is the least flattering look for the stone probably.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
And an extremely crude mock up ...

... which, reminds me of a recently bookmarked object - WWW

Of course, things look different in pictures ,-)

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Eeeek I see there is a lack of consensus....I am probably going to vacillate between all three and then end up ordering something on a whim. I wish I wasn't so indecisive.

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like it with yellow gold, it makes the stone pop! But of course it depends also on you other jewelry choices, and your personal taste. White gold would be my second choice, and to tell the truth, I absolutely doesn’t like it with rose gold. But that is only my opinion, maybe you see it completely different.

KristinTech

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My spess is set in a vintage 14k yellow gold. I love seeing pics in all the colors and settings on PS and vendor sites, but they don’t always show the stone in its brownish state. Mine is from Barry Bridgestock and it is gorgeous—but it does turn brownish in certain light, and I don’t think that would look great in a white gold setting. When it is in its neon orange state, though, it really does look spectacular in any color setting! I love mine and I get comments on it all the time due to the dazzling color (and mine is tiny compared to yours!). I can’t wait to see what you come up with!

ringo865

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote yellow, unless you get melee. Then I could vote white or yellow.

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have a spessartite that is more of a mandarin color, not as bold as yours. It looked a little washed out with yellow gold so I went with white. (White gold is not my favorite but it’s more of a blank canvas for colored gems.) I used an inexpensive halo setting from Ivy & Rose and it came out nice.

Yours looks beautiful with the yellow gold as well. It’s more of a blended look, and maybe the white gold is a little harsh. The filigree look is very pretty. I also like the aluminum foil!

MissyBeaucoup

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Cockatiel, if you’ll hop over to the “Fabulous CS rings under $1250” thread, I bumped my mandarin garnet pictures to the end. My photos aren’t that great but maybe it will help you visualize. My stone photographed darker than it looks to me, which is weird.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted YG. I think it looks great with spessartite.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I vote yellow! In the pics you have attached the WG doesn't make the stone pop! I find the less yellow the gold, the less the stone pops.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I have an update! I ordered a setting, but it's a different one from the one I was considering. I picked it up today, it's from mydiamondzone. I tried to take some pics w the spess sitting on top of the mount. I am kind of divided whether I should set it or not....
IMG_20180206_192741.jpg
IMG_20180206_193114.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180206_193454.jpg
    IMG_20180206_193454.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Ok so I ordered it in 14k yellow gold. I would say it is a silvery type of 14k yellow gold alloy. As for the setting I was expecting something very lightweight and almost too thin based on the reviews but I was pleasantly surprised that it's not flimsy or anything like that. It will hold up fine for occasional wear. I cannot for the love of god take an ok picture of the color of the spess and the metal! My phone is extremely slow and being weird right now so I will try to upload more pics here, not sure if they will show up properly.
IMG_20180206_193454.jpg
IMG_20180206_193325.jpg

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I am divided whether to set the spess or not in that setting. I did try to place some other loose stones on top of that setting and I find I like the look of a pink or light purple stone for this particular setting. Like this for example.
IMG_20180206_194707.jpg
Now that pink spinel is too small so I would have to buy another stone if I really wanted to put a pink stone in there. :lol::lol::lol:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I also love the setting for the spessertite. It has an Art Deco touch that I think really sets it apart from your average halo. I think it looks fabulous in there. Is there a side view of the stone in that setting?

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I just took some random photos last night in a horrible fluorescent bulb lit room and dropped off the ring and stone this morning at the jeweler. Unfortunately I only have real crap photos so far but here it goes.

IMG_20180206_193425.jpg IMG_20180206_193421.jpg
IMG_20180206_194401.jpg

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I will take proper pics once I get the ring back!!!! I am kind of expecting some sort of disaster though....just mentally preparing myself for some less than good outcome. I think lurking on PS all these years has made me paranoid. I see big scary flaws in everything I have!

I asked if the garnet will be put in some ultrasonic. Jeweler said yes and told me that the ultrasonic solution they have is very safe, even for emeralds. There was some language barrier so I didn't argue further....but yeah :lol:. I told him the stone is untreated but very included, and he was like oh as long as it's untreated no worries! :shock::shock::shock: He estimated $70 for resizing and setting so I was like, OK just do your best I won't be upset if you mess up a $70 job, take as long as you need.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Never ever put stones in Ultrasonic cleaners, especially if included.

The setting is beautiful, can't wait to see the finished ring.

Cockatiel

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I know....I told him not to ultrasonic but he said it is safe, even for emeralds, and I think he will still put it in the ultrasonic cleaner. Maybe he will also steam clean the ring too. :(sad:(sad:(sad

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
If it makes you feel better I'm certain my emerald went into the ultrasonic cleaner and has lived to tell the tale.

You'll be alright!

dkata

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I really like your speed in the YG setting. I hope, everything turns out well!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results