shape
carat
color
clarity

Metal choice for purply-pink-mauvey spinel - Help!

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Hey everyone! :wavey:

I'm beginning to embark on my very first custom-ring project. There's a small story behind this spinel -- I was searching for a center stone for my future engagement ring, and thought this spinel might be "the one." Long story short, it ended up not being it, but I really really loved it and was still sad to have to send it back. In the end, my mom surprised me by purchasing it as a Christmas present for me so we can create a ring! I'm lucky to have a mom who loves jewelry as much (or more) than me. So this spinel means a lot to me and I'm excited to start creating a ring for it.

Also, Roger Dery and his wife are the most patient, lovely people to work with, and I recommend anyone lurking around here who is searching for a particular stone to get in contact with them!!!

I have endless ideas for the setting, but I'm really stuck on the metal choice. I'm attaching a lot of pictures of the spinel to give everyone an idea of how it looks in various lighting situations. I'm still learning about matching the correct metal choices to stone colors, and this stone is such an interesting color that I just can't decide which metal would be best. I initially thought rose gold, but I want to hear what yall have to say!

Indoors in mixed lighting:

Outdoors:

spinel_indoors.jpg

spinel_indoors_2.jpg

spinel_indoors_3.jpg

spinel_outdoors.jpg

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Outdoors again:

Incandescent:

Fluorescent:

spinel_outdoors_2.jpg

spinel_incandescent.jpg

spinel_fluorescent.jpg

spinel_fluorescent_2.jpg

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just wanted to say that I LOVE your stone! Gorgeous! I'm no expert on metal choice, but I would lean towards yellow gold--maybe just because I almost think that rose gold might look too similar to your stone, and you might lose some of the "pop" of color. Also I can more easily picture yellow gold on your skin tone.

But hopefully other CS experts can chime in too :)

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yellow is my vote as well

picante27

Shiny_Rock
Your spinel is so pretty! Another vote for yellow gold!

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Lovedogs, Niel, and picante27 -- thank you so much! See, I wouldn't have thought of yellow gold, but now that everyone has voted for it I can totally see it! If anyone has some square cushion settings they like I would love to see them for some inspiration [emoji16]

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arabella|1443221840|3931874 said:
Lovedogs, Niel, and picante27 -- thank you so much! See, I wouldn't have thought of yellow gold, but now that everyone has voted for it I can totally see it! If anyone has some square cushion settings they like I would love to see them for some inspiration [emoji16]

Plain metal or with pave? Side stones?

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Niel said:

I've been considering all three of those, but I'm leery of side stones just because the stone is 8x8 and I have really small hands and small fingers (5.5-5.75). I would think the side stones would have to be pretty small if I went that route but I am open to it. I am also a big fan of milgraining and would like to incorporate that in some way especially if I decide to do plain metal.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arabella|1443224791|3931887 said:
Niel said:

I've been considering all three of those, but I'm leery of side stones just because the stone is 8x8 and I have really small hands and small fingers (5.5-5.75). I would think the side stones would have to be pretty small if I went that route but I am open to it. I am also a big fan of milgraining and would like to incorporate that in some way especially if I decide to do plain metal.

What does your e ring look like? Do you want something similar or different?

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Niel -- I don't have an ering yet, hopefully by the end of the year...I left it in my boyfriend's hands after recently picking out the center stone, with my only stipulation being that it's a simple solitaire. So I would like this one to be more "flashy" than that. I have read on here that halos tend to darken the center stone, so if that's true I don't think I want to make this spinel any darker.

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a spinel that is very similar in color and it is set with a Yellow Gold/FY halo and a WG band. I like it with yellow gold.

dsc_3078.jpg

dsc_3079.jpg

dsc_3097.jpg

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Catmom -- thank you for the YG visual!! Your ring is beautiful!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Alright. I will say,if your e ring is a soli, and they are both colored stones, I would probably want something withnpave or sidestones but not a halo.

For whatever reason I think it would compete or be a "second e ring" rather than a rhr if you did a halo.
How much morey do you have for the setting. I'd think that would determine if it were a 3stone or pave.

Also, do you prefer a more timeless, more modern, or more vintage look?

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have a similar colored spinel as well, same shape too, and I set it in high karat yellow gold metal halo, with a white gold shank, like Catmom's beautiful ring. At least this pic gives you an idea of what a cushion shape would look like. I had a heart attack once when the stone fell out of the setting, and I lost it!!! It was a three carat stone with a high crown. With a high crown you have to make sure you have longer prongs. I opted to get double prongs to ensure it wouldn't go anywhere, so make sure yours is well set if it has a high crown. I found the stone on my car floor under my seat, long story!

It's the one on the right. The one on the left is a mahenge, sorry, couldn't find an "alone" pic of it.

tltwo_spinels.jpg

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
LOVE your new CS!! What a thoughtful Mom. :bigsmile:

So yellow gold it is. Personally I take a long time to pick a setting. I would look at all of the cushions on PS (even the diamond cushions!) and see which settings really sing to you. There are some beautiful settings on PS and many can be found "in stock" or "off the shelf" by most jewelers so you won't have to go custom unless you want to.

Check out this thread for starters [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-cuts-a-collection.135031/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-cuts-a-collection.135031/[/URL]

I would also recommend looking at Etsy and someplace with vintage styles, such as Lang Antiques just to figure out what style you really like. Have fun!

Catmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
arabella|1443292321|3932136 said:
Catmom -- thank you for the YG visual!! Your ring is beautiful!

Thank you arabella, I don't think you can go wrong with yellow gold.

TL said:
I have a similar colored spinel as well, same shape too, and I set it in high karat yellow gold metal halo, with a white gold shank, like Catmom's beautiful ring. At least this pic gives you an idea of what a cushion shape would look like. I had a heart attack once when the stone fell out of the setting, and I lost it!!! It was a three carat stone with a high crown. With a high crown you have to make sure you have longer prongs. I opted to get double prongs to ensure it wouldn't go anywhere, so make sure yours is well set if it has a high crown. I found the stone on my car floor under my seat, long story!

It's the one on the right. The one on the left is a mahenge, sorry, couldn't find an "alone" pic of it.

tltwo_spinels.jpg

Thanks TL! Your ring is gorgeous! I like the contrasting golds.

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1443295869|3932161 said:
Alright. I will say,if your e ring is a soli, and they are both colored stones, I would probably want something withnpave or sidestones but not a halo.

For whatever reason I think it would compete or be a "second e ring" rather than a rhr if you did a halo.
How much morey do you have for the setting. I'd think that would determine if it were a 3stone or pave.

Also, do you prefer a more timeless, more modern, or more vintage look?

I honestly have not figured out a budget for this ring, mostly because I'm naive about how much custom work costs. I'm hoping to get a couple of quotes before deciding on how intricate the setting will be. I do prefer 3 stone settings though, and I guess more timeless or vintage-styled. Out of all the loose stones I have to set (which keeps growing because I have little self control :wall: ) this one is the one that is the most important to me and the one I will be spending the most on for the foreseeable future.

TL said:

tltwo_spinels.jpg

:errrr: Oh my gosh I would have had multiple heart attacks if that happened! I'm so glad you found it -- your ring is beautiful as well! Thank you for the advice about the prongs. I have been planning on double claw prongs because I love the look, so that's good to know!

Stone Hunter said:
LOVE your new CS!! What a thoughtful Mom. :bigsmile:

So yellow gold it is. Personally I take a long time to pick a setting. I would look at all of the cushions on PS (even the diamond cushions!) and see which settings really sing to you. There are some beautiful settings on PS and many can be found "in stock" or "off the shelf" by most jewelers so you won't have to go custom unless you want to.

Check out this thread for starters [URL='https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-cuts-a-collection.135031/']https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/cushion-cuts-a-collection.135031/[/URL]

I would also recommend looking at Etsy and someplace with vintage styles, such as Lang Antiques just to figure out what style you really like. Have fun!

Thank you Stone Hunter! I am in love with the color of it -- it's very "me." And yes, I know it's going to take me a long time to decide on a setting as well! that's why I wanted to start asking for advice now :)) Thanks for the suggestions, I will definitely go look. I am tentatively planning on visiting my parents' trusted jeweler in a couple of weeks with my mom to start the ball rolling... hopefully I have more concrete ideas by then. Your suggestions will help!

_lovesvintage_

Brilliant_Rock
I really like how this is going so far. Can't wait to see your beautiful stone set once you decide how to do it.

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One idea that could keep side stones in without taking up too much room on your finger or too much $$

You could get the look without bezeling the center stone

screenshot_2015-07-03-10-21-52_0.jpg

screenshot_2014-05-23-15-40-54_0.jpg

apacherose

Brilliant_Rock
Great suggestions, Niel. Love the yg with this stone, the examples on this thread are really beautiful.

arabella

Shiny_Rock
Niel|1443437228|3932695 said:
One idea that could keep side stones in without taking up too much room on your finger or too much $$

You could get the look without bezeling the center stone

Ohh I love this Niel!! Thank you!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results